PDA

View Full Version : Is mouse and keyboard competitive?

Sunde.5SFG
02-12-2017, 11:30 PM
Im just curious, do you guys feel that mouse and keyboard players will be able to compete vs controllers? I felt like i had reasonable success with m+kb. But i'd like to know what you guys think of this. :p

GloriousFists
02-12-2017, 11:34 PM
I have M&K and have no problems at all. It's all practice.

Versuviou5
02-12-2017, 11:37 PM
Oh boy... controller... Not gunna lie, those xbox elite controller players were wreaking havoc... So much more of an advantage over K+M just gotta say that...

You can K+M though, feels worlds different from EZ controller mode though...

Zemus-
02-12-2017, 11:39 PM
Steep learning curve for M&K but once you get used to it, its fine, Controller really is the way to go for this game though imo

GloriousFists
02-12-2017, 11:39 PM
For me Im a total disaster with controler never liked it. but it wasnt that bad I had 80% overall games victory.The good thing I would like to see is keybinding system at least for those ike me that use M&K.

Silvercl0uds
02-12-2017, 11:48 PM
why do you think kb + m is bad? i didnt have any problems with it

Oupyz
02-12-2017, 11:49 PM
the problem with mouse for block it's pretty unstable , i'm not sure if i should set the sensitivity to 20 or 0 , on 20 it's fast and very unstable , on 0 it's 2 slow to block direction attack inbetween it becomes unstable again , someone with better experience can he share his configuration

thanks

sayi50
02-12-2017, 11:50 PM
As long as you have a 4th button your mouse that you can assign the Guard Break to, yeah. Or assign it to F on keyboard. Somewhere close. Changing guards is not an issue since all you have to do is a very slight wrist movement. I was very comfortable with the default settings for the block and mouse sensitivity.

Bananas1000
02-12-2017, 11:59 PM
I was playing the Ps4 beta first, then I downloaded the PC version.

Disclaimer: I have a mouse with 5 keys.

When I played the PC version I was thinking "Why did I ever play with controller?". For me, blocking with the mouse is so much quicker, easier and more responsive, blocking guard breaks was also much easier.

Just before the end of the beta I tried the PS4 version again and it felt slow and unresponsive, I couldn't block combos nearly as well as on PC.

The only thing that was easier PS4 version were deflects. A/D+Space is a little hard to time well

Mr.0reo
02-13-2017, 12:01 AM
This is a xbox game ported to PC. So because that reason i will use a gamepad because the game was made thinking about consoles.

Also if someone host a tournament is 99.9% on a XBONE.

Damage_Incorp
02-13-2017, 12:03 AM
No.

Switching guards between combos requries you to either time it perfectly or keep moving the mouse back and forth until it registers.

With a controller you just hold it and it changes when possible

KB + mouse is crap

Scarraner
02-13-2017, 12:11 AM
No.

Switching guards between combos requries you to either time it perfectly or keep moving the mouse back and forth until it registers.

With a controller you just hold it and it changes when possible

KB + mouse is crap

Ahm, no? Guard changing is easy and fast with mouse, and the mouse is always on a similiar position on my mousepad.

DNA0Tannis
02-13-2017, 12:16 AM
I only played with a Mouse and Keyboard, and I was having a hell of a time trying to block with my mouse... it just wouldn't register fast enough. and if it was 2 or more fighting me, I was dead quick...

just went and bought a Xbox one remote to try it, but the open beta is over... guess I have to wait a few days now...

Tannis

Damage_Incorp
02-13-2017, 12:16 AM
Ahm, no? Guard changing is easy and fast with mouse, and the mouse is always on a similiar position on my mousepad.

Im not talking about guard changing in general,im talking combos

When playing with mouse you have to do hit->move left->move left->move left->move left->left hit->move right->move right->move right->right hit etc , OR time it perfectly

With controller you do hit->hold right->right hit->hold left->left hit.

Because if you move your mouse somewhere before doing the next attack ,the position isnt saved until guard can be changed

Scarraner
02-13-2017, 12:26 AM
I didnt have problems with combos, and why should i move my mouse somewhere before doing the attack? That doesnt make sense at all.

Damage_Incorp
02-13-2017, 12:32 AM
I didnt have problems with combos, and why should i move my mouse somewhere before doing the attack? That doesnt make sense at all.

Because you have an extra thing you have to time that isnt needed with consoles.Whether you can do it is irrelevant,i can do it too but it doesnt mean it isnt annoying.Especially with conqueror light attack chain

Scarraner
02-13-2017, 12:35 AM
I wouldnt even notice this until i read your post, so it isnt really a thing for me to time, its musclememory :)

Fibrillous
02-13-2017, 12:56 AM
the problem with mouse for block it's pretty unstable , i'm not sure if i should set the sensitivity to 20 or 0 , on 20 it's fast and very unstable , on 0 it's 2 slow to block direction attack inbetween it becomes unstable again , someone with better experience can he share his configuration

thanks

I started the game with my ps4 controller but switched to mouse and keyboard because moving the right analog stick to the very edge of its housing the register the stance change felt too sluggish for me. I jump around for sensitivity, but i think i enjoyed between 16-20. You just need to no freak out when you see an attack. You need to almost train yourself to move your mouse precisely and only once. shakily flinging your arm up will work but if youre too shakey at a high enough sensitivity, youll end up pulling it an odd direction and screwing yourself. mouse and keyboard, for me, is definitely WAY better for playing the game competitively

Sunde.5SFG
02-13-2017, 01:39 AM
Alright guys, many good points raised here. I guess i'll stick with my mouse and keyboard, and try to master the game with this, hopefully it can be done. I'd love to see some super competitive players ripping people up on the mouse / keyboard tho, just to know that it can be done.

Goat3_Saeko
02-13-2017, 01:55 AM
Get a controller I played 30hours on closed beta with m/k and the open beta same time with xbox one controller, I can say to you is much better with the controller.

Tenmar
02-13-2017, 02:08 AM
Im just curious, do you guys feel that mouse and keyboard players will be able to compete vs controllers? I felt like i had reasonable success with m+kb. But i'd like to know what you guys think of this. :p

If anything Mouse and Keyboard is the best control setup for For Honor. And it makes sense when you think about it.

First off, let's all just admit that in terms of controls, For Honor is a VERY button busy game. Every single input in this game on a controller is used and used consistently. So you will while playing with a game pad will constantly be moving your thumb between the button layout to the right analogue stick and using your left thumb to move from the d-pad to left analogue stick.

So because of this everytime you need to respond to a counter guard break or use a feat you will when using a gamepad have to decide between moving and using a feat, or picking a stance or dodge/guard break/cancel heavy attack(feint). That small delay adds up when going up against another player.

Now think about a keyboard/mouse setup. First, every button can be customized unlike the controller. But even if you could remap the controller you still have that choice between using the d-pad/buttons versus the analogue sticks and the delay. Now when you are using a keyboard/mouse, every single command will not be a choice between moving your thumb causing a delay but have every ability at your fingertips. Also because of this, changing stance while attack is a lot more efficient as you only need to move your mouse slightly in a direction.

Every person I dueled against in 1v1 the higher rank I went both in closed beta and in the open when I asked said they used keyboard as their controller setup.

LuzAriusLive
02-13-2017, 02:13 AM
I'm at 60% W/L ratio, 1.46 kill/death ratio using mouse & keyboard.

McLoudAether
02-13-2017, 02:32 AM
I wanted to try out M+KB on PC but beta shut down sooner than I knew :(

Still can't decide on PC vs PS4... so how do you block on PC with Mouse+Keyboard? Do you have to move the mouse or can you use keyboard buttons too?

Robbeeeen
02-13-2017, 02:57 AM
It's easy logic:

You NEED to access the following buttons at all times without sacrificing your block:

GB, dodge, feint, heavy-attack, light-attack, hiddenstance / perfectblock. Thats 6 buttons you need to be able to press without moving your thumb from the right stick. It's impossible with a standard XBOX controller.

With a mouse + keyboard I can reliably cancel my attempted parry to block a guardbreak after the enemy fainted me, or change my blockdirection while dodging backwards. I just need to move my mouse in a controlled fashion and not panic. Cant do that on a controller.

Its also much easier to block as an assassin because you get used to moving your mouse into the direction you are blocking into each time you block, instead of just keeping it there all the time. More confusing for the enemy i imagine as well.
Of course you can also keep it at a certain side if you need to, to protect urself against fast attacks for example vs the zone attack of the warden.

Regarding a comment before how you cannot change direction midcombo with mouse: you CAN. While your sword swings, move mouse to the needed direction. The position will be saved as indicated by the blacked out position of the arrow, which turns the normal grey when your character can swing again.

Easy decision for me and works just perfectly.

Patoson
02-13-2017, 01:25 PM
The game works quite well with keyboard and mouse. I've never been able to play with a gamepad, and, even if m+k is a lot harder than gamepad, I will still play with the former. I enjoyed the open beta a lot, but not that much when it came to the mouse, because I've always played with inverted mouse for some reason, and this game has that option in the controls menu, yet it doesn't work properly or it's unfinished. It only works outside of guard mode, so, whenever I had to fight, I was hit with overhead attacks most of the time and I couldn't use the light attack parry as warden most of the times because, since this is counterintuitive for me, I was too slow to react.

I made a couple of threads about it and I haven't seen a reply or it being added to the PC known issues. So I've had to ask for a refund because, as much as I love the game, I just can't play it like this. If they ever fix the inverted mouse option, I will buy it again for sure.

Aarpian2
02-13-2017, 01:55 PM

I'm on the leaderboards for brawl, had a 96% win rate between duel+brawl on conq. I use M+KB. Some of the best players I know use M+KB.

Ch00senOn3
02-13-2017, 02:00 PM
so i play it on Xbox ... closed beta with the normal xbox controller
open beta with the elite controller

elite controller is much better as the normal controller

easier to block and "dodge"...

so but, PC keyboard is interesting too
u can use makros for your combos!