PDA

View Full Version : [PSA] [PC] If you're getting this game to play with friends on the same network...

GotItFromEbay
02-12-2017, 08:38 AM
Just wanted to give this PSA before people pay $60 for this game with the expectation of being able to play with other people within their home/dorm/etc. (This is specifically for PC. No idea if it affects consoles.)

Myself and my house mates were unable to play the open beta together at all. We weren't even able to play the beta at the same time without getting a critical error every 5 min.
After lots of messing around with the router (port triggering), google searches, testing/playing with a VPN running, I narrowed the problem down to the fact that we are all using the same external IP. This is normal for consumer grade internet.

With a VPN running, we were able to at least play the beta at the same time, but never together. The only solution to this problem would be to pay extra every month for a business package (usually used for hosting servers) from our ISP to get more than one external IP.

For all the PC players who are going to use the internet that their college provides them in their dorms, have shared internet in their apartment building, or share the internet in their homes with their room/house mates... if you don't have different external IPs, you will not be able to play together. My house mates and I aren't the only ones who have had this problem and after some google searches, this problem persists even in other Ubisoft games to this day (mainly RB6: Siege). I doubt it will get fixed, but I really hope that spreading the word will either save people money or persuade Ubisoft to add launch commands to their game to let people force game client ports to remedy this problem.

EDIT: Some people in this thread are reporting that they didn't have the same problem my house mates and I did. My router (Asus RT-AC3100) could be the problem. BUT, I don't think having to buy a new router or pay extra every month for a block of external IPs is a suitable solution to a problem that many AAA titles already have a workaround for.

Tenmar
02-12-2017, 10:47 AM
Just wanted to give this PSA before people pay $60 for this game with the expectation of being able to play with other people within their home/dorm/etc. (This is specifically for PC. No idea if it affects consoles.)

Myself and my house mates were unable to play the open beta together at all. We weren't even able to play the beta at the same time without getting a critical error every 5 min.
After lots of messing around with the router (port triggering), google searches, testing/playing with a VPN running, I narrowed the problem down to the fact that we are all using the same external IP. This is normal for consumer grade internet.

With a VPN running, we were able to at least play the beta at the same time, but never together. The only solution to this problem would be to pay extra every month for a business package (usually used for hosting servers) from our ISP to get more than one external IP.

For all the PC players who are going to use the internet that their college provides them in their dorms, have shared internet in their apartment building, or share the internet in their homes with their room/house mates... if you don't have different external IPs, you will not be able to play together. My house mates and I aren't the only ones who have had this problem and after some google searches, this problem persists even in other Ubisoft games to this day (mainly RB6: Siege). I doubt it will get fixed, but I really hope that spreading the word will either save people money or persuade Ubisoft to add launch commands to their game to let people force game client ports to remedy this problem.

Yeah. Welcome to the downsides of Peer to Peer. If you all share the same external IP of course you're not going to be able to play because it will only authenticate one user.

One of the many reason why people say this game should have dedicated servers and why this game will fail without it.

Honestly you and your friends should just ditch this game and find a game that lets you play together. This is an amazing game but like the Falcons they dropped the ball when it comes to the most important part of their game.

Sanguinius42
02-12-2017, 04:48 PM
I don't know how you managed but yesterday evening I played easily with my brother. Me on my pc wired and he with his laptop wi-fi. Same router. .. so I guess same external ip

GotItFromEbay
02-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Yeah. Welcome to the downsides of Peer to Peer. If you all share the same external IP of course you're not going to be able to play because it will only authenticate one user.

One of the many reason why people say this game should have dedicated servers and why this game will fail without it.

Honestly you and your friends should just ditch this game and find a game that lets you play together. This is an amazing game but like the Falcons they dropped the ball when it comes to the most important part of their game.

I'm not entirely sure it a P2P issue because games (Battlefield) that use dedicated servers had this problem too. But you can add launch parameters on those games to force the client's port to avoid the problem.

GotItFromEbay
02-12-2017, 07:55 PM

I don't think it has to do with P2P. I believe it is a "multiple people using the same port" issue. If the host is listening for data to come through on port 3074 from external IP 1.2.3.4 and gets a packet stream from multiple computers at that IP all on port 3074, then which stream is it supposed to use? It doesn't have the ability to tie certain streams to certain clients running behind that IP.

Battlefield games have this same issue and they use dedicated servers. But you can add launch commands to those games to force your client to a certain port. So everyone on the same network can force their client to a different port to avoid any conflicts with data routing.

teksuo1
02-12-2017, 07:57 PM
rip LAN opportunities.

GotItFromEbay
02-13-2017, 12:46 AM
rip LAN opportunities.

If everyone is on the LAN only playing against other players on the LAN, then they should be fine. There will be problems when they attempt to play matches online against other players not on the LAN.

GotItFromEbay
02-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Bumping for awareness.

Salty_Saltcreek
02-13-2017, 02:39 PM
A lot of games have this problem, even games with their own servers. This is not a P2P issue.

Ch00senOn3
02-13-2017, 02:41 PM
my Father and me could play with 2 Xbox ... sure we got some problems with server connecting...

but this is Ubisoft problem , not our...
because, when i play alone with other friends we got the same connections problems every ~30mins.
or when the battle failed. than game has to restart...

so if it your IP problem... than you should say the router that everyone got a difficult IP...

but mostly the router do it automatic.
when i remember our old router from stoneage :D , do it not automaticly

PPLB
02-13-2017, 02:42 PM
I don't think it has to do with P2P. I believe it is a "multiple people using the same port" issue. If the host is listening for data to come through on port 3074 from external IP 1.2.3.4 and gets a packet stream from multiple computers at that IP all on port 3074, then which stream is it supposed to use? It doesn't have the ability to tie certain streams to certain clients running behind that IP.

Battlefield games have this same issue and they use dedicated servers. But you can add launch commands to those games to force your client to a certain port. So everyone on the same network can force their client to a different port to avoid any conflicts with data routing.

I might not be as familiar with packet streams, and that layer of networking as you are, but I'm trying to help the thinking process.

When I read your explanation FTP came to my mind. FTP uses a single port and allows different users from one IP address to upload while it's still able to differ the streams. I am not sure if both packet streams are even close to compatible with eachother, but if they are, wouldn't that mean that either the game is missing a part in which it's still able to figure out different streams from a single IP address?
I know that FTP requires connection tracking to make this all possible. Is it possible that this isn't working on your end of the internet? (Firewall)

KizeKaze
02-13-2017, 03:29 PM
I played with my brother in the same room on the same router. we're both wired. brawls 4 lyfe. Never had a problem with NOT playing with eachother

GotItFromEbay
02-13-2017, 06:41 PM
I might not be as familiar with packet streams, and that layer of networking as you are, but I'm trying to help the thinking process.

When I read your explanation FTP came to my mind. FTP uses a single port and allows different users from one IP address to upload while it's still able to differ the streams. I am not sure if both packet streams are even close to compatible with eachother, but if they are, wouldn't that mean that either the game is missing a part in which it's still able to figure out different streams from a single IP address?
I know that FTP requires connection tracking to make this all possible. Is it possible that this isn't working on your end of the internet? (Firewall)

I'm not very knowledgeable with packet streams either (or networking for that matter). I just understand the basics.

I tried setting my PC in the DMZ on the router while leaving port triggering up and playing with only one of my house mates. Still had the same issues.

I don't think the game can differentiate between packet streams from the same IP and that's where this issue comes up.

bakaekze
02-13-2017, 10:08 PM
No such problems for me. Me and my wife played together without any problems and we both had green nat (static ip, upnp on router)

keemz
02-13-2017, 10:51 PM
Hi me and mt brother have run into this problem a few times with ubisoft games didn't happen to us during the beta seemed to be fine but previously enabling edge traversal in windows firewall settings for the specific game in the inbound rules helped us play the games that we couldn't before together

CSFantomSamurai
02-13-2017, 10:59 PM
Me and 3 friends played the beta together all weekend in the same room no issues.

Tharrisonne
02-14-2017, 12:18 AM
Bump. This NEEDS to change. A HUGE part of the appeal for me and my friends was playing a new competative game in the same room.

vaaloki
02-14-2017, 12:25 AM

That isn't really a p2p downside.. We used to play age of empires peer to peer just fine on the same i.p with different cd keys.. They need to re-work the code a bit to allow this. Not that I am in this position in my house since I am the only one playing this.. But I can see this being a real problem for a ton of other people..

Imp-C-Bravo
02-14-2017, 02:05 AM

I think that's a Port thing. Have you tried dedicating different ports to different systems?

BillyJohnCena
02-14-2017, 02:41 AM
There was absolutely no problems in those regards here. Me and roomate play 2nd tech test, closed beta and open beta in the same house and same router, both hardwired. Either A) you were both trying to use the same Uplay account for some insane reason or B) Your router is miserable at it's job and isn't opening/closing ports correctly. Make sure your router has Upnp enabled.

GotItFromEbay
02-14-2017, 06:12 AM
I think that's a Port thing. Have you tried dedicating different ports to different systems?

That's what I'm asking for in the original post. The ability to force the game client to a specific port.

There was absolutely no problems in those regards here. Me and roomate play 2nd tech test, closed beta and open beta in the same house and same router, both hardwired. Either A) you were both trying to use the same Uplay account for some insane reason or B) Your router is miserable at it's job and isn't opening/closing ports correctly. Make sure your router has Upnp enabled.

Hmmmm. Seems like a mixed bag of works/doesn't work for for people. Perhaps it is our router (Asus RT-AC3100). We are definitely not using the same UPlay account. We did try with UPnP on and off and still got the same results.

EDIT: Needless to say, I don't think buying a new router or paying extra every month for a block of external IPs is what I would consider a suitable fix when other AAA titles already have workarounds for this problem.

keemz
02-14-2017, 03:01 PM
I did post before but you might of missed it. Try edge traversal it worked for me and my brother on other uplay titles

GotItFromEbay
02-17-2017, 12:31 AM
I did post before but you might of missed it. Try edge traversal it worked for me and my brother on other uplay titles

Unfortunately I saw you comment after the beta was already over. Wasn't gonna have all 3 of us spend $60 each to test it out. We found out that a block of 5 usable external IPs was only $15/month from our ISP. So we each would have to just pay an extra $5/month. We went ahead and got a block of IPs. We've been able to play together without getting DC'd since launch day.