PDA

View Full Version : IL-2m3 model errors

Robertomoe
02-29-2004, 09:13 PM
I believe that you have two errors in your Il-2 model.

I have not played the game yet since I am awaiting the release of the Gold pack, but I think you have incorrect models. I am fairly certain that Sturmoviks did not have the gunsight on the windshield. There were lines on the glass, but only to aid in aiming bombs. The sighting of the guns was done with an actual gunsight. Also, I think the rear gun is inaccurate. I have not been able to find the correct photos, but I recall that there is a metal loop sight, not a glass sight and that all the detail on the left side of the gun is nonexistant. My source is a Scale model built by Accurate Miniatures, who used the ILYUSHIN DESIGN BUREAU and the the KBLEY MUSEUM as their references.

Robertomoe
02-29-2004, 09:13 PM

I have not played the game yet since I am awaiting the release of the Gold pack, but I think you have incorrect models. I am fairly certain that Sturmoviks did not have the gunsight on the windshield. There were lines on the glass, but only to aid in aiming bombs. The sighting of the guns was done with an actual gunsight. Also, I think the rear gun is inaccurate. I have not been able to find the correct photos, but I recall that there is a metal loop sight, not a glass sight and that all the detail on the left side of the gun is nonexistant. My source is a Scale model built by Accurate Miniatures, who used the ILYUSHIN DESIGN BUREAU and the the KBLEY MUSEUM as their references.

CdtWeasel
02-29-2004, 10:35 PM
sure you got the models correct? Some of the il2's do have a regular gunsight.

Oleg_Maddox
03-01-2004, 03:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robertomoe:

I have not played the game yet since I am awaiting the release of the Gold pack, but I think you have incorrect models. I am fairly certain that Sturmoviks did not have the gunsight on the windshield. There were lines on the glass, but only to aid in aiming bombs. The sighting of the guns was done with an actual gunsight. Also, I think the rear gun is inaccurate. I have not been able to find the correct photos, but I recall that there is a metal loop sight, not a glass sight and that all the detail on the left side of the gun is nonexistant. My source is a Scale model built by Accurate Miniatures, who used the ILYUSHIN DESIGN BUREAU and the the KBLEY MUSEUM as their references.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First series where with normal gunsight, then from 1942 was replaced by what you tell.
In the sim modelled almost all versions of Il-2, except that were the final version in the mid of 1944 (small amount), before completely switched to IL-10 production.
But on the rear machine gun UBT the gunsight was reflex type always. This was a standard for any VVS plane equipped with UBT MG turrets .
Suggestion: Never use plastic model as the only right reference. Half of them has real distortions of reality.

The only one a bit incorrect think in IL-2 models - the airintake on the nose top. The angle under which its going inside is too high. But it was done due to limit of polygons in 3D model for the time it was created.

LuftKuhMist
03-02-2004, 12:49 AM
By the way speaking of 3d models, in the original IL2 the migs looked awful compared to the other planes. Now they look great, amazing how a texture changes things...

http://www.ifrance.com/boussourir/MOMS.gif http://www.ifrance.com/boussourir/grab0004.jpg

Willey
03-02-2004, 02:48 PM
What about the rockets count??? Bit OT: I always read of 8 rockets on the Il-2M. In FB it's 4 rockets... Interview with Golodnikov is one source that says 8 rockets.