PDA

View Full Version : Bare with me while I struggle to explain my thoughts.

jack_slappypapp
02-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Alright. Here we go. I want to start out saying a few things to keep in mind as you read. First, I'm not getting into connection issues or matchmaking issues of what type of game modes suck or why they suck or any of that, this is more on the combat side of things. Also, I know that it is entirely possible that I'm just stupid, and am not good at the game, there are people who would probably tell me as much, however I would respectfully disagree. I've spent a decent amount of time with the game, both in closed beta, and open. I played several characters during the closed beta, but delved very little into the mechanics and movesets of each hero. During the open beta I focused heavily on the warden (go knights;) trying to get better gear, leveling him up and really learning the hero in-depth so that I could fight any enemy with him. So I know the wardens moves quite well, as well as his strengths and weaknesses, and how to fight different opponents. But I'll get to that in a minute...

Here's the problem, from what I can see. Not with the game but with the players. But it has nothing to do with the skill of the players. Since I've been digitally thumbing through the forums and reading post after post, "Warden is OP, peacekeeper is OP,, peacekeeper is too fast/too slow, raider and warlord are OP, broken guard break, blocking window is too short/long, revenge mode sucks/ revenge mode is OP...." As soon as people started playing this game it became a veritable ****fest of finger pointing, accusations and balance arguments. I don't claim to have the answers, but this is what I've been able to discern. It seems like players only complain when the class they do best with has a hard counter. For me, as a warden, this was the assassin classes. You have the players who use assassin classes like peacekeeper to rack up kills that don't want her touched so they can continue to rape the vanguard classes, then you have the vanguard people complaining about being raped by the assassins, but meanwhile are balls deep in the *** of the heavy classes who are complaining that about the nobushi or whatever, it goes on and on. I respect the devs for making a game that inspires such flares of passion in gamers that want to see the game improved. Its a deep and complex combat system that is flawed, but a great and innovative system with a solid foundation in my opinion. But obviously there are problems. There is a big difference for me between the amount of fun I had in the closed beta vs. the open beta. I can't quite put my finger on it but I definitely had more fun during the closed beta. I don't know but it seems like in their efforts to make the game easier for people who weren't as good, they inadvertently made it harder for the people who were good. But maybe that's a load of crap, I don't know.

The other issue is that when it comes to trying to improve the game you have a lot of people who want to help others improve their skills, but there are also a lot of attempts to complain about the game by people frustrated by their experience who are met with "quit sucking get gud," or "stop button mashing and play better." I'm sorry but telling people not to whine about losing isn't constructive conversation nor is it helpful to people struggling with the learning curve. Just had to get that out.

Now as a warden, trying to be as objective as possible, I can say I honestly think the peacekeeper is overpowered. But not for the same reasons as most people, and she's not overpowered against all classes. She's not a goddess and can still get rolled by some heroes. A lot of people complain about the bleed stab, but I actually don't think that's what the problem is. Yeah it is annoying as hell, but doesn't take as much damage as some people claim, and I don't usually let her get that close to me. As a warden, though, she is by far the most challenging opponent, right next to the orochi. The warden does seem slightly underpowered sometimes (like very slow heavy attacks) but are overall well rounded. I think I stand a fair chance against most opponents, even warlords. But with a lot of power and emphasis being put into high damage overhead strikes, its very difficult to fight an opponent that is CONSTANTLY dodging in and out and spamming sidestepping strikes. I can't keep up with the speed of the attacks and if I do get a block in after being bombarded with strikes they just dodge out of range when i swing. I have this problem exclusively with the peacekeeper and orochi, and I still can't find a strategy that works, especially against an experienced assassin player. Yes, I can beat the PK or orochi if i chose another class, like the kensai. But I don't like feeling like I have to play as a class that I don't want to play as, just in case there is an assassin on the other team. And there always is, and they are always at the top of the scoreboard every match. I don't like feeling pressured to pick a character I don't want to use out of fear of getting raped. I'd like to be able to pick who I want to play as, and change my fighting style accordingly to match my opponent. So I want to complain that the peacekeeper and orochi are OP, but it seems like the only people that don't want nerfs for a class are the people that play that class. So who is right in this situation? I honestly don't know. All I know is I never felt cheated fighting an enemy even if I lost, unless it was against an assassin. In short this is a glorified call for a nerf for the orochi and peacekeeper. I actually like fighting all the other classes, including the nobushi.

I don't want to be dramatic and say I'm cancelling my preorder, but if the game were to launch in its current form, I'm sad to say I wouldn't buy. But I want to love this game and have high hopes that some of the issues will be fixed by release.

So sorry for the long post, I didn't have time to make it shorter. And again, maybe I'm doing something wrong, although I know other players are having similar issues. I was going to touch on revenge mode and constant ganking but this post is already long enough. If anyone has agrees or has suggestions I'm totally open.

TR2W.Ilgoth
02-11-2017, 11:12 AM
What is your point? Your second paragraph is utter mess, very hard to follow... Felt like I just read stupid ****.

Warden is one of my fave's to play, and Orochi isnt that tough. They dont initiate too often, they wait for your attack - dodge and hit you. Think of ways to break that chain of events, there are couple of ways.