PDA

View Full Version : Explain this to me and i'll buy the game.

irize9
02-11-2017, 08:54 AM
I'm new, i played for like 5-7 hours this far, and i have some bad experiences with the game. As this forum mentioned, the game's tutorial didnt really teach a lot, and i actually lost my first 18 duel matches in a row against better opponents trying to get how to block, attack effectively, etc... After checking the combos, and testing them in a free practice mode, i finally started to win, but i'd like to ask some questions:
-Is there a matchmaking system? It felt like there is just not any. The skill level just goes from strict to all skill levels in a couple of second to make the queues faster, but how can you not find any duels quickly when everyone who is remotely interested in this game are playing right now?
-I already met 2-3 players more than once in duel mode, even from jesterday. It kinda feels like there are like 10 players playing this game, or like the game just put you together with people of your current city. This isnt really healthy if this game ever wants to be competitive.

Vulgorn
02-11-2017, 09:04 AM
So, there is matchmaking. However, it is kind of hobbled right now because the game isn't out, and it's just in a beta phase. There's not a big enough playerbase to really be able to get it running properly. That's the same case as far as meeting the same people repeatedly. Once the game is released, it should be a more concrete system.

Karma_Ghost
02-11-2017, 09:08 AM
They're working on fixing the matchmaking problems. Read blue posts.

As far as skill matching goes. I suspect, post-launch skill match will be based on reputation score (social profile) which is the total combined reputation levels of every hero (roughly indicative of experience/skill). Right now, there's only 2 days worth of recorded progress. Everyone is roughly at the same level right now so it does nothing, presumably.

SerArthur-Dayne
02-11-2017, 09:16 AM
I cant answer your questions, but Ive managed to get really good so far and almost always win all duels, and mostly go 14-2 in dominion, and if I can recommend some tips though, I wouldnt even start multiplayer untill you have everything learnt.

-Pick one hero, and just commit to sticking with him/her.

-Go into practice mode and face a level 1 bot, and just commit a few hours to learning all moves/dodges untill its muscle memory.

-Practice just blocking, untill the bot never hits you. Then practice just dodging. Then parries only. Then practice your dodge attack moves(dodge + L1/L2). Then learn the rest of the combos untill its all muscle memory.

I know it might be a little tedious, but 2-3 hours just doing this, and youll improve a ton. Otherwise if you go straight into MP without getting it all down, you wont learn fast at all, as theres such a big break inbetween engagements.

Biocoast
02-11-2017, 09:19 AM
I cant answer your questions, but Ive managed to get really good so far and almost always win all duels, and mostly go 14-2 in dominion, and if I can recommend some tips though, I wouldnt even start multiplayer untill you have everything learnt.

-Pick one hero, and just commit to sticking with him/her.

-Go into practice mode and face a level 1 bot, and just commit a few hours to learning all moves/dodges untill its muscle memory.

-Practice just blocking, untill the bot never hits you. Then practice just dodging. Then parries only. Then practice your dodge attack moves(dodge + L1/L2). Then learn the rest of the combos untill its all muscle memory.

I know it might be a little tedious, but 2-3 hours just doing this, and youll improve a ton. Otherwise if you go straight into MP without getting it all down, you wont learn fast at all, as theres such a big break inbetween engagements.

+1, but i don't think you even have to go as far as 2-3 hours, 30 mins would already be sufficient to get the basics down and then you will see much better results in Multiplayer mode.

Later maybe even just practice vs random lvl 3 bots in custom games helps too.

E-A-X
02-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Theres a matchmaking system though and it works quite well, IF IT EVER WORKS. Because at the current it doesnt work - but as a beginner in this game i wouldnt play online and face easy bots instead - play Player vs AI 1v1 matches and slowly build up, once you get stuck and dont seem to learn anything the best way is to watch like good fighter streams (tru3ta1ent) in example, that brings you straight forward.

Or you need some1 liveexplaining and practicing with you, so you learn what the tutorial did completly miss to teach you - ive gone the same way, last closed beta ive wasted 4 days beeing stuck on my level, cuz i didnt know what i need to do to get further.
8 Hours of watching twitch vods from that beta before the open beta started did improve me much more, than any of the ingame tutorial or even the beginners/advanced tutorial videos could possibly do.

Dezlow-
02-11-2017, 09:30 AM
I would think skill matchmaking is working as intended, I just think this beta alot of people already know what they are doing. Also since we are at the "start" of the beta, everyone is at the same "skill rating" regardless of actual skill.

Last beta I opened duels with something like 25-5, then went around 15-10 in all close games. Perhaps its coincidence? I dont think so, but it might be!

And yes, as others have stated, play 1 hero, master it, once every move becomes muscle memory things get better. Dont spread yourself too thin, jack of all trades, master of none.

Also dont chose whatever is OP, balance changes always happen in games like this, chose a hero because its style and move set fit you, not because its currently "OP"