PDA

View Full Version : A small complaint about cosmetics

Rithuamh
02-11-2017, 06:46 AM
Hello, friends. I'm very new to the game, and thus far have found the experience to be enjoyable. I personally find that the reputation reward system is lack luster.

As I understand it every 20 levels you receive a new outfit, and along the way you earn other little cosmetic trifles. I take issues with the outfits. They're boring. Uninteresting and unrepresentative of the effort that goes into acquiring them.

It's made especially obnoxious to me because the last one, the final piece of the collection, is in no more interesting than anything before it. Just whatever armor you're wearing with a different paint job. We couldn't get something truly prestigious after 120 levels?

I know this is a small gripe. The game has other, much more pressing issues, but I love prestige and I love showing looking cool. The outfits are not conducive to fulfilling these desires.

Nosgoth, a free to play game, had a much better prestige system. Once you maxed out a class, you got an entirely unique skin. It looked awesome and was indicative of your status as a player. Again, small gripe, I know, but this just seems lazy to me.

PendragonArtura
02-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Yeah same here... I use no cosmetic at all, no paint, or other stupid stuff, it only make your armor more ugly.

I mean if there was something like removing the helmet when you up your prestige that could be a very good reason to grind the levels. But for a stupid sketch on your shoulder... Lmao, who even care ?

Karma_Ghost
02-11-2017, 08:42 AM
You start getting new, visually different equipment at Reputation 1 (blue gear) and Reputation 3 (purple gear) and presumably more at higher reputation levels. Design isn't lazy. You just haven't seen the other stuff yet.. Search the forums or google.

LeviathanWard
02-11-2017, 10:23 AM
I see it as less of a reason to keep leveling a character. But rather something to make it feel like all of those levels do still have an effect. It's the gear that motivates me to level.

Rithuamh
02-11-2017, 10:48 PM
Karma, I looked at the rep rewards on the character customization page. They're all just paint jobs, and I think that is lazy. It doesn't look cool (in my opinion), they're not unique, it's just the same armor with some different symbols slapped onto it. I think that's lazy, especially when a free to play game which also had dedicated servers did it better.

Leviathan, I am not sure what you are talking about.

Rithuamh
02-11-2017, 10:52 PM
Oh, and Saber, I detest the idea of simply taking the helmet off of your character as reward for gaining a rep level. That should just be something anyone can do, if at all, in my opinion.

Father_Giliam
02-11-2017, 11:11 PM
Karma, I looked at the rep rewards on the character customization page. They're all just paint jobs, and I think that is lazy. It doesn't look cool (in my opinion), they're not unique, it's just the same armor with some different symbols slapped onto it. I think that's lazy, especially when a free to play game which also had dedicated servers did it better

Thats not what they were referring to. Once you start into the reputation levels, there are new armor designs that you can receive as drops or get out of scavenging. The outfits they currently shown in game are just colors, patterns, and emblems. Not sure if the other 2 categories will be the same, but it hardly matters. The amount of gear variation is purposely limited in the beta.

The real problem with cosmetic customisation is the fact you cant use standard gear to change the look of rare gear, and can't use rare gear to change the look of epic gear. All the rare gear I've gotten so far is covered in gold, which looks obnoxious, so I don't use it.

Rithuamh
02-12-2017, 12:15 AM
Giliam, I think I may understand now. Not entirely certain, but somewhat reassured regardless. I concur with your last statement though. That sounds like something that should be looked at.

Trenk2009
02-12-2017, 12:29 AM
The way your character looks changes tremendously as soon as you sart to level him up a bit. Plus, in term of customization, the beta offers only 35-40% of the content.

Just take a look :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW7-ZhkDpic&t=21s

Damonrodes
02-12-2017, 12:37 AM
My biggest gripe is how there seems to be only 2-3 differnet looks for each piece of armor. I've got 100's of pieces through matches and scavengin and have only found 2-3 different looks for each piece. Hopefully there are more when the game releases.

Altair_Snake
02-12-2017, 03:23 AM
I like the customization a lot. And I'm hoping the Vikings will be less naked and more armored on advanced gear.

GreyishWarden
02-12-2017, 03:30 AM
I completely agree w/ OP. Also why would I pay 2000-3000 steel for a color job? Seriously

Rithuamh
02-12-2017, 05:23 AM
Trenk, I didn't realize that there was that much customization. Damon Rodes, I wasn't paying much attention, but I did notice that at lesdt with the warden all thr chest pieces are a little obnoxiously similar. I wouldn't doubt that he isn't the outlier in that regard.

GrayishWarden, is that a reference to Dragon Age? Also, you have brought me back to the initial topic which I inadvertently lost sight of. The reputation skins in are dull and not reflective of the work that goes into acquiring them. At the very least, the last reputation outfit should be its own unique look. At level 121, I'd say that is a reward more than well earned.

Honestly, all it is now is some anvil painted onto your chest. Like, what? Level 121 warrants a whole new look, me thinks.

Chark19
02-12-2017, 06:24 AM
What's with the color choices for neutral set? I understand Defender is blue, and Offense is red. Shouldn't we be able to pick any color palette for neutral? Honestly, where is green? I've scrolled past several combos with teal in it. Hopefully this is fixed in final product. Destiny and Halo 5 fixed it with a patch.