PDA

View Full Version : Gripes...I've got too many gripes about this game.

Joeli_Berdolli
02-11-2017, 05:38 AM
First impressions are bad. After waiting for the network to get back up, then connecting to a game (of which all modes seem to be lowly populated), then wading through the sea of disconnections and waiting for the host to change, I got to play.

Aside from the obvious connection problems and the need for dedicated servers and not p2p, there's a wealth of problems with this game.

The BIG ONE. There's no longevity in this game. A night on the beta and I feel like I've seen the full extent of this game. Yes, there's a campaign and a trickle of maps and more characters to come. But what we are seeing now in the beta is most of it. I got it all in a night. I've played and unlocked all 9 characters, all 3 of the maps, all the multiplayer modes. I can customise my heroes with unlocked materials and scavenged gear. But it doesn't give me any advantage over my opponents. I decrease one stat for increasing another. It's purely cosmetic. I've completed orders and helped my faction dominate. So where's my insentive to keep playing now? To get a few more paint skins? To unlock a trait? To wait around for a few maps and heroes to be released in the future? (which won't cost extra, which is something). I'm not speding money buying this game when I feel like I've experienced all it's had to offer in a night. There'll be a few dedicated fans left playing after a month. But for the average it'll lose it's appeal quickly. The content won't be enough to bring me back. It's one redeeming feature is the combat system. But wait...

I will say the combat system is unique. It's frustratingly good and I love that there's a steep learning curve. I like a challenge. But that's all that's good. It seems most people don't want to learn to duel but would rather throw their opponent off the edge and forgo a fight instead. I've read combatnants will often stay clear of the edges and acknowledge eachother in a fair fight. I haven't seen this. All too often it's the first thing to happen to me in a duel. Instantly thrown off the edge. Maybe I just can't play very well? But doesn't it defeat the purpose of the game...dueling?

The Nobushi. With ridiculous long range, even after successfully blocking I'm still out of range with a follow up attack. I see teams with 3 out of 4 heroes as Nobushi in game. Seems like most heroes balance out nicely. Slow and heavy, fast and light etc etc. Some good for domination, some for 1v1. But god I hate the Nobushi. Poke, poke, poke, dead. Perhaps it's me.

Trying to switch to another target seems a nightmare. There's 3 enemy heroes in front of me, criss crossing and slashing, I'm trying to change target but get the wrong one. Seems I have to physically move my character's body to switch view. I never select the right one. What about a button that cycles through the nearest heroes within 5 metres? Not a big deal in terms of the problems for ths game, but frustrating none the less.

Get the network sorted. Use dedicated servers. Bring in a wealth of heroes and maps. More multiplayer modes than the 5 on release. Cut back hugely on the amount of places you can be thrown off the map. Nerf certain classes. Fix the lock on system and then maaaaaayyybe you'll have a game that will last longer than a day. I doubt it. The concept is good. I was excited for this game. But I think many people will be extremely disappointed on release and tired of the repetition after a month.

My opinion. Play the beta. Form your own.

The_B0G_
02-11-2017, 06:28 AM
Did you forget about faction wars? This game has more depth in it than any COD game and that's been around for a decade.

I don't know about you guys, but I own more than one game, and this game is unlike any other game on the market. So yeah you fight in the same levels with the same heroes but look at any other multiplayer game on the market, they all have this.

Gear does have a purpose too, it's not cosmetic. At first they hardly make a difference, as you upgrade your gear the gaps between pros and cons of the gear get wider. If you don't throw people often, like myself, you don't use gear with throw boost and instead put it into attack or defense. The gear compliments your play style. You need to set it up correctly to get anything out of it.

My conquerer has most of his gear set towards attack and revenge for blocking and I notice a pretty big difference then when I first started with him.

Olikorn
02-11-2017, 07:15 AM
IMO the longevity is about trying to improve your fighting skills. Some will probably master it and get bored, but obviously you haven't... (not a criticism, just an observation -- I haven't either). If you're not motivated at this challenge, then I agree the game's probably not for you.

Btw Nobushi has low HP, your goal is to get close to her. Her light attacks are indeed fast but not enough that you can't block them on reaction with some practice. She's definitely tough at first, that's for sure.

And avoiding environmental kills = knowing the map, hero abilities, and mastering the counter GB.

Biocoast
02-11-2017, 07:41 AM
I believe there is far more then just unlocking stuff in this game, the combat IMO is so engaging that it always keeps me coming for more, also you can get better stuff later once you reach a higher level, stuff will look nicer as well, but that you don't really gain that much of an advantage, you can adjust your gear to fit more to playstyle and that is rather a good thing, and even that bit can make the difference in the end.

Environmental kills add so much more to depth to the game, it makes you think about where you are at and have to predict what the opponent might try to use against you. It might seem cheesy but it's very gratifying once you get the hold of it and manage to use them to your advantage as well, even just pushing your opponent against a wall, use tombstones as shield so they can't attack from a certain angle, use ledges just to put some pressure on the opponent because he knows he might go flying of if he stands to close to it, or bait someone to try to push you off just to dodge and make him pay for it.

The network issue I agree with you, the idea to set this up per p2p was a bad decision IMO, even though I hardly had any problems myself. I believe Ubisoft will do anything they can to make it work though, at least I truly hope so.

Redulz
02-11-2017, 07:54 AM
I find this a strange topic that keeps popping up why do people need a reason to play something thats fun. People still play super smash with no incentive other then to get better why doesnt it to apply here.

Karma_Ghost
02-11-2017, 07:54 AM
The BIG ONE. There's no longevity in this game. A night on the beta and I feel like I've seen the full extent of this game. Yes, there's a campaign and a trickle of maps and more characters to come. But what we are seeing now in the beta is most of it. I got it all in a night. I've played and unlocked all 9 characters, all 3 of the maps, all the multiplayer modes. I can customise my heroes with unlocked materials and scavenged gear. But it doesn't give me any advantage over my opponents. I decrease one stat for increasing another. It's purely cosmetic. I've completed orders and helped my faction dominate. So where's my insentive to keep playing now? To get a few more paint skins? To unlock a trait? To wait around for a few maps and heroes to be released in the future? (which won't cost extra, which is something). I'm not speding money buying this game when I feel like I've experienced all it's had to offer in a night. There'll be a few dedicated fans left playing after a month. But for the average it'll lose it's appeal quickly. The content won't be enough to bring me back. It's one redeeming feature is the combat system. But wait...

You need incentive to play a game? You're acting like it's work. If people like the game they'll play it. The "extent" of the game means nothing. Look at nearly every multiplayer game that isn't centered around a story and you can get the gist of the game within 1 match. In the case of popular franchises like Call of Duty and Battlefield, most of the players know what they're in for before they even play them. If you want the game to be constantly new to you, then RPGs and adventure games would probably be a better investment.