PDA

View Full Version : P-38 tips

Udidtoo
07-31-2004, 10:40 AM
There are references here and numerous other sites on the wed that mention real life Lightning jocks useing feathered props to turn quicker.

I've been trying this most of the morning against Ki-84's and 190's and the only thing quicker is how fast I become one with mother earth.

Anybody out there mastered this technic yet? If so how about sharing some tips with us slow learners.

I always have just enough fuel to arrive at the scene of my crash.

Udidtoo
07-31-2004, 10:40 AM
There are references here and numerous other sites on the wed that mention real life Lightning jocks useing feathered props to turn quicker.

I've been trying this most of the morning against Ki-84's and 190's and the only thing quicker is how fast I become one with mother earth.

Anybody out there mastered this technic yet? If so how about sharing some tips with us slow learners.

LeadSpitter_
07-31-2004, 10:47 AM
ask afj locust, He is definatly the best p38 pilot i have seen ever online. I havent seen anyone come close to his skill in that bird.

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/leadspitter/LSIG1.gif

Kaesebrot.
07-31-2004, 10:51 AM
I dont think a p38 could ever turn quicker than a KI-84 or many other single-engined fighters.

Udidtoo
07-31-2004, 10:53 AM
Will do and Thx for reminding me. Leadspitter= I ain't been to IL-2 skins this morning for a fix ( scratch, scratch, squirm)

Its not a habit, its cool.

Udidtoo
07-31-2004, 11:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trigger666:
I dont think a p38 could ever turn quicker than a KI-84 or many other single-engined fighters.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have misunderstood Trigger. I am not trying to out turn the Ki-84. I fly against those 2 planes because they give me the most challenge.

It is known that some pilots at least claimed you could learn to lessen your turn times in the lightning by feathering your inside prop.

I don't try to out-turn much in my P-38, not what it was ment for. Just trying to learn to turn better/faster.

XyZspineZyX
07-31-2004, 11:22 AM
My tip for P-38 drivers.

Get your bailout technique down cold.

Hoarmurath
07-31-2004, 11:27 AM
my way of using my engines to turn quicker :

i apply full power, then deselect the engine that will be on the outer side of turn, and i can use my throttle to control the inner engine in order to turn tighter...

It is very complicated to do well, and it won't give you such an advantage against very good turners like Ki84 and zeroes. You will lose a lot of energy too, so it is nice for aerobatics, but i think it is not really good for combat.

http://hoarmurath.free.fr/images/sighoar.jpg (http://hoarmurath.free.fr/files/internationale-ru.mp3)
56Kers are strongly advised to NOT click on my signature http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

F19_Ob
07-31-2004, 01:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LeadSpitter_:
ask afj locust, He is definatly the best p38 pilot i have seen ever online. I havent seen anyone come close to his skill in that bird.

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/leadspitter/LSIG1.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would be great to see a track with this guy "locust". I like the p38 but seeem to have no chance against 109s at all.
Do U know him enough to fool him into making a track for us Leaddie? or perhaps give a few tips?

LeadSpitter_
07-31-2004, 07:06 PM
He's posts here alot Ob, im sure if he sees this thread he will respond and hopefully post some good tracks.

He gave me a run for my money and I was in the 109g2. I was suprised at some of the moves hes able to pull off fully loaded too bombs and rockets.

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/leadspitter/LSIG1.gif

El Turo
07-31-2004, 11:03 PM
I'm not the highly esteemed Mr. Locust, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

If you're going to succeed in the P38, you must be VERY comfortable extending and retracting your flaps continuously during a dogfight. Without them, the nose just doesn't come around fast enough but with them, you have a lot of added drag, too. Finding that fine line of the performance envelope and riding it like a rodeo clown takes a lot of practice and time spent establishing your familiarity with the limits of your bird. The P38 does float very nicely at the top of a high yo-yo or sliceback with take-off flaps extended, and does pretty well in a rolling scissors because of this high-lift/float performance as well.

With a good dive, solid top speed, a pretty decent climb and a lot of centerline whoop-a.ss... you've got a great recipe for success as long as you fly it smart.

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL
of worship
I thought,
reloading my rifle.

~V.

Macel
08-01-2004, 10:42 PM
I think the p-38L (not J) is a bit underrated. The J turns like a dog but the L can turn decently enough to be a match for a BF109, and its got a comparable climb/dive rate (as far as I can tell...have to be more careful with energy management in loops and turns though). It's also extremely durable, can take punishment that most single prop planes can't take. Fire extinguishers are amazingly useful too. Saved my *** more than once.

I dunno about feathering the props. I always thought that a feathered prop would keep spinning when the engine died, but it seems that when I feather a prop on the p38 after my engine has died, it stops the prop from spinning altogether... Un-feather it and it starts spinning again, albeit slowly.

What I do know is that the airbrake can be very useful. It's a lot like flaps in that it will give an initial amount of lift (the plane will jerk upwards). The faster you are going, the faster you slow down, so you need to be careful with energy management with it... However, it can give you that little extra boost you may need in a high speed turn fight... I also use it, along with combat flaps, to get out of dives faster than 680, where the controls start to get sluggish.

Udidtoo
08-01-2004, 10:56 PM
I may never rival a Locust or anyone else of high caliber but I'm finding like any other aspect of this game.....practice ,practice, practice.

You can do a heck of a reversal at the top of a zoom climb by hitting dive brakes, kicking hard rudder either way and killing the outside moter opposite to which ever way you are using rudder.

With some practice you flip back over like a pancake and right back down on top your foe.
I have no idea if the real Lightings could pull this manuver but its very cool with our FM's here.

BloodlyOaf
08-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Hey fellas i've been playin il2 for a while now and i can't seem to find out how u get to use the P-38 is there a download or some kind of cheat please help me !!!!!!

Rab03
08-02-2004, 01:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trigger666:
I dont think a p38 could ever turn quicker than a KI-84 or many other single-engined fighters.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but read full story of McGuire's death-which shows that sometimes P-38s engaged Franks and Zeros in turn fights.

To BloodlyOaf: Fly high, fast, Boom and Zoom, avoid turn fights till absolutely necessary, and when you have enemy in your sight-don't miss.
Few planes can catch P38 in level flight, but watchout for dive-when you go over 600kmph, you'll get troubl pulling up.

geetarman
08-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Some of the best fights I've had were furballs with late 109's. The 38 can hang with a later 109 in a dogfight, but it's real close! Whoever makes the first mistake, usually loses.

190's are easier to handle. Although, something has happened to the TA since the patch. They are tough now. I had a guy flying one like a Zero on steriods. He was flying at high speed, down low and looping, turning, etc. It was a handful. Pre-patch a TA was very easy to handle down low.

Keys to a 38:

- Try to avoid a fight until you get above your opponent. Altitude really helps with this plane.

- Don't be afarid to turn with the later German planes and use your combat flaps, airbrake and trim.

- Combat flaps should be used liberally. Avoid excessive use of the airbrake for manuevering; you'll be thrown into a spin.
Put trim on a wheel and roll the thing to help with vertical moves.

- If Franks are in the fight - try to take them high and then dive away and keep diving. If they follow, they may break apart (I've done this plenty of times to know).

- If the e/a gets on your tail you have a few options:

1. Use your speed and get away if you can.
2. Try to out manuever him (not likely)
3. Last resort, drop full flaps, drop airbrake, slam throttle back and barrel-roll.
The 38 slows down like nobody's business and will cause an overshoot, particularly if you barrel-roll. Just make sure you time it right or you'll have a fanny full of metal on the way down to mother-earth.

Udidtoo
08-02-2004, 08:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BloodlyOaf:
Hey fellas i've been playin il2 for a while now and i can't seem to find out how u get to use the P-38 is there a download or some kind of cheat please help me !!!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your playing the original IL-2 the P-38 isn't even in the game. You need to purchase Forgotten Battles and Ace Expansion pack. Get them, you'll love them.

GT182
08-02-2004, 09:00 AM
If I remember right, Richard Bong's great success was due to attacking the Zeros head-on. That's how he got the biggest share of his kills.

I couldn't use his nickname. Dic# isn't allowed. LOL http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

"GT182" / "Stab/JG51_vonSpinmeister"
www.bombs-away.net/forums (http://www.bombs-away.net/forums)
"Fly to Survive, Survive to Fly"

BS87
08-02-2004, 10:23 AM
I would like to see Korolov and Locust battle it out in the P38. That would be a very interesting, and informative track.

BloodlyOaf
08-02-2004, 01:23 PM
I already have il2fb but when i tried downloading the patchs last nite and put them on the game it just stoped working it would come on i would skip the movie and when i went to check out the newplanes it cut off it never did that before is there something wrong with the pacthes or what

ednew
08-02-2004, 01:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BloodlyOaf:
I already have il2fb but when i tried downloading the patchs last nite and put them on the game it just stoped working it would come on i would skip the movie and when i went to check out the newplanes it cut off it never did that before is there something wrong with the pacthes or what<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have AEP?
Which patches did you d/l?
Patchs 1.11, 1.21 & 1.22 are for FB.
Patchs 2.01 & 2.04 are for AEP.
If you d/l'ed the wrong patchs you will have to uninstall FB and reinstall with the proper patchs.

BloodlyOaf
08-02-2004, 02:19 PM
i had 1.22 for fb then tired to get 2.01 and 2.04 to add on to fb

BS87
08-02-2004, 06:05 PM
2.01 and 2.04 are only for the Aces Expansion Pack(AEP). You need to buy and install AEP before you can patch to 2.01 or 2.04. 1.22 Was the last patch for Regular FB