PDA

View Full Version : Skin Download, high pings and shaky plane

XyZspineZyX
04-16-2004, 11:56 PM
Is it possible that Skin download [on], could cause a change in/ affect the flight dynamics in some way, of a targeting aircraft when it is within guns range of it's flying target ?

What happens is; the dynamics seem to change to become very sensitive, even the most smallest of stick movement will have the plane almost into an immediate stall. Low speed normal speed, turning speed all seem to be affected, though I can understand high and low speed stalls. (but at turning speed ?)
Having it on also seems to drive the ping up.
Would it be possible to determine if such is in fact the case and again, if possible develop a switch that host could use to render this feature inactive for all players?

XyZspineZyX
04-16-2004, 11:56 PM
Is it possible that Skin download [on], could cause a change in/ affect the flight dynamics in some way, of a targeting aircraft when it is within guns range of it's flying target ?

What happens is; the dynamics seem to change to become very sensitive, even the most smallest of stick movement will have the plane almost into an immediate stall. Low speed normal speed, turning speed all seem to be affected, though I can understand high and low speed stalls. (but at turning speed ?)
Having it on also seems to drive the ping up.
Would it be possible to determine if such is in fact the case and again, if possible develop a switch that host could use to render this feature inactive for all players?

VW-IceFire
04-17-2004, 03:01 PM
No skin download will not affect your control scheme or your joystick sensivity. The server may have settings enabled that are more difficult than what your used to in offline play (a possibility).

A plane can stall at any speed...stalls aren't directly related to speed (although they are connected). Certain types of planes require very gentle controls to ensure you don't create too high an angle of attack level and have one or both wings stop generating lift.

Host has ultimate control already over skin downloads. Server admins typically disable this feature although not all do. So a player can determine if skin downloads are not used but if the player turns skin downloads on then its left upto the choice of the server if it will initiate or not.

Yes generally skin downloads do increase lag. I'm experimenting with turning it back on after many months with it off...but my previous experience was not satisfactory.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

XyZspineZyX
04-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Hear what u r saying but...
with people I trust and SDL off, the flying is as smooth as. When in a room of strangers things might start out ok and all is agreed the SDL is off but then in comes another player
and before long the dynamics change and when asked the new player offers, Yes SDL is on.

I meant a dedicated switch to allow the feature to be turned off

VW-IceFire
04-18-2004, 07:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vagueout:
Hear what u r saying but...
with people I trust and SDL off, the flying is as smooth as. When in a room of strangers things might start out ok and all is agreed the SDL is off but then in comes another player
and before long the dynamics change and when asked the new player offers, Yes SDL is on.

I meant a dedicated switch to allow the feature to be turned off<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
And what I'm saying is that there is such a switch to turn it off....but you as a client on a server cannot make that change. It doesn't make any practical sense and it violates the concept of server client if the client dynamically influences settings that are supposed to be set by the server.

If the server is setup to have skin downloads off then it is off...regardless of you or anyone elses setting. Server settings have priority over client settings.

Now if you are in a server where skin downloads are on but you have them off then of course your connection to the server isn't going to be directly affected but the servers performance is going to be affected.

So such a dedicated switch to turn it off exists already. But it has to stay server side and thus it needs to be controlled by server admins and not anyone else. This makes the most sense and is most practical http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

XyZspineZyX
04-19-2004, 02:43 AM
So if I understand correctly...
The person who sets up the server may elect to have SDL on or off ?
The shaky happens on some not all and then it may be smooth as, then a new player joins and when asked, they says yes it is on

Say, me at home and I want to host what turns out to be a public game, How do I turn it off ?
I understand I can password protect but.....?