PDA

View Full Version : The art of winged murder. (good thread for beginners)

Stille-NachT
01-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Hello there...
Just thought I'd start a post enquiring about what tacts you use to finnish your pray in regardsto flap usage, speed, and bullet/cannon Distance.

To start heres my tuppence worth:

Playing this game over the last 2 or 3 years has been one hell of a learning curve, and only recently I have realised that flaps in combat position adds a hudge hit percentage to the guns of the BF series. In the raised position I found you had to be at least 20 to 15 close to score some good hits.

I found the cannons of the Bf109 a6 upwards, in combat flaps a good tactic to finnish a B17 with out being pepperd by those mercyless B17 AI gunners.

The only thing of course is to watch that air speed drop to 200 very quickly speed wise with combat flaps so try and make sure you alternate between raised and combat.

In fact as regards flaps I think it's best to hit raised very quick after take off when your rungway is being vulched, that way you soon get the speed up to do a quick climb to 300ft plus.

On the other side to this however I find using combat flaps alot during dogfights with more then 2 planes (you and him) envolved can be very hazardious, I'd try not to use combat whatso ever in this situation as speed is the key to survival here. Get in close fire when you can almost see those woddwork scratches on his tail, and either dive bank of climb quick, if your lucky you may even get an over enthusastic killer on your tail to collide with the pray, may take your kill but leavse you alive to find another...

Well gentleman of the board, please feel free to give your views to me and any newcommer, I could have certainly used this info when I started back in the days of good ole IL2 1.

My views are based around the BF's as I fly them alot at the moment, once I get to be more confident i'll start on the other models, but the point is, all your methods even if completely different to mine, are welcome here.

I look forward to reading replys.

Stille-NachT
Hello there...
Just thought I'd start a post enquiring about what tacts you use to finnish your pray in regardsto flap usage, speed, and bullet/cannon Distance.

To start heres my tuppence worth:

Playing this game over the last 2 or 3 years has been one hell of a learning curve, and only recently I have realised that flaps in combat position adds a hudge hit percentage to the guns of the BF series. In the raised position I found you had to be at least 20 to 15 close to score some good hits.

I found the cannons of the Bf109 a6 upwards, in combat flaps a good tactic to finnish a B17 with out being pepperd by those mercyless B17 AI gunners.

The only thing of course is to watch that air speed drop to 200 very quickly speed wise with combat flaps so try and make sure you alternate between raised and combat.

In fact as regards flaps I think it's best to hit raised very quick after take off when your rungway is being vulched, that way you soon get the speed up to do a quick climb to 300ft plus.

On the other side to this however I find using combat flaps alot during dogfights with more then 2 planes (you and him) envolved can be very hazardious, I'd try not to use combat whatso ever in this situation as speed is the key to survival here. Get in close fire when you can almost see those woddwork scratches on his tail, and either dive bank of climb quick, if your lucky you may even get an over enthusastic killer on your tail to collide with the pray, may take your kill but leavse you alive to find another...

Well gentleman of the board, please feel free to give your views to me and any newcommer, I could have certainly used this info when I started back in the days of good ole IL2 1.

My views are based around the BF's as I fly them alot at the moment, once I get to be more confident i'll start on the other models, but the point is, all your methods even if completely different to mine, are welcome here.

I look forward to reading replys.

Stille-NachT
forgive spelling, I rushed this one!!!

HawaiifiveO
01-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Yes I agree with you but what about those early planes that only have raised and landing positions. Should we go to landing?

I just started at russian campaign at the beginning.

Stille-NachT
01-28-2004, 01:24 PM
Right...well this one can be tricky...

You see with early planes your skill has to be quite mature and confident to kill a plane from later years than yours, they have higher engine speeds and no doubt their guns may pack a better punch than yours too. so really I wouldnt recomend touching flaps after take off untill landing, leave them raised. Or of course don't pick planes from ealier years than the opponents. A good tactic here online is to pick a random plane then press tab and see what planes your up against, won't hurt to hit refly and change your kite for a better tool of destruction.

You can try the old slow down trick so your pursuer will fly by or crash, but this is a very dangerious trend to follow. A collision from the persuer, a steady slow target for all, or your engine prone to stalling if at low altitude, are all fates common with this method.
Try at your own risk!!!

However..if playing one player earlier on in the campain or playing on a server with selected historical planes...well I tends to approach things this way.

If i'm not doing a speed above 300 (lower them a little above this speed and they may jam or simply rip off!!!) I tend to lower flaps for a short period to slow, if my speed is too great to ensure a kill on a 1 on 1 situation.

The first few russian missions don't hammer your machine guns on those Bf's untill you're really close, otherwise the bullets don't do a lot of damage.

I tend to fly in fairly close and use cannons to be honest, aim for the engines and those Bf's sure make a nice fire fly. The wings a good place too...hole in his wing (however good the AI) may get you a quick low altitude crash from a poor angry german.

LeChuck59
01-28-2004, 01:31 PM
I'm no expert, but I'd imagine that setting the flaps to landing would result in the same effect. Oleg, or perhaps more likely the engineers that designed the planes, designated certain levels with intuitive names, but there's no reason you can't or shouldn't make use of what you've got. Knowing that it takes time for the flaps to move and assuming that combat is between raised and lowered/landing, then when employing the latter because the former is unavailable I would switch back to raised earlier, before the flaps are fully lowered. It should then have exactly the same effect as briefly engaging combat flaps. Right?

Stille-NachT
01-28-2004, 01:37 PM
hey it says in the manual that lowering your landing gear is an option for you if you wish to lower speed. And using unorthodox method is what makes an ace exactly that. Predictable fighters live predictable life spans in the air...this reminds me of a back adder goes forth episode actually, what where the piolets caleld again...was it 15 minuters?

Point is, speed usage is a fine art. Be slow if you must but remember a slow predator is someone elses quick kill. Only experience can give you that sith sense on when and where to use slow down methods..apart from landing of course http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif