PDA

View Full Version : Help With Shooting

epsilon97
08-14-2004, 11:12 AM
hello,

i have been flying quick missions where i fight against an enemy bomber. i can never destroy it. i need some help figuring out how to kill stuff. can anyone give me some advice?

epsilon97
08-14-2004, 11:12 AM
hello,

i have been flying quick missions where i fight against an enemy bomber. i can never destroy it. i need some help figuring out how to kill stuff. can anyone give me some advice?

S 8
08-14-2004, 11:31 AM
This is what I do.I try to get them sideways,level above or beneath,like letting them fly through you sight,works pretty good.I cant say when to start fire but as you probably know about deflection shot I guess it won´t be too hard.Go by feel.

Friendly_flyer
08-14-2004, 12:10 PM
If you can't shoot down a bomber it is usually due to one of tree problems:

- You are missing, your shots egither falling behind or overshooting.

- You are using a plane with too little or too weak guns for the bomber. Hunting Sturmoviks with a P-11 is possible but rather frustrating. You might also have your guns set for wrong convergence. Single MG-bullets don't do much damage to most bombers.

- You are aiming at the wrong part of the plane. A bomber is a big target, but you really want to go for the engines, wing roots (where the tanks usually are) or the cockpit.

Try out a few quick missions with a plane with some heavy guns and good tracers, like an I-16. Use the "Pause" option (usually located to the 'P' button), go to outside view and see how you are doing.

Fly friendly!

Petter B¸ckman
Norway

heywooood
08-14-2004, 12:12 PM
it depends on the target...which bomber or bombers are you talking about?...If He111 - a headon attack works well for the initial pass...if he is still flying, pull up for altitude...go to 200 or so meters above the He111 and come around to position directly above him, roll inverted and come down vertically ..put the reticle just ahead of the wing root at the leading edge and hold the trigger down... These are the two most vulnerable positions of attack for the He111.

Each bomber (and Fighter) has its own areas of vulnerability- you need to look at where the defensive gun positions are located and see their field of fire to understand where your plane needs to be to get in close without getting hit.. and you need to work on your gunnery..select a friendly bomber and practice - also - you can toggle your gunsight view (full magnification) to a joystick button so you can quickly zoom in and out - this helps alot.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v250/heywooood/ac_32_1.jpg
"Check your guns"

Taylortony
08-14-2004, 12:22 PM
out of interest have you set the gun convergence? this is where the bullets all meet at one point, the game default is at 500 and if you are nearer they are in effect passing the planes wingtip, or at best spread outboard on the plane, try setting them to about 150 to 200 and try again, the settings are at the bottom of the plane selection window. I set my by picking a tree on the ground flying at it and when i would fire at a plane firing the guns, if you get a tight cluster around the tree, you are about right, if they mow the lawn to you need to adjust them again.

FI-SouthPaw
08-14-2004, 03:29 PM
An airplanes 6 is usually the most armored spot on the plane. Some places to aim, in my most amatuer and humble opinion, are the wing roots, engine nacells (if it is a multi engine bomber), and cockpit.

Hope this helps,

:FI:South-Paw

Bikewer
08-14-2004, 05:09 PM
The AI gunners on bombers are notoriously accurate to the 6...Beam shots or even head-ons are safer, or coming up beneath on some models.

These are exactly the techniques used by actual pilots.

VMF513_Sandman
08-15-2004, 01:56 AM
the default convergance is just too 'wide' for close in or even for snapshots...which for the most part is what happens. wing guns seems to work better with a 230-250 convergance, wing mounted cannon about 2-300. 250 works exceptionally well for the 4x20mm hurricane for me.
american 50 cals are grouped very very tight in this patch. u need to have proper aiming and convergance set now. they also seem to take just a split second longer to get to the target than the cannon or guns of other planes, but they are very accurate.

weak spots on bombers are either the cockpit or wingroots. unless u have a mk108, the rest of the plane has too much armor to survive anything but a zoom n boom.

do this: record ur qmb missions, save them, then play them back. when ur about to get in range, slow the speed down to 1/2 or 1/4 speed. when ur guns fire, pause it, then go to enemy view, watch tracers, go back to cockpit to the 'sight picture'. u'll see whether or not u have too much lead, not enough, or just right. this includes goin up against fighters. in most instances in a dogfight, close in deflection shots have the bogey under the nose where u cant see him, but ur guns do.