PDA

View Full Version : Why For Honor will be an incredible esport

Neuser_swe
02-01-2017, 12:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ls6PnyKFjk

Neuser (http://www.youtube.com/neusergaming)

Rainbowsix876
02-04-2017, 03:49 PM
This game will not become a big e-sport game. Sure it will be some touranments on ESL as all games, good or bad have some kind of e-sport existance on ESL.
You talk a lot of nonsense though and to claim that Ubisoft are so good is just a big lie.
I agree that it would be nice to see this game in the e-sport scene and it has potential to become a good e-sport game.
But you should know that this game is made by Ubisoft which has always been focus on good Single Player games with few exceptions.
I wouldn't call RB6S a successful game because they had to redesign a lot incl. going from 30 to 60 HZ servers. Anyone who got decent experience in FPS games knows that 30 HZ servers are laughable.

If Ubisoft want to create a e-sport game there are some basic rules which you can see on the top 10 e-sport games in the world has in common.

Connection (dedicated servers with high quality)
Balanced game (classes, weapons, spells etc) A failure in any e-sport scene is when a game needs to ban certain weapons, classes because they are OP (out of balance)
Spectator cam Any game need a spectator cam for commentary, tournaments, etc. to watch.
Save Replays. Every match should be possible to save as a replay and then watchable from a free spectator mode. This to make videos but also to study their gameplay and opponents.

For Honor doesn't support any of these rules and they also have a season pass which will add more heroes. After a year this game will maybe have 3-10 more heroes and it will harder if not just impossible to balance. Remember that 1 hero needs to be balanced to the other 12 heroes. That means there are 144 heroes that needs to be balanced.
Imagine a FPS games where you had to balance 144 weapons. it''s a big job.

Peligrad
02-07-2017, 06:09 PM
I watch a lot of For Honor on twitch and youtube and would love watching the game at the highest level of play.

So... what else matters?

n1_Symphony
02-07-2017, 11:05 PM
I watch a lot of For Honor on twitch and youtube and would love watching the game at the highest level of play.

So... what else matters?

The "highest" level of play in For Honor is never attacking first. Watching a match where both opponents just stare at each other 5 mins each round would get extremely boring. Sorry, but get ready for an "intense" hyper-passive meta for all the "pro" matches.

It's too bad that the meta devolves into an ultra-passive staring contest. This game has some great mechanics, but over-all being smart and aggressive gets you boned. :(

Hackfraysn
02-08-2017, 04:38 PM
The "highest" level of play in For Honor is never attacking first. Watching a match were both opponents just stare at each other 5 mins each round would get extremely boring. Sorry, but get ready for an "intense" hyper-passive meta for all the "pro" matches.

It's too bad that the meta devolves into an ultra-passive staring contest. This game has some great mechanics, but over-all being smart and aggressive gets you boned. :(

I somewhat agree.

You're right. It's way too easy to exploit attacks and this promotes reactionary play where defense is king. I wouldn't call it boring to watch, unless it's really a block-orgy (not the fun kind of orgy), but it's a definitely problem. When attacking puts you in a bad situation while turtling is pretty safe, something needs to be changed. I for one think the devs did come up with an amazing combat system and since the game is showcasing their ingeniosity overall pretty well, so I'm sure they'll find a solution to make high level of play more rewarding, fair and enjoyable.

Personally I enjoy watching For Honor streams and even though the recent stream didn't pit top tier players against each other, I had a great time watching it nonetheless. I also enjoy watching people like Soulancient, or Mege, who seem to be pretty top tier players.

Late game is all about feints and capitalizing on your enemy's mistakes, which is also true for professional martial arts matches. It's kinda like a boxing match where both athletes are equally good. I wouldn't call that boring per se.

Peligrad
02-08-2017, 06:52 PM
The "highest" level of play in For Honor is never attacking first. Watching a match where both opponents just stare at each other 5 mins each round would get extremely boring. Sorry, but get ready for an "intense" hyper-passive meta for all the "pro" matches.

This is ridiculously over-exaggerated.

Feints are in the game for a reason. Guard breaks are in the game for a reason.

Good players aren't going to "just stare at each other." Yes there will probably be more probing than in low tier matches but interesting none-the-less.

n1_Symphony
02-08-2017, 08:16 PM

Good players aren't going to "just stare at each other." Yes there will probably be more probing than in low tier matches but interesting none-the-less.

It isn't over-exaggerated. There is absolutely no reason to attack first, especially with the extremely long hit-stun from landing a parry. Also, it doesn't help that the parry is easier to land than the old deflect. Watch the meta devolve into a hyper-passive "fight" over the next 3 months. Also, p2p will not help the issue of the stale meta either. 3 months, just you wait... :/

Also, a "top tier" player will watch you spam feints and always anticipate a guard break. A lot of promising 3-D fighters always fall into the same unfortunate meta. It's really too bad because all those fighters have potential to be great games.

Egotistic_Ez
02-09-2017, 12:11 AM
The game has a lot of potential as an e-sport. It's great to watch, there's a high skill cap, and there are enough lulls for commentating and camera work.

The one possible failing is the defence issue that others have mentioned. Attacking is currently at too much of a penalty, so pro matches will be far too slow.

That said, I consider this a balance issue, and hopefully something that can be addressed before the release of ranked.

You clearly haven't watched some of the top tier plays on youtube. With the way feints work it's still easy for good players to parry the follow-up, and rarely do players not escape guardbreaks.