PDA

View Full Version : me262



LotharGR
03-26-2004, 04:46 AM
Is it accurate historically that the me262 when is pushing its engines over 80% its like having afterburners? The flame coming out of jet engines is from fuel being burned in the turbine champer, more commonly known as "afterburner". So it would not be possible for the me262 to give such a effect when it is pushing its engines to the limit. Not that it is a bad effect, its just not accurate historically.

LotharGR
03-26-2004, 04:46 AM
Is it accurate historically that the me262 when is pushing its engines over 80% its like having afterburners? The flame coming out of jet engines is from fuel being burned in the turbine champer, more commonly known as "afterburner". So it would not be possible for the me262 to give such a effect when it is pushing its engines to the limit. Not that it is a bad effect, its just not accurate historically.

Slush69
03-26-2004, 05:08 AM
That is a very thorough, wellresearched and thoughtful analysis. I am utterly convinced that the Maddox team will reevaluate the Me-262 after you have shared these thoughts.

On behalf of the entire flight sim community I would like to take this opportunity to thank you, and express my hope that you will keep up the good work. You might for instance look into the cockpit of the Fw-190.

cheers/slush

http://www.wilcks.dk/crap/Eurotrolls.gif

TinkerToy__
03-26-2004, 05:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slush69:
That is a very thorough, wellresearched and thoughtful analysis. I am utterly convinced that the Maddox team will reevaluate the Me-262 after you have shared these thoughts.

On behalf of the entire flight sim community I would like to take this opportunity to thank you, and express my hope that you will keep up the good work. You might for instance look into the cockpit of the Fw-190.

cheers/slush

http://www.wilcks.dk/crap/Eurotrolls.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif

Spinne_3.-JG51
03-26-2004, 05:50 AM
Oh come on. Don't be so hard on him. It's his first post to boot.

http://www.student.richmond.edu/~vk5qa/images/forumsig.jpg

"Come on in, I'll treat you nice! I used to know your father."

dahdah
03-26-2004, 06:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LotharGR:
Is it accurate historically that the me262 when is pushing its engines over 80% its like having afterburners? The flame coming out of jet engines is from fuel being burned in the turbine chamber, more commonly known as "afterburner". So it would not be possible for the me262 to give such a effect when it is pushing its engines to the limit. Not that it is a bad effect, its just not accurate historically.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

An "afterburner" is not the turbine chamber. The fuel is not ignited in the turbine section but in the 6 combustion chamber 'cans' in front of the turbine section.

http://www.geocities.com/h_zoeller/jumo004_a1.jpg

http://roger.ecn.purdue.edu/~propulsi/propulsion/images/jets/basics/aftburn1.jpg

Zayets
03-26-2004, 06:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slush69:
That is a very thorough, wellresearched and thoughtful analysis. I am utterly convinced that the Maddox team will reevaluate the Me-262 after you have shared these thoughts.

On behalf of the entire flight sim community I would like to take this opportunity to thank you, and express my hope that you will keep up the good work. You might for instance look into the cockpit of the Fw-190.

cheers/slush

http://www.wilcks.dk/crap/Eurotrolls.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that really neceessary? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/53.gif

Zayets out
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Zayets-iar80pic.jpg

VaporBlast
03-26-2004, 10:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dahdah:

An "afterburner" is not the turbine chamber. The fuel is not ignited in the turbine section but in the 6 combustion chamber 'cans' in front of the turbine section.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


I'm sorry but the fuel in an afterburner is not injected in the combustion chamber but after the turbine's section because of the temperature limitation of the turbines. In other words, turbine do not like too much heat stress although they work in a high temperature environement. The reason for the afterburner and it is why it is called that way is to burn any remaining oxygen particule left after the combustion chamber. It can give you 50 % more trust but at a cost of about 150% more fuel.

dahdah
03-26-2004, 11:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VaporBlast:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dahdah:

An "afterburner" is not the turbine chamber. The fuel is not ignited in the turbine section but in the 6 combustion chamber 'cans' in front of the turbine section.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


I'm sorry but the fuel in an afterburner is not injected in the combustion chamber but after the turbine's section because of the temperature limitation of the turbines. In other words, turbine do not like too much heat stress although they work in a high temperature environement. The reason for the afterburner and it is why it is called that way is to burn any remaining oxygen particule left after the combustion chamber. It can give you 50 % more trust but at a cost of about 150% more fuel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


VaporBlast, sorry came out wrong. Should have worded it better.http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Actually if one watches early jet exhausts one sees 'dirty' smoke from the incomplete combustion because of the lack of oxygen, not because of an excess of oxygen. An AB gives a 'dirty' exhaust because of an excess of fuel, ie a rich fuel/air mixture. If there was an excess of oxygen then there would be a 'clean' burn. The J79 in the F4 is a good example.