PDA

View Full Version : Improvement for P2P

KingOfSoho
01-31-2017, 12:10 AM
lets be real, there will be no dedicated servers, setting up thousands of entities for 8 players each at the same time is just way too resource costly.

Idea: Only folks with a decent connection can setup a game. Like you can enable or mark yourself as a host. If your connection passes some basic tests, lets say up-/downloadspeed+ping, you qualify as a host and can host matches.

Maybe the system could even "rate" hosts based on avg ping, spikes and connection losses he produces for everyone and pick the best out of the group for each match.

Naoma_
01-31-2017, 01:20 AM
That could work but the biggest problems i see with P2P is if the host leaves it just sucks for everyone and I remember in gears of war the host had an edge in combat. But seeing how combat works in for honor i dont think that would be an issue, mainly just the leaving thing sucks.

Perhaps penalizing leaving would solve these issues?

T_Sesh
01-31-2017, 01:59 AM
The system already essentially works this way. When matchmaking is done, the player with the best upload speed is chosen as the host for the match. The problem is, most home internet connections do not have great upload speeds, so if everyone has a poor upload, it will result in a poor match regardless. Match making would take a lot longer to complete if it only ever relied on "marked' players to host.