PDA

View Full Version : Guard breaks seem...too good.

PssrDavis
01-30-2017, 03:19 PM
What's going on everyone. I was just curious about everyone else's opinion on guard breaks. I played mostly peacekeeper during this beta and it really seemed like most of the best tactics involved guard breaking. I also witnessed a lot of the more experienced players using it heavily too. For me this is a red flag because, naturally, if something is being used heavily then it's probably working a little too well and requires some looking at. I feel like the window to escape a guard break needs to be extended or the amount of time that you're stuck with your foot in your mouth needs to be shortened. You have to admit... The window is really small to escape; whilst the window for everything else is pretty solid. There just doesn't seem to be enough risk for doing it like there is for everything else. Also, why are we treated as if our guard was broken even if we aren't guarding? That just seems silly since the point of a guard break is to punish turtles.

What are your thoughts?

... That revenge mode crap needs tuning too.

SandmanRechena
01-30-2017, 03:52 PM
I really don't like guard breaking and really don't use it that much, I use feinting, parry and counterattacks a lot more. Some people use it a lot, though, which forces you to have a finger ready to use on that guard break button for defense. I think that it can be beat with strategy but I do agree that it does have a smaller window than everything else

Eirmund
01-30-2017, 06:06 PM
I agree. As it stands currently it's nearly impossible to get out of unless you correctly anticipate them doing it before they actually do it. By the time you get caught by it, it's already too late to reverse.

Illuvatar__
01-30-2017, 07:13 PM
on 1 vs 1 u can manage to escape the break guard but on 2 vs 1 ,like on dominion mode, if someone get on u side and keep spamming it is impossible to avoid

LegendaryPLANK
01-30-2017, 07:47 PM
I agree. I'm fairly certain that latency is causing the escape to be harder than intended.

Also, if two players attempt to guardbreak each other simultaneously, it seems to randomly choose a winner. A better idea is for them to cancel each other out - like in other fighting games.

BananaBlighter
01-30-2017, 09:24 PM
I agree, your reactions have to be ridiculous to pull it off consistently. In comparison to guard break countering, deflects and parries are ridiculously easy.

LegendaryPLANK
02-01-2017, 12:47 AM
Sadly this issue doesn't seem to be getting any traction.

Something I'm seeing is that even if a guardbreak is teched, a follow up guardbreak is basically guaranteed.

Guardbreak abuse makes the game very uninteresting and it appears, so far, we're stuck with it.

The Tzeentch
02-01-2017, 01:09 AM
This is fighting game with steep learning curve like most fighting games, if you were looking for darksouls like light combat you are in wrong game. So why is guardbreak hard to counter for some people? If you are getting guarbreaked it means that you are alredy focusing in defence, so is it too much to just focus for one more defensive action? Just dont turtle too much and if you are near fatall drop/spikes be redy to counter guard break. it really is not that hard.

Helnekromancer
02-01-2017, 01:12 AM
I don't have a problem with guardbreaks if you played 1v1, 2v2 s long enough you know when players are going to do it. And if you quickly press the guard break you push them back, Hell you can do ANY light attack and you get a free hit on them because now light > guardbreaks where as a previous alpha guardbreak beaten all attacks and only another guardbreak cancels it out. Also guardbreak follow ups can be block if the person is exhausted and swings to slow or their heavy attack has to much start up you can guard it in time. And if your quick enough if you know your opponent is trying to push you of the Cliffside you can dash to the left or right just before they guard break animation kicks in so instead off being pushed off the edge he is pushing you towards nothing. Wish I recorded myself doing it in a 1v1 vs a desperate Orochi but I didn't think this was an issue.

PssrDavis
02-01-2017, 01:15 AM
*Points to last two sentences of main paragraph*