PDA

View Full Version : P-39 gun convergence!

tagTaken2
07-08-2004, 06:27 PM
What's the ideal setting if I like everything to converge at 150m?

If the machineguns are set at 150, does the 37mm cannon (bigger, heavier, different trajectory, right?) need to be set further- like 200m- to hit in the same spot?

I know that it's in the nose, but read somewhere that the shell almost drops out of the barrel... and I can't hit a smegging thing with it at the moment.

tagTaken2
07-08-2004, 06:27 PM
What's the ideal setting if I like everything to converge at 150m?

If the machineguns are set at 150, does the 37mm cannon (bigger, heavier, different trajectory, right?) need to be set further- like 200m- to hit in the same spot?

I know that it's in the nose, but read somewhere that the shell almost drops out of the barrel... and I can't hit a smegging thing with it at the moment.

Gibbage1
07-08-2004, 06:41 PM
The best advice I can give you is this.

Set the canon to 100M

Set the MG's to 300M.

Never use the two at the same time.

Peck at them with the .50's and finish him off with the 37MM.

tagTaken2
07-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Too late... weapon 1+2 mapped to button 1.

Is it a valid question?

Was gonna set differently for late 109's too.

Huxley_S
07-08-2004, 06:54 PM
You've got no chance of hitting anything with wep 1+2 mapped to the same button in the P39. You simply have to have them on two different buttons. You can afford to spray a bit with MG but you have to aim precisely with the big cannon.

http://www.baseclass.modulweb.dk/69giap/fileadmin/Image_Archive/badges/69giap_badge_huxli.jpg (http://www.baseclass.modulweb.dk/69giap)

FB Music and Campaigns @
http://www.onemorewild.org/huxley

BinaryFalcon
07-08-2004, 07:00 PM
I just set both for 250m and call it done. That gets them all on target at 250. Covergence with the center gun (cannon) sets the point at which the round will fall back through the extended centerline of the aircraft.

If you want the MGs and cannon to be hitting the same place at the same time, set them for the same convergence.

While I haven't mapped both sets of guns to the same trigger, I do usually fire them both at the same time. In the Q1, once I'm out of cannon ammo (usually after 2-4 kills, depending) I still have plenty of MG ammo in reserve, and I take that as a good sign to RTB.

Usually that works out pretty well for me.

WTE_Galway
07-08-2004, 10:02 PM
the reason i would set mg further out than cannon is i might want to use the mg to line up the shot and adjust rudder for any slip/skid before firing the cannon

if you must fire both on the same button set convergence to the same range

general speaking though, firing two weapons with a different ballistics simultaneously is counterproductive

BinaryFalcon
07-09-2004, 08:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
the reason i would set mg further out than cannon is i might want to use the mg to line up the shot and adjust rudder for any slip/skid before firing the cannon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does that work? Of what value is your ranging with the MGs if they are set to converge at a different distance than your cannons? Obviously if the difference is small (10-20m), it's not going to make a huge difference, but it still won't be giving you the optimum cannon hit if you range with differently converged weapons.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>general speaking though, firing two weapons with a different ballistics simultaneously is counterproductive<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, why? I'm not trying to bust your chops here, I just don't understand how that could possibly be the case, so if I'm missing something I'd like to know.

Convergence takes ballistics into account, which should render them irrelevant when taking about the convergence point. As I understand it, the point of setting convergence it to make sure all of your rounds impact a specific point (not an wide area) at a certain range.

In effect, you are creating a cone, with the base passing through all of your weapons and the point centered on the convergence distance. Ideally, this point will be dead centerline of the aircraft in both the vertical and horizontal axes.

The MGs shoot much flatter than the cannon but are mounted on the wings, so they will require less elevation but more side angle to make sure the rounds arrive centered horizontally and vertically in front of the aircraft at 250m (or whatever distance you prefer).

The cannon is mounted on the horizontal centerline, but does not shoot nearly as flat as the MGs, so it will require little to no side angle but greater elevation.

The end result of all of this is that all of your rounds should be arriving at the exact same point 250m in front of the aircraft. Due to ballistics they may be arriving from slightly different directions, but the point of impact will be the same, giving your firing "cone" a very sharp point.

Setting the cannons to a different convergence only serves to blunt the tip of the cone and spread your damage out over a larger area. Now this is fine if you specifically want cannons harmonized for greater range due to their higher hitting power, but to set them differently simply because they have "different ballistics" doesn't make any sense, as harmonizing the guns is intended (in part) to take differing ballistics out of the equation.

Covino
07-09-2004, 09:28 AM
The reason for setting different convergences for difference weapons is simple. Different weapons have different pros and cons.

MG's are usually converged further out because the bullets are faster, usually have a flatter trajectory, you have a lot of ammo to spray at distant targets, and they fire fast so again, you can easily spray at distant targets.

Cannons are set for close in shooting because the bullets are a bit slower, they tend to "drop off" sooner, you usually don't have much ammo so save it for close-in targets, and you usualy only have 1 or 2 (and they fire slow) so spraying at distant targets generally won't work.

Different weapons for different distances, you see?

Firing both weapons at the same time is not productive because if you fire both at a distant target, you're wasting ammo thats better saved for close-in targets. And your ammo won't reach target at same time because of speed and trajectory differences (so while leading, only one type of your ammo will be hitting, understand?).

The same holds true for close in targets. Not to mention firing MG's while aiming with the cannon also increases shaking and recoil.

BpGemini
07-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Whether or not you want to keep both weapons 1+2 mapped to the trigger you should consider 100m convergence for your cannon. In the nose mounted cannon a 100m convergence will take the lob out of the shot. It hugs the sight line for a longer period than other convergences. On your Mgs it's all in your preference. I like my Mgs set to 250m. I also like keeping the guns separate, I claw/nibble/irritate with the Mgs and rip/tear/decimate with the cannon. Offline keeping both mapped to one button may work fine because the AI are too predictable but Online you may find a different story. It may do you a world of good to save your 37mm shells early in fights against Yaks and Zeros. They both wear down quickly with a few Mgs holes in their wings. Really makes it easy to line up that sniper/kill shot.

http://www.blitzpigs.com/photos/P-39_BlitzPig_Sig_Bloodied.jpg
CWoS FB forum. More Cheese, Less Whine. (http://www.acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25)
Original IL-2 P-39 and FB P-63 vet.
The Pig Sty (http://blitzpigs.com/)