PDA

View Full Version : The FW190A4 zippo

ImpStarDuece
09-10-2004, 12:26 AM
I am going to get howeled at a bit for violating the 'no evidence rule' of ORR but i'm just running with some recent experiances.

Running QMB 2 on 4 Spit Vbs vs Fw 190a4s on the Crimea map i kept noticing that the 190 was incrediably prone to catching fire from rear hemisphere .303 hits.

I tested this multiple times and found that it was easier to bring down a 190a4 with my .303s than with the Hispanos.

Anyone else found this? Seems really wierd. Doesn't happen with 12.7 or 7.62/92 fire. Dont even know if it happens with the Hurricane. Are we seeing something similar to the 7smoking jug' of 2.00?

Might have to go and record some tracks and do some tersting.

ImpStarDuece,

Flying Bullet Magnet... Catching Lead Since 2002

"There's no such thing as gravity, the earth sucks!"

"...war is nothing but the continuation of policy with other means."
- Carl von Clauswitz (1827)

ImpStarDuece
09-10-2004, 12:26 AM
I am going to get howeled at a bit for violating the 'no evidence rule' of ORR but i'm just running with some recent experiances.

Running QMB 2 on 4 Spit Vbs vs Fw 190a4s on the Crimea map i kept noticing that the 190 was incrediably prone to catching fire from rear hemisphere .303 hits.

I tested this multiple times and found that it was easier to bring down a 190a4 with my .303s than with the Hispanos.

Anyone else found this? Seems really wierd. Doesn't happen with 12.7 or 7.62/92 fire. Dont even know if it happens with the Hurricane. Are we seeing something similar to the 7smoking jug' of 2.00?

Might have to go and record some tracks and do some tersting.

ImpStarDuece,

bazzaah2
09-10-2004, 05:35 AM
yup, I'll have a look at that a bit later too.

Post your tracks though when you have some.

http://www.endlager.net/fis/pix/banners/fis_banner_05.gif

Crashing online as :FI:SpinyNorman

Normally Spiny Norman was wont to be about
twelve feet from snout to tail, but when Dinsdale was depressed Norman could be
anything up to eight hundred yards long.

BlackStar2000
09-10-2004, 05:58 AM
Plz check i-16, mig3u 1942 and IL2, sometimes users in this place demand too many correctios or demand the german planes to be perfect in numbers, but these guy forget the old very wierd russian planes when they become too good.

VW-IceFire
09-10-2004, 06:57 AM
I think whats lighting up is the main fuel tank. It seems that any machine gun type weapon seems adept at piercing the tank and lighting the plane on fire.

However, this is not something that occurs all the time. I fly the FW's alot, especially online, and I've only had my tank lit up a small number of the total times I've been shot down.

It may be something that could be looked at...but I seem to notice this happening offline quite a bit more than online.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RAF No 92 Squadron
"Either fight or die"

clint-ruin
09-10-2004, 08:26 AM
From 1.22 FB to 2.00 or 2.01 AEP, there was almost certainly some kind of change in incendiary effectiveness. The .303 has a lot of API coming out, almost all of it really likes lighting up fuel tanks.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/gwen/fb/leninkoba.jpg

[This message was edited by clint-ruin on Fri September 10 2004 at 06:36 PM.]

ZG77_Nagual
09-10-2004, 08:36 AM
That tank is very vulnerable for the lower rear quadrant - this is historically accurate by the way. I've seen a vvs document on fighting the 190 and it and side cockpit vulnerabilities are listed. .303s work well because of rate of fire.

bazzaah2
09-10-2004, 09:41 AM
did a qmb with the Spit Vb against A4.

Quick,1-2 sec burst of .303 fire to the engine is enough to get the a4 smoking.

Whether that's realistic or not, I have no idea.

http://www.endlager.net/fis/pix/banners/fis_banner_05.gif

Crashing online as :FI:SpinyNorman

Normally Spiny Norman was wont to be about
twelve feet from snout to tail, but when Dinsdale was depressed Norman could be
anything up to eight hundred yards long.

WUAF_Badsight
09-10-2004, 07:21 PM
what Clint Ruin said

API is the best bullet in-game for PK , motor plinking , or fire starting

.303 & .50cal are best weapons to achieve this

__________________________________________________ __________________________
actual UBI post :
"If their is a good server with wonder woman views but historic planesets...let me know!" http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

ImpStarDuece
09-12-2004, 09:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I think whats lighting up is the main fuel tank. It seems that any machine gun type weapon seems adept at piercing the tank and lighting the plane on fire.

However, this is not something that occurs all the time. I fly the FW's alot, especially online, and I've only had my tank lit up a small number of the total times I've been shot down.

It may be something that could be looked at...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering that i really only fly offline this might be why it is occuring. In my time flying the A4 in one of the German campaigns i never had my fuel tank go up either.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ZG77_Nagual wrote:

That tank is very vulnerable for the lower rear quadrant - this is historically accurate by the way. I've seen a vvs document on fighting the 190 and it and side cockpit vulnerabilities are listed. .303s work well because of rate of fire. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank. I never knew that. Thats why i love these boards. For all the flaming that goes on sometimes there are usually two more people with sensible logical answers.

Armed with this new info and realising that i HAVE been getting a lot of low angle belly shots i shall now continue to wreak havoc in my Spit. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/smileys-gun2.gif

ImpStarDuece,

actionhank1786
09-15-2004, 10:51 PM
I thought with my terrible flying shooting down 4 190's in a spitfire was either A. Godly intervention, or B. Something in the game http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/Actionhank/New-Tag.jpg

Actionhank
~Aaron White

quiet_man
09-18-2004, 05:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ZG77_Nagual wrote:
That tank is very vulnerable for the lower rear quadrant - this is historically accurate by the way. I've seen a vvs document on fighting the 190 and it and side cockpit vulnerabilities are listed. .303s work well because of rate of fire. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank. I never knew that. Thats why i love these boards. For all the flaming that goes on sometimes there are usually two more people with sensible logical answers.

Armed with this new info and realising that i HAVE been getting a lot of low angle belly shots i shall now continue to wreak havoc in my Spit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

it is dangerous to relay on a single sentence.

If I remember the report correctly, it said the lower fuel tank was vulnerabe to 20mm hits, other parts of the machine not so.

As far as I know the sides of the cockpit (but only relay from side, not from behind/front side) and the oil cooling ring in front of the engine were the only vital parts of the 190 vulnerable to MG fire.

hitting the cockpit from above is not mentioned, I think because no airplane of this time had armor above the pilot

for bomber attack missions the germans added heavy armor plattes to the cockpit sides, so they had a good chance to go through a bomber formation without beeing hurt. If you look at the number of kills bomber gunner reported and the real german reports, I would say they often hit the oil cooler.

But this was not a deadly hit, the 190 pilots just disengaged with a dive, leaving a nice smoke cloud. If no alied fighter followed he had a good chance to find a nice medow or even nurse the plan to an airfield and a few hours/days later the plane was again ready for combat.

Dont hear to those telling about propaganda numbers, the internal reports of German and most alied administrations tracked every plane from construction to destrucktion, just speak with someone doing serious work for Museums. There are only problems to track historie of a plane if the parts of different plane where use to rebuild a new one. (It's the question with serials where used on further reports)

from behind the 190 had realy not much to hit with MGs (don't get me wrong: I don't count .50 or such calibre as MGs, those are a heavy MG, not cannon but a different class than MG). The reports from American aces (at least those that I read) also say that from behind you had to keep a good burst of .50 on a single part of the 190 (they aimed for the cockpit, a damaged plan can land, a dead pilot can't), for a relaible kill.

Still not the hole picture, a high velocity bullet hitting a machine running at full power can do alot of damage, but for planes like the 190 and P47 this was not so common like for the P51, 109 and also the Spit.

I like IL2 because it is good, but it is not perfect.

Regards,
quiet_man

jeroen_R90S
09-19-2004, 07:52 AM
Did a QMB with me in I-15 M62 (with ShKAS) and four Fiat CR42s.

Never seen so many exploding CR's in my life...! 2 or 3 (can't remember, sorry) out of four blew up in my face, the last one exploded so close it took me with him.

I was so amazed I forgot to save the track...

Jeroen

==============================
Ah you LaGG, my lightened LaGG,
why don't you wish to fly?
Over the wild Black Sea water
your cockpit you made me leave.