PDA

View Full Version : Viking outfits

Omnichron
01-26-2017, 12:03 PM
Hi,

I have to say that the game looks promising, and I really look forward to trying it out whenever it is completed.

However, there is one thing that looks outright silly in the trailer I've seen, which I would think has been mentioned before.. Vikings didn't have horns on their helmets, and it's actually a very silly thing to have (I mean, it would tangle up with all kinds of vegetation and people could easily take a hold of the helmet or just knock it off).

Another thing I noticed is that the vikings for some reason don't have proper armor on, and no protection on hands and arms at times. This is just as wrong as the famous platemail bikinis we see in fantasy games. Although not every viking warrior would wear a complete set of chain, most did have some sort of protection, and especially arms and hands could easily be struck.

Although, I do understand that this is a game and not a simulation of historical battles/war, and I do also understand that there is a lot to gain from having access to new looks/outfits, but could you try to keep it somewhere close to realism and not theatrical looks?

Anyways, looking forward to playing the game when it's finished! :D

Dez_troi_aR
01-26-2017, 12:19 PM
Dude, does this game really look realistic to you ? The only thing that is meant to come across semi-realistic is the fighting itself.

Omnichron
01-26-2017, 01:07 PM
Dude, does this game really look realistic to you ? The only thing that is meant to come across semi-realistic is the fighting itself.

It's a game, so I don't expect realism. However when they say "... join bold Knights, brutal Vikings and deadly Samurais", it would be nice to have somewhat close to the actual outfits that were used. Horns on helmets for vikings is as natural then as it would be for horns on helmets in modern warfare. It's silly at best.

Just because someone wanted to portrait the vikings as devils and added horns to helmet some hundred years ago in a theatrical play, it's just totally incorrect.

MusCanus
01-26-2017, 01:37 PM
How would vikings flash their tattoos while wearing armor? )

Dez_troi_aR
01-26-2017, 01:47 PM
It's a game, so I don't expect realism. However when they say "... join bold Knights, brutal Vikings and deadly Samurais", it would be nice to have somewhat close to the actual outfits that were used. Horns on helmets for vikings is as natural then as it would be for horns on helmets in modern warfare. It's silly at best.

Just because someone wanted to portrait the vikings as devils and added horns to helmet some hundred years ago in a theatrical play, it's just totally incorrect.

If i am not mistaken the depiction of vikings with helmets became popular after Richard Wagners opera "Der Ring des Nibelungen" where germanic tribes are shown wearing horned helmets. There might have also been some references 9th century monk scriptures but i am not sure of that. So yes, most people know that vikings did not actually had horns on their helmets, and that they where not generally steroid fuelled axe-swinging giants.

But this game follows the rule of cool and that is the end of it.

I am an history-nerd, too, but after about 1,5 years in this forum i am kind of tired of that discussion, no offense ;)
I am happy as long as they do not drag it into the fantasy direction, with people whielding warhammers to heavy to ever fight with or pulling of impossible moves.

Because lets be honest, if all the characters where authentic depictions of people in medieval europe, the game would look lame. Lots of 1,60m guys with strange haircuts and thick woolen clothes dyed green or something. I prefer my hollywood viking in tv-shows and videogames and the authentic version in university.