PDA

View Full Version : Give Us Competitive Seasons

NIENN NUNB
01-25-2017, 03:08 PM
Overwatch started without comp, now they're on season 3, ending soon for season 4.
Please implement some sort of incentive for trying to dedicate our time and our teams into playing this game. I've seen similar threads about it and majority of gamers look forward to leaderboards to ensure that competitive players will stick around. Battlefront had no serious competitive modes and that game struggled every time DICE/EA dropped a dlc. The division was a huge flop and I mean no disrespect but I saw that a mile away. But For honor is one of the only Games from ubisoft that I truly truly would invest my time in. This game looks absolutely brilliant and it's going to make alot of players happy if all goes well.

SournoisFox
01-25-2017, 03:26 PM
Faction war.

Dez_troi_aR
01-25-2017, 04:51 PM
Faction War.

I am replying because i want to use every chance to speak out in favour of leagues and leaderboards as well as ranks.

e.Key
01-25-2017, 06:20 PM
Faction war is not competitive. We need ranks and or leaderboards. To feel some kind of progression the game really needs that.
This will help the game with longevity, a competitive scene and also just raw twitch numbers. Hopefully they make the right decision and implement it sooner then later.

PowerSenpai
01-25-2017, 07:28 PM
Faction wars seem shallow and boorish to me and i doubt it will keep people around. If it felt more meaningful, and you could see yourself getting higher up on a leader board for helping out your faction, then it might be interesting.

Indeed as OP said, i think something more competitive is important. I would love a ranked mode with leader boards with different tiers for differently skilled players.

Dez_troi_aR
01-25-2017, 07:51 PM
Faction wars seem shallow and boorish to me and i doubt it will keep people around. If it felt more meaningful, and you could see yourself getting higher up on a leader board for helping out your faction, then it might be interesting.

Indeed as OP said, i think something more competitive is important. I would love a ranked mode with leader boards with different tiers for differently skilled players.

+1
Faction war is season based and theoretically competitive but i guess it wont feel as if you can really contribute to it in any way. Its a nice extra.

Okay, what is the appeal of leaderboards? I'm genuinely curious at this point why so many people are concerned with what just seems like a scoreboard to me...

It is a measurement for your progress. For people whose main interest in the game is to increase their skill, this is an important mechanic. Otherwise you never know if you just win because you get weak opponents or if you are actually a good player. Striving for mastery and beeing one of the best players is a main motivator for the majority of ppl interested in competitive games. Without Boards, leagues etc you never know where you stand. It is a must have.

I personally played starcraft 2 for hours every day for years. Not for skins or better units or something, but just to get into masterleague.

e.Key
01-25-2017, 08:14 PM
The progression is the leveling up and customization of your hero.

But this will end at some point. There is only so much you can do. Ranks and leaderboards are limitless progress, 99,9% can always become better.

ForBoo
01-25-2017, 08:21 PM
^ Title

PowerSenpai
01-26-2017, 02:08 AM
And that is why I'm fundamentally against leaderboards or ranking systems... because people lose sight of the game and just care about having their name higher than anyone elses. I feel starcraft II was ruined because of their ladder system - no one ever talks about the amazing campaign or cutscenes or anything that clearly had so much effort put into it... they talk about what position they're in on a ladder system.

I guess I'll always view this differently... but I think any time this type of system is put in place in a game, it kills the point of the game. So you showed you're the best at a game... So what? Someone will always come along to replace you eventually.

You are against something because it allows people to enjoy it in a different way than you prefer to yourself? That makes absolutely no sense. To me, i don't care about the campaign, skins, cutscenes or whatever else in For Honor, i just want to experience it as a fun multiplayer experience and as a competitive game. By having a leaderboard, i gain something i can see, something that proves that me improving my skills has a effect and reward.

So no, it does not ruin the point of a game, but add one for people that view things differently than you.

Dez_troi_aR
01-26-2017, 02:49 PM
And that is why I'm fundamentally against leaderboards or ranking systems... because people lose sight of the game and just care about having their name higher than anyone elses. I feel starcraft II was ruined because of their ladder system - no one ever talks about the amazing campaign or cutscenes or anything that clearly had so much effort put into it... they talk about what position they're in on a ladder system.

I guess I'll always view this differently... but I think any time this type of system is put in place in a game, it kills the point of the game. So you showed you're the best at a game... So what? Someone will always come along to replace you eventually.

I have to object.
As a long time SC nerd, who has played SC1 since i was old enough to hold a mouse, i love many aspects of the games franchise/lore etc. . But looking back, the campaign and its cutscenes of 2 games and 4 expansions, as cool as they were, just pale in comparison to the many hundreds hours multiplayer battles i've fought online.
Aside from the quantitave factor, the game in single player never gets close to its true potential. The whole depth of the gameplay unfolds in multiplayer.

Though i guess most of them love their campaign and the story of sc, the core-fanbase plays the game because of its perfectly fine tuned online-pvp. Telling SC-guys that they should calm down a little and enjoy the cool cutscenes comes close to telling a competitive cyclyst to slow down and enjoy the landscape more. Its not wrong but it doesnt really get the idea behind the activity.

I think i can even proove that campaign/story really is secondary: SC and SC2 have completely different art styles and storytelling (because blizzard changed the overall style and philosophy of their games quite a lot in the hughe gap between the two games). Yet there was little complaining amongst the fanbase. Some thought it turned out too fantasy-ish and less "cowboys in space" as it was in sc1. But overall the fanbase didnt care that much because the gameplay was still intact and had that starcraft-feel to it. Also, the design of their online surrounding was improved a lot. With a league system ;)