PDA

View Full Version : Stop bashing Hollywood...

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 12:56 AM
if it wasn't for the movie U-571 how many of you whinners out there would know anything today about the Enigma machine being captured by the Royal Navy. The publicity generated by the film made me want to find out more about that daring event.
Hollywood is a film industry making movies for yes...entertainment not documentaries for historical accuracy.
Go badger the BBC and ask why they couldn't make a series/film on the Royal Navy capturing the enigma machine.
they will say lack of funds...poppycock....the Gerries done it with DAS BOOT.
And all that fuss about Saving Private Ryan not having British or Canadian's in it ...well why should it, it was a film about a squad of U.S. soldiers not how the D-Day campaign was fought.
As for Pearl Harbor....I liked it for what it was, a love story set against a tragic historical event.

I recently watched a British Film called Enigma...what mince that was. Full of public schoolboys playing codebreakers as if that was the best the British done in the war.
It's about time us Brits stood up and moaned at the BBC, ITV and BFI and the rest and demanded historical films/Series taht should the true fighting spirit of the British and British Empire troops.

God Bless em each and every one, and God save the USA for without her, we would have a darker world today.

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 12:56 AM
if it wasn't for the movie U-571 how many of you whinners out there would know anything today about the Enigma machine being captured by the Royal Navy. The publicity generated by the film made me want to find out more about that daring event.
Hollywood is a film industry making movies for yes...entertainment not documentaries for historical accuracy.
Go badger the BBC and ask why they couldn't make a series/film on the Royal Navy capturing the enigma machine.
they will say lack of funds...poppycock....the Gerries done it with DAS BOOT.
And all that fuss about Saving Private Ryan not having British or Canadian's in it ...well why should it, it was a film about a squad of U.S. soldiers not how the D-Day campaign was fought.
As for Pearl Harbor....I liked it for what it was, a love story set against a tragic historical event.

I recently watched a British Film called Enigma...what mince that was. Full of public schoolboys playing codebreakers as if that was the best the British done in the war.
It's about time us Brits stood up and moaned at the BBC, ITV and BFI and the rest and demanded historical films/Series taht should the true fighting spirit of the British and British Empire troops.

God Bless em each and every one, and God save the USA for without her, we would have a darker world today.

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 01:21 AM
I just love how regulars pick new identities almost daily around here. LOL! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<center>
http://sunstarentertainment.maddsites.com/images/151sig.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat/
JOIN OUR SQUAD TODAY!
http://sunstarentertainment.maddsites.com/images/1banner.gif

http://sunstarentertainment.maddsites.com/il2homepage.html

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 01:28 AM
many people know that it was the royal navy that captured the enigma machine,to say it was the americans that captured it, is an insult to the men who risked thier lives , on a sinking u-boat, to capture a machine that would change the course of the battle of the atlantic, all hollywood is out to do is make money, to retain a shred of historical accuracy, they could of at least named the movie U-110

here is a picture of the actual capture

http://www.1939-45.org/images/imarticl/u110/U1102.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 01:46 AM
So according to this guy is better to know falsified history than to know no history at all??? Maybe if they should put some more money in their public school systems they would learn how to THINK!

GATO_LOCO

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 02:00 AM
Gato_Loco wrote:
- So according to this guy is better to know falsified
- history than to know no history at all??? Maybe if
- they should put some more money in their public
- school systems they would learn how to THINK!
-
- GATO_LOCO

My God another simpleton...
i dont say for one minute that false history is alright, I am saying at least Hollywood brings history to our attention, it is then up to us to decide and find out if we wish to know more.

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 03:07 AM
sandbag_69 wrote:
- if it wasn't for the movie U-571 how many of you
- whinners out there would know anything today about
- the Enigma machine being captured by the Royal Navy.

Quite a few I suspect, I certainly did.

- The publicity generated by the film made me want to
- find out more about that daring event.
- Hollywood is a film industry making movies for
- yes...entertainment not documentaries for historical
- accuracy.

When you distort historical events for entertainment you are not just making entertainment anymore.

- Go badger the BBC and ask why they couldn't make a
- series/film on the Royal Navy capturing the enigma
- machine.

They have covered it in documentaries.

- they will say lack of funds...poppycock....the
- Gerries done it with DAS BOOT.

DAS BOOT doesn't cover the capture of an enigma machine.

- As for Pearl Harbor....I liked it for what it was, a
- love story set against a tragic historical event.

Pearl Harbour was a tragic rewrite of history, with crap acting and poorly applied special effects.

-
- I recently watched a British Film called
- Enigma...what mince that was. Full of public
- schoolboys playing codebreakers as if that was the
- best the British done in the war.

It was some of the best the Brits did in the war, just like the Magic decodes were some of the best the US did in the war - it just wasn't filled with dramatic bayonet charges, let me guess, you are 14?

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 03:17 AM
are you guys tryin to tell me that Pearl Harbor is nto historical ??

in other words are you saying :

- that crop dusters in 1930 did not have an electric start ??

- that Pearl and BoB did not occur in the same year ??

- that the USAAC did not beat the japs at Pearl by out manouvering those heavy ungainly zeroes making them crash into each other ???

- that the japanese navy did not repaint there planes in army colors just for the Pearl attack to fool the Americans?

how could you make such claims .. shame on you !!!

<center> http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDLAtUWiWZ3BKw19!aryp7v3C1h1DuNwpHOOuqhlraGSyMAY KiPEOZAA1OBgsLu*Sa0UQ2my0PiFyvNkJ5K7Clsoy7yNtEvOXY nHDuPNiotpZACY2oJxw/aircraftround.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 03:29 AM
Hollywood has produced some of the worst excuses for "historically-based" movies ever created. Many of these border on just plain insulting. For example, Pearl Harbour, which is simply riddled with inaccuracies. Also, look at u-571, which implies that Americans were involved in the capture of the Enigma machine. This is simply a disgrace to the Royal Navy's effort during the war. Furthermore, there is the new film "The Few", which goes so far as to suggest that Americans were instrumental in wining the Battle of Britain! Many people are, rightly so, furious at this.

Hollywood produces many movies which bear little to no resemblance with history, and it is because of people how are willing to allow them to rewrite history that they continue to do this.

One should never watch a hollywood movie to learn History. Instead, read books, and watch documentaries. Watching hollywood, especially if one doesnt know what really happened, simply fosters ignorance of history.

Regards,
luftwaffe_109

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 03:29 AM
Actually, the Poles got an enigma machine for the British in about 1939. Everything else, subsequentally, was partial coverup.

The unsung 'codebreakers' of the Brits were the ones who did more than has Yet to be revealed to win the war. For example, Montgomery and Patton in North Africa knew Rommels EXACT plans for El ALmein Before the battle commenced...

The RAF fighters were directed to the most significant incoming raids based upon foreknowledge from communications intercepts...

Eisenhower often read the same messages being read by Hitler over morning coffeee

The UBoat plans and activities were Totally known by the Allies...

Etc...

<center>Wiley</center><center><font color="#FF0000";font size="3pt">Click HERE to visit Wiley'sWWIIGunCameraWorld (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/flightsims/oberstguncam/Frameset/)</center>
<center>http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/wi/wileycoyote2/IwoJimatiny2.gif (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/flightsims/oberstguncam/Movies/SandsOne.WMV) </center>
<center><font size ="2pt">Click Flag-Raising for the Full-Size(4.2Mb) Version</center>

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 05:05 AM
Yep,

U hollywood bashers are lame.

If you don't like the movies they make, keep your rubles or pesos or whatever in yer wee pockets. If you can't go see a pic like Saving Private Ryan and take it for what it is then I am sad for you.

You're so worried about some mass impact on society's views of the world and history that you are missing the whole point. If these movies at least bring to attention what our grandparents and great grandparents went through, then I say OK. If seeing the new BOB flick causes some teenager to go out and try to learn more about what happened over the Channel, then terrific.

Where do you get your accurate information? The History Channel?

http://forums.ubi.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Go read a book and quit posting.

"We will welcome them with bullets and shoes."

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 05:09 AM
GR142_Astro wrote:
If these movies at
- least bring to attention what our grandparents and
- great grandparents went through, then I say OK. If
- seeing the new BOB flick causes some teenager to go
- out and try to learn more about what happened over
- the Channel, then terrific.

These movies are propaganda intended to give young people a distorted view of history for political purposes .. no more and no less.

<center> http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDLAtUWiWZ3BKw19!aryp7v3C1h1DuNwpHOOuqhlraGSyMAY KiPEOZAA1OBgsLu*Sa0UQ2my0PiFyvNkJ5K7Clsoy7yNtEvOXY nHDuPNiotpZACY2oJxw/aircraftround.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 05:26 AM
What does Hollywood have to do with General Discussion (IL-2 Related) forum? Just a question. S!

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 06:27 AM
WTE_Galway wrote:
- These movies are propaganda intended to give young
- people a distorted view of history for political
- purposes .. no more and no less.

That is the biggest load of she-it that you have posted in awhile. Where do you get these stories from? Oh yeah the internet LOL! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Message Edited on 09/29/0310:27PM by BlackPhenix

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 06:56 AM
BlackPhenix wrote:
- WTE_Galway wrote:
-- These movies are propaganda intended to give young
-- people a distorted view of history for political
-- purposes .. no more and no less.

I can only assume you are american and also believe the weapons of nmass destruction will turn up one day and that the US is saving the world yet again from a mass attack by the hundreds of thousands of highly trained al quaeda terrorists who every day are about to destroy London Paris and Tokyo but are secretly stopped by US cladestine forces http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 06:51 PM
MODs...if you ae ANYWHERE around, which I doubt, Close this thread. ... he's off once again on his anti-american, pro-terrorist track..again...

WTE_Galway wrote:....
- ...I can only assume you are american and also believe
- the weapons of nmass destruction will turn up one
- day and that the US is saving the world yet again
- from a mass attack by the hundreds of thousands of
- highly trained al quaeda terrorists who every day
- are about to destroy London Paris and Tokyo but are
- secretly stopped by US cladestine forces http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
-

At least the original toppic of this thread implied that it had something to do with WWII history..

Message Edited on 09/30/0310:52AM by OberstWiley

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 07:18 PM
I will not stop bashing Hollywood...I will and I live in California. When it comes to history they love to rewrite. For the basic moron on the street who never learned it in school and will not spend a shred of energy to seek and learn the truth is is an absolute tragedy.

Any 12 year old in Europe can give you a better account of US History than a college grad in the States!

I love history allways have and will research a topic to death. Enigma has been well covered in documentaries and books...would make a great movie all on its own. In fact the best movies are ones based and true to real life events.

Just like Gladiator...I loved the movie but historically it is a piece S#@$...!

DAS BOOT was fabulous but it is an anomoly. I also love ENEMY AT THE GATE...great pic. There are many others...!

The truth is out there.

Happy hunting and check six!

Tony Ascaso, RN

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 07:30 PM
I say feck Hollywood when it comes to this stuff. Why is it that they think history has to be altered to make a good film? There's nothing that says telling the events as they happened would be any less compelling than how some ill informed screenwriter hack twists them. Tell people the real stories. I bet Hollywood would be surprised at how enthusiastic the response would be.

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 07:39 PM
WTE_Galway wrote:
-
--
- These movies are propaganda intended to give young
- people a distorted view of history for political
- purposes .. no more and no less.
-

If you think Hollywood is full of US propaganda it shows how little you know about the movie business. The vast majority of Hollywood actors are as liberal and anti-american as you

"We make war that we may live in peace."

Aristotle

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 07:50 PM
husky65 wrote:
-
- sandbag_69 wrote:
--
-- The publicity generated by the film made me want to
-- find out more about that daring event.
-- Hollywood is a film industry making movies for
-- yes...entertainment not documentaries for historical
-- accuracy.
-
- When you distort historical events for entertainment
- you are not just making entertainment anymore.
-
No. You are still making entertainment as long as you are not declaring that this was how it was done. Take for instance U-571 it was a good action movie it was not billed as how America captured the first Enigma machine and won the war.
-
-- Go badger the BBC and ask why they couldn't make a
-- series/film on the Royal Navy capturing the enigma
-- machine.
-
- They have covered it in documentaries.

I wish I had seen that, do you remember what it was called?

-
-- they will say lack of funds...poppycock....the
-- Gerries done it with DAS BOOT.
-
- DAS BOOT doesn't cover the capture of an enigma
- machine.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that it covered the Enigma capture, I just meant it was a good historical drama/series.
-
-
-- As for Pearl Harbor....I liked it for what it was, a
-- love story set against a tragic historical event.
-
-
- Pearl Harbour was a tragic rewrite of history, with
- crap acting and poorly applied special effects.

Yeah, but I still liked it. Not sure which part was the tragic re-write of history, as far as I know the Japs bombed the US pacific fleet at anchor in Pearl Harbor in 1941, and sank a number of ships killing more than 2000 people. I dont remember the film saying any different.
-
--
-- I recently watched a British Film called
-- Enigma...what mince that was. Full of public
-- schoolboys playing codebreakers as if that was the
-- best the British done in the war.
-
- It was some of the best the Brits did in the war,
- just like the Magic decodes were some of the best
- the US did in the war - it just wasn't filled with
- dramatic bayonet charges, let me guess, you are 14?
-
It was a great feat to break the codes but I can think of better events to base a movie on. It was a flop you know.
Wrong guess by the way, but if that is the best you can do to take me down then hey you are well mistaken.
-
-
-
-

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 07:59 PM
- WTE_Galway wrote:....
-- ...I can only assume you are american and also believe
-- the weapons of nmass destruction will turn up one
-- day and that the US is saving the world yet again
-- from a mass attack by the hundreds of thousands of
-- highly trained al quaeda terrorists who every day
-- are about to destroy London Paris and Tokyo but are
-- secretly stopped by US cladestine forces http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
--
There was no need to spoil this thread by Anti-Americanism. I don't understand why europeans do this as American Service men and Women made modern Europe possible by helping so much to kick the Nazi butts and defending against the Commies after WW2.

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 08:04 PM
Hollywoods latest gem is that 12 American pilots who fought for the RAF in the Battle of Britain actually won the BoB for the RAF!!---What about the other 3500 air personnel?
I can smell the bull s**t from here!!!

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 08:06 PM
bloody yanks,love the country hate the people,fat arogant b@$%*@s ,alls i ever hear is how the yanks won the war for the allies no way. during the battle of britain churchhill asked for help from america but they refused to join in.then it took the japs to attack perl harbour so the yanks joined in .what if japan had not attacked???????

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 08:10 PM
WTE_Galway wrote:

- I can only assume you are american and also believe
- the weapons of nmass destruction will turn up one
- day and that the US is saving the world yet again
- from a mass attack by the hundreds of thousands of
- highly trained al quaeda terrorists who every day
- are about to destroy London Paris and Tokyo but are
- secretly stopped by US cladestine forces /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

And just what are YOUR sources for gleaning the information with which you have formulated your learned opinion, huh?
See, the thing about clandestine operations is that what goes on in them isn't known to most people. That's why they're...clandestine. Get it?

Maybe such operations are amounting to a total botch job. Or maybe they are killing these terrorist scumbags by the dozen (which I ferverently hope). Or maybe it's somewhere in between. Very few, and I mean VERY few, people know.

My guess would be that you get your information the same way most everybody else here does. From reading or watching the news. And then you form your opinion. In which case the old adadge applies most redily to you: "Opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody's got one."

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 08:15 PM
karljg wrote:
- bloody yanks,love the country hate the people,fat
- arogant b@$%*@s ,alls i ever hear is how the yanks
- won the war for the allies no way. during the battle
- of britain churchhill asked for help from america
- but they refused to join in.then it took the japs to
- attack perl harbour so the yanks joined in .what if
- japan had not attacked???????
-
-

Language Timothy!! I smell a historical debate named "What if no Pear Harbor"!

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 08:17 PM
karljg wrote:
- arogant b@$%*@s ,alls i ever hear is how the yanks
- won the war for the allies no way. during the battle
- of britain churchhill asked for help from america
- but they refused to join in.then it took the japs to
- attack perl harbour so the yanks joined in .what if
- japan had not attacked???????
-
That's a very intelligent post. Do some research and you will find history a little different than your ignorant post shows. By the way what country are you from you skinny arrogant b@$%*@?

Aristotle

XyZspineZyX
Who cares about historical accuracy?

As if life isn't hectic enough, now I have to look for mistruths in ENTERNAINMENT.

Yay.

<font face="Courier New">

_____ | _____
_\__(o)__/_
./ \.

</font>

XyZspineZyX
Can we agree on the following: The USA has played a very large role in the outcome of WWII but, some people, especially hollywood people, are greatly overestimating the actual input.

Some movies tend to suggest that virtually everything in WWII was won by amaricans (as the suggested BoB movie) but this is simply untrue and hurting to the ppl that where really involved and their families/friends. Quite imagineable, yes?

Anyways, for a really 'wrong' movie about WWII aircraft, you guys should watch "Iron eagle" The P-51/BF-109 mix up isn't even its greatest fault.

BTW, I love 'saving private ryan' and 'band of brothers'

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye
shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be
measured to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif (http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php)

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Roosevelt made sure that they'd have to do something. We were in the war, just waiting to find out when.

This thread smells ...

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Platypus_1.JaVA wrote:

-
- Some movies tend to suggest that virtually
- everything in WWII was won by amaricans -

its not who exactly won the ww2, much more how they won it.
there are so many examples for bad hollywood movies.
"battle of the bulge" with henry fonda , as 1 example.
the list is endless.

http://www.bayern.de/Layout/wappen.gif

Bavaria is one of the oldest European states.
It dates back to about 500 A.D., when the Roman Empire was overcome by the onslaught of Germanic tribes. According to a widespread theory, the Bavarian tribe had descended from the Romans who remained in the country, the original Celtic population and the Germanic invaders.

Bavarian History : http://www.bayern.de/Bayern/Information/geschichteE.html#kap0

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 09:11 PM
Okay, some oil for the fire...

This Tom Clancy's quote is someones sig says: "The diffrence between reallity and fiction, fiction has to make sense"

Maybe Hollywood is only trying to make sensible movies? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

measured to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif (http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php)

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 09:12 PM
Boandlgramer wrote:
-

-- there are so many examples for bad hollywood
- movies.
- "battle of the bulge" with henry fonda , as 1
- example.
- the list is endless.
-
-
If you watched the "battle of the Bulge " it states that the film was based on the spirit of the events of the battle and was not historically accurate.
I enjoyed it as it informed me of the battle in the first place and from there on I read books etc to find out more.
I especially liked the rendition of Panzerlied, it sure got me feet stomping.

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Boandlgramer wrote:
-
- Platypus_1.JaVA wrote:
-
--
-- Some movies tend to suggest that virtually
-- everything in WWII was won by amaricans -
-
- its not who exactly won the ww2, much more how
- they won it.
- there are so many examples for bad hollywood
- movies.
- "battle of the bulge" with henry fonda , as 1
- example.
- the list is endless.

You got that right on that flick. They're supposed to be depicting the Battle Of The Bulge, winter in Belgium in 1944. It's obvious that everything was shot in dry, sunny southern California. Ridiculous.

XyZspineZyX
09-30-2003, 10:13 PM
sandbag_69 wrote:
-
- Boandlgramer wrote:
--
-
--- there are so many examples for bad hollywood
-- movies.
-- "battle of the bulge" with henry fonda , as 1
-- example.
-- the list is endless.
--
--
- If you watched the "battle of the Bulge " it states
- that the film was based on the spirit of the events
- of the battle and was not historically accurate.
- I enjoyed it as it informed me of the battle in the
- first place and from there on I read books etc to
- find out more.
- I especially liked the rendition of Panzerlied, it
- sure got me feet stomping

it was still a bad movie. but everybody has his own taste /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

what was a good hollywood movie in your opinion ? historical accurate ?

It dates back to about 500 A.D., when the Roman Empire was overcome by the onslaught of Germanic tribes. According to a widespread theory, the Bavarian tribe had descended from the Romans who remained in the country, the original Celtic population and the Germanic invaders.

Bavarian History : http://www.bayern.de/Bayern/Information/geschichteE.html#kap0

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 12:12 AM
Boandlgramer wrote:
- what was a good hollywood movie in your opinion ?
- historical accurate ?
-

"Tora Tora Tora" is an example of the sort of film Hollywood are capable of making when they are inclined to .. reasonably unbiased and historically fairly close to the facts.

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 12:33 AM
karljg wrote:
- arogant b@$%*@s

Doesn't make much sense now, does it karls?

For the record I am a Yank down to the mitochondria and I am a licensed racing cyclist of about 6' tall and 155lbs.

How's that for lazy?

Oh, and if you need help with that one, here you go:

http://cellbio.utmb.edu/cellbio/mitoch1.htm

"We will welcome them with bullets and shoes."

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 12:34 AM
WTE_Galway wrote:
-I can only assume you are american and also believe the
-weapons of nmass destruction will turn up one day and
-that the US is saving the world yet again from a mass
-attack by the hundreds of thousands of highly trained al
-quaeda terrorists who every day are about to destroy
-London Paris and Tokyo but are secretly stopped by US
-cladestine forces

You can ASSume i HATe when people like you make generalizatons about my country and spout the Anti American drivel that spews forth in your posts.

Your hate of America is clear. I am just happy that where ever you are from, the majority of the people and clearly your govenrment does not have your myopic view of my country.

Hate the politics not the people or the country as a whole. Grow up. BTW, not all Americans supported the Bush line for going to war in Iraq, but we whole heartedly support our troops the honorable defenders of the free world. Rest assured where ever you are, your freedom and security is intertwined with America/Americans like it or not. In addition your polititians share the same bed as Bush no doubt about it.

Continue on with your America bashing. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Message Edited on 09/30/0304:35PM by BlackPhenix

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 12:47 AM
Boandlgramer wrote:
-- what was a good hollywood movie in your opinion ?
-- historical accurate ?
--
yeah "Tora, Tora, Tora", "A Bridge to Far", "Enemy at the Gates (although I heard Major Konig probably didn't exist and Vassili's score may have been a bit exagerated by the truthfull commies").
Also what about the "Memphis Belle" and "Patton".
All bloody good films and almost all historically accurate.
I bet there are loads more.

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 01:52 AM
Stop bashing about bashing Hollywood.

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 03:22 AM
Were there any inaccuracies in "Midway"? It was the first airplane movies I ever saw.

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 05:02 AM
I want a Das Boot movie amde for the Luftwaffe.

It could be called Die Staffel or das Jagdgeschwader.

Not done by hollywood since look what they did in enemy at the gates, and most WW2 movie flicks, the majority are garbage.

probably some independent Euro company either British or German will be able to portray it in the lives of the pilots themselves and not put political BS in the movie.

Glasses-"I may have four eyes but you only have one wing"

"Kurt Tank is your daddy"

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 06:17 AM
"enemy at the gates" wasn´t a hollywood movie,
and " a bridge too far " was a international- cooperation.

"tora tora tora" was very good, that´s right.

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 09:07 AM
I have no doubt that weapons of mass destruction WILL be found. If there arent any,no problem,the CIA will conveniently plant some to save Bush babies face!
And I was born in Nevada.

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 09:52 AM
BlackPhenix wrote:

- Hate the politics not the people or the country as a
- whole. Grow up. BTW, not all Americans supported the
- Bush line for going to war in Iraq, but we whole
- heartedly support our troops the honorable defenders
- of the free world. Rest assured where ever you are,
- your freedom and security is intertwined with
- America/Americans like it or not. In addition your
- polititians share the same bed as Bush no doubt
- about it.

hmmm, you know what my Grandfather said when I asked him why they followed Hitler to Stalingrad ? He said......"we whole heartedly support our troops the honorable defenders of the free world !" And "BTW, not all Germans supported the Hitler line going to Stalingrad...."

Don't get me wrong, its not my intention to compare, but its always a question of the point of view /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

The winners rule the moral and Hollywood is the "honorable defender" of the moral.They don't give a sh*t for the truth or historical facts. What for, it's entertainment and we should be able to make the difference !

But, talking about my Grandfather; he did not believe that the Holocaust really took place. He always said "Another scary jewish movie from Hollywood. Who should believe in that trash"

A nightmare, isn't it ?

Black Hussar

www.stukageschwader2.de (http://www.stukageschwader2.de)

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 10:14 AM
Feck Hollywood and Feck the USA.

In fact...Feck off from the face of this earth (probably will actually happen!).

You need to stand back and take a long look at how your mouth and actions could possibly (God Forbid!) affect/upset people from other nations.

Tinky

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 10:17 AM
sandbag_69 wrote:
- accuracy.
- machine.
- And all that fuss about Saving Private Ryan not
- having British or Canadian's in it ...well why
- should it, it was a film about a squad of U.S.
- soldiers not how the D-Day campaign was fought.
-
- It's about time us Brits stood up and moaned at the
- BBC, ITV and BFI and the rest and demanded
- historical films/Series taht should the true
- fighting spirit of the British and British Empire
- troops.
-
- God Bless em each and every one, and God save the
- USA for without her, we would have a darker world
- today.

Lol nice one, you caught loads with that one, obviously not too many here no what it means to be sandbagged.

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 11:50 AM
Tinky_Winky wrote:
- Feck Hollywood and Feck the USA.
-
- In fact...Feck off from the face of this earth
- (probably will actually happen!).
-
- You need to stand back and take a long look at how
- your mouth and actions could possibly (God Forbid!)
- affect/upset people from other nations.
-
-
-
- Tinky

Uhhh, maybe you should heed your own advice, you frickin moron!

Maybe from now on everyone should write which country they are from so we can see how sanctified they are?

Aristotle

Message Edited on 10/01/0310:54AM by rhett69

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 05:20 PM
Before bashing Hollywood movies, it's important to think of how they get created. Let's consider a WWII movie, and a bunch of guys trying to "get it right". They got their story, and now they have to get money. Anything you're doing with historical battles is destined to be a big budget production, so you need a LOT of money. You often have to get not just one, but several very rich producers to help you out. It's a stressful, frustrating search to get even the SECRETARY of a producer to pay attention to you.

Now you're a producer with some of that money. You don't know squat about WWII, but you do know about investing (I mean, how the heck did you get rich in the first place?) You read this script from a bunch of WWII geeks (if it was lucky enough to make it to your desk) and the first thing you ask is... will it make my 100 *million* dollars back? Think of that amount of money! Wouldn't YOU get nervous tossing 100 *million* dollars at a bunch of WWII geeks? I mean, how many people need to see this movie to turn a profit? Well, for that sum of money you need MASS appeal. If only the WWII nerds like it, you're just screwed. No, you need LARGE numbers of people to like it: not just history buffs, not even educated adult males, but mass numbers: woman, elderly, totally ignorant morons who just want to see Arnold kick butt, you name it... you need a lot more than a few fans to like it or you're going to end up like the poor guys who financed "Tora Tora Tora". It's got to have broad appeal... maybe a famous actor or director, perhaps some romance to draw women in, and some butt kicking to draw the idiots in. It's got to be understandable by everyone and, above all, not boring, even to those with no education and no attention span.

Now you're the poor WWII geeks who submitted the script. You're completely appalled when you see what kinds of changes they're demanding (umm... I think it's called "creative input"). One producer wants a chick flick angle. Another says there needs to be an American hero who does some "butt kicking". Another producer doesn't think it will sell unless there's a black character. Another producer says it's too convoluted. Another complains there's too many characters. And they ALL complain that it's very dry: the characters are boring (your history book only says what they've done, not what they were like). Finally, they want you to get some major star power in the movie, and the 50 million to pay for them. You can't just say "forget you" and drop them, because even with all these producers you STILL don't have enough money to make your movie. So, you start negotiating: what about a German hero who just *acts* American? What if I make the hero a woman? How about I take these three characters and squash them into one? Maybe I have to replace the whole thing about supply problems with a simpler explanation? Oh, by the way, I have to cut a crucial battle scene... I just don't have the money!

If you're lucky, you get actors with star power. They could care less about WWII... they want an interesting script with good personalities. They refuse the project if they're just going to be faceless people with no personality. Your history book has only sketchy information on personalities. Well, alter the history book or this star is leaving. Oh, did I forget to mention that they need to have a love interest? I don't care if it isn't in the history book...!

You get the idea. I think the best chance of accurate WWII movies are ones where the WWII buff is filthy rich and knows a LOT about drama, a rare combination indeed.

Finally, take a look at the big war movies, not in terms of whether WWII buffs like them, but in terms of box office receipts. Which ones were good investments? To the powers that be, that ultimately is all that matters. They have the money and they could care less what we think.

P.S: Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I think Steven Spielberg is the only one who knows art, can produce a film without other producers, has the star power, and is dedicated to accurate WWII history. He is our best chance of proving that historically responsible films can be both good art and viable investments.

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 06:29 PM
sandbag_69 wrote:
- accuracy.
- machine.
- And all that fuss about Saving Private Ryan not
- having British or Canadian's in it ...well why
- should it, it was a film about a squad of U.S.
- soldiers not how the D-Day campaign was fought.
-
- It's about time us Brits stood up and moaned at the
- BBC, ITV and BFI and the rest and demanded
- historical films/Series taht should the true
- fighting spirit of the British and British Empire
- troops.
-
- God Bless em each and every one, and God save the
- USA for without her, we would have a darker world
- today.
-
-
You do speak a load of codswallop,we in the UK do understand our history,well alot of us,we don't need the USA and Hollywood to tell us the lies thank you

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 06:50 PM
sightreader wrote:
-
-
- P.S: Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I think Steven
- Spielberg is the only one who knows art, can produce
- a film without other producers, has the star power,
- and is dedicated to accurate WWII history. He is
- our best chance of proving that historically
- responsible films can be both good art and viable
- investments.
-
-

One of the very few indeed! He is very good at making movies. always great plot, great characters and is not biased in a very obvious way.

measured to you again.

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 07:08 PM
trumper wrote:
-
-
- You do speak a load of codswallop,we in the UK do
- understand our history,well alot of us,we don't need
- the USA and Hollywood to tell us the lies thank you
-
Thank you for your intelligent input!

I doubt even 1% of the UK public knew of HMS Aubretia and HMS Bulldog's role in capturing the Enigma codes until U-571 came out and a lot of fuss was created in the News about it.

Hollywood doesn't tell lies about the war, it doesn't announce that a film is the true events , it merely makes film for entertainment based on events.

If Hollywood announced that U-571 was the real story of how the USA captured the Enigma machine then I would have been appalled but it didn't. So I took the film for what it was pure action and adventure nothing more nothing less.

-
-

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 07:13 PM
sightreader wrote:
- Before bashing Hollywood movies, it's important to
- think of how they get created. Let's consider a
- WWII movie, and a bunch of guys trying to "get it
- right". They got their story, and now they have to
- get money. Anything you're doing with historical
- battles is destined to be a big budget production,
- so you need a LOT of money. You often have to get
- not just one, but several very rich producers to
- help you out. It's a stressful, frustrating search
- to get even the SECRETARY of a producer to pay
- attention to you.
-
- Now you're a producer with some of that money. You
- don't know squat about WWII, but you do know about
- investing (I mean, how the heck did you get rich in
- the first place?) You read this script from a bunch
- of WWII geeks (if it was lucky enough to make it to
- your desk) and the first thing you ask is... will it
- make my 100 *million* dollars back? Think of that
- amount of money! Wouldn't YOU get nervous tossing
- 100 *million* dollars at a bunch of WWII geeks? I
- mean, how many people need to see this movie to turn
- a profit? Well, for that sum of money you need MASS
- appeal. If only the WWII nerds like it, you're just
- screwed. No, you need LARGE numbers of people to
- like it: not just history buffs, not even educated
- adult males, but mass numbers: woman, elderly,
- totally ignorant morons who just want to see Arnold
- kick butt, you name it... you need a lot more than a
- few fans to like it or you're going to end up like
- the poor guys who financed "Tora Tora Tora". It's
- got to have broad appeal... maybe a famous actor or
- director, perhaps some romance to draw women in, and
- some butt kicking to draw the idiots in. It's got
- to be understandable by everyone and, above all, not
- boring, even to those with no education and no
- attention span.
-
- Now you're the poor WWII geeks who submitted the
- script. You're completely appalled when you see
- what kinds of changes they're demanding (umm... I
- think it's called "creative input"). One producer
- wants a chick flick angle. Another says there needs
- to be an American hero who does some "butt kicking".
- Another producer doesn't think it will sell unless
- there's a black character. Another producer says
- it's too convoluted. Another complains there's too
- many characters. And they ALL complain that it's
- very dry: the characters are boring (your history
- book only says what they've done, not what they were
- like). Finally, they want you to get some major
- star power in the movie, and the 50 million to pay
- for them. You can't just say "forget you" and drop
- them, because even with all these producers you
- STILL don't have enough money to make your movie.
- So, you start negotiating: what about a German hero
- who just *acts* American? What if I make the hero a
- woman? How about I take these three characters and
- squash them into one? Maybe I have to replace the
- whole thing about supply problems with a simpler
- explanation? Oh, by the way, I have to cut a
- crucial battle scene... I just don't have the money!
-
-
- If you're lucky, you get actors with star power.
- They could care less about WWII... they want an
- interesting script with good personalities. They
- refuse the project if they're just going to be
- faceless people with no personality. Your history
- book has only sketchy information on personalities.
- Well, alter the history book or this star is
- leaving. Oh, did I forget to mention that they need
- to have a love interest? I don't care if it isn't
- in the history book...!
-
- You get the idea. I think the best chance of
- accurate WWII movies are ones where the WWII buff is
- filthy rich and knows a LOT about drama, a rare
- combination indeed.
-
- Finally, take a look at the big war movies, not in
- terms of whether WWII buffs like them, but in terms
- of box office receipts. Which ones were good
- investments? To the powers that be, that ultimately
- is all that matters. They have the money and they
- could care less what we think.
-
- P.S: Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I think Steven
- Spielberg is the only one who knows art, can produce
- a film without other producers, has the star power,
- and is dedicated to accurate WWII history. He is
- our best chance of proving that historically
- responsible films can be both good art and viable
- investments.
-
-

Great post Sightreader!! Well written by someone who knows what they are talking about unlike some of the Hollywood bashers on here.

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 08:18 PM
sandbag_69 wrote:
-
-
- Great post Sightreader!! Well written by someone
- who knows what they are talking about unlike some of
- the Hollywood bashers on here.
-
-

(blushes) ummm.. uhh... thanks... (ahem). I'm not some sort of Hollywood insider or anything. Just go to the screenwriter's newsgroup and read people's experiences as their dreams crumble. You don't have to be an insider to quickly appreciate the logic at work.

I guess the important thing is to remember is that making even a SINGLE movie is much like starting your own restaurant. Even something like "The Blair Witch Project" is way beyond most people's means to finance without investors. This is why, above all, movies ARE a business. Not an art form. Not a history statement. Not a cultural resource. Yes, all these things are important in film, but they take second place. Those who fail to recognize this don't get their movies done.

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 08:30 PM
Platypus_1.JaVA wrote:
--
-
- One of the very few indeed! He is very good at
- making movies. always great plot, great characters
- and is not biased in a very obvious way.
-

I'm glad you, at least, agree (I'm sure many here don't). I think "Saving Private Ryan" made great strides in showing producers that reasonably faithful war films can be commercially viable, while showing artists some techniques for maintaining drama without losing historical accuracy.

Unfortunately, I don't think "Band of Brothers" did nearly as well as HBO needed it to do, due to the fact that it's opening week was September 11, 2001. I'm concerned other producers will look at that and shy away from big budget war movies...

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 12:52 AM
StG2_Hussar wrote:
- BlackPhenix wrote:
-- Hate the politics not the people or the country as a
-- whole. Grow up. BTW, not all Americans supported the
-- Bush line for going to war in Iraq, but we whole
-- heartedly support our troops the honorable defenders
-- of the free world. Rest assured where ever you are,
-- your freedom and security is intertwined with
-- America/Americans like it or not. In addition your
-- polititians share the same bed as Bush no doubt
-- about it.
-
-
- hmmm, you know what my Grandfather said when I asked
- him why they followed Hitler to Stalingrad ? He
- said......"we whole heartedly support our troops the
- honorable defenders of the free world !" And "BTW,
- not all Germans supported the Hitler line going to
- Stalingrad...."
-
- Don't get me wrong, its not my intention to compare,
- but its always a question of the point of view
------------------------------

BS. That is a DIRECT comparsion. Stand up for what you have written. BTW, how was it that your Grandfather both 'followed' Hitler into Stalingrad AND whole heartedly supported the troops the honorable defenders of the free world"??? Not sure if your Grandfather was a solider or not???

----------------------------
- The winners rule the moral and Hollywood is the
- "honorable defender" of the moral.They don't give a
- sh*t for the truth or historical facts. What for,
- it's entertainment and we should be able to make the
- difference !

Re-read "MY" posts, they have nothing to do with defending/debating the morality of Hollywood.
-----------------------------

- But, talking about my Grandfather; he did not
- believe that the Holocaust really took place. He
- always said "Another scary jewish movie from
- Hollywood. Who should believe in that trash"
-
- A nightmare, isn't it ?
-

No not for me. It was for the people and the families of the people that were killed by Hitler and the Nazi's during the Holocaust. Not sure if your Grandfather was a Nazi or not???
------------

Next time you choose me as your subject, try to be a little more accurate about what "I" am talking about. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 01:00 AM

hahaha,what a joke,funny guy.

After it was refeuled i climbed in.With many manipulations the mechcanics started the turbines.I followed their actions with the greatest of interest.The first one started quite easily.the second caught fire.In no time the whole engine was on fire.Luckily as a fighter pilot i was used to getting quickly out of the cockpit.The fire was quickly put out.The second plane caused no trouble - Adolf Galland (first time in a ME262)

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 01:43 AM
sightreader wrote:

- Unfortunately, I don't think "Band of Brothers" did
- nearly as well as HBO needed it to do, due to the
- fact that it's opening week was September 11, 2001.
- I'm concerned other producers will look at that and
- shy away from big budget war movies...

"Band of Brothers" did just fine, considering it was not theatrically released nor ever intended to be. It has constantly appeared on various HBO channels and will rotate in broadcast virtually forever, was rebroadcast on the Beeb, and has sold untold numbers of DVD box sets in America and abroad. In fact, Band of Brothers did so well a Pacific oriented companion series spearheaded by Spielberg/Hanks is in the treatment stage as I write this.

http://hollywoodreporter.com/thr/search/search_results.jsp?text=band+of+brothers&simpleSearchButton=submit&simpleSearch=true&sortByDate=on

Message Edited on 10/01/0305:51PM by NavyFlyer

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 05:40 AM
The truth is hollywood should have had the characters are British if they wanted to potray BOB.Potraying americans in a movie about a great battle which was won by the British against overwhelming odds is very very idiotic.
And please lets not turn this into a world vs america thingy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/stg77/webpagegraphics/ju87c.jpg

JU87B2 of II/St.G77 , Smolensk July 1941

Stukageschwader77 soon divebombing an airbase near you.

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 08:46 AM
-- BlackPhenix wrote:

--- Hate the politics not the people or the country as a
--- whole. Grow up. BTW, not all Americans supported the
--- Bush line for going to war in Iraq, but we whole
--- heartedly support our troops the honorable defenders
--- of the free world. Rest assured where ever you are,
--- your freedom and security is intertwined with
--- America/Americans like it or not. In addition your
--- polititians share the same bed as Bush no doubt
--- about it.
--
--
-- hmmm, you know what my Grandfather said when I asked
-- him why they followed Hitler to Stalingrad ? He
-- said......"we whole heartedly support our troops the
-- honorable defenders of the free world !" And "BTW,
-- not all Germans supported the Hitler line going to
-- Stalingrad...."
--
-- Don't get me wrong, its not my intention to compare,
-- but its always a question of the point of view
-------------------------------
-
- BS. That is a DIRECT comparsion. Stand up for what
- you have written. BTW, how was it that your
- Grandfather both 'followed' Hitler into Stalingrad
- AND whole heartedly supported the troops the
- honorable defenders of the free world"??? Not sure
- if your Grandfather was a solider or not???
-
-----------------------------
-- The winners rule the moral and Hollywood is the
-- "honorable defender" of the moral.They don't give a
-- sh*t for the truth or historical facts. What for,
-- it's entertainment and we should be able to make the
-- difference !
-
- Re-read "MY" posts, they have nothing to do with
- defending/debating the morality of Hollywood.
------------------------------
-
-- But, talking about my Grandfather; he did not
-- believe that the Holocaust really took place. He
-- always said "Another scary jewish movie from
-- Hollywood. Who should believe in that trash"
--
-- A nightmare, isn't it ?
--
-
- No not for me. It was for the people and the
- families of the people that were killed by Hitler
- and the Nazi's during the Holocaust. Not sure if
- your Grandfather was a Nazi or not???
-------------
-
- Next time you choose me as your subject, try to be a
- little more accurate about what "I" am talking

LOL, so please read this message carefully and start thinking before writing such a BS !

- BS. That is a DIRECT comparsion. Stand up for what
- you have written. BTW, how was it that your
- Grandfather both 'followed' Hitler into Stalingrad
- AND whole heartedly supported the troops the
- honorable defenders of the free world"??? Not sure
- if your Grandfather was a solider or not???

You completly ignored my words saying that its not my intention to compare, but its always a question of the point of view. Many of the german soldiers were convinced that they are the true "honorable defenders of the free world" Next to this they were told and convinced to be on a mission to save christian religion and civilizied world...

So, from their point of view they did the right thing, at the right time ! Today we know it was a crime, but if Germany would have succeeded in WWII they would be heros, and Hollywood would be in Babelsberg, about 10 miles away from Berlin..........

What I wanna say, America succeded in Iraq...and the winners rule http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BTW, my grandfather was 22 when he surrendered at Stalingrad. He was captured and returned back to Germany in 1955, He lost his right arm, his youth, 12 years of his live, his innocence and he never revovered from what he saw and made through.

- Re-read "MY" posts, they have nothing to do with
- defending/debating the morality of Hollywood.

You're right, but please read my message carefully ! This is my opinion,

- No not for me. It was for the people and the
- families of the people that were killed by Hitler
- and the Nazi's during the Holocaust. Not sure if
- your Grandfather was a Nazi or not???

Again, read my message carefully ! For me it is a nightmare that my Grandfather thought that the Holocaust was the biggest Hollywood production ever. He strictly denied to accept that this really happend as he saw to many Hollywood productions before he died. As for your question, he was a NAZI and this was the other reason why he did not believe in the Holocaust....

IN MY OPINION (pls note!!) Hollywood is obliged to care for the truth and facts as their, often cheap and historical incorrect productions blend generations !

Phoenix, many people believe what they see on TV or in a cinema ! That can't make the difference....

Well, you are the king of mixing it up ! So I need a Vodka/Martini now... Cheers http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 10:17 AM
sandbag_69 wrote:
-
- trumper wrote:
--
--
-- You do speak a load of codswallop,we in the UK do
-- understand our history,well alot of us,we don't need
-- the USA and Hollywood to tell us the lies thank you
--
- Thank you for your intelligent input!
-
- I doubt even 1% of the UK public knew of HMS
- Aubretia and HMS Bulldog's role in capturing the
- Enigma codes until U-571 came out and a lot of fuss
- was created in the News about it.
-
- Hollywood doesn't tell lies about the war, it
- doesn't announce that a film is the true events , it
- merely makes film for entertainment based on events.
-
- If Hollywood announced that U-571 was the real story
- of how the USA captured the Enigma machine then I
- would have been appalled but it didn't. So I took
- the film for what it was pure action and adventure
- nothing more nothing less.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I hate to point out the obvious but it is better to tell people what REALLY happened and not let Hollywood teach them something that did'nt happen.
Remember hollywood does'nt exactly say that the film they are making bears no resemblance to true actual events either,they did'nt put a big disclaimer alongside their advertisements to sell tickets did they.
--
------------------------------------------------------------
-
-
-
-
-

Message Edited on 10/02/0309:19AM by trumper

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 05:21 PM
NavyFlyer wrote:
-
- "Band of Brothers" did just fine, considering it was
- not theatrically released nor ever intended to be.
- It has constantly appeared on various HBO channels
- and will rotate in broadcast virtually forever, was
- rebroadcast on the Beeb, and has sold untold numbers
- of DVD box sets in America and abroad. In fact, Band
- of Brothers did so well a Pacific oriented companion
- series spearheaded by Spielberg/Hanks is in the
- treatment stage as I write this.
-

Whew, I'm glad to hear that. Do you think it did well enough to inspire more efforts in that direction, or do you think most producers will find it too risky a venture?

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 06:17 PM
chill people, this forum is for discussion of IL2 related topics, history in general and even movies are ok to discuss, but ONLY if you can do it without descending into the usual nationalistic biased ***** festivals this forum is getting famous for

<p align="center">
<A HREF="http://mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm" TARGET=_blank>
Unofficial IL-2 Community FAQ</font></A>

<fontsize=2>Hunter82's Tech Pages (http://mudmovers.com/tech/tech_pages.htm)
Forgotten Battles Reality Check (http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_065a.html)
</font></p>