PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive Rewards..? Am I Missing Something?

XavieroftheWind
01-24-2017, 05:45 AM
I just realized that people who didn't get into this beta will get none of the exclusive rewards.

This would be 100% fine if this beta was not closed.

If you're lucky or a streamer you'll be able to enjoy the game and reap benefits.

With this, and the exclusivity of the SCARS site (and people chose not to use the workaround in the US just to wait for an actual invite and still won't get in because of it) I'm questioning who is making decisions like this which can only breed contempt as some players feel wronged or like the odds were stacked against them.

If the rewards end up being exclusive armor pieces or cosmetics I'll be quite salted.

Share your thoughts on this please.

TCTF_SWAT
01-24-2017, 05:47 AM
shrugs

iHunny
01-24-2017, 05:53 AM
If it where a temporary experience boost or something I would not care, a title or armor peice I would be a litle salty but meh, I miss out most of the time with the limited edition stuff anyho. And I missed out of the whole reward thing for US only stuff all the time so meh, whatever.

iHunny
01-24-2017, 05:55 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by missed out? I completed 75% of the activities like last week. It's still possible to acquire points.

Im missing out cos I am not american ^^

XavieroftheWind
01-24-2017, 05:56 AM
That's good to know. Still strikes me as a little odd. Typically these kinds of things are in open betas as a thank you for participating in the test.

Definitely could be worse. My trust in the people behind the game is a little shaken though. SCARS left a bad taste in my mouth.

I was thinking that maybe there was a mistake at some point and some predetemined beta winners outside of the US weren't given access?

Like as a way to make up for a hidden mistake of some sort you know?

AeraLure
01-24-2017, 06:02 AM
They're emblems. Not sure I really care about that. It's much more of an advantage to have had many hours head start in the game honing skills, but that's just the nature of betas. Nice too of course to be able to give input on the game - the point of a beta - but in this case, that was more for the alpha, given the beta is so late.

Scars was a little disappointing though - especially as I chose not to use a VPN and simply go to the site, leaving it for region-specific users - but hey, that was my choice. I think it would have been better to also have had a similar promotion/event in the US but, as I said in another topic, I've seen friends overseas left out of US-only promotions many times and felt it was unfair for them. That's just the nature of having multi-regional marketing departments.

XavieroftheWind
01-24-2017, 06:14 AM
They're emblems. Not sure I really care about that. It's much more of an advantage to have had many hours head start in the game honing skills, but that's just the nature of betas. Nice too of course to be able to give input on the game - the point of a beta - but in this case, that was more for the alpha, given the beta is so late.

Scars was a little disappointing though - especially as I chose not to use a VPN and simply go to the site, leaving it for region-specific users - but hey, that was my choice. I think it would have been better to also have had a similar promotion/event in the US but, as I said in another topic, I've seen friends overseas left out of US-only promotions many times and felt it was unfair for them. That's just the nature of having multi-regional marketing departments.

That must feel pretty bad missing out even though you had the option.

Some would say its the more honorable route to take. Though having you running around as someone who would contribute to the community and post couldn't have possibly been bad..

Feb. 14 it is.

AeraLure
01-24-2017, 06:26 AM
That must feel pretty bad missing out even though you had the option.

Some would say its the more honorable route to take. Though having you running around as someone who would contribute to the community and post couldn't have possibly been bad..

Feb. 14 it is.

It's all good. I'll probably suck at the game anyway. XD And Feb 15th. I mean, it's Valentine's Day. I'll either be depressed, or not, but likely not gaming. ;)

XavieroftheWind
01-24-2017, 06:31 AM
It's all good. I'll probably suck at the game anyway. XD And Feb 15th. I mean, it's Valentine's Day. I'll either be depressed, or not, but likely not gaming. ;)

Oh **** XD Well that's pretty not-so-good bud. What system are you registered for?

AeraLure
01-24-2017, 06:43 AM
Oh **** XD Well that's pretty not-so-good bud. What system are you registered for?

No worries. It's... a long story. XD

PS4

xLeapingLizardx
01-24-2017, 06:51 AM
In my honest opinion, there is too much entitlement going on... Whether they want to do a closed beta, open beta or rewards, no rewards, or for a specific region or not that is up to them.
I don't mind because I know I'll be able to play Feb. 14... If I miss out on rewards (Which I'm not) I wouldn't care because it'll likely be some things that would be cool at first but not kept for long.

The SCARS thing did not phase me. Just because I live in NA doesn't mean I should be able to participate in everything no matter what.
Also this whole conspiracy thing about they are mostly giving access to streamers and YouTubers is just kind of silly and has no evidence to really back that up.

Anyways that's just my honest opinion. I am not saying you guys don't have a right to be upset, again, I am just putting my opinion out there. all of these things: Beta's, Alpha's, SCARS, rewards are all free things that we have not paid for so to think we are entitled to them is just trivial.

XavieroftheWind
01-24-2017, 08:00 AM
In my honest opinion, there is too much entitlement going on... Whether they want to do a closed beta, open beta or rewards, no rewards, or for a specific region or not that is up to them.
I don't mind because I know I'll be able to play Feb. 14... If I miss out on rewards (Which I'm not) I wouldn't care because it'll likely be some things that would be cool at first but not kept for long.

The SCARS thing did not phase me. Just because I live in NA doesn't mean I should be able to participate in everything no matter what.
Also this whole conspiracy thing about they are mostly giving access to streamers and YouTubers is just kind of silly and has no evidence to really back that up.

Anyways that's just my honest opinion. I am not saying you guys don't have a right to be upset, again, I am just putting my opinion out there. all of these things: Beta's, Alpha's, SCARS, rewards are all free things that we have not paid for so to think we are entitled to them is just trivial.

I'm speaking more for all cases of people not getting access to something just because of a region-lock (None US couldn't get activity points and products for that) because it is bad for publicity reasons.

I find it questionable as it makes them look bad and looking bad could have been avoided. In fact, it all could have been handled in a way that made them look good.

Also, this particular beta to me is strange because it is so close to launch and not open. Having it open would expose the game to more people who will in turn, purchase it. Unless they're really worried about something in the game that would lead to bad publicity. (Which is a spooky thought considering how close to launch we are)

Looking at open betas from many other games such as Gears or Halo Wars 2 (which had a buggy honest beta the first time around) for instance, there is a lot to be gained in feedback and community building.

I see a lot of "entitled" comments being thrown around at people who are upset.
If you ask me, it is silly that they DID NOT give people who preordered Gold or Higher beta access because that would have led to more Gold or Higher game sales. It's just easy money at that point.

The amount of money spent on a game that one is passionate about is indicative of how much feedback they would provide during testing as they are more invested. They might have even had a different selection of star players had they prioritized their selection of testers.

It is often said that we should vote with our wallets, and it's up to the company to persuade us to vote as much and as quickly as possible. From what I've seen, there has been a missed opportunity or two to make themselves look great to the community and earn quite a few extra bucks from people eager to beta test.

Just thought I'd share some of my own insight on the matter to clear things up. Sorry for the long read.

xLeapingLizardx
01-24-2017, 11:15 AM
I'm speaking more for all cases of people not getting access to something just because of a region-lock (None US couldn't get activity points and products for that) because it is bad for publicity reasons.

I find it questionable as it makes them look bad and looking bad could have been avoided. In fact, it all could have been handled in a way that made them look good.

Also, this particular beta to me is strange because it is so close to launch and not open. Having it open would expose the game to more people who will in turn, purchase it. Unless they're really worried about something in the game that would lead to bad publicity. (Which is a spooky thought considering how close to launch we are)

Looking at open betas from many other games such as Gears or Halo Wars 2 (which had a buggy honest beta the first time around) for instance, there is a lot to be gained in feedback and community building.

I see a lot of "entitled" comments being thrown around at people who are upset.
If you ask me, it is silly that they DID NOT give people who preordered Gold or Higher beta access because that would have led to more Gold or Higher game sales. It's just easy money at that point.

The amount of money spent on a game that one is passionate about is indicative of how much feedback they would provide during testing as they are more invested. They might have even had a different selection of star players had they prioritized their selection of testers.

It is often said that we should vote with our wallets, and it's up to the company to persuade us to vote as much and as quickly as possible. From what I've seen, there has been a missed opportunity or two to make themselves look great to the community and earn quite a few extra bucks from people eager to beta test.

Just thought I'd share some of my own insight on the matter to clear things up. Sorry for the long read.

You make some good points about the SCARS region lock.
But maybe the intentions were for most everyone else to get a key through SCARS so that when the email keys began to be sent out they could target NA a bit more since other regions likely got their code through SCARS. On the other hand they could have had SCARS be open to all regions and in doing so they would of likely had a smaller amount of keys to be had from SCARS. (Reason being because if it was unlimited, it would basically turn into an open beta). This would result to when they start sending out keys they wouldn't necessarily know what regions got more keys and which didn't. So with the way they've done it, it seems they know where to target a lot of their emailed beta keys.

What I am saying is mostly just a random theory though. I guess I am just kind of giving them the benefit of the doubt in that aspect. But I do agree with you in that making SCARS open would have easily resulted in a better look for them and a happier community.

I also agree that the timing of this beta is quite weird lol.. Maybe they'll still have an open beta? There was some recent game that I believe had an open beta a week before the release... It may have been the Division, cant really remember though.

Another great point about Pre-order beta access. I am also surprised they didn't go that direction.

That makes a lot of sense and I've never really thought about it like that before..

All in all, I agree with most of what you are saying. I appreciate your response. It gave me a different and understandable perspective.

Reinborn
01-25-2017, 12:50 PM
I'm genuinely fine with giving out rewards to players who were with the game since it was announced, registered for alphas and betas, participated in any way they could. However, in my view, there should be no rewards connected to closed alpha and beta. Whether it is an actual piece of equipment or just a symbol. Definitely do hand out rewards to participants of open alphas and/or betas.

In the end, I don't mind the way it is now as long as these rewards won't be incorporated into the Uplay's rewards tab just like The Division does it with its 2 beta and alpha rewards - jacket and cap. I really wanted to get that game almost a year after its release only to find out that I wouldn't be able to unlock these 2 rewards. It all comes down to me really hating being locked out of something and being forced to be reminded of the fact that I only have, for example, 8/10 rewards :p
I've only been able to get into For Honor's closed beta, even though I've been following the game's news since it was announced but never managed to play it, so I would be really saddened if there were Uplay rewards related to alphas or betas that would be displayed in the tab, as I mentioned above.

We're all gonna miss some rewards, whether it is US citizens not joining either alpha or beta while having access to the US-exclusive rewards, or people living outside of US, that would participate in anything they could but wouldn't get rewards related to region-lock.