PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Start.

ForBoo
01-24-2017, 04:45 AM
So basically i'm sure most of you have already figured out if you are going to be a part of the CB or not. IMO this is a horrible start to a community, only handing out a select few CB keys and then rewarding those players for the handout seems a little wrong to me. Knowing what I've learned over the course of my "gaming life" Ubisoft most likely handed out most of the keys to the popular Streamers on youtube and twitch in order to get the game more publicity and hype, but i fear this is why most of the communities us gamers inhabit are "toxic". After the CB is over and we have all logged on to this great game we will be side to side with the beta players and notice that even though we attempted and did everything correctly to get into the beta we were not popular enough to get the handout.

This also causes toxicity in the community kinda dividing Beta and Non-Beta players which then causes jealousy, allowing the Beta players to kinda "Stand on-top" of the people who are just logging into the game. I understand life is not fair and things happen because of a marketing standpoint, however i fail to see where, if any extra revenue will be absorbed because of the lack of CB keys sent out. Ubisoft would've made a lot more by allowing everyone who had pre-purchased the game be able to access the closed beta and the rewards that come with it, or maybe even allowing it to be an open beta where everyone has the chance to play.

Anyways, thanks for reading :P

AeraLure
01-24-2017, 04:47 AM
I agree with you that that would have been really nice. In the end though it does come down to how large they want the beta to be, and how best to further market the game. YouTube channels do indeed do a lot for them. Was nice to have a shot at it though and I do appreciate that.

ForBoo
01-24-2017, 05:17 AM
it's the first day of them giving out codes... a bit early to be making any calls yet.

If you contact customer support they will tell you if your account will have access to the Beta or not. This is because the accounts that are going to have access to the Beta have already been pre-determined.

AeraLure
01-24-2017, 05:20 AM
If you contact customer support they will tell you if your account will have access to the Beta or not. This is because the accounts that are going to have access to the Beta have already been pre-determined.

That's... kind of strange. Not that the accounts that will have access are already determined, but that they A) cannot simply email everyone at once and B) will nonetheless tell you if you contact them via another means. Not a criticism. Just an observation. It's just I can see where it creates a little panic and frenzy.

Eirmund
01-24-2017, 05:28 AM
I'm not hating on people from other countries, and don't give me any "Oh, well, we're always excluded. How do you like it?" because that's kid crap.

But I think a big problem is having a place where people where allowed to get guaranteed codes. Especially since they only wanted to have a certain amount of people. This would be fine if everyone had a shot at those codes, but they didn't. Some place, primarily the US from what I understand, got excluded, so our chances were low. It's complete bull, but whatever I guess.

XavieroftheWind
01-24-2017, 06:07 AM
I think it is very questionable too. The focus seems to be on maintaining a streaming population as a way to keep the game advertised in a way.

Easy to feel like you can't trust them to actually maintain a healthy community.

Considering the lack of servers, I'm confused as to why this beta wasn't open. They must not be confident. Open betas generate a lot more hype and get people addicted.

Game is right around the corner and there's already been signs of content cutting (split-screen) to meet the deadline.. not to mention the missing classes that need rebalanced.

Umngyr
01-24-2017, 09:21 AM
Honestly, i think that "division" only exists because people create it in their minds.

First off, the "reward" for being in the beta, is likely going to be completely inconsequential. We're probably talking an emblem, or a color scheme, or something like that. All it'll basically be is an identifier that says "i'm a lucky bastards".

Second off, while Ubisoft probably gave out keys to the more prominent youtube celebrities who had an interest, and gave out review copies, that's a necessary part of marketing. If they want the game to succeed, and if you want the game to succeed, you have to get the word out. Also, that number is going to be relatively small compared to the total beta population, so it's not like anyone is "cheated" out of a code just because they're giving out publicity codes.

Thirdly, the US has its own reward programs for "for honor" too that are US exclusive. Besides, why is the first idea that springs into peoples head that "it's excluded from the US because they hate us." there's plenty of practical reasons why it could be EU only, one of them for example being that they want an extra volume of EU players in order to evaluate regional network stability.

Fourthly. You were unlucky and didn't get a code. DEAL WITH IT. I'm super hyped for "For Honor" but if i hadn't gotten a code, it's not like i would've started whining about it on the forum and calling favoritism. I mean why SHOULD you get a code? statistically there's a bigger chance that you won't than that you will. Thinking you have some kind of right to get a code is just spoiled entitlement.

neogeo___
01-24-2017, 10:15 AM
Completely disagree, since you are arguing from a marketing and business stand point.

It's only smart for Ubisoft and all publishers to use known youtubers with a lot of subscribers in order to give the game projection and notoriety without have to spend considerable amounts of money to reach the same amount of ppl for a considerable shorter time span.
Ofc this is a 2 edged sword and youtubers (which some aren't even that reasonable, knowledgeable or use common sense) may give negative feedback that may influence some of their subscribers decision to either buy the game or not. But still all publicity is good publicity and with the initial hype this is unlikely to happen unless something is completely broken and even then we would be talking of a beta stage and not full release.
Also ppl that already pre ordered are guaranteed customers and from a business stand point what you'd like to do is bring more business in and in this case your target would be everyone else.
So, the strategy here is solid.

Secondly, and concerning the rest of your OP, there have always been alpha and beta tests, QA is fundamental for releasing a decent product that everyone else can enjoy and get into so I honestly don't get your point because this just makes no sense as an argument leading me to believe it's a pure rant for not having received your key yet thinking you were left out.

Thirdly, the toxicity actually stems from feelings of entitlement like the one you are demonstrating. Players that are hardly reasonable or self conscious, they never do no wrong and only lose thanks to their teammates performance. Even those that can be called good players but put in 8h a day into a game reach 10days worth of gameplay and expect normal people in random matchmaking lobbies to be at their lvl if not they flame and rage, bash and smash are just delusional and unreasonable. Unfortunately this kind of behavior is contagious and more and more millennial snowflakes adopt it to deal with their own frustration. I completely understand frustration playing with randos but I also recognize that flaming and treating others like trash (just because it's the internet and I can) won't actually help at all unless my goal is to come across as an Ahole.

Finally, and this is something I've argued before on this forum, to clear any possible feelings of injustice and to be actually fair I do think that access to this tests should be granted following the "First Come First Served" rule. I would argue in favor of people that have been following this game since the 2015E3 announcement, supporting it, talking about it on social media and with friends, creating demand and giving the game notoriety, if they were left out of all tests and someone that registered for the test a couple of days before it actually starts thanks to the Hype Train the others fueled or made a pre-order the day before (only to take it back since the law allows this to happen in the EU and was a known issue with The Division for example) got in.
This just doesn't make any sense to me.

Dez_troi_aR
01-24-2017, 01:30 PM
Completely disagree, since you are arguing from a marketing and business stand point.

It's only smart for Ubisoft and all publishers to use known youtubers with a lot of subscribers in order to give the game projection and notoriety without have to spend considerable amounts of money to reach the same amount of ppl for a considerable shorter time span.
Ofc this is a 2 edged sword and youtubers (which some aren't even that reasonable, knowledgeable or use common sense) may give negative feedback that may influence some of their subscribers decision to either buy the game or not. But still all publicity is good publicity and with the initial hype this is unlikely to happen unless something is completely broken and even then we would be talking of a beta stage and not full release.
Also ppl that already pre ordered are guaranteed customers and from a business stand point what you'd like to do is bring more business in and in this case your target would be everyone else.
So, the strategy here is solid.

Secondly, and concerning the rest of your OP, there have always been alpha and beta tests, QA is fundamental for releasing a decent product that everyone else can enjoy and get into so I honestly don't get your point because this just makes no sense as an argument leading me to believe it's a pure rant for not having received your key yet thinking you were left out.

Thirdly, the toxicity actually stems from feelings of entitlement like the one you are demonstrating. Players that are hardly reasonable or self conscious, they never do no wrong and only lose thanks to their teammates performance. Even those that can be called good players but put in 8h a day into a game reach 10days worth of gameplay and expect normal people in random matchmaking lobbies to be at their lvl if not they flame and rage, bash and smash are just delusional and unreasonable. Unfortunately this kind of behavior is contagious and more and more millennial snowflakes adopt it to deal with their own frustration. I completely understand frustration playing with randos but I also recognize that flaming and treating others like trash (just because it's the internet and I can) won't actually help at all unless my goal is to come across as an Ahole.

Finally, and this is something I've argued before on this forum, to clear any possible feelings of injustice and to be actually fair I do think that access to this tests should be granted following the "First Come First Served" rule. I would argue in favor of people that have been following this game since the 2015E3 announcement, supporting it, talking about it on social media and with friends, creating demand and giving the game notoriety, if they were left out of all tests and someone that registered for the test a couple of days before it actually starts thanks to the Hype Train the others fueled or made a pre-order the day before (only to take it back since the law allows this to happen in the EU and was a known issue with The Division for example) got in.
This just doesn't make any sense to me.

+1

After waiting for 1,5 years i am urgent to play the game in a test. But If someone gets jelaous and toxic because he can't play an unfinished game for 3 days, then that is not the fault of some evil marketing strategy. The game comes out on Feb14 and that is where everyone has free access to it, not before.

The only point i agree with the thread-starter is, that giving out a lot of super-nice beta exclusive rewards can cause unnecessary tension. But i cant see them doing that. So far its only some ok-looking emblems.

iHunny
01-24-2017, 01:49 PM
I think it might also be this is the last Beta "I think" and the game have been hyped up so people really whants to try it befor the releas. This the last chance and people feel frustrated they get picked by chanse, unknown chanse at best and that some seems to get a free pass cos of restrictions etc "Scars". Personaly, I do not yet know if I been picked, even tho I redemed a Scar code, but, I will not be to bummed out if left out "since the Valkyrie will not be in it". Litle salty and envy but think I can live with it. Been waiting for years for the title to get released and been super hyped for 6 months now, even so hyped I think I wasted alot of time andenergy just reading the forums ignoring other games cos For Honor is the game I want to play. I just glad were getting close to the releas date. Finaly the wait will be over.

ps. Please do not kill me by delaying the game... please!!!

ForBoo
01-24-2017, 03:43 PM
Honestly, i think that "division" only exists because people create it in their minds.

First off, the "reward" for being in the beta, is likely going to be completely inconsequential. We're probably talking an emblem, or a color scheme, or something like that. All it'll basically be is an identifier that says "i'm a lucky bastards".

Second off, while Ubisoft probably gave out keys to the more prominent youtube celebrities who had an interest, and gave out review copies, that's a necessary part of marketing. If they want the game to succeed, and if you want the game to succeed, you have to get the word out. Also, that number is going to be relatively small compared to the total beta population, so it's not like anyone is "cheated" out of a code just because they're giving out publicity codes.

Thirdly, the US has its own reward programs for "for honor" too that are US exclusive. Besides, why is the first idea that springs into peoples head that "it's excluded from the US because they hate us." there's plenty of practical reasons why it could be EU only, one of them for example being that they want an extra volume of EU players in order to evaluate regional network stability.

Fourthly. You were unlucky and didn't get a code. DEAL WITH IT. I'm super hyped for "For Honor" but if i hadn't gotten a code, it's not like i would've started whining about it on the forum and calling favoritism. I mean why SHOULD you get a code? statistically there's a bigger chance that you won't than that you will. Thinking you have some kind of right to get a code is just spoiled entitlement.

You got a code so your opinion is biased anyway :P if you had not of gotten a code you would be complaining with the rest of us.

Hand_of_Tyr
01-24-2017, 03:53 PM
I haven't gotten a beta code, and I think any whining about not getting into the beta is ludicrous. What difference does it make?

Umngyr
01-24-2017, 04:01 PM
No. no i would not. I've missed out on plenty of BETAs. I didn't complain then, i wouldn't complain now.

ForBoo
01-24-2017, 04:25 PM
People just wanna play.

This.

Hand_of_Tyr
01-24-2017, 04:59 PM
This.

I totally get that. Everybody wants to play. I want to play.

But if what we're worried about is the community getting toxic, we aren't going to help by getting salty over who did and did not get into the beta.

Heck, maybe I'm making things worse by complaining about the people complaining about not getting into the beta.

SALT-CEPTION.

kyl2084
01-24-2017, 05:19 PM
Sooo....who needs a PS4 code that's isn't crying I got a couple extra.

ForBoo
01-24-2017, 05:23 PM
Sooo....who needs a PS4 code that's isn't crying I got a couple extra.

"Who isn't crying" there is that sense of entitlement that this player is above people who didn't get lucky enough to get a code.

kyl2084
01-24-2017, 05:26 PM
No.just above crying about it.

ForBoo
01-24-2017, 05:28 PM
No.just above crying about it.

That is because you got a code... if you didn't you would be wondering why. If your looking to handout your codes there are plenty of players who have posted on this forum (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1552053-Closed-Beta-Invite-Request-Sharing) waiting and hoping to get in

DraxeI
01-24-2017, 05:34 PM
I don't think you have the correct perspective.
This has not been like the Overwatch tests where just about only streamers/youtubers and friends were invited.

Out of the perhaps hundreds of streamers and youtubers who have been allowed to test For Honor, there have been thousands of normal fans.
It's easy to feel like the content creators are the only ones who gets access, because they are generally the only ones you actually get to see playing.
And it seems like this test is going to be even bigger than the closed-alpha, which was the largest test in Ubisoft history. If you haven't received an invite yet, be patient. There are still two days until launch. It's likely that people here will be handing out invites themselves, and streamers may have received extra invites for their viewers.
Also keep an eye out for the official community streams Ubisoft may host as they did hand out codes there during the closed-alpha.

Understand that even though it feels like the "norm" these days is to have alphas/betas be more of a demo for the game, this is not really the case. The tests are for... testing.
Testing and providing feedback. In a way I think it's better to not be able to receive access by pre-ordering as this lets the developers get a diverse group of testers that they can choose themselves. Sometimes is good to get that guy who doesn't like the game to play and provide feedback.

For your last point about testers having an advantage at launch, it's only natural. It's not really any different from someone two weeks post-launch coming up against someone who started at launch.

ForBoo
01-24-2017, 05:44 PM
This has not been like the Overwatch tests where just about only streamers/youtubers and friends were invited.

Out of the perhaps hundreds of streamers and youtubers who have been allowed to test For Honor, there have been thousands of normal fans.
It's easy to feel like the content creators are the only ones who gets access, because they are generally the only ones you actually get to see playing.
And it seems like this test is going to be even bigger than the closed-alpha, which was the largest test in Ubisoft history. If you haven't received an invite yet, be patient. There are still two days until launch. It's likely that people here will be handing out invites themselves, and streamers may have received extra invites for their viewers.
Also keep an eye out for the official community streams Ubisoft may host as they did hand out codes there during the closed-alpha.

Understand that even though it feels like the "norm" these days is to have alphas/betas be more of a demo for the game, this is not really the case. The tests are for... testing.
Testing and providing feedback. In a way I think it's better to not be able to receive access by pre-ordering as this lets the developers get a diverse group of testers that they can choose themselves. Sometimes is good to get that guy who doesn't like the game to play and provide feedback.

For your last point about testers having an advantage at launch, it's only natural. It's not really any different from someone two weeks post-launch coming up against someone who started at launch.

My point is more revolving around the fact that Ubisoft is only allowing a certain amount of players in then rewarding those players who they determined should have access. Normal players beginning on the 14th who have supported the game and have attempted to gain access to the BETA, maybe even pre-purchasing the game will not be able to have these rewards based upon their popularity in the gaming community.

Umngyr
01-24-2017, 05:59 PM
I think the validity of that argument depends heavily on the actual value of said rewards. I mean if all we get are a troll doll emblem and a neon purple coat of paint, are you really gonna care that much?

DraxeI
01-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Okay. I see where you're coming from.

This can bit a bit of a conflicted topic because on one hand it feels bad for those who never got to play because they'll never receive the reward, but on the other hand the ones who did get selected will wish for some sort of recognition to their contributions to the game's development. You might say playing is the reward, but there is a lot of extra work when it comes to writing detailed feedback.

Remember that it's only a little emblem that you can put on your armor. Just a little nod of acknowledgement.
And I truly feel that with the amount of keys and invites flying around even before all the invites have been sent out, if you WANT to participate in this beta you CAN. But it will require you to actually take action and seek out an invitation.

And in a way, the pre-order bonuses you get can sort-of fall under the same situation. Not everyone is able to just buy the game on a whim, and as far as we know the pre-order bonuses won't be available again post-release.

vertigomonkey
01-24-2017, 06:15 PM
And I truly feel that with the amount of keys and invites flying around even before all the invites have been sent out, if you WANT to participate in this beta you CAN. But it will require you to actually take action and seek out an invitation.

^ This. I honestly think that when all is said and done, everyone that wants to give the game a try will be able to. It's labeled as a "closed" beta because you have to click a couple of links before you just download the client and log in. To me, this smells more of just trying to control and monitor the flow of testers instead of limiting the quantity of testers. And when the ultimate goal is to make sure things run smoothly for launch, I see no problem with that.

vertigomonkey
01-24-2017, 06:21 PM
Neon purple?! Hell yeah! Anything to break up the monotonous blue and orange!

Gimme that neon purple and an obnoxious gold, and I can be a Viking Viking that will make your eyes bleed!

http://s1.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/25-minnesota-vikings-viking-creepy-nfl-fans.jpg

UbiJurassic
01-25-2017, 02:58 AM
Gimme that neon purple and an obnoxious gold, and I can be a Viking Viking that will make your eyes bleed!

http://s1.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/25-minnesota-vikings-viking-creepy-nfl-fans.jpg

DEVS! make it happen!

ಠ_ಠ

Avlaen
01-25-2017, 06:45 AM
ive seen some green tabards/colour schemes in some footage. not sure about the gold though

XxKILLASEEDxX
01-25-2017, 11:14 AM
My only hope is that those of us fortunate enough to have received access to the CB provide enough footage and feedback to quench the thirst of those of us in the community who feel left out.

Havok_RSA
01-25-2017, 02:36 PM
My only hope is that those of us fortunate enough to have received access to the CB provide enough footage and feedback to quench the thirst of those of us in the community who feel left out.

Play around here .... and maybe ...just maybe.... ;)

http://scars.forhonorgame.com/

vertigomonkey
01-25-2017, 03:37 PM
ಠ_ಠ

I'm gonna take that as a hopeful possibility. :D but really, would love love some more color options. Like the green and gold used on the Knights logo!

I'm choosing to interpret that as a hopeful possibility as well .... I mean it wasn't an "absolutely not". :)

I'm not ashamed to use any advantage I can on the battlefield, even if it's an extremely obnoxious color scheme. Granted, it will probably make me the target for the entire enemy team, but if it keeps them away from the objectives, I'll still consider it a win! :cool:

Whatsun65
01-25-2017, 03:44 PM
Play around here .... and maybe ...just maybe.... ;)

http://scars.forhonorgame.com/

Hope he is not from the US. The scars program was region locked from US areas. :(

ShuyinVardiz
01-25-2017, 03:44 PM
Knowing what I've learned over the course of my "gaming life" Ubisoft most likely handed out most of the keys to the popular Streamers on youtube and twitch in order to get the game more publicity and hype

Of course I cant say anything for sure on any point for whatever here, but I am as sure as I can be without proove they didnt mostly invite youtuber's. The important, wide ranged streamers have already gained access via direct contact from ubisoft, not from Scars or Beta signing. For example the Ubisoft Starplayers or those who are shoutout as "faction generals" for which reason whatsoever besides beeing (big) streamers and thus have a wide range to reach players.
My impression so far is that the important streamers and youtuber are invited seperately and (partially) gain exclusive, additional access to For Honor to gain skill and represent the 'title' they recieved - like "faction general" or "Ubisoft Starplayer".

PS:
I dont think its unfair to give the limited amount of players that gained closed beta access either randomly or purposely choosen exclusive rewards. They will be nearly granted only visual stuff, most likely minor like the already announced ancestor emblem which will be totally useless as soon as they implement unlockable emblem parts beyond the campaign. At BEST they maybe recieve a free champion status week but even that is extremely unlikely as it would go towards an ACUTALL advantage.
Most pre-release event rewards are sweet, but useless the time you unlock a certain amount of activity ingame and by thus gain access to 'professional' items or choises ingame. A month after release I dont expect to see much of the beta reward visuals ingame anymore, maybe only a few if its a helmet ornament or a weapon blade visual. But whatever it may be, I guess at best it will look like a rare gear part, not an epic one. And the second you gain access to epic ones the rare parts probably loose their beauty instantly.
And before anyone asks, I have closed beta access since I recieved a key from Scars, but I am pretty sure I wouldnt think differently if I hadnt because I never complained in other games for players having alpha/beta avatars I never recieved.

XxKILLASEEDxX
01-25-2017, 09:51 PM
Hope he is not from the US. The scars program was region locked from US areas. :(

I'm actually from The US and some one was awesome enough to throw me a key. Setting up a YouTube channel atm, and looking into streaming as I've never done it b4. Any advice would be welcomed, I'm on XB1.

xLeapingLizardx
01-25-2017, 11:50 PM
I'm actually from The US and some one was awesome enough to throw me a key. Setting up a YouTube channel atm, and looking into streaming as I've never done it b4. Any advice would be welcomed, I'm on XB1.

For YouTube I'd just say do videos of pretty specific sections of the game. Just like you've been advocating others to do. I'm sure since you know what you wanted to see, you'll know what to make for others to see.

As for streaming, it is really easy to do on the Xbox One. If you aren't sure how, just a quick google search of how to will help. I'll also likely be streaming just to stream, because it's so easy lol.

Good luck with it and be sure to let us know your channels, would love to check out what you put up.