PDA

View Full Version : Blatant country favoritism?

AlmightyWarlock
01-20-2017, 06:09 PM
A little disappointed in you with this, Ubi. That Scars thing is a little bit of a childishly low blow for folk who refuse to use VPN's to trick their way into a game.

Happy to have played the alpha, but making Scars region locked? You should be ashamed of yourselves for trying to purposefully give people advantages over others because of where they live, even if it is only for a Beta key.

DraxeI
01-20-2017, 06:19 PM
I'm sure there is a reason for why SCARS was region locked. Does it make any sense that they are trying to discriminate?
Also, if you didn't know, this thing: https://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-US/rewards/ has only been available for U.S players.

You still have a big chance to participate as they will still be sending out keys to people who have signed up, and for all we know they have something else prepared for the U.S.
Meanwhile us Europeans won't be receiving sweet For Honor merchandise :(

iHunny
01-20-2017, 06:22 PM
I'm sure there is a reason for why SCARS was region locked. Does it make any sense that they are trying to discriminate?
Also, if you didn't know, this thing: https://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-US/rewards/ has only been available for U.S players.

You still have a big chance to participate as they will still be sending out keys to people who have signed up, and for all we know they have something else prepared for the U.S.
Meanwhile us Europeans won't be receiving sweet For Honor merchandise :(

This, have your SCAR and give me that reward...

vertigomonkey
01-20-2017, 06:27 PM
As someone who lives in the US, I'm not bothered at all about he region lock for this scars promotion. There seem to be a lot of people panicking before they even start sending out keys for the closed beta. For all we know, everyone who signed up for a key may receive a key. The "closed" setting could just be that you had to at least sign up some way, not just download the game and walk in. The point is, we really don't know right now and there's no need to panic.

Aarpian
01-20-2017, 06:29 PM
Maybe they've already decided to give a key to every US player who applies?

Also as previously mentioned, non-yanks don't get rewards program...

neogeo___
01-20-2017, 07:35 PM
US players don't have the slightest idea of how many US only reward programes and contests there actually are.

First time they get left out of a pre release game event they completely blow this out of proportion. I find the overall reaction US players are having on reddit and this forum extremely distasteful and selfish. Not discussing if this region lock makes sense or not, it is in fact unusual, unprecedented even and hard to understand since we are talking about digital content, but still I'm just pointing out facts.

The rest of the world is more than used to having this happen to them. Do we find it fair? Not really. Can we use the "US blatant favoritism argument"? Yes most time from precedence and abundance of times this happens you could very well call it "the norm". Should the argument be used the other way around when afaik this is the first time US has been locked out of a AAA pre release event? I honestly don't think so.

If anything this will put things into perspective and make US players realize how actually lucky they are almost all the time.

FredEx919
01-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Sorry you aren't able to participate, but there will always be events or promotions that are exclusive to different regions. There's no favoritism about it. Invites for the beta will be going out next week so lets look forward to that.

ShuyinVardiz
01-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Oh my what is it with ppl always complaining knowing sh** about anything? Cant you even CONSIDER there might be a reason to this? Just spend a minute, or maybe even a few, before ****posting and think there might be a marceting or technical reason for this? To ensure a certain participation from specific region they might lack information or hype from?

And please dont throw out any excuses for this kind of thing FredEx, god I beg you dont support the behaviour of excusing for nothing - neither you nor this topic did anything wrong!
If someone comes in your store flaming around because he's not happy - kick him in the butt right out the door! Fu** Customer Satisfaction, I dont want your stupid butt in my store! Behave or leave, dont back away because your customer is unhappy. Yeah sure you need the customers because everything is worthless if they think you're stupid and wont buy anything from you, but that supports their arrogance! Remove them from the customer pool and reduce the amount of salt in the dish you intend to serve.
You show respect, you show decensy towards the customer. He instead prooves an ungrateful brat. Kick him in the butt! That way I maybe wouldnt need to deal with employees irl that are far beyond pissed off since they are forced to fake politeness towards irrational, unfriendly, most times mistaken customers.
But I guess you are forced too, so ignore my short glimm of rage about this topic. Thanks anyway for the efford...
Might as well'd fit into that "Loyal fan for nothing" thread.

PS:
Oh and yeah before you ask: yes, SCARS works for me. Yeah I got a key from there. Sure I am hell'a gratefull to have one granted before the email invites are out. Have fun blaming everything on the fact its easy to talk big when having everything already.

AlmightyWarlock
01-20-2017, 09:02 PM
If you're going to tell people that they don't know anything about anything, please make sure you know how to spell first. Until then, let the big boys and girls talk, alright? Alright.

As per the locked US rewards bit, I don't advocate for that any more than I do a region locked web experience. Everybody should have access to each and every one of these materials.

iHunny
01-20-2017, 09:11 PM
If you're going to tell people that they don't know anything about anything, please make sure you know how to spell first. Until then, let the big boys and girls talk, alright? Alright.

As per the locked US rewards bit, I don't advocate for that any more than I do a region locked web experience. Everybody should have access to each and every one of these materials.

But we dont, so dont tell people to stop whine while you whine.

Mukerji
01-20-2017, 10:38 PM
A little disappointed in you with this, Ubi. That Scars thing is a little bit of a childishly low blow for folk who refuse to use VPN's to trick their way into a game.

Happy to have played the alpha, but making Scars region locked? You should be ashamed of yourselves for trying to purposefully give people advantages over others because of where they live, even if it is only for a Beta key.

I doubt Ubi (or any company) would purposely put one region in front of another. Why would they? No obvious gain. I'm not sure why it's region locked, but I'll wager there's a reason.

neogeo___
01-20-2017, 11:27 PM

This might be your opinion now but I never for once heard/read a US player advocating for this since it never affected them. There is a certain degree of hypocrisy in your accusation of blatant country favoritism when if there has been any it has always been in favor of US players.

When content or tests aren't available worldwide there is always region restriction, in this case and for the first time ever in a AAA game that I know of the US was left out. Nothing extraordinary, just out of the ordinary. No actual reason or logic to support your claims other than entitlement born out of always being on the other side of things.

Again, hope this puts things into perspective for players over there and if it ever comes to the point of either locking out the EU or NA again, I honestly hope this marks the start of fairness in these types of events and EU is left with the "short stick" less times instead of always as we're accustomed

Eirmund
01-21-2017, 05:08 AM
Why are there so many hurt feelings over this? Jeez.

If you ask me, neither side is being very mature.

US: Why don't we get moar things? We're loyal, we should get more stuff.
Other Countries: Hahahaha, you don't get anything this time. Hahaha, how does it feel being left out?

No one likes being excluded, especially over something we're all obviously very excited about. I wasn't aware of how much the US gets included in and other countries didn't, but i'd honestly rather have the experience of playing the Beta over having a helmet I can set down and only look at ( Maybe i'm weird ). And it's not a justification for exclusion either. Maybe they have a reason for it. Maybe it's a Marketing scheme. Maybe they are excluding the US. Who knows but Ubisoft?

I think everyone should just calm down, chill out and be civil. There's no reason to be hating at each other.

Don't you get three extra beta keys with an invite? Are the SCARS Beta Keys region locked? If yes and no, why not ask one of those guys for a code? Seems like a better solution then all these posts and threads.

QuickSilverSRG
01-21-2017, 05:57 AM
Have you ever thought that the reason for the SCARS Beta Keys are region locked is for the purpose of testing the bandwidth and connectivity issues of some regions that they don't have enough data to adjust the server setup. Remember this " BETA" will firstmost test the servers capability and reliability, and i do believe that this time around will be a massive amount of players invited to the test.
I feel that Ubisoft could have been more transparent about these things but what can you do .

P.S. SCARS in my region worked.

devoid_Of_Funk
01-22-2017, 02:37 AM
On this thread is the first I've even heard of the site. and I thought I was doing a pretty decent job of keeping up. I went to the site purely for the lore and to see what it was about. I went through the steps on a humble and it said I earned a beta key. I live in the US so I didn't believe it, but I wasn't gonna just NOT take it. Then I went on reddit and it said if you use the SCARS key you don't get any friend beta keys to give out. is there any truth to that?

AeraLure
01-22-2017, 03:07 AM
US players don't have the slightest idea of how many US only reward programes and contests there actually are.

First time they get left out of a pre release game event they completely blow this out of proportion. I find the overall reaction US players are having on reddit and this forum extremely distasteful and selfish. Not discussing if this region lock makes sense or not, it is in fact unusual, unprecedented even and hard to understand since we are talking about digital content, but still I'm just pointing out facts.

The rest of the world is more than used to having this happen to them. Do we find it fair? Not really. Can we use the "US blatant favoritism argument"? Yes most time from precedence and abundance of times this happens you could very well call it "the norm". Should the argument be used the other way around when afaik this is the first time US has been locked out of a AAA pre release event? I honestly don't think so.

If anything this will put things into perspective and make US players realize how actually lucky they are almost all the time.

^ Props to this post, and I am from the US. Countless times I have seen friends overseas get shafted on one gaming thing or another. It's not right. This isn't either, but it's what our gaming friends in the EU have gone through for years.

There's probably some reason for it. I'm failing to find one that makes sense, but I am sure it's there. Advertising in other regions, offering some sort of exclusivity or promotion in region(s) where the game isn't meeting sales goals.

Oh and personally, I'm of the belief that anyone who signs up for the beta gets in. I don't know why I have that feeling, but this doesn't feel like a beta being so close to the release date. Feels to me more like a network test, and for that, you want everyone playing. Could be another reason giving away some early keys seemed to someone like a good idea to get some site traffic, when they knew everyone else would get them anyway. Just a theory. Guess we'll see in a few days if all or most of us get in.