PDA

View Full Version : For Honor as an E-SPORT?

XxKILLASEEDxX
01-18-2017, 07:17 AM
30+ threads and this hasn't been suggested, SHAME! Who wouldn't want to compete in a game that plays like Braveheart, in front of a packed auditorium for a large cash prize. The game already looks like a movie, all that is left is to tweak certain blocking mechanics so it flows like a movie. If games like League of Legends and Dota2, which focus on build strategies rather than next-gen graphics can host tournaments with million dollar cash pots, surely something like For Honor has its place in there. This would be especially awesome in 32 player game modes that got rid of the NPC's and let actual players fill those roles. Anyone care to expound on this?

TCTF_SWAT
01-18-2017, 07:54 AM
E-sports is eh......never liked the idea.

iHunny
01-18-2017, 09:38 AM
This is the second thread I see about turning For Honor into E-Sport and I do not think they should aim for it untill they see if the game is a succes or not and if people would be interested to watch it.

Dez_troi_aR
01-18-2017, 10:53 AM
I hit the like button because i think the game has e sport potential.

But where do you take the idea from that this would work with 32 players? I am quite sure that this technically isn't possible but there is no question that it would not work gameplaywise. Imagine just 10 of these players fighting in one spot. It would all fall apart...

GewaltSam
01-18-2017, 11:09 AM
I would love to see a 1on1 tournament game mode where you take turns in dueling and can watch the others fight. To really make it into this eSport thing though, I don't know...
Also, anything above maybe 6on6 (if even that) is unrealistic and won't happen in for honor, and may that simply be because the whole netcode probably had to be reworked from the ground up.

Dez_troi_aR
01-18-2017, 01:17 PM
I would love to see a 1on1 tournament game mode where you take turns in dueling and can watch the others fight. To really make it into this eSport thing though, I don't know...
Also, anything above maybe 6on6 (if even that) is unrealistic and won't happen in for honor, and may that simply be because the whole netcode probably had to be reworked from the ground up.

A tournament mode would make much more sense in an esport enviroment than a team gank mode.

XxKILLASEEDxX
01-18-2017, 11:16 PM
I hit the like button because i think the game has e sport potential.

But where do you take the idea from that this would work with 32 players? I am quite sure that this technically isn't possible but there is no question that it would not work gameplaywise. Imagine just 10 of these players fighting in one spot. It would all fall apart...

First off, you can tell the game has Esport potential purely based on the views the alpha build has on YouTube. Some of these YouTube guys are already being paid for having lots of views on this game, and the game hasn't even come out yet. Needless to say people enjoy watching the game be played, plus there are so many different attack/feint strategies yet to be discovered, this alone is enough to keep people watching, waiting to learn a new strategy from a pro and try it out for themselves.

The 32 player game mode suggested in another thread is a whole different conversation not necessarily relevant to the games Esport potential. But seeing as how the argument is so relevant here in the forums I'll write up a thread on just how to pull it off. I say this not from the viewpoint of an overly idealistic gamer, but as a student currently enrolled in school for game design, working with a team of programmers, animators, and level designers working on the solution and trying to be the first to pull off the game we all have been waiting for, which is a For Honor type game with 32/64 player game modes, and simplified yet fluid combat mechanics similar to that of Lord of the Rings Return of the King, but in a pvp environment.

MathiasCB
01-19-2017, 03:34 AM
Been brought up so many times since the reveal, love every thread about it since it's great that they get to see how many that atually wants it.

I support it.

XxKILLASEEDxX
01-19-2017, 01:47 PM
A tournament mode would make much more sense in an esport enviroment than a team gank mode.

A 1v1 tournament mode will definitely make it to Esports, the game has lots of buzz at the moment, and there is no such game in the Esports arena which focuses on technical sword fighting. But the same holds true for any of the other modes, this game flat out has no competition as far as what its offering, be it 1v1 duels or 4v4 dominion. I've played this as well as Chivalry, and this is leaps and bounds superior in its game-play mechanics, graphics and fluid combat style. Im sure the Devs are having fun picking and choosing which ideas to implement into future expansions.

Dez_troi_aR
01-19-2017, 06:15 PM
First off, you can tell the game has Esport potential purely based on the views the alpha build has on YouTube. Some of these YouTube guys are already being paid for having lots of views on this game, and the game hasn't even come out yet. Needless to say people enjoy watching the game be played, plus there are so many different attack/feint strategies yet to be discovered, this alone is enough to keep people watching, waiting to learn a new strategy from a pro and try it out for themselves.

Agreed. For Honor is great for spectators. It is even injoyable for people who lack deeper understanding of the game, which is not something you could say of many other big esports titles. LoL for example looks rediculous for non-gamers, which results in all those puzzled journalists when they try to explain why 30.000 people sit in a stadion and stare at a screen :D

XxKILLASEEDxX
01-19-2017, 08:16 PM
Agreed. For Honor is great for spectators. It is even injoyable for people who lack deeper understanding of the game, which is not something you could say of many other big esports titles. LoL for example looks rediculous for non-gamers, which results in all those puzzled journalists when they try to explain why 30.000 people sit in a stadion and stare at a screen :D

Exactly, us gamers understand why this has game has massive Esport potential. Gamers enjoy watching other "Pros" play the game at a high skill level unattainable to them.

CaptainPwnet
01-20-2017, 12:29 AM
A 1v1 tournament mode will definitely make it to Esports, the game has lots of buzz at the moment, and there is no such game in the Esports arena which focuses on technical sword fighting. But the same holds true for any of the other modes, this game flat out has no competition as far as what its offering, be it 1v1 duels or 4v4 dominion. I've played this as well as Chivalry, and this is leaps and bounds superior in its game-play mechanics, graphics and fluid combat style. Im sure the Devs are having fun picking and choosing which ideas to implement into future expansions.

1v1 duels in this game will likely not make it e-sports at all actually. Maybe in a very small niche fashion but nothing really noteable. Actual focused fighting games are still the little brother in the e-sports world and this game does not meet their level for complexity, skill and variety as far as 1v1 goes.

4v4 Dominion has a much better chance of carving out it's own spot in e-sports as team games generally do better and in this case is much more exciting to watch for spectators. Also more strategy and whatnot to speak about, not to mention the hype outnumbered situations could make for great viewing.

XxKILLASEEDxX
01-20-2017, 04:17 AM
Been brought up so many times since the reveal, love every thread about it since it's great that they get to see how many that atually wants it.

I support it.

1v1 duels in this game will likely not make it e-sports at all actually. Maybe in a very small niche fashion but nothing really noteable. Actual focused fighting games are still the little brother in the e-sports world and this game does not meet their level for complexity, skill and variety as far as 1v1 goes.

4v4 Dominion has a much better chance of carving out it's own spot in e-sports as team games generally do better and in this case is much more exciting to watch for spectators. Also more strategy and whatnot to speak about, not to mention the hype outnumbered situations could make for great viewing.

All valid points guys. Also I agree that 4v4 might have more Esport potential, considering the game mode will sometimes pit opponents against each other in 1v1 situations anyway, there's no need to limit the game strictly to duels; as CaptainPwnet said, 1v1 fighting titles are currently the little brother in Esports. After all, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and Tekken are essentially 2D fighters with 3D modeled characters. For Honor sets itself apart with its interactive 3D environments and this is where I truly feel this game has the potential to carve out its own destiny. I look forward to the devs listening to community suggestions and turning this into the best Esport fighting title out there.

Dez_troi_aR
01-20-2017, 02:42 PM

There is truth to that. Dominion is more appealing to the spectator and maybe more exciting because there are more factors involved.
Personally, I enjoy watching the duels more than dominion, but that might change once the fighting in dominion gains quality.

I hope there will be room for both. E-sport tournaments could follow the format of olympic penthatlon, where the teams have to proove themselves in different competitions. Teams would have to fight 2 Dominion matches first, then in a 1vs1-winner-stays tournament, then a brawl of the two champions of each team and then a final duel if the result is a draw.

That would be quite unique, like For Honor itself. On the other hand i do not know the esport scene good enough to really know if it could work. :)

waraidako
01-20-2017, 04:57 PM
Games that get pushed as e-sports by developers or publishers don't become e-sports. FACT.

If people like watching it, they'll watch it, then you take it from there. Don't get ahead of yourselves.

XxKILLASEEDxX
01-20-2017, 07:59 PM
Games that get pushed as e-sports by developers or publishers don't become e-sports. FACT.

If people like watching it, they'll watch it, then you take it from there. Don't get ahead of yourselves.

It's no longer a question of do people like watching it, FACT. The game has millions of views on various YouTube channels in its Alpha build. The devs didn't do that, and I agree with you, it's not up to devs to push this as an Esport in my opinion, that's exactly the reason I started the thread, we as a community have the ability to drive this game right into the Esports arena.

Let's use the Beta on the 26th as an example of our strength as fans and consumers, without which this game has no traction on the market. It's true we won't change anything by initial release because the final version is already complete ready to ship, and the Beta primarily serves as a pre-release marketing tool. But those of us who play at a high level, paired with great commentators on YouTube can effectively utilize that 3 day window of the Beta to drive the buzz for this title thru the roof by its launch date on the 14th.

So I encourage everyone who gets Beta access to save your videos, link up with editors and commentators within the community to pool together our work and put forth our creative influence toward getting this game the buzz it needs to solidify it's place in Esports. Thanks to all who viewed and responded to this thread, we are the fans and consumers and we DO make a difference, OBAMA OUT!! "drops the mic"

CaptainPwnet
01-20-2017, 10:43 PM
A good point about games that are pushed as upcoming e-sports games generally failing as such. Also a good point that if the community wants e-sports to happen then they have to push it within their own community.

Just to expand on a possible format earlier. I wonder if doing 2 dominion matches to start and afterwards if each team wins 1 match each then it could move on to a 4v4 last man standing set of duels. Like the first 2 players face off and and the winner goes on to fight the second player of the other team and if he wins again he fights the third and so forth until one team has no players left. I think it would be cool if your character choices were made and set in stone before the start of the tiebreaker duel as well. That way when your team loses a round they can try and pick the best matchup for themselves to promote possible comebacks through planning and strategy.

XxKILLASEEDxX
01-21-2017, 05:09 PM
My desire is that those of us who would love to see this as an Esport should join each other in guilds/clans. If all 8 people can party up (XB1) or (PS4) then we can play the game as if it was already an Esport, with a set of rules/guidelines and such. Then we take the video of the match and add commentary over it similar to that of a sportscaster on ESPN, could be cool.

USAFman88
01-22-2017, 08:34 AM
I had huge hopes for this as an esport. 4v4 elimination and dominion seems especially suited for such things. Then I found out about p2p matchmaking. I cannot, and will not purchase a multiplayer game without dedicated servers.

e.Key
01-22-2017, 06:44 PM
Ye p2p servers could be a death sentence to esports, but i guess we will find out how good or bad the connection is during beta. If the p2p is not up to par with dedicated server si probably won't even buy the game.

XxKILLASEEDxX
01-22-2017, 08:47 PM
I had huge hopes for this as an esport. 4v4 elimination and dominion seems especially suited for such things. Then I found out about p2p matchmaking. I cannot, and will not purchase a multiplayer game without dedicated servers.

Ye p2p servers could be a death sentence to esports, but i guess we will find out how good or bad the connection is during beta. If the p2p is not up to par with dedicated server si probably won't even buy the game.

I would have to agree with you both on this point, I hope you Ubisoft guys are paying attention, the masses have spoken.

XxKILLASEEDxX
02-04-2017, 10:54 PM
So its my understanding that the devs have listened to the community on this one, and at least will be providing a ranking system. Now im not sure how this will work out with the Dedicated server vs P2P argument, understanding that some players from more remote parts of the world will want to test there skill also. But I do know that P2P will open up a whole window for cheaters to crawl thru, which im cool on leaving closed for the moment. Most PC games ranking systems are flawed for this very reason, but there are those servers that do a good job at finding and banning cheaters, hopefully Ubi can find the perfect medium and we as the community will definitely get this game to Esports, you mark my word on that!

Plus there is no way to cheat on a live stage, so if thats how you made it all the way there then prepare to be embarrassed by true skill.