PDA

View Full Version : Will Faction War be cross-platform?

eLhabib
01-15-2017, 07:39 PM
Hi, quick question here: Will the Faction War be specific to each platform or will it be one big war spanning across all platforms?
I'd much prefer if it was a seperate Faction War for each platform, since there is no way for good players from one platform to directly compete with players from another platform anyway, meaning there would be no way, for example, to challenge a good pc knight player while I am playing samurai on ps4, to try and take him out and get points for the war.

Also, is there any info on how long the seasons in Faction War are going to be? Are they timed (for example one month each) or do they go on until one faction has reached a certain threshold?

Cheers,
eL

SyntheticDuckie
01-16-2017, 04:03 AM
There is no hope...

waraidako
01-16-2017, 06:50 AM
Faction War is cross-platform. The game itself is not. A PS4 player will only play with other PS4 players. A PC player will only play with other PC players. But gathering points for your faction and the overall war effort will be cumulative across all platforms. It doesn't matter that you can't compete against top players from other platforms. You're not taking points from other players, you're generating points from winning matches and killing enemies. Maybe levels will play into it, but individual skill almost certainly won't.

eLhabib
01-16-2017, 02:32 PM
May I ask how you know that? I'd appreciate an official answer...
Also, I think this would suck. I'd much prefer having one Faction War per each platform. Even if it doesn't REALLY matter, I still think it feels wrong to have a war against players you are not actively fighting against. Feels kinda helpless if for example on pc the knights are a huge force and you can't do anything about it if you are playing on console...

Dez_troi_aR
01-16-2017, 03:10 PM
I see the logic behind your concern. Beeing in competition to someone on another platform looks cotradictive at first, but it really doenst matter. There are a number of reasons for this:

1. The Factions will be equally strong. The first reason to assume this is, that the polls so far show quite equal distibution of the playerbase across the factions, with slightly more players leaning to the samurai. The second reason is that the war assets rebalance the faction strenth. If your faction should consist of less players than the rivaling ones, you will earn more war assets for your wins to balance out their quantitative advantage.

2. The marginality of your personal contribution: Even if you could compede against the overwhelmingly strong PC knights which were your example, you couldnt really do anything about their superiority. We are talking about millions of people who will buy the game and propably several 100.000 who will stay active players on the long term (i've taken destiny as an example because while the game have had a bigger hype, there was no PC version). Sticking to the maths means that furiously grabbing your sword and grinding enemy players will not notably change the faction war by one bit ;)

3. The determining Factors of who wins a season: I am totally speculating here but imo it is not so much about actual competition but more a question to which heroes/factions the most casual players could be drawn to. If it should turn out that all the noob-flow of players who just play the game for a few weeks before trying something else overwhelmingly decide to play the warden, the knights might be at a disadvantage on the long term. Otherwise it should be fair. And i see no reason why more noobs should play one class over another, they all are cool.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out :) . But it is already clear that winning a factionwar season is like depending to 0,000000001 on your skill (if there is only 1 million players and there will be more) and to 9,999999999 % on pure Luck

eLhabib
01-16-2017, 03:24 PM
I get what you are saying, but I think you are underestimating the impact a well organized clan can have on the outcome of Faction War. I used to play a LOT of Chromehounds on Xbox360 back in the day - if you don't know it, it's a mech shooter with fully customizable mechs and matches of small squads going against each other, not unlike dominion mode in For Honor. There also was scavenging of enemy parts and supply drops, and, most importantly, it also had a big, overarching faction war where the winning faction would get special supply drops. I actually think For Honor took some cues from that game because of how similar the Faction War (supposedly) works.
Anyway, what I wanted to get at is that in Chromehounds, a clan consisting of roughly 30 people could turn the tide in the faction war by strategically playing at the right times and on the right maps, even though this game also had millions of players. It would have been outrageous to have players on a different platform influence the outcome of the war without being able to counter them directly.

waraidako
01-16-2017, 03:44 PM
May I ask how you know that? I'd appreciate an official answer...
Also, I think this would suck. I'd much prefer having one Faction War per each platform. Even if it doesn't REALLY matter, I still think it feels wrong to have a war against players you are not actively fighting against. Feels kinda helpless if for example on pc the knights are a huge force and you can't do anything about it if you are playing on console...

Sure thing buddy, here you go.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1534055-Hall-of-Heroes-Guide-to-Faction-War

As for your example of maybe knights being a huge force. Even if they were on the same platform as you, there's nothing you can do about it anyway. Are you going to try to talk them into switching sides? Either way, the faction war will be set up to prevent the larger group from automatically winning due to sheer numbers advantage. The smaller groups will get more war bonds so they can still stay competitive. Also, to prevent people from switching to the winning side and tipping the scales that way, if you switch sides you basically take yourself out of the entire faction war for that season. You'll get no rewards. So even if you're losing, you are encouraged to stick with your faction until the end of the season.

eLhabib
01-16-2017, 04:28 PM
I see. Thanks bud.

UbiJurassic
01-17-2017, 12:24 AM
Sure thing buddy, here you go.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1534055-Hall-of-Heroes-Guide-to-Faction-War

As for your example of maybe knights being a huge force. Even if they were on the same platform as you, there's nothing you can do about it anyway. Are you going to try to talk them into switching sides? Either way, the faction war will be set up to prevent the larger group from automatically winning due to sheer numbers advantage. The smaller groups will get more war bonds so they can still stay competitive. Also, to prevent people from switching to the winning side and tipping the scales that way, if you switch sides you basically take yourself out of the entire faction war for that season. You'll get no rewards. So even if you're losing, you are encouraged to stick with your faction until the end of the season.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l3q2D3dD0CR4XuIIE/giphy.gif

MisterWillow
01-20-2017, 04:05 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l3q2D3dD0CR4XuIIE/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/l3q2HVUDlyemquVYA/giphy.gif