PDA

View Full Version : US collectors edition: No physical game media at all?

XDeadzX
01-14-2017, 11:40 AM
So in other regions (EU) we're seeing ] as the collectors edition, and it doesn't offer a "bonus" indicating it coming with a physical copy of the game/a gamecard.

In the US, the only option is PC Download, which results in collectors edition and "bonus" for honor gold edition being posted on the receipt/order. Does this indeed mean what it looks like? No physical game media/steelbook/game case with a card in it with the US collectors edition? Just the sound track, lithography, and helmets? Awfully disappointed in no PCDVD case, even if I won't actually use the discs.

So, is this the actual case?

EU:https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/216658466490679310/269773609377988608/Capture_decran_143.png

US:https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/216658466490679310/269773781457698816/unknown.png

US Order:https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/216658466490679310/269773935803891722/unknown.png

XDeadzX
01-15-2017, 07:28 PM
Bump for an answer.

iHunny
01-15-2017, 08:05 PM
129.99 for a digital copy only seems to much to me. Still, I am just a consumer so have no answers.

The__Fenrir
01-15-2017, 09:14 PM
Unfortunately, game companies have been doing this more and more to the US for years. They say it has to do with the way WE want to buy things and the I guess the cost effectivness of it.
I personally would prefer physical copies of what I buy. I think it is BS in plain words. I canwatch a movie I bought 10 years ago any time I want, but if I had bought it from an ON-Demand service and then moved or switched cable TV providers the movie I "bought" is dust in the wind.

Their is a push to have all of our media in the "clouds" and I do not buy into that idea at all. I am with you. I want my games, movies, and music in my hands. Even if it is in the clouds as well. Still give me the "thing" I bought.

UWS.lSe7eNl
01-16-2017, 05:01 AM
MODS can we get a solid answer to this? I just pre-purchased on PC, and would like to know if I should expect and physical game media or not.

waraidako
01-16-2017, 07:25 AM
In a lot of EU countries the situation is the same. I haven't seen a physical PC game in ages. It's all Steam now.

XDeadzX
01-16-2017, 09:29 AM
Unfortunately, game companies have been doing this more and more to the US for years. They say it has to do with the way WE want to buy things and the I guess the cost effectivness of it.
I personally would prefer physical copies of what I buy.

Their is a push to have all of our media in the "clouds" and I do not buy into that idea at all. I am with you. I want my games, movies, and music in my hands. Even if it is in the clouds as well. Still give me the "thing" I bought.

See, that's my issue. Preferring physical copies is one thing, but not including a copy of the game in the COLLECTORS EDITION? I can understand cutting costs and not selling normal copies of the game in physical, but a collectors edition? You've got a limited run, just put physical copies in the box! I'm buying a collector's edition, why does it not even have a collectable copy of the game included?

In a lot of EU countries the situation is the same. I haven't seen a physical PC game in ages. It's all Steam now.

The EU copy includes a game case with a PCDVD copy of the game.

Digital media being preferred by the masses or not is not the question, it's a collectors edition not including physical media. I've seen a large share of digital only titles releasing with physical collectors edition (rocket league, terraria, Binding of Issac, maybe a few hundred other digital only titles). Silly that a collector's edition purchase wouldn't contain something to put into your collection.

XDeadzX
01-17-2017, 06:04 PM
Bump to get back on the front page. NA Needs an answer thanks.

FredEx919
01-17-2017, 06:29 PM
Bump to get back on the front page. NA Needs an answer thanks.

Lets avoid bumping threads going forward. It's specifically mentioned in the forum rules and requested not to do. In regards to the original question, it looks like the summary tab on the store page has a bit about activation. The game should be automatically added to your Uplay games library on launch. The physical items will be shipped. Hopefully that helps, but feel free to check in with the store team if you have additional questions.

XDeadzX
01-18-2017, 08:27 AM
In regards to the original question, it looks like the summary tab on the store page has a bit about activation. The game should be automatically added to your Uplay games library on launch. The physical items will be shipped. Hopefully that helps, but feel free to check in with the store team if you have additional questions.

One would think for a $130 product they could at least spare the change in pressing a small piece of plastic for NA customers. You're right, I should have looked more closely because the store pages between EU and NA differ MASSIVELY in fine print, even though the EU copy is the one they are using to advertise everywhere. What a f***ing ripoff. Even the official NA promo on Uplay is missing the fine print that later shows up on the store page.

In EU, the collectors edition is shipping with a physical copy of the sound track CD in a styled paper sleeve. In NA, we get a digital download key, which if the effort put into the collectors edition is any indication, will have unlabeled mediainfo.

In EU, the collectors edition ships with a PCDVD copy of the gold edition, with boxart and likely a small manual. In NA, we get an automatically activated For Honor+Season Pass copy in our library with no manual access.

It's no wonder the game is avoiding paying for dedicated servers, they can't even be bothered to deliver physical media in the United States for their limited run Collectors Editions.

Here's the promo art directly from uplay and used on every third party I can find: http://i.imgur.com/QzI4ejF.jpg

And now that I've finally fully backed a Ubi title, I've come to be let down before it's even released. Go figure. Strange to see the Ubi Downgrade this time is physical instead of in game though.

iHunny
01-18-2017, 09:45 AM
European consumer laws thend to be more strict then US from what I understand, could perhaps have something to do with it. Or US thinks EU have bad internet cos there connection to EU servers are slow :P