PDA

View Full Version : Characters heights

NapoleonisGOAT
01-13-2017, 12:42 AM
I cant seem to find it anywhere but what are the playable assassins heights (arno, connor, etc). I just want to see if it's realistic to the time that each represent.

RavynB
01-13-2017, 06:43 AM
I don't remember where, but I think I had seen something stating that Ezio was somewhere between 5'10 and 6'.

D.I.D.
01-13-2017, 07:07 AM
"Realistic to the time" means very little. You know we're not simply on an upward path to the heights of today, although it is generally an upward trend, and there is no reason why an assassin should be average in any way. Mass graves have been found of warriors where the entire regiment was in the upper 6ft/lower 7ft range, dating back a thousand years ago, and those examples are not representative of their time or ours. The assassins' build, to satisfy "realism", need only justify their physical movements. As a character who hauls his/her body weight with little effort to great heights, dives, rolls, fights and throws, the assassin is an athlete who could be short but also has a good reason to be tall and strong. He/she would have won the genetic and nutritional lotteries, avoided infections through childhood, and recovered well from any injuries. In the fiction, they literally have different genes to most humans, being part-Isu by their high concentration of Isu genetic information.

That's not to say that there's no such thing as variances in average height in different eras and locations, of course. City living has both promoted and stunted the health of cosmopolitan populations, giving them more consistent and varied food supplies while also exposing them to more disease and sleep deprivation (and while the food was more consistent, it wasn't necessarily of a good nutritional standard). When we say that Napoleon was not necessarily tiny for his time, that's quite true; he was indeed around average height by comparison with the Parisian population of the time. The notion of Napoleon's allegedly diminutive stature comes from English propaganda of the period, which was supportable by a mixture of warped facts and unfortunate coincidence. Napoleon's height was reportedly low, and you would think it was proven beyond doubt by his coroner's report: he was 5 feet and 2 inches. However, this does not take into account the discrepancy of the French inch measure versus the one employed in England, and eventually the internationally agreed measure we use today. By today's standard, Napoleon was a whisker short of 5'7".

So is it anachronistic for Arno to be around the 5'10"/6' mark? No it's not, which brings me to another point about Napoleon. English propaganda was informed and seemingly reinforced by the chuckles emanating from the French themselves; people laughed at him in public for his height. However, they weren't laughing at him for being small, per se, but at a size differential. Napoleon was all about Roman-style imperialism, and promoted that image in his armies. For his Imperial guard, he selected the tallest, most classically appealing soldiers to form his elite squad. This created an unfortunate comparison when Bonaparte made public appearances, as his six-foot-plus guards towered over him. So, it is not wrong for Arno to be relatively tall, as there were many men around much taller than that.