PDA

View Full Version : Really? Centurion??

Haemmerst0rm
01-11-2017, 08:58 AM
http://imgur.com/a/sU7ha

Dear For Honor Team

I thought this game was based on only 3 factions that are quite historically accurate: knights, vikings, samurai.
Yet, you are giving a season pass with 6 new heroes and guess what: there is a centurion...

Don't ruin this game yet with adding roman fighters please. I beg you! Let this game only be medieval based... And the armor is quite ridiculous... Sorry to say that, but it really does!.....

Rahnzan
01-11-2017, 09:04 AM
Quite historically accurate

No.

Also Centurions are badass. Roman warriors were not to be screwed with.

Haemmerst0rm
01-11-2017, 09:06 AM
No.

Also Centurions are badass. Roman warriors were not to be screwed with.

Sigh... as long as they can give this centurion the outfit of the late east byzantine empire (from between the year 1000 - 1453), then I might be cool with it... I just don't see how a centurion can fight against a knight with bronze armor plates + naked arms + square shield and a gladius.....

Eirmund
01-11-2017, 09:19 AM
Sigh... as long as they can give this centurion the outfit of the late east byzantine empire (from between the year 1000 - 1453), then I might be cool with it... I just don't see how a centurion can fight against a knight with bronze armor plates + naked arms + square shield and a gladius.....

Probably the same way a samurai, wearing leather and lacquer armor, fights a knight.

From what I can see is that there's still only 3 factions, they're just adding new classes. It's dope that there's gonna be a ninja with a Kusarigama. I'd really have liked to have seen a Chinese factions cuz dem Hook swords.

Rahnzan
01-11-2017, 09:22 AM
You know that the classic Roman suit of armor you're envisioning wasn't used across the entire empire right? I know it's cheating the dialog to say they basically wore everything from every region, but they did. Ignoring the fact that all of the Vikings have not but enough armor to stop an aggressive bread knife, the Centurion I've seen has a ton of armor.

Further still, in a universe with available steel, no one's using bronze. They're going for plausible fantasy not historical fantasy, but if it helps you sleep at night, the centurion is probably using colored steel. He's not displaced in time, his culture is.

It's the same reason the Knights aren't bifurcating every samurai warrior they come across. Their armor was essentially treated cotton.

xLeapingLizardx
01-11-2017, 09:54 AM
I read around on reddit and people are speculating that there are going to be 2 additional warriors per faction. The "centurion" likely a knight and the "ninja" likely a samurai. The characters in the back that look familiar (Raider, Warden, Orochi, Warlord) are likely placeholders for upcoming characters. Apparently this was also done with "Rainbow Six Siege". They likely still represent the faction that they will be in. (Again as you can see 2 Vikings 2 knights 2 samurai)

If they plan on doing it this way, I will be extremely happy with it. For me historical accuracy (even though this game isn't exactly historically accurate like everyone wants to believe) takes a back seat to wanting more content and more fun/variety. I believe "Star Wars Battlefront" (stay with me here) lost so much potential when they opted for only using original trilogy heroes. They end up releasing people like: Bossk, Greedo, Nien Nunbm, etc. Instead of cool (would have been fun to play as) characters like Darth Maul, General Grievous, Yoda, obi-wan, etc. So if I have to maybe suspend my imagination on the accuracy a bit for better less restrictive new content then I am ok with that.

Aarpian
01-11-2017, 10:05 AM
I read around on reddit and people are speculating that there are going to be 2 additional warriors per faction. The "centurion" likely a knight and the "ninja" likely a samurai. The characters in the back that look familiar (Raider, Warden, Orochi, Warlord) are likely placeholders for upcoming characters. Apparently this was also done with "Rainbow Six Siege". They likely still represent the faction that they will be in. (Again as you can see 2 Vikings 2 knights 2 samurai)

If they plan on doing it this way, I will be extremely happy with it. For me historical accuracy (even though this game isn't exactly historically accurate like everyone wants to believe) takes a back seat to wanting more content and more fun/variety. I believe "Star Wars Batlefont" (stay with me here) lost so much potential when they opted for only using original trilogy heroes. They end up releasing people like: Bossk, Greedo, Nien Nunbm, etc. Instead of cool (would have been fun to play as) characters like Darth Maul, General Grievous, Yoda, obi-wan, etc. So if I have to maybe suspend my imagination on the accuracy a bit for better less restrictive new content then I am ok with that.

Agree with this almost entirely.

Interesting to note that people seem to have an issue with Bronze V.S. Steel, when Vikings are running around with no chain mail. If you want to be historically accurate, the Knights would obliterate everyone else every match, as somebody mentioned above - vikings could probably do some damage to them with axes but Katanas wouldn't stand a chance against full steel plate + mail.
Good quality bronze is actually very comparable to steel as it happens, and certainly superior to iron for weaponry.

giampierogildo
01-11-2017, 01:47 PM

centurion weapon and armor were made of steel...

Orisoll
01-11-2017, 03:11 PM
What's your guys' beef with centurions?

iHunny
01-11-2017, 03:14 PM
The add of heros from different civilazations was something people on the forum asked for. I seen Romans pop up and others. So they adding one is not strange.

Dez_troi_aR
01-11-2017, 07:41 PM
I dont think the centurion fits the game. In a medieval setting i feel strange seeing soldiers of the roman empire running around.
If they make this design choice, the game is likly going into the direction of a who-is-who of historical warrior figures. Some might like that, i would prefer them sticking to the pseudo-medieval viking-samurai-knight scenario.

giampierogildo
01-11-2017, 07:56 PM
centurion could fit the game, but they need a roman faction, altough it could be more interesting if they add faction like indian or middle east to have more variety.
and then they go and add a ******* ninja...at least the centurion is a warrior.

Eirmund
01-11-2017, 08:31 PM
centurion could fit the game, but they need a roman faction, altough it could be more interesting if they add faction like indian or middle east to have more variety.
and then they go and add a ******* ninja...at least the centurion is a warrior.

Lol, Ninjas will never be portrayed as historically accurate. So they're probably working with a Ninja Warrior concept. I think it'll be neat because their weapon will be unique.

I'd really have liked to see a Chinese faction, believe I mentioned it, because they have a variety of unique weapons as well, like the Rope Dart or Hook Swords.

katheb
01-11-2017, 10:53 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but Samurai, Knights and Vikings never actually met... it is not like they will break realism to add another ancient warrior.

Disemboweler27
01-11-2017, 11:17 PM
I am ok with Centurion, and other characters from Antiquity joining the game.

I just dont think he should be added to Knights Faction.

Adding a separate faction for each strange new Warrior will be too much as well.

So I think they should b eighter Factionless or for purpose of mechanics to be in a fictional faction.

You could for example make a faction - Warriors of the Ancient World - and put there all the option from before 10th century.

For example

Roman Centurion / Pretorian (Gladius+Scutum) - Heavy Class
Spartan Hoplite (Shield+Spear) - Hybrid Class
Trakki Bosphoran warrior (Rhompai*) - Vanguard Class
Persian Immortal (2 swords/ or Short spear) - Assasin Class

Fermit_the.Krog
01-11-2017, 11:32 PM
I don't really like the idea of Centurion's being added into the game. I see For Honor as a Viking, Knights and Samurai only game. However, with this being said I could probably safely say that I will start to get slowly bored of these three factions once I put more hours into the game. While adding more warriors into each faction is alright, and could add different tactics and play styles I still think it could start getting quite dull. I don't know... I suppose we'll see.

Eirmund
01-11-2017, 11:53 PM
I really like the idea of more heroes joining the game ... but it ruins the whole atmosphaer in my eyes, if Ubi just drops warriors from completely other periods and completely other origins into the character rooster of the existing factions, which have literally nothing to do with them! :p

Nothing against the ninja, he fits in the game ... even if some Asian would kill me for this, but I don't know the difference. As a European I don't know the difference ^^

Lol, you're fine. Ninja are a part of the Japanese culture, as are the Samurai. But the irony is that Ninjas, at least historically accurate ninjas, are far from what anyone would call a warrior. They didn't really fight, but instead used disguises and other methods to gather intelligence. So I imagine that the Ninja we'll see is something more of a Ninja Warrior.

I don't really see how Centurions ruin the atmosphere. While the game world is close to our own, it's very clear that it's it's own fantasy world. Who are we to say what will and won't ruin the atmosphere? It's seems a little more silly to say that only Samurai, Knights and Vikings belong in this world. I personally am happy to see other factions at least represented in this.

LastMoh1can
01-12-2017, 01:17 AM
I once suggested a "prologue" to the story of for honor, that happens a few centuries before the game. So we could have in there: Romans (Legion) x Spartans(Warborn) x Persians(Dawn Empire) fighting themselves over some piece of land that was invunerable to the armaggedon that was foreseen, but in the end it was just a ruse from apollyon ancestors to make them fight each other....nice plot huh? nice way to put people against each other at least...

Anyway, i wish they could add new factions and classes to the game, but with it, LORE-WISE content and a good story to support their introduction. Not just randomly trow a centurion as DLC into the knights. I wanted to be an expansion of some sorts, with brand new factions, classes, maps, etc. THAT would be awesome, EXPANSIONS ! not those minor Dlcs for heroes/armors/paints/weapons

Lets learn a bit from CD Projekt Red on how to make true expansions... shall we ubi?

AlmightyWarlock
01-12-2017, 01:18 AM
IT looks like they'll be adding two new heroes to each action, not adding new factions. But who knows- may all six will be a playable faction by themselves underneath Apollyon?

Rowedian
01-12-2017, 02:10 AM
IT looks like they'll be adding two new heroes to each action, not adding new factions. But who knows- may all six will be a playable faction by themselves underneath Apollyon?

^ This. No one even thought of this. Apollyon has the power to bring warriors together from different times. These 6 heroes they are added could be heroes she brought over and there might be a Apollyon Faction. This would open up endless possibilities for different warriors.

Even if this isn't the case, I am happy they are adding characters, I hope they continue to do this. I really think For Honor could be the start of something if they do it right. That being said....not making the next beta and open beta kind shoots yourself in the foot. I have many friends that don't even know what this game is. Making an open beta would help that...

Soul.RED
01-12-2017, 03:01 AM
I want a chinese one with Guandao weapon
better yet, just make a Lu Bu and Guan Yu :p

VodkaSlam
01-12-2017, 03:05 AM

Dear For Honor Team

I thought this game was based on only 3 factions that are quite historically accurate: knights, vikings, samurai.
Yet, you are giving a season pass with 6 new heroes and guess what: there is a centurion...

Don't ruin this game yet with adding roman fighters please. I beg you! Let this game only be medieval based... And the armor is quite ridiculous... Sorry to say that, but it really does!.....

Unfortunately, they will be following the same system as Rainbow Six Siege. Which each Month will be New Characters from Different Factions with about 1 - 3 maps by the look of this. The Character Selection System and Progression System is the same just tweaked enough to look different.

They are following this system due to the fact it is being successful on the Siege side, because in reality we are in a generation of gamers who will buy whatever DLC a game has to offer no matter the price. I for one, am not that type of gamer. I buy if i see value in something. But seeing a Roman Warrior and looks like an Arabian Soldier in the back? This is turning into a Next Generation Deadliest Warrior game then a Unique New IP....but we shall see, since they took out Splitscreen and a few other features. My Hype is getting lower....i am still excited for the game....but we all know how things get with Ubisoft. Ubisoft....dont mess this game up and make it TRULY Unique then a copy and paste of systems of previous games which you have done plenty of times and failed. Thank You.

VodkaSlam
01-12-2017, 03:07 AM

By this reveal? i wouldnt doubt that they will, they will be following the same system like rainbow six siege so, its bound to happen eventually

VodkaSlam
01-12-2017, 03:09 AM

That is very interesting indeed, She did mention she will recruit the warriors of her enemies for the cause of her war. Basically Mercenaries which back in that time were by the millions. So i wouldnt doubt if there is a variety of different cultures and factions going against the Top 3. But who knows....if they do add more Factions, which is bound to happen, at least keep it separated from the Faction Wars and Campaign

Haemmerst0rm
01-12-2017, 09:21 AM
I'm just hoping they are sticking to medieval heroes instead of ancient heroes.... A "roman" fighter but in a medieval byzantium armor and weapons.....

Eirmund
01-12-2017, 09:35 AM
Well, let's see what they do with it first, shall we? Before we pass too much judgement.

I'd be more concerned with how their shields play a factor in the game. From the little I know, they're usually big and long, enough to form a powerful wall when in a unit.

Mr_Gallows
01-12-2017, 09:37 AM
Look at the heroes. There are two viking types, two samurai types and while one of the last two looks roman, I am sure they are knights.

waraidako
01-12-2017, 10:02 AM

I don't know a lot about Chinese history, but what I do know is that you do not pursue Lu Bu.

I'm curious what the viking type heroes will be. Hoping for an atgeir one. Or a swordstaff.

Dark-Thomy
01-12-2017, 03:24 PM
I don't know a lot about Chinese history, but what I do know is that you do not pursue Lu Bu. [...]

Yeah, it's better to get to the Hu Lao Gate, and attack Dhong Zhuo, right ? ^^

Dez_troi_aR
01-12-2017, 04:29 PM
I made a poll. Come Vote.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1547948-Additional-Heroes-Poll

AlmightyWarlock
01-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Is there anybody else hoping that one of the new Viking units has a hammer for a weapon?

iHunny
01-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Is there anybody else hoping that one of the new Viking units has a hammer for a weapon?

I am not sure hammers was used as weapons for Vikings.

AlmightyWarlock
01-13-2017, 12:03 AM
You don't think that the Vikings beat eachother with blunt objects?

iHunny
01-13-2017, 12:08 AM

They prefered stabbing and slashing. I seen no references to blunt weapons other then there shields. Axes, swords, spears and glaives were the weapons i found they used.

waraidako
01-13-2017, 12:29 AM

The Sagas mention many different times when people used blunt objects to beat each other. Stones were quite popular, to the point where in one battle, a commander relocated to a rockslide so that his men would have all the rocks they could want for the fight. Boat hooks, clothes beaters, oars, an anvil, the part of a sled that runs against the snow, and of course, sticks, are all mentioned being used as improvised weaponry.

It's combat, you use whatever is at hand. But there's no historical source for hammer type weapons. I don't doubt for a second that at some point, someone picked up a blacksmith's hammer, carpenter's hammer, or whatever, and bashed someone's face in with it, but it was not a weapon of choice.

Interesting fact: in Norse society, being struck by something that wasn't a weapon was a grave insult, and would be even graver if it also resulted in some other disgrace, such as soiling someone's clothes. In Grettir's Saga, Auðun threw a skin sack filled with cheese curds at Grettir, covering him in curds. Grettir considered this a greater insult than if Auðun had given him a bloody wound.

CaptainPwnet
01-13-2017, 01:50 AM
So has there been any confirmation of the legitimacy of the OP's linked pic? I can't find anything official from Ubisoft that confirms the gold editions rewards or the new character teasers.

Stormstriker90
01-14-2017, 12:35 AM
I'm gonna call BS. There's been 0 coverage on these other classes, 0 gameplay, 0 announcements. I'm calling fake. Also, only 2 of those "new" classes are actually new. The others are the Zerker, Warden, and Kensei. THis is fake as ****

Eirmund
01-14-2017, 12:46 AM
I'm gonna call BS. There's been 0 coverage on these other classes, 0 gameplay, 0 announcements. I'm calling fake. Also, only 2 of those "new" classes are actually new. The others are the Zerker, Warden, and Kensei. THis is fake as ****

Whoa, chill, man. First up, other than Ninja and Centurion, the other classes are most likely just place holders. Secondly, there are several articles on the net that show the same picture and state that it's a leak. So of course there's not going to be alot of information because Ubisoft hadn't intended to release that info yet. That's also why we're not getting an official confirmation.

ElderJudoka47
01-14-2017, 01:03 AM
Another thing to consider? I might just be splitting hairs here, but I feel compelled to point this out, regardless. For all we know, this isn't a Centurion but a Praetorian.

For those of you who don't know, the Praetorian Guard were the elite bodyguards of Roman Emperors, and ironically, sometimes the assassins of Roman Emperors. If that is the case, the weapons of this class would be different than that of a Centurion.

Centurions were frontline soldiers, who used the tower-shield and gladius on the battlefield for the shield-wall formations. Personally, I think this would be redundant and pointless, seeing as how the Warlord already uses this fighting style. Even has the gladius, to boot. The Praetorian would probably be different because of their function as bodyguards, and in the game, I'm sure that's something lords and nobles are in dire need of.

Another thing to bare in mind is the fact that Roman weapons were simple yet effective, and some weren't even native to Rome originally. I would personally love to see this guy using the Falx, a type of curved sickle-like sword adopted from the Dacian tribes.

On a more personal note, I have no problem with the Centurion. The Centurions were the cogs of the Roman war machine and expanded their empire from the British Islands to the Hindu Kush, and into Egypt. You don't conquer that much territory and that many people by being a belt-weight daisy.

CaptainPwnet
01-14-2017, 01:34 AM

I think I'd have to agree with you. Centurion just seems a little too out of style compared to the rest of the knights. The ninja looking dude also does not fit the same overall theme and style of armor as the other samurai. The other possibility is that these 2 are part of a new faction, but that also leaves me skeptical as then this faction would only have 2 characters as the others are presented as likely to be placeholders for new characters in the existing factions and even if they are also a part of the new faction then that gives them 6 characters compared to the norm so far of 4.

Things just don't add up, but I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility. My guess would be that the image could have been leaked but not before some creative doctoring. I'd love it if it was real though since the ninja dude looks to be holding a kama which could possibly be a kusari-gama which I would just love so much.

AlmightyWarlock
01-14-2017, 04:00 AM
I think...we might be looking too much into the centurion thing...that helmet...reminds me an awful lot of an Arthurian helmet..

CaptainPwnet
01-14-2017, 04:27 AM
I think...we might be looking too much into the centurion thing...that helmet...reminds me an awful lot of an Arthurian helmet..

The helm is actually another interesting point to look at. If you notice the helm style of each faction is generally universal. The Knights all have fully enclosed helms, even the peacekeeper who has her hood drawn over a full helm. The vikings all have helms or masks that only cover the top half of their face leaving the bottom half exposed. The samurai theme seems to be full faced masks for the most part, otherwise 3 of them also have helmets paired with their mask while the shugoki only wears a mask.

The supposed centurion having an open faced helm just doesn't fit. Then for the ninja his armor is what doesn't fit, also his mask isn't as much of a mask like the other samurai have. More of just a cowl.

So now I wonder maybe these aren't new characters but maybe alternate skins? That is if the images aren't completely bogus in the first place.

Edit: I suppose the valkyrie doesn't quite fit my suggested theme for the vikings. But I think that may be because the valk being female she does not have a beard to sport on the lower half of her face. So they probably decided to give her a full face covering to make her look more impressive next to her viking brothers.

Eirmund
01-14-2017, 04:38 AM
The helm is actually another interesting point to look at. If you notice the helm style of each faction is generally universal. The Knights all have fully enclosed helms, even the peacekeeper who has her hood drawn over a full helm. The vikings all have helms or masks that only cover the top half of their face leaving the bottom half exposed. The samurai theme seems to be full faced masks for the most part, otherwise 3 of them also have helmets paired with their mask while the shugoki only wears a mask.

The supposed centurion having an open faced helm just doesn't fit. Then for the ninja his armor is what doesn't fit, also his mask isn't as much of a mask like the other samurai have. More of just a cowl.

So now I wonder maybe these aren't new characters but maybe alternate skins? That is if the images aren't completely bogus in the first place.

Edit: I suppose the valkyrie doesn't quite fit my suggested theme for the vikings. But I think that may be because the valk being female she does not have a beard to sport on the lower half of her face. So they probably decided to give her a full face covering to make her look more impressive next to her viking brothers.

I can't agree with the skins. Even if you ignore the image, I know i've read somewhere that we're getting 6 new classes. Skins and Classes are vastly different.

Novobarrel
01-14-2017, 05:19 AM
Is everyone forgetting about the Knight faction's lore? From the For Honor site (http://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-US/game-info/factions/knights.aspx)itself:

"The Knights of Ashfeld are brash paragons of might.

They were sent by the Iron Legions to pacify the land. They’ve since acquired a taste for freedom and have made Ashfeld their home. They believe that many – if not all – of the ancient ruins that cover their lands were built by the Great Empire, the precursor of the Iron Legion.

Disorganized for centuries, Ashfeld’s Knights have mostly been a collection of petty warlords and roving bands of mercenary knights. In the last decade, they have been corralled under a single banner, often at sword point, by Ashfeld’s Blackstone Legion, led by Apollyon.

So far, the Knights have managed to defend Ashfeld from Vikings and Samurai attacks. Apollyon argues that a threat of war is imminent and tells stragglers that joining her Legion is the only guarantee they will hold onto their lands."

The Knights of Ashfeld having some one-off elements that are Roman or Byzantine-like shouldn't be that much of a problem. After all, they came from the Iron Legions and the Great Empire- undoubtedly a Roman-esque people. I bet that the centurion-looking fellow is someone of significant rank trying to emulate something like a Praetorian, Tribune, or even a Legate, a type of champion who is supposed to stand out. They purposely adorn themselves with an antiquated style of equipment to be a highly visible symbol of the legacy and past glories of their people.

xLeapingLizardx
01-14-2017, 05:52 AM

I'm just going to assume that you didn't read anything other than the original post haha.

There is definitely a chance that the image may not be real. But in my opinion it looks quite convincing! If it is not then yay! that'll be another bit of news that will be surprising and exciting to hear when they actually do give us some info.

I think we maybe need to pull back on what we think this game is supposed to be and let the developers decide what they want the game that they are creating to be. I am not saying that we shouldn't give our suggestions and what not, but it is increasingly obvious that everyone has hugely different opinions on what they think should and should not be in this game. The developers are, without a doubt, not going to be able to please everyone. So again I think we just need to be a little more open-minded and be grateful for whatever extra content we are granted. (I feel like a broken record xD)

Angry Ari 1
01-14-2017, 07:09 AM
I'm not terribly enthused to see the centurion either, and to a degree the ninja as well. The centurian does not fit in aesthetically with the knights, and it seems kinda weird to throw in a soldier who is trained to work elbow to elbow with shield brothers in a battlefield where everyone runs around willy nilly. However... this game is not exactly historically accurate, as I think we've all noticed. I'm hoping that, in terms of aesthetics for both the centurion and ninja, the developers will adjust some things so that they blend in a little better with their faction, or at least I hope that they put in a nice reason lorewise why there's this guy running around wearing more or less outdated armor. Ugh, I dunno. Ubi Montreal has gotten away from being called insanely absurd with the knights v samurai v vikings theme by doing this fantasy/alternate history stuff, which is cool and everything... and the reason why they can just throw in these two out of place warriors. We haven't even seen what the other 4 are. Who knows, it's too early to tell for sure whether this will work or not, all we have is some art of the two warriors, with 4 placeholders, which makes me think that these guys are more or less subject to change.

Angry Ari 1
01-14-2017, 07:23 AM
Is everyone forgetting about the Knight faction's lore? From the For Honor site (http://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-US/game-info/factions/knights.aspx)itself:

"The Knights of Ashfeld are brash paragons of might.

They were sent by the Iron Legions to pacify the land. They’ve since acquired a taste for freedom and have made Ashfeld their home. They believe that many – if not all – of the ancient ruins that cover their lands were built by the Great Empire, the precursor of the Iron Legion.

Disorganized for centuries, Ashfeld’s Knights have mostly been a collection of petty warlords and roving bands of mercenary knights. In the last decade, they have been corralled under a single banner, often at sword point, by Ashfeld’s Blackstone Legion, led by Apollyon.

So far, the Knights have managed to defend Ashfeld from Vikings and Samurai attacks. Apollyon argues that a threat of war is imminent and tells stragglers that joining her Legion is the only guarantee they will hold onto their lands."

The Knights of Ashfeld having some one-off elements that are Roman or Byzantine-like shouldn't be that much of a problem. After all, they came from the Iron Legions and the Great Empire- undoubtedly a Roman-esque people. I bet that the centurion-looking fellow is someone of significant rank trying to emulate something like a Praetorian, Tribune, or even a Legate, a type of champion who is supposed to stand out. They purposely adorn themselves with an antiquated style of equipment to be a highly visible symbol of the legacy and past glories of their people.

Nice point you bring! If there is a nice lore-reason as to why these guys are wearing aesthetically-jarring/outdated knight's armor, then I'll be much more welcoming to the centurion AND the ninja. What you brought up there, with the knights basically being sent out by this Iron Legion from the Great Empire, it'd be cool if the centurion and his lot were being sent out to find these rogue knights who have gotten used to the taste of freedom, and are like "Yo, where the hell have you been the last 5 centuries! Hand over everything you've captured to the Empire, or else..." And then it's the knights vs the empire knights. It probably won't turn out quite like that, since that would probably cause weird things that wouldn't work with the Factions War (both with canon and gameplay), and all sorts of other problems. However, there could still be some awesome lore possibilities

Eon233
01-14-2017, 07:48 AM

Dear For Honor Team

people keep calling it a centurion. Guys its a Praetorian not a centurion. Centurions wore those helmets with those colorful "Mohawks" on them. This is a praetorian which is an emperor guard

Eon233
01-14-2017, 07:50 AM

I dont think you get it. Those background characters are PLACEHOLDERS. they did the same exact thing with Seige. The front two are new and inviting while the others are unknown and kept secret. You are taking this wayyyyy out of proportion

Novobarrel
01-15-2017, 01:36 AM
Nice point you bring! If there is a nice lore-reason as to why these guys are wearing aesthetically-jarring/outdated knight's armor, then I'll be much more welcoming to the centurion AND the ninja. What you brought up there, with the knights basically being sent out by this Iron Legion from the Great Empire, it'd be cool if the centurion and his lot were being sent out to find these rogue knights who have gotten used to the taste of freedom, and are like "Yo, where the hell have you been the last 5 centuries! Hand over everything you've captured to the Empire, or else..." And then it's the knights vs the empire knights. It probably won't turn out quite like that, since that would probably cause weird things that wouldn't work with the Factions War (both with canon and gameplay), and all sorts of other problems. However, there could still be some awesome lore possibilities

In regards to ninja, they shouldn't be a problem at all. Historically speaking, ninja were not some sort of separate caste of people from samurai. Simply put, it was just a military occupation just like how some people specialized in the cavalry, some with commanding units of gunners, others with siege defenses and engineering, logistics, etc. Indeed a lot of historical ninja were samurai themselves. The Samurai's Bushido was only formally codified in the peaceful Edo period and the version of Bushido most people are familiar with today was mostly from heavily romanticized 20th century propaganda. During Sengoku Jidai samurai were more than willing to use any tactic to win, had no problems with sensible retreats, tended to really like using firearms, etc. Being a ninja is just another (albeit highly specialized) job for the professional warrior.

For the game itself though, the Dawn Empire already has some available lore that include ninja. Again from the For Honor website about the Orochi (http://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-US/game-info/heroes/orochi.aspx)

"The Orochi
The Orochi are the Imperial assassins of the Samurai. They roam the battlefield like ghosts, terrorizing and slaughtering those unfortunate enough to cross their path. Lightly armored and trained in the arts of stealth and deception, the Orochi dispatches enemies with a katana. Usually loyal beyond reproach, the Orochi holds the darker samurai secrets of dealing death in myriad ways, from throwing deadly knives to using a poisoned blade."

If you watch the Orochi video, it even talks about how the Orochi "move like shadows with lore taken from the ninja clans." As such I have to include that the "ninja clans" are integrated within the Dawn Empire and the Orochi are the armored battlefield ninja of the Samurai. Adding another ninja, perhaps a more espionage-focused Shinobi with that sickle-axe-chain weapon thing should fit just fine.

waraidako
01-15-2017, 07:33 AM
I dont think you get it. Those background characters are PLACEHOLDERS. they did the same exact thing with Seige. The front two are new and inviting while the others are unknown and kept secret. You are taking this wayyyyy out of proportion

I don't think so. I think he might be right. They already have a ninja class, the Orochi is the ninja type character. Why would they add another? Especially with what looks like a kusarigama, which isn't a viable battlefield weapon. That's like something you see in an anime. In a real war it would be useless.

Eirmund
01-15-2017, 08:31 AM
I don't think so. I think he might be right. They already have a ninja class, the Orochi is the ninja type character. Why would they add another? Especially with what looks like a kusarigama, which isn't a viable battlefield weapon. That's like something you see in an anime. In a real war it would be useless.

Well, first up, we don't know if it IS a kusarigama. It could just as well be a Kama, which is a small sickle. Besides which, why did they make Kusarigama if they weren't weapons of war? They definitely didn't use it to put on ballerina displays.

Secondly, there's several places online discussing the leak and the fact that Ubisoft hasn't been around to deny it is pretty strong evidence that this is real. And no, I don't know why they'd add two ninja-esque classes to the game, but popularity could be a factor.

TheBearJew411
01-15-2017, 09:04 AM
In regards to ninja, they shouldn't be a problem at all. Historically speaking, ninja were not some sort of separate caste of people from samurai. Simply put, it was just a military occupation just like how some people specialized in the cavalry, some with commanding units of gunners, others with siege defenses and engineering, logistics, etc. Indeed a lot of historical ninja were samurai themselves. The Samurai's Bushido was only formally codified in the peaceful Edo period and the version of Bushido most people are familiar with today was mostly from heavily romanticized 20th century propaganda. During Sengoku Jidai samurai were more than willing to use any tactic to win, had no problems with sensible retreats, tended to really like using firearms, etc. Being a ninja is just another (albeit highly specialized) job for the professional warrior.

For the game itself though, the Dawn Empire already has some available lore that include ninja. Again from the For Honor website about the Orochi (http://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-US/game-info/heroes/orochi.aspx)

"The Orochi
The Orochi are the Imperial assassins of the Samurai. They roam the battlefield like ghosts, terrorizing and slaughtering those unfortunate enough to cross their path. Lightly armored and trained in the arts of stealth and deception, the Orochi dispatches enemies with a katana. Usually loyal beyond reproach, the Orochi holds the darker samurai secrets of dealing death in myriad ways, from throwing deadly knives to using a poisoned blade."

If you watch the Orochi video, it even talks about how the Orochi "move like shadows with lore taken from the ninja clans." As such I have to include that the "ninja clans" are integrated within the Dawn Empire and the Orochi are the armored battlefield ninja of the Samurai. Adding another ninja, perhaps a more espionage-focused Shinobi with that sickle-axe-chain weapon thing should fit just fine.

Ummm I have a bachelors in Asian history and the ninja was never a part of the Samurai order. It is actually to this day a huge insult in Japan to say someone has ninja bloodlines or heritage. Ninjas were basically farmers who taught themselves stealth tactics and guerrilla warfare. They were considered the scum of the Earth, cowards, and not worthy of fighting in combat due to their tactics and fighting style being so misaligned with the Bushido code . The modern infatuation with the ninja and their modern depiction was really created here in the west. Now this game is fantasy and not at all does it have to draw from the historical ac-curacies of our world. So ninja being part of the Samurai order is highly possible in this game but in actual feudal Japan it never happened.

waraidako
01-15-2017, 10:27 AM
Well, first up, we don't know if it IS a kusarigama. It could just as well be a Kama, which is a small sickle. Besides which, why did they make Kusarigama if they weren't weapons of war? They definitely didn't use it to put on ballerina displays.

Secondly, there's several places online discussing the leak and the fact that Ubisoft hasn't been around to deny it is pretty strong evidence that this is real. And no, I don't know why they'd add two ninja-esque classes to the game, but popularity could be a factor.

Pretty much yeah, they used it to put on ballerina displays. It's fairly simple figuring out if something is or isn't a weapon of war. You just ask one question: "Was it used a lot?" and if the answer is no, then that's because it wasn't effective. The proof is in the pudding as they say. If no one is using it, then there's a good reason for that. There's a reason every civilization used the sword, spear, axe, bow, and some form of polearm. Because they work. The kusarigama is so dependent on all of the factors being perfect for its use that it's impossible to imagine it on a battlefield. First of all there's no way of preventing the chain from striking friendlies all around you. Secondly, trees, horses, buildings, anything gets in the way and it tangles and becomes pointless. And neutralizing that chain is as simple as just attacking in the moment when it's moving backwards, or not allowing your opponent to start spinning it in the first place, or using a scabbard to entangle it, and then just cutting your opponent to pieces with your sword, because all they have left is a tiny pick, with no hand protection, and no reach. Not to mention that even if all other factors were in your favour, your opponent still needed to also be unarmoured for it to work. Try smacking someone in the head with that little chain weight when they're wearing a helmet, they'll just laugh at you. It won't even hurt.

The kama, sure. You could kill someone with that. But you could also kill someone with a pair of scissors. As a weapon, against anything other than a knife, it's pretty useless. The reach is pathetic, the only real attack with it is the hacking motion, there's no hand protection at all, which means that you can't block swords with it because your opponent will just cut your fingers off, and it's not very heavy so it doesn't have a lot of punch. I'd be surprised if you could get through a gambeson with it. It's a farming tool, and if you get attacked when you're out harvesting the rice, I guess it's better than nothing, but you'd be insane to bring it to a battlefield.

There's a reason all of these "exotic" weapons are exotic. Because nobody wanted to use them. The kusarigama is old. It was invented in the muromachi period. So it's not like people just didn't know about them. They just didn't think they were useful. Because they aren't. There are a lot of these martial arts in the world that are invented and centered around a principle that sounds reasonable in theory, but doesn't pan out in practice. And more often than not, these martial arts have never been battle tested. They just sit around in their dojos practicing theoretical moves and counters without ever actually fighting anyone who isn't using the same techniques as themselves.

And Ubi not denying it doesn't mean anything. Real or fake, it's drumming up attention for their game, so they have no reason to go out and deny it. At least not until they are ready to announce whatever it is they're actually going to do.

buff_Nobushi
01-15-2017, 03:50 PM
((Whatever the case is now, I'd love to run around in that bronze armor with that wonderful face mask. [Interrupting the discussion and referring to the leaked picture thing]))

Eirmund
01-15-2017, 04:17 PM
Pretty much yeah, they used it to put on ballerina displays. It's fairly simple figuring out if something is or isn't a weapon of war. You just ask one question: "Was it used a lot?" and if the answer is no, then that's because it wasn't effective. The proof is in the pudding as they say. If no one is using it, then there's a good reason for that. There's a reason every civilization used the sword, spear, axe, bow, and some form of polearm. Because they work. The kusarigama is so dependent on all of the factors being perfect for its use that it's impossible to imagine it on a battlefield. First of all there's no way of preventing the chain from striking friendlies all around you. Secondly, trees, horses, buildings, anything gets in the way and it tangles and becomes pointless. And neutralizing that chain is as simple as just attacking in the moment when it's moving backwards, or not allowing your opponent to start spinning it in the first place, or using a scabbard to entangle it, and then just cutting your opponent to pieces with your sword, because all they have left is a tiny pick, with no hand protection, and no reach. Not to mention that even if all other factors were in your favour, your opponent still needed to also be unarmoured for it to work. Try smacking someone in the head with that little chain weight when they're wearing a helmet, they'll just laugh at you. It won't even hurt.

The kama, sure. You could kill someone with that. But you could also kill someone with a pair of scissors. As a weapon, against anything other than a knife, it's pretty useless. The reach is pathetic, the only real attack with it is the hacking motion, there's no hand protection at all, which means that you can't block swords with it because your opponent will just cut your fingers off, and it's not very heavy so it doesn't have a lot of punch. I'd be surprised if you could get through a gambeson with it. It's a farming tool, and if you get attacked when you're out harvesting the rice, I guess it's better than nothing, but you'd be insane to bring it to a battlefield.

There's a reason all of these "exotic" weapons are exotic. Because nobody wanted to use them. The kusarigama is old. It was invented in the muromachi period. So it's not like people just didn't know about them. They just didn't think they were useful. Because they aren't. There are a lot of these martial arts in the world that are invented and centered around a principle that sounds reasonable in theory, but doesn't pan out in practice. And more often than not, these martial arts have never been battle tested. They just sit around in their dojos practicing theoretical moves and counters without ever actually fighting anyone who isn't using the same techniques as themselves.

And Ubi not denying it doesn't mean anything. Real or fake, it's drumming up attention for their game, so they have no reason to go out and deny it. At least not until they are ready to announce whatever it is they're actually going to do.

I think you're confusing fantasy and reality, mate. For Honor is a game, a medieval fantasy at that, not a historical game. If we were to realistic the Knights would be the most OP faction in the game on account of their superior armor. The Kensei uses a Nodachi. That's not realistic. No one used an Nodachi unless they were on horseback. So the use of a Kama or Kusarigama is just as legit as the rest.

They'd still deny it if it wasn't true. It hurts them more to let it run on and disappoint, even infuriate fans who believe in it. Besides which, it's a lot of work to fake that whole flyer to no purpose. Trust me, it's real. Even if you don't want to believe it.

waraidako
01-15-2017, 05:34 PM
You can't compare a nodachi to a kusarigama. The nodachi is still a real sword, albeit a large one. The kusarigama is a valid weapon in the same way that klingon sword from Star Trek is a valid weapon. This isn't Naruto, they should stick to real weapons.

Eirmund
01-15-2017, 05:41 PM
Again, it's Medieval Fantasy, not Medieval History. They're allowed to take exotic weapons and make them functional.
If they stick to what was realistically functional, then they'll limit the types of classes they can make. What's wrong with letting them wield exotic weaponry? We have plenty of swords, spears and axes, we don't need more.

waraidako
01-15-2017, 05:57 PM
Because it's not a functional weapon. It's historical fantasy. The world in For Honor is supposed to be this world, just instead of developing into what we are today, a cataclysmic event happened, followed by 1000 years of war. It's not some alternate universe where basic logic doesn't apply. They've obviously spent a lot of time researching these weapons and the way they were used to make the game feel as real as possible, you can't then just add a weapon that never would have worked and pretend like it's somehow equivalent to a longsword or a naginata.

iHunny
01-15-2017, 06:03 PM
The world in For Honor is supposed to be this world

Got a source on this? For Honor supposed to be a alternate history?

Eirmund
01-15-2017, 06:15 PM
Because it's not a functional weapon. It's historical fantasy. The world in For Honor is supposed to be this world, just instead of developing into what we are today, a cataclysmic event happened, followed by 1000 years of war. It's not some alternate universe where basic logic doesn't apply. They've obviously spent a lot of time researching these weapons and the way they were used to make the game feel as real as possible, you can't then just add a weapon that never would have worked and pretend like it's somehow equivalent to a longsword or a naginata.

They've already taken liberties with things that aren't historical. Samurai aren't Ninja, so Orochi shouldn't be a thing. Nodachi's were meant to be wielded on horseback, too heavy to be wielding on the ground, so Kensei shouldn't be a thing. Shugoki is the only class that has a weapon that would be viable against Knights, so damage to Knights shouldn't be a thing. Peacekeeper is in plate armor, so her speed shouldn't be a thing. Tell me again how basic logic applies.

TheBearJew411
01-15-2017, 06:37 PM

I will try and find the Interview but the lead guy straight up says this is a fantasy world and not Earth. Also if you have a problem with people using weapons that were not widely used across the battlefield then you should also have problems with the Kensi and Conqueror because the nodochi and flail were not used barely at all in combat that historians know of. We actually know very little especially about how the flail might have been used, who used it or the fighting styles that were implemented in combat. There just is not a lot of historical texts or fighting manuals even depicting it much less saying how it was used. The best historians can guess is that it was used maybe to try and wrap over the top and around shields but historians are fairly certain it was rarely used. The nodochi we do know more about it was a cavalry weapon but was found to be very unwieldy and impractical and was also rarely ever used.

Dez_troi_aR
01-15-2017, 07:14 PM
I am not a weapon nerd but what i understood was, that they do not give a damn about realism when it comes to the lore or how the armors look etc. . But when it comes to fighting styles, realism matters: the characters are designed around the weapon they use and how one would actually have to fight with a Nodachi or a Dane Axe etc. Afterwards they are balanced out to make things fair, otherwise some weapons would simply be superior to others because they were designed to be superior. The last step is adding a layer of rule-of-cool, so we have some nice eye candy when the warlord uses his shield as a counterweight for his topheavy, which is impractical but looks stylish.

That means there can be any historical weapons in the game, even if they would be an unreasonable choice IRL. The only issue with the sickle-on-a-chain-thingy (i dont speak weeabooneese, pointing at axes is enough to make a weaponry choice) might be that it could be too impractical to design a balanced way of fighting around it. Reason is the surrounding. Wallstuns are quite an important thing because they guarantee heavy attacks, which is why the surrounding plays an important factor and players often fight aside of walls etc. If the raider swings his axe in a small doorway he just slams the wall, putting him in the same state he is in after an effective counter. If you swing around your tiny weeb axe on a chain, you might have a lot of issues like that and the character would be very depending on fighting in an open field, which is rare.

Eirmund
01-15-2017, 08:00 PM
I am not a weapon nerd but what i understood was, that they do not give a damn about realism when it comes to the lore or how the armors look etc. . But when it comes to fighting styles, realism matters: the characters are designed around the weapon they use and how one would actually have to fight with a Nodachi or a Dane Axe etc. Afterwards they are balanced out to make things fair, otherwise some weapons would simply be superior to others because they were designed to be superior. The last step is adding a layer of rule-of-cool, so we have some nice eye candy when the warlord uses his shield as a counterweight for his topheavy, which is impractical but looks stylish.

That means there can be any historical weapons in the game, even if they would be an unreasonable choice IRL. The only issue with the sickle-on-a-chain-thingy (i dont speak weeabooneese, pointing at axes is enough to make a weaponry choice) might be that it could be too impractical to design a balanced way of fighting around it. Reason is the surrounding. Wallstuns are quite an important thing because they guarantee heavy attacks, which is why the surrounding plays an important factor and players often fight aside of walls etc. If the raider swings his axe in a small doorway he just slams the wall, putting him in the same state he is in after an effective counter. If you swing around your tiny weeb axe on a chain, you might have a lot of issues like that and the character would be very depending on fighting in an open field, which is rare.

It's hardly weeaboo to call a weapon by it's name. Katana and Gladius just mean sword in another language. I don't care if you call it Kusarigama or Sickle with Chain, but there's no reason to be insulting. Also, there's a reason I suggested that it wasn't a Kusarigama, but a Kama. A Kama is still a ninja weapon and yes, it has very short range, but it's more viable and we don't know what the class will play like to say whether the range will make it a weaker class overall, or on par with the rest.

waraidako
01-15-2017, 08:09 PM
Got a source on this? For Honor supposed to be a alternate history?

No, but everything points to it. The names of everything in the game, from the factions to the vikings yelling valhalla, daneaxe can only exist if denmark exists. Then you straight up have the English St. George's Cross flag in one of the trailers.

They've already taken liberties with things that aren't historical. Samurai aren't Ninja, so Orochi shouldn't be a thing. Nodachi's were meant to be wielded on horseback, too heavy to be wielding on the ground, so Kensei shouldn't be a thing. Shugoki is the only class that has a weapon that would be viable against Knights, so damage to Knights shouldn't be a thing. Peacekeeper is in plate armor, so her speed shouldn't be a thing. Tell me again how basic logic applies.

Nodachi are not too heavy to wield on the ground, just as zweihänder are not too heavy to wield on the ground. Nodachi come in various sizes, from big to ridiculous. A typical nodachi weighs in at around 2-3kg, same as a zweihänder. They even mention in the Kensei video that they were once considered too unwieldy. Obviously 1000 years of warfare breeding super soldiers changed that. Knight armour is good, not impenetrable. Samurai armour was steel as well. So was the lamellar armour used by vikings. So really, it's not only a matter of knights, you shouldn't be able to cut anyone. It's a gameplay consideration, you can't make a game where you can control the character in enough detail to go for weak spots in the armour.

Also, Peacekeeper isn't wearing plate, are you being serious? Those are some leathery plates.

I will try and find the Interview but the lead guy straight up says this is a fantasy world and not Earth. Also if you have a problem with people using weapons that were not widely used across the battlefield then you should also have problems with the Kensi and Conqueror because the nodochi and flail were not used barely at all in combat that historians know of. We actually know very little especially about how the flail might have been used, who used it or the fighting styles that were implemented in combat. There just is not a lot of historical texts or fighting manuals even depicting it much less saying how it was used. The best historians can guess is that it was used maybe to try and wrap over the top and around shields but historians are fairly certain it was rarely used. The nodochi we do know more about it was a cavalry weapon but was found to be very unwieldy and impractical and was also rarely ever used.

Please link it if you find it, because everything I've seen suggests it's supposed to be an alternate history version of Earth.

Regarding the bold bit: No, no. We're not talking about weapons that were "not widely" used. They weren't used at all. Period. Not once. You will find no mention in any historical source of someone running around a battlefield swinging a weight on a chain with a little pick in the other hand. I guarantee it. It didn't happen. We know the flail was used in combat, and we know the nodachi was used in combat extensively. Those are both real weapons. Yes the flail wasn't overly popular, and it's obvious why. It's not as dumb as the kusarigama, simply because the chain isn't that long, but for the same reasons it's not a great weapon. That too is mentioned in the conqueror video, so it's not like the game is pretending otherwise.

Eirmund
01-15-2017, 08:29 PM
*sigh* I could be wrong about the Peacekeeper's armor. The thing is, the game isn't even released yet, but you seem intent on imposing YOUR version of the game instead of the version the developers wish to present. It doesn't matter what we think should and shouldn't be in the game, or whether it seems out of place. This is the Developer's world, what weapons and what else in it are their decision. In the end, they're going to put what they want into it.

Besides, why make such a big deal of it? Why does it matter? It won't change the balance, it won't hurt you ( unless you're sensitive and it hurts your feelings ), it's merely a design choice. Whether it works in real life or not, they can make it work in their game if they so choose.

TheBearJew411
01-15-2017, 08:39 PM
Please link it if you find it, because everything I've seen suggests it's supposed to be an alternate history version of Earth.

Regarding the bold bit: No, no. We're not talking about weapons that were "not widely" used. They weren't used at all. Period. Not once. You will find no mention in any historical source of someone running around a battlefield swinging a weight on a chain with a little pick in the other hand. I guarantee it. It didn't happen. We know the flail was used in combat, and we know the nodachi was used in combat extensively. Those are both real weapons. Yes the flail wasn't overly popular, and it's obvious why. It's not as dumb as the kusarigama, simply because the chain isn't that long, but for the same reasons it's not a great weapon. That too is mentioned in the conqueror video, so it's not like the game is pretending otherwise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQCmX3GySYQ He says they make a world where there is one continent separated by mountains so basically saying a fantasy land not Earth.

waraidako
01-15-2017, 09:15 PM
No, he's not basically saying that. That's your interpretation. You can just as easily interpret it as him saying that because of the geography of the world they couldn't have vikings, knights, and samurai fighting, so they decided to add a cataclysm and branch off from modern history, and squish everything together so they could have that. In fact it's probably more easier to interpret it that way, since Jason specifically mentions that a big reason for doing it is because he wanted to have the cool highly developed armour but not the gunpowder and firearms we inevitably developed. Also, if this was an alternate world, why are there vikings and samurai? They have the same names as people from our world, the same religions, the same philosophies. What a coincidence for an entirely different, definitely not Earth.

TheBearJew411
01-15-2017, 10:00 PM
Valhalla is a big part of viking culture so yes that would be there but this is pure fantasy most of these did not even exist in the same time period. This is not our world there is no one giant continent. Pangaea broke apart long before humans ever even roamed the Earth. Your argument is flawed entirely from the word go but god luck with making that make sense. This is a fantasy game for fun that just happens to have three warrior cultures in it from real world history because it is a cool and fun premise. The reason the cataclysm had to happen on this fantasy world was so that they can explain in 1,000 years nobody came up with an idea for a gun. I guess we will see who is right when the game releases and we get our hands on the campaign.

Eirmund
01-15-2017, 10:18 PM
None of this really matters in the end. There's little reason to believe that the flyer is fake. There's too much work involved to make it for no reason, there hasn't been alot of fake season passes made in the video gaming world lately, and the info is leaked, which doesn't mean the same as fabricated. So if that is a Centurion and a Ninja wielding a Kama or Kusarigama or if it's an ability, they're here to stay. Either suck it up, or don't play. Your choice. Either way, i'm done with this tedious conversation. Peace, people.

Dez_troi_aR
01-16-2017, 01:24 AM
It's hardly weeaboo to call a weapon by it's name. Katana and Gladius just mean sword in another language. I don't care if you call it Kusarigama or Sickle with Chain, but there's no reason to be insulting. Also, there's a reason I suggested that it wasn't a Kusarigama, but a Kama. A Kama is still a ninja weapon and yes, it has very short range, but it's more viable and we don't know what the class will play like to say whether the range will make it a weaker class overall, or on par with the rest.

Stop confusing me with you weeb-talk, i only know the "big axe", the "not so big axe" and the "small axe" (also referred to as "girl axe") which is suficcent to pillage and burn.

hoangcf
01-16-2017, 08:16 AM
Roman warriors were not to be screwed with

Haemmerst0rm
01-16-2017, 04:24 PM
But doesn't fit in the current game concept even a bit and was outdating in medieval times from the aspect of fighting power

A knight for example had much more efficient equipment, a samurai way more technique and a viking way more rage and also more experience with metall working then the romans had around the 4th century.

If the legionary was so efficient, he would have been still used in late medieval or maybe even in the renaissance :p

+1 to this! Anyways, Ubisoft might have made changes to its armor in some way somehow so we're not sure if these are really Roman warriors or Byzantium fighters with medieval armor....

Dez_troi_aR
01-16-2017, 05:57 PM
I do not engage in the history talk much here, but while the roman military equipment might have been outdated in the later centuries, their military strategy, ressource concentration capabilities and the intstitutional design of their polity where superior to many concepts common in medieval europe, which was characterised by overlapping power structures and undefined competences.

But we are not talking about realism here, only if it would fit the style of the game. And when i was 10 years old, playing in my sandbox, i was thinking "YEAH, i bet those vikings cant invade my mighty samurai castle before the knights come and SLAUGHTER THEM ALL MUAAHAHAHEEEEE". I was not thinking "oh and lets not forget the frankophonic allemanic warrior tribes of the rhine areas who might have had some interest in interrupting the roman supply lines as i read in de bello gallico. I also should include some saracenic warriors which where on the height of their power around the time the viking attacs concentrated a lot of political and material ressources in the north of the carolingian sphere and henceforth lead to christianisation and the rise of the scandinavian kingdoms"

iHunny
01-16-2017, 06:04 PM
Somone know how long the Byzantines used "legionares" in there army? Cos I know they had them in the earlie days but not sure how long they lasted and I have failed to find a answer.

Novobarrel
01-17-2017, 07:32 PM
Somone know how long the Byzantines used "legionares" in there army? Cos I know they had them in the earlie days but not sure how long they lasted and I have failed to find a answer.

You mean the late Eastern Roman legion system with Comitatenses and Limitanei? That lasted to the later half of the 600's when it got replaced by the Theme system.

If you mean well trained and disciplined armored infantry with big shields that fought in close order with swords and spears. They kept that to the very end. The biggest difference was that missile troops and cavalry were much more important than in the older legionary days.

iHunny
01-17-2017, 08:18 PM
You mean the late Eastern Roman legion system with Comitatenses and Limitanei? That lasted to the later half of the 600's when it got replaced by the Theme system.

If you mean well trained and disciplined armored infantry with big shields that fought in close order with swords and spears. They kept that to the very end. The biggest difference was that missile troops and cavalry were much more important than in the older legionary days.

So the argument of being to far apart in years do not hold up.