PDA

View Full Version : Closed beta 17 days before release?

bent_toe
01-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Lol....back when i was young it was called a demo.
A beta is a state where Q&A and invited test the game for bugs and errors and also give input on different features.
A beta is built to be able to change certain implementations based on feedback.

This....this is just to build hype.

iHunny
01-10-2017, 09:06 PM
A beta is a state where Q&A and invited test the game for bugs and errors and also give input on different features.

Perhaps. Could also be there to test some stuff befor release.

damon1085
01-10-2017, 09:14 PM

I'm with you. 17 days before the release date leaves 0 time for fixing code or bugs. Perhaps they'll get an idea of what things need to be changed/modified in their first software update, but there's no way it'll be ready for the release date on the 14th. All the same, I'm going to do what I can to keep that weekend open to play this game as much as possible! ... assuming I'm selected to participate of course.

FredEx919
01-10-2017, 09:18 PM
You would be surprised how much can be done in a short amount of time these days. Either way, we'll be diving deep into any and all feedback that is left during the event.

damon1085
01-10-2017, 09:28 PM
I'm sure a lot can be accomplished in a short period of time. Especially given a team of dedicated and motivated people. However, printing, packing, and shipping physical copies of the game takes time. Exactly how much time I can't say, but I read 2 weeks (14 days) is typical to allow for all that. That leaves 2 days after the end of the CB, which isn't much to collect what I assume is going to be a ton of feedback, discus it, decide on solutions and implement said solutions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still really excited to play it! Especially since it may be the only chance I get to play this game...

BananaBlighter
01-10-2017, 10:12 PM
^^ Day 1 patch.

Joe_Corleone
01-10-2017, 11:48 PM
I'm sure a lot can be accomplished in a short period of time. Especially given a team of dedicated and motivated people. However, printing, packing, and shipping physical copies of the game takes time. Exactly how much time I can't say, but I read 2 weeks (14 days) is typical to allow for all that. That leaves 2 days after the end of the CB, which isn't much to collect what I assume is going to be a ton of feedback, discus it, decide on solutions and implement said solutions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still really excited to play it! Especially since it may be the only chance I get to play this game...

You do know the development team doesn't do the packaging right? They work on the game. So it's still 17 days of fixes if necessary, and a day 1 patch.

damon1085
01-11-2017, 01:38 AM
And if you had read my initial post, I said...

Perhaps they'll get an idea of what things need to be changed/modified in their first software update

So yes, if they do a patch on day 1, then there ya go. Going that route has it's own issues, but there's no need to fight it out here, so I'm dropping it.

Point is, I'm still excited to try this game... but I'm also really frustrated with a lot of the things Ubi is doing to it... it's a very strange dichotomy, lol.

TheBearJew411
01-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Not that this is related but look at Titanfall 2. A " Tech Test" was put out weeks before release on consecutive weekends and lots of small balancing changes and UI issues were fixed thanks to it and Respawn produced one of the best FPS games of the year in my opinion and many others. just be sure you leave feedback for developers and see if some of the changes wanted are handled when the games release. One thing I hope to find changed from the closed Alpha is the Orochi Deflect as it felt far too easy to perform and made the character unbalanced. We will see.

VodkaSlam
01-12-2017, 03:15 AM

That is only for the closed beta, usually a closed beta is between a few weeks to a month before release. While an Open Beta comes out about a week or so before Release. But considering how much they are hyping up this game i dont think they will have an Open Beta. Its a Business Strategy which many developers do to have consumers buy their products. But that is a conversation for another time.

ShuyinVardiz
01-12-2017, 04:48 AM
The feedback provided during the alpha/technical tests has been quite detailled and diverse, so I assume they could get a good point of view for everything they'd need to know. That doesnt mean everything will be balanced perfectly, but a short closed beta could be interpreted as a sign of confidence. During the past months they got a broader and deeper view for the mechanics and classes and how they are handled differently in all kinds of situations and even though Ubisoft surely isnt my favorite publisher (no offense guys, but with CD Project Red and Bethesda Game Studios showing how you can seriously provide a game FOR gamers I have no intend to lower my standards. I just tolerate the gaps between different publishers motivation now); I still am sure they know how to work with player feedback to influence but not ruin a game. The closed beta, in my eyes, will probably more focusely be for pushing the hype itself and less - but still too - to close last gaps in balancing, stability, whatever will come up during the four days of the closed beta.

keizersozer
01-12-2017, 03:52 PM
Hey guys!!!

did you forget this is an always online game???????
so no worries about last minute fix your always be online to get the latest patches ;)

Pope138
01-12-2017, 06:50 PM

Stress testing?
Could be that this beta's focus isn't entirely dedicated to design choices or gameplay mechanics, but to check out how MP operates with a population larger than what was available for the alpha.