PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to assassinate Assassin's Creed?

king-hailz
01-06-2017, 09:45 PM
I agree. What about you guys?

https://youtu.be/wqq91-B1V3M

cawatrooper9
01-06-2017, 11:29 PM
I agree. What about you guys?

Nope ;)

JamesFaith007
01-07-2017, 12:04 AM
No.

Who wants to quit can go but why destroy fun to others?

Helforsite
01-07-2017, 12:17 AM
It's a very one-sided video and I disagree, because there is so much that AC still has to offer.

Farlander1991
01-07-2017, 12:59 AM
I won't go too in-depth (because that would require spending too much time), but here's what I can say about his points:

1. Regarding seeing the mechanics - that's inevitable the more time you spend with a game, as all games are sets of mechanics and eventually you figure them all out. He just hasn't spent as much time with Uncharted as he did with AC (even if he did replay Uncharted a bunch of times). Personally, as a game designer, I just automatically analyze the mechanics and game structure and everything, but it doesn't prevent me from being immersed or enjoying experiences that I like.

2. Core pillars - I've already talked about this in-depth in some other thread on Ubi AC forums, but in short - core pillars are a basic foundation of design and decision-making process. Each game and each franchise has those. It's not a blocker for innovation or whatever it's implied in the video.

3. Basis of the story - if you go into such simplifications, then you can call the basis of every Uncharted story 'uncovering an ancient mystery', basis of every GTA story 'committing crimes', and basis of every Star Wars story 'light side and dark side fight each other'. Yeah, there's Assassins and Templars in every game, but there's a lot that can be done in terms of what and how to tell. Heck, a bunch of AC games are an example of that, so...

4. "Modern day is what made each game different from the other" - I'm sorry, but this statement just doesn't make sense. It's the historical periods and locations that distinguish each game from one another, not modern day - the whole purpose of modern day is to be the connective tissue in the franchise and therefore to be the one thing that doesn't differentiate much between games (to keep it whole).

5. All Ubisoft big-budget games are sequels. While certainly Ubisoft makes a bunch of AAA game sequels... right now it actually steadily introduces new distinctive AAA IPs on a regular manner, and taking risks with those. And that's something that has been happening for the past several years, actually. Let's take a look at new triple-A IPs that Ubisoft puts out each year:
2017 - For Honor
2016 - The Division, Steep
2015 - Rainbow Six Siege - while existing Rainbow Six IP, this is essentially a total reimagining of it that proved to be very successful.
2014 - Watch_Dogs, The Crew
2013 - No new AAA IPs
2012 - No new AAA IPs
2011 - No new AAA IPs
2010 - No new AAA IPs
2009 - No new AAA IPs (though this was the year that Just Dance has appeared which is pretty popular, but I can't find info if it's AAA or not)
2008 - No new AAA IPs
2007 - Assassin's Creed

So, after 2007, Ubisoft didn't have any new huge AAA IP (though it did have a bunch of new smaller IPs, ranging from Child of Light to I Am Alive to From Dust to ZombieU to whatnot) until 2014... but for some reason before it did take big creative risks and now it doesn't?

6. 'Syndicate, Unity, Rogue' didn't sell well - well.... Syndicate did underpeform in comparison to other games, but it sold 5 million retail copies by now (if you take a look at vgchartz.com). Which is a fair amount - it's more than a fair share of big budget games sell (and there's no open information regarding digital sales). Unity sold 8 million retail copies. Which is close to the 10 million mark that is the average AC retail sales amount. Rogue indeed sold very little in comparison - 2.3 million retail copies, but it was also released the same year as Unity and wasn't the focus, so it makes sense. So when it comes to sales, I think his argument makes sense only when it comes to latest AAA releases from different studios.

7. "They should just make a historical franchise, a franchise just based on history" - I don't understand how he expects that to fix all the points that he has made. If it's a franchise and a brand like he said, then it has got to have a common core between each of the game, in terms of mechanics at the least (because otherwise why people who like the brand would keep returning to it if the core is absolutely different every time? Then it's got to be different brands), but most of his arguments are against having a common core in the first place.

Phew, and this is the short version of comment. Anyway. AC is not a perfect franchise, I'm not arguing for that. I mean, most of you know I have a blog series dedicated to looking at what I consider to be successful and not successful parts of each game. So there's room for improvement for sure. But this video is more about that particular person being tired of the franchise (which can happen with any franchise, some people are getting tired with Star Wars for example), which I totally understand - but it's not good arguments for 'assassinating' AC.

ERICATHERINE
01-07-2017, 03:45 AM
What about you guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H07zYvkNYL8

joshoolhorst
01-07-2017, 11:07 AM
Gameplay can always be improved and story well I kinda agree with that wish we had more secret orders though

Edit: Well I don't have much fate into the story anymore it is becoming a stand alone series and a bit of a mess mostly. I won't flinch if it dies and this is someone who posted the hell out of this place

rob1990312
01-07-2017, 11:19 AM
years ago you would have had 10 pages worth of people disagreeing with you, now there isnt enough to care, only the few die hards that are always here
i think they could pull the plug on it, there is no real story to it its becoming like a spořts game like fifa
i love assassins creed thats why i still visit this place but i dont have faith in ubi to pull it together anymore, the lore is becoming one giant mess with each new game or MOVIE condradicting the next

ERICATHERINE
01-07-2017, 06:09 PM
...with each new game or MOVIE condradicting the next

That's not quite true. For the movie maybe I didn't saw a certain amount of contradiction, since I just saw it one time, but for the games, I played everyone of them countless times already and I never saw/heared any contradiction in them. The only contradiction I remember hearing about wasn't even totally in the games. Someone working for ubisoft (I don't remember who) said that Clay (subject 16, if you prefer) saying that Desmond had a son, at the end of the brotherhood's glyphs, was just him being crazy. Then, with Syndicate we learned that Desmond really had a son. From my point of view, it's not "the games are contradicting themselves". It's "a game contradicted someone from ubisoft". Of course, feel free to try to proov me wrong if you want. Maybe you'll convince me, but even then, I doubt this would make me like less ac. After all star wars vii had worst thing than that and I still liked it. ^-^

Megas_Doux
01-07-2017, 10:54 PM
AC has to do a Tomb Raider: take long vacation and re new. Underworld and legend suffered from stale in both acclaim and sales,with the exception that those game didn't get 10% of the hate Ubi got, for instance.

I do believe AC has GOTY potential all over the place -Yes! I know those games don't grow on trees- but annualization among other things are holding that potential. Imagine an AC with all its really good and original elements in the likes of parkour navigation through open worlds set on "other eras", the overall lore of historical conspiracies dating from the times of TWCB to modern times developed by Rockstar or CD Projekt red????

SixKeys
01-08-2017, 12:33 AM
years ago you would have had 10 pages worth of people disagreeing with you, now there isnt enough to care, only the few die hards that are always here

It's always quiet around this time of the year since there are no news, and with AC taking last year off from games it's doubly so. Much of the fanbase seems to have migrated to Reddit as well, which is why the forums are seeing less activity overall.

Signed,

A Die-Hard Who Is Always Here :p

RobertMcSassin
01-08-2017, 03:23 PM
No...

It'd be nice if I felt the same excitement and awe for these post-ACIII games as I had when I first played through the Desmond era...But that's not to say they weren't decent enough...Just not...all that great...

Besides, I'm sure that some of it is just me feeling a lot different in myself to how I did then...Being that much older and all... :D ...

Or...They just need to focus the games' stories (more and better story) and actually listen to the players instead of ignoring them outright...*Coughproperambientmusic-toggleablehoods-hiddenbladefightingcough*...

crusader_prophet
01-09-2017, 09:16 PM
As long as there is "history", there will be Assassin's Creed because you know History is their Playground.

RVSage
01-09-2017, 10:22 PM
Not happening, the way I see it. We will get atleast one more game, i.e Empire. But post Empire, reception will decide, if they continue, The franchise is at it's lowest point now. To be honest, there is a lot of pressure on the Empire team to deliver, now that the movie has had poor reception

SixKeys
01-10-2017, 01:46 AM
Not happening, the way I see it. We will get atleast one more game, i.e Empire. But post Empire, reception will decide, if they continue, The franchise is at it's lowest point now. To be honest, there is a lot of pressure on the Empire team to deliver, now that the movie has had poor reception

The movie may not be doing as badly as everyone thinks:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/01/09/michael-fassbenders-assassins-creed-kicks-overseas-box-office-butt/#6a138bdd1e0e

They are going to have to be careful how they manage the brand going forward, that's for sure. People have been seriously burned out by overexposure and each game feeling too similar to the previous ones. If Empire can ignite the spark again, I think they have a good basis to keep the expanded universe running for a while yet. They just need to prove they are more about quality than quantity.

rob1990312
01-10-2017, 08:37 AM
it only takes one good game with good direction to put the series back on track im just afraid by the time that might happen no one will care anymore

Helforsite
01-10-2017, 10:05 AM
If the next game is not succesful, they will probably wait about 5 years and then reboot, but I doubt Assassins Creed will ever die.

Sorrosyss
01-10-2017, 01:00 PM
In my view the next title is make or break. 2014's Unity launch debacle is still felt even now, and arguably impacted on Syndicate and perhaps even the movie. I truly hope if nothing else, they have an extended QA on the technical side - as Ubi is getting a terrible rep for buggy releases.

That being said, the IP theoretically could go on forever. There is enough of history and the Isu to make stories for a lifetime. Equally those stories have to be engaging and with a real purpose to them - something sorely lacking from the more recent titles. In my mind they need to look back to go forward. The Ezio Collection really shows how much they used to get right with the tiered story across the modern day and the Isu. We need that detailed engagement again, and some multiplayer - to compete with market rivals. In short, the next game needs to be a standpoint in the open world genre. Learn from the mistakes, and come back stronger. I'm keeping the faith, but if there is another launch disaster, I think that will be it for the games for the foreseeable future.

crusader_prophet
01-10-2017, 03:38 PM
The movie may not be doing as badly as everyone thinks:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/01/09/michael-fassbenders-assassins-creed-kicks-overseas-box-office-butt/#6a138bdd1e0e

I don't know what the definition of "kicks butt" is per the author of the article, but $147m worldwide gross is far far away from the movie being a break even for the studio. Considering the ad campaign they have had, I'd say the movie cost approx $180m. Also, let's say the studio gets 50% on average of the revenue (which could be as low as 25% in China) across all released theaters, it needs to make at least $360m - $400m worldwide to be considered not a box office flop/profitable.

pacmanate
01-10-2017, 05:02 PM
If the next game fails then yes, I would say so.

The past few AC games have been very mediocre. Ubi realised this and took a year out for the first time since 2007. If this years AC game still fails then something is terribly wrong.

I however, have faith.