PDA

View Full Version : 36 cookies in 5 clicks

JG6_Oddball
05-17-2004, 04:50 AM
now i know why it takes so long to load a page here, i changed my browser setting's to "prompt" before excepting cookies, clicking 5 topics i was hit with a total of 36!!!! anyone ever get this?

S!

http://www.geocities.com/rbmercsguild/pics/havespandua.txt

JG6_Oddball
05-17-2004, 04:50 AM
now i know why it takes so long to load a page here, i changed my browser setting's to "prompt" before excepting cookies, clicking 5 topics i was hit with a total of 36!!!! anyone ever get this?

S!

http://www.geocities.com/rbmercsguild/pics/havespandua.txt

Heavy_Weather
05-17-2004, 06:22 AM
well they prolly arent harmful cookies. A cookie is a very small text file placed on your hard drive by a Web Page server. It is essentially your identification card, and cannot be executed as code or deliver viruses. It is uniquely yours and can only be read by the server that gave it to you. But having programs such as Ad-aware is a must now days. The issue with cookies has seemed to gotten worse since the terrorist attacks in my opinion. I wouldnt doubt that the government is using this tactic to monitor certain people.

Heres a snip from a newspaper on cookies and the government:

WASHINGTON--The U.S. Senate on Thursday voted unanimously to slap restrictions on a controversial Pentagon data-mining program that critics say would amount to a domestic spying apparatus. By unanimous consent, the Senate inserted a moratorium on the program into a massive spending bill, which was approved by a 69-29 vote late Thursday.

The vote represents an unusual triumph of privacy concerns over the Bush administration's arguments that the Pentagon's Total Information Awareness (TIA) program would be useful for national security. If fully implemented, TIA would link databases from sources such as credit card companies, medical insurers and motor vehicle agencies in hopes of snaring terrorists..."

"To fly a combat mission is not a trip under the moon. Every attack, every bombing is a dance with death."
- Serafima Amsova-Taranenko: Noggle, Ann (1994): A Dance with Death.