PDA

View Full Version : Jumping the shark moments in AC

SixKeys
12-29-2016, 12:16 PM
For those who might be unfamiliar with the term:

"jump the shark

informal

(of a television series or film) reach a point when far-fetched events are included merely for the sake of novelty, indicative of a decline in quality."

It is generally considered the point of no return, when the series in question has gone so far off-track that many fans find it very difficult to enjoy future instalments.

Please remember these are highly subjective. Almost every single franchise in existence, even the most beloved films, books, comics, TV shows and games have been accused of jumping the shark at various times and people rarely seem to agree on the exact moment, or even if such a moment exists at this point.

Have there been moments in AC that you, personally, consider "jumping the shark"? A moment(s) where you suspension of disbelief was stretched beyond the breaking point? Where you could no longer recognize what you fell in love with in the first place? A moment that you felt was a turning point for the worse and from which the series has never quite recovered?

crusader_prophet
12-29-2016, 12:23 PM
I take it you just saw the movie?

SixKeys
12-29-2016, 01:39 PM
I take it you just saw the movie?

Lol, nope.

RobertMcSassin
12-29-2016, 02:24 PM
Well...I wasn't the biggest fan of Arno's precognition/possible wossnames thing...Found that a little odd...Though I didn't dislike Unity, as such...There's quite a bit in that which either confused me altogether, or never really grabbed me in the first place...Certainly never got the fuss about whatsername, Elise?..that's for certain...

Actually, I never got the whole Sage thing either...That leaves me cold...As does this whole "Bishop" muppetry they have at the moment...

But my biggest problem with the series is the whole Optional Objectives thing...

So, are we supposed to immerse ourselves in the conceit that we are Desmond, lying in an Aminus, the machine which lets us revisit DNA-based memories as they originally happened or are we supposed to not really be part of the story because quite clearly the optional objectives mean we really are simply playing a game, and playing it in a very specific way at that...(Because Desmond can't have any objectives other than "Find memory in the DNA and read it"...Like he did in the first AC and ACII...

I have enough trouble with the whole, "Ezio/Altair didn't kill civilians" thing, simply because if a civilian is killed, then that's because Ezio killed them back then...

Yes, they're games...Yes, I complain enough about people crying "Immersion!!!" around everywhere...But if that's what the makers really want, a completely immersive story then stuff off with the optional objectives!!...How we do it is how it was done!!...

Wait...I seemed to have gone off on one again...Oooops...

However...That's the one major thing that has consistently let the series down, I think...And so, to me they take the whole thing from being us watching someone on tele jumping the shark, to the level of it being the shark jumping out of the tele in order to bite us on the arse, personally speaking, of course... :D ...

Ta for listening... :) ...Appreciated... :D ...

Sushiglutton
12-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Revelations killed the MD plot for me. Brotherhood ended with a mindblowing twist for characters I was invested in. Then they followed it up with ... just ignoring it all together. Wtf. I also thought the Animus island was a dumb concept. To make things worse, those block puzzle sequences eeewwww.

Then the contrived: Desmond much touch orb to save the world but then he will die- ending of 3 lol.

Kind of hard to come back from stuff like that...

Lol, nope.

Does it premier the 11th in Finland too?

SixKeys
12-29-2016, 07:02 PM
Does it premier the 11th in Finland too?

It's actually already out, meant to see it yesterday but there was a change of plans. Got my tickets for tomorrow. :)

As for me, the first jump-the-shark moment was the hookblade. Up until then, the gadgets had been realistic, many of them based in history, even Leonardo's machines which seem fantastical. Sure, they were only prototypes historically, but the theory was there. The hidden gun may have been pushing it, but again, Leo was a genius so he could have made it work.
The hookblade, as it appeared in ACR, was the first gadget that didn't fit. There is NO way that a metal piece that thin and fragile could carry a man of Ezio's imposing frame. And it wasn't designed by Leonardo da Vinci, certified genius, so it didn't even have that excuse. At that point, the series decided to forego the guideline of making their gadgets cool but believable, and simply settle for cool. I predicted that there was no going back after that and I was right. Now we have even more ridiculous gadgets like Syndicate's rope launcher which is something we can't even build with the technology of today, let alone in the 1800s.

So, the hookblade annoyed me, but the definitive jumping the shark moment happened at the end of Syndicate, when we see Galina dodging bullets by doing cartwheels. Modern day was always supposed to be our anchor to reality. The Animus can still be used to explain much of the tomfoolery in the historical sections, like leaps of faith from heights that would normally kill a person. (Desmond did it in ACB, but it was still from a reasonable height.) But I'm sorry, no level of suspension of disbelief can stretch so far as that stupidity in Syndicate. Again you've traded believability for some complete, illogical nonsense. The best thing about the MD characters was that they felt grounded in reality. In AC3, they avoided HUD elements whenever Desmond was in the real world. They even planned to give him some pirouette fighting moves, but decided against it because it wasn't realistic. That's great! So why, oh why, did they have to ruin it with Galina? Once you have her getting out of deadly situations by performing circus tricks, why not go all the way and make her sprout wings? It's about as believable at this point. You can't even claim Rule of Cool, because it's not cool, just stupid.

marvelfannumber
12-29-2016, 07:08 PM
I'd say either the endings of Unity or Syndicate, because they were both so bad they made me literally say "AC just jumped the shark".

RA503
12-30-2016, 12:52 AM
Me was Yohalem interview whem he sounds like that the lore is a mess and don't exist overral planing anymore,but I still have faith in the series ...

Megas_Doux
12-30-2016, 02:46 AM
- Syndicate "boss battle".
- Vittoria Agli Assassini.
- Unity's launch.
- Two "main" games released in the same year.
- The recycle of NY from AC III to Rogue.

SixKeys
12-30-2016, 03:53 AM
- Syndicate "boss battle".
- Vittoria Agli Assassini.
- Unity's launch.
- Two "main" games released in the same year.
- The recycle of NY from AC III to Rogue.

Most of these don't actually qualify as "a far-fetched event included merely for the sake of novelty".

Sigma 1313
12-30-2016, 04:47 AM
I didn't think it at the time, but when Desmond killed Lucy, as great as it was, it was the beginning of when it started to go down hill. But there a quite a few times when AC seemed to jump the shark other than that.

- Revelations last words "I know what to do"
- Hookblade
- AC3 ending with Desmond dying
- All of Rogue
- Napoleon in Unity
- Rope Launcher in Syndicate

Actually as I was watching the ending to Revelations, I said "If he looks around and says I know what to do, I will throw this controller." Guess who lost a battery under the couch.

crusader_prophet
12-30-2016, 05:44 PM
Animus VR Set and test subjects in every workstation of fake "office"
Helix
AC Initiates Concept
Rifts in AC Unity and AC Syndicate
Sages

cawatrooper9
12-30-2016, 11:26 PM
I'd say:

- The inclusion of multiplayer with Brotherhood
- Desmond's Death
- Rogue's weird MD ending
- The first Robespierre memory, the party with the tree
- Unity's "Hey, looks like this was all for nothing, but good job anyway" ending
- The Parlaiment memory block in Syndicate

pacmanate
12-30-2016, 11:49 PM
That zipline thing in Syndicate, makes no sense whatsoever.

joshoolhorst
12-31-2016, 12:26 AM
The hook blade from Revelations, the batclaw from Syndicate, The phantom blade from Unity these weapons. The hidden gun was kinda taking things to far but I can buy that over the hook blade that can carry Ezios weight and help climb objects everyday, the batclaw thing I just don't believe that thing okay it is not the reason why I love this series! The phantom blade doesn't work oke it doesn't work!

Helix: I don't believe for a second that I am playing a game memory based... thing in AC which is a game with a universe that sells... Censored AC games eh aah uh I don't consider it canon and never will!
The initiates ******** I don't believe the Assassin's calls out gamers to ask them don't argue with me over that please I have a voice and opinion.
Assassin's working with pirates sorry but I just have a hard time believing that.
Something that annoys me is that making Abstergo the main ''villian'' in the MD is not giving enough free roam in the story and Assassin's and Templars have to do with almost every conflict is going to far for me personally and makes a MD AC game almost impossible with Abstergo as main ''villian'' because if you take them down almost no AC game is possible so they have to regroup at the end with a new company... Just a complaint I have nothing major.
The MD cliffhangger in Brotherhood was big and Revelations just kinda ****ed it.
The hole Precursor Box and the entire Rogue story arc.
Sages needed more development but are basicly dropped.
Galinas special scene in Syndicate
AC3 Desmond ending
Napoleon in Unity
Unity itself
Yeah maybe we should be glad with having less story in the next games

pacmanate
12-31-2016, 12:38 AM
We don't need less story, we just need a more grounded story for the universe that has already been set.

crusader_prophet
12-31-2016, 02:02 AM
We don't need less story, we just need a more grounded story for the universe that has already been set.

Did you intend to post this in the other thread about "less narrative focus in future games"?