PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on the Assassin's Creed Movie

lordmagic.mt
12-21-2016, 10:47 PM
Have you watched the Assassin's Creed movie already?
Or maybe you're not going to watch it?

In any case, I'm interested in your opinion on the Assassin's Creed Movie for my PhD studies on the role of Games in Storytelling.
Thus, I would be very grateful if you could spend at most 10-15 minutes filling this questionnaire.

https://goo.gl/forms/tZ5vF2w3HKeWFLL43

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Jonathan Barbara
PhD student @ Leuphana University of Luneburg, Germany

strigoi1958
12-22-2016, 12:23 AM
I have not watched it yet, unfortunately the fans screening in London coincided with family commitments that I could not miss. However I am going to see the movie when it is released. The basis for the Assassin's creed Modern day to historical interaction via memories and DNA is very clever and I'm not sure if people will initially understand that. But I know the fans definitely will be immersed immediately. What I am hoping to see is a foundation, a beginning, on which further movies can expand into action and intrigue without having to explain why or how it can be done.

It is always the same with any new franchise, the beginning is all about setting the story and defining characters and explaining reasons, so I'm thinking of this movie as the first chapter of a book, or even the very first Assassin's Creed game... setting the story, the lore and giving enough to make me want more... with a lot of action, mystery and twists to follow in the next movies.

GhostAssassinLT
12-22-2016, 07:02 AM
My son and I are definately going to see the movie once it gets to the theaters here in Sweden. Unfortunately I see it's not gonna open until after the holidays. :(

Butcherbird59
12-22-2016, 07:50 AM
If it's on Netflix I'll watch it even PG-13 rating is kiddie stuff...

However, paying for a cinema TICKET, nope, that's not me!

strigoi1958
12-22-2016, 02:31 PM
I'm going to love it, and I'm already hyped. The cast and director are excellent and the story is what makes all fans of Assassin's Creed love the games...

Jonathon, I like your philosophy on learning and gaming :)

Out of curiosity... was your choice of the Assassin's Creed movie influenced by the set locations? Malta is beautiful and will undoubtedly add to the movies impact on the audience.

naumaan
12-24-2016, 09:00 PM
Well, for me the movie was a treat, loved it and in my heart I saluted Ubisoft and Micheal Fassbender for an excellent try. But it is yet again not for new audience.

But it is just my opinion.

Lysette88
12-25-2016, 05:53 AM
I am as well going to watch it as soon as it will be available here - can take a while though, so I am not sure, if I can contribute to the survey.

Edit: Hm, I just looked at the reviews and there is a big discrepancy between what people say about the movie and what critics say about it. Of course one could assume that the majority of those watching this movie might in one way or the other be AC players and so there could be a bias towards wanting to like this movie. I heard, that the Abstergo part is the focus and not the historical part - well, this is putting me off, I give a damn about Abstergo and the present day stuff - if this is the focus of the movie, I am not really longing for watching it. Another thing in the reviews what is putting me off is fast paced cut scenes and jumping back and forth between present day and historical setting - I did not like this in the games already and this is not what I want to see in a movie.

So far my impression from not watching the movie, but reading and watching reviews - there is not really much in those, which makes me excited about it.

This said, and to be fair - I might not be a typical AC fan, even I like the games a lot - I am more kind of a history tourist in those games - I play the story part, but just because I have to, I could well do without it and especially without the present day stuff and the mystical nonsense stuff like the apple of Eden. Well, to me it is not appealing, but that is not the fault of anyone really. I might just play AC games by the wrong reasons - but to me those are right.

Will I still watch the movie?- Certainly, I have to see it for myself.

lordmagic.mt
12-25-2016, 09:47 AM
My son and I are definately going to see the movie once it gets to the theaters here in Sweden. Unfortunately I see it's not gonna open until after the holidays. :(

Would love to hear your opinion once you've watched it :D

lordmagic.mt
12-25-2016, 09:49 AM
If it's on Netflix I'll watch it even PG-13 rating is kiddie stuff...

However, paying for a cinema TICKET, nope, that's not me!

Wherever you watch it, I'm counting on you to share your opinion of the film, once you've watched it, with me through my questionnaire :)

Thanks! https://goo.gl/forms/eyZ6gDuHqJ6O889W2

lordmagic.mt
12-25-2016, 09:50 AM
I'm going to love it, and I'm already hyped. The cast and director are excellent and the story is what makes all fans of Assassin's Creed love the games...

Jonathon, I like your philosophy on learning and gaming :)

Out of curiosity... was your choice of the Assassin's Creed movie influenced by the set locations? Malta is beautiful and will undoubtedly add to the movies impact on the audience.

Thanks strigoi :)

Actually this is my third study, I've done Angry Birds and Warcraft earlier this year. Of course seeing my country in the landscape makes it more special (or does it diminish its credibility? )

Looking forward to your opinion in the questionnaire! :D

https://goo.gl/forms/eyZ6gDuHqJ6O889W2

lordmagic.mt
12-25-2016, 09:52 AM
I am as well going to watch it as soon as it will be available here - can take a while though, so I am not sure, if I can contribute to the survey.

Edit: Hm, I just looked at the reviews and there is a big discrepancy between what people say about the movie and what critics say about it. Of course one could assume that the majority of those watching this movie might in one way or the other be AC players and so there could be a bias towards wanting to like this movie. I heard, that the Abstergo part is the focus and not the historical part - well, this is putting me off, I give a damn about Abstergo and the present day stuff - if this is the focus of the movie, I am not really longing for watching it. Another thing in the reviews what is putting me off is fast paced cut scenes and jumping back and forth between present day and historical setting - I did not like this in the games already and this is not what I want to see in a movie.

So far my impression from not watching the movie, but reading and watching reviews - there is not really much in those, which makes me excited about it.

This said, and to be fair - I might not be a typical AC fan, even I like the games a lot - I am more kind of a history tourist in those games - I play the story part, but just because I have to, I could well do without it and especially without the present day stuff and the mystical nonsense stuff like the apple of Eden. Well, to me it is not appealing, but that is not the fault of anyone really. I might just play AC games by the wrong reasons - but to me those are right.

Thanks Lysette.

Yes the influence of the media is part of the study but not really a main part - and I'm not in a hurry so I'm sure your contribution will matter :D

Also, the questionnaire is open to as broad an audience as possible, even including non-AC fans - so don't worry :)

Thanks again!

https://goo.gl/forms/eyZ6gDuHqJ6O889W2

naumaan
12-25-2016, 09:16 PM

watch the movie and then decide !

ShadyFusion23
12-27-2016, 08:51 PM
I'm going to try to write an unbiased opinion but it may be more biased.

1) Movie depics why the Templars are after the Apple, what it does and what it will be used for. To remove all forms of free will, freedom of through so the templars will be in control of everyone.
2) most of the assassins' have been locked up by Abstergo as a prisioner in order to get information from the Animus which is different than the game due to it having long robotic arm and the user is attached to it and linked to their computers through a cranial attachment at the back of the neck.
3) Templars try to convert the main assassin character to their site until the Assassin learns of their true intentions and mounts an assunt at Abstergo with the help from a few assassins.

**SPOILERS** The movie itself tries very hard to separate itself from the gaming crowd. Gamers know the story so they may more or less be looking for the same story in the movie. If that is the case, you are not going to get it aside the the Apple of one piece of Eden the Templars are after. I think they were trying to go for a wider audience and be different instead of telling the same story compressed in a 2 hour format. I'm fine with this as this movie exist in a different universe compared to the games.

The movie did tend to have some plot holes. Especially when you are trying to figure out how did all those assassin's get killed. You are left there assumed that they were simply captured but no reason given to how. I am also perplexed *spoilers* how his father killing his mother was in the best interest for the creed. Unless the mother and his father made a pack that if something were to happen, he'd killer to avoid her being caught and to prevent information from being extracted. There is no desmond miles so it's completely not tied to the video gamer series whatsoever. But perhaps it would be better if it starred him instead of bringing in a new guy completely?

Don't keep your expectations to high. It's not a bad movie, it's not entirely great either. However, it's not mortal kombat bad or street fighter. There are many critical reviews and I'm not sure if they are giving the movie a realistic look without trying to compare it to the game. This is a curse given to most video game to movie conversion is that it's always compared to the game instead of being treated as it's own entity.

I give it 7.5 out of 10. I liked the action, chracters, fight sequenecs. Plot could of been stronger. I do hope they do more.