PDA

View Full Version : WWII ace's comments on P-40 and P-47 2nd try

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Just started reading Bud Fortier's account of his WWII experiences. Excerpts:

(1st flight in P-40)

At about fifteen thousand feet I started a shallow dive to build up airspeed for a loop. I needed ever-increasing pressure on the left rudder to keep the nose pointed straight ahead; as I pulled the nose up, I had to apply more and more right rudder as power increased and airspeed decreased. On the back side of the loop, just the opposite--less power, more speed, and more left rudder were needed. I felt I was learning a foot-stomping dance step.
...I had been among the dozen or so cadets chosen to fly the P-39 at the end of our regular training. It was a sweet-flying airplane, except for its unfortunate tendency to "flatten out" in a spin, often with fatal results. After the P-39, the P-40 felt like a Mack truck. It required a heavy hand on the stick, and we always seemed to be standing on one rudder of the other to counter the engine torque. I flew it only about five times. To put it mildly, I didn't like it, and I hoped we would not have to go into combat with it.

(The P-47)

The Jug was easy and a pleasure to fly. The entine torque effect was similar to that of the P-40, but the wide landing gear made it easier to control on takeoff and landing. In spite of its size, it was much lighter on the controls than the P-40; it didn't feel like a big airplane. After a few flights, I forgot how big it was.

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Just started reading Bud Fortier's account of his WWII experiences. Excerpts:

(1st flight in P-40)

At about fifteen thousand feet I started a shallow dive to build up airspeed for a loop. I needed ever-increasing pressure on the left rudder to keep the nose pointed straight ahead; as I pulled the nose up, I had to apply more and more right rudder as power increased and airspeed decreased. On the back side of the loop, just the opposite--less power, more speed, and more left rudder were needed. I felt I was learning a foot-stomping dance step.
...I had been among the dozen or so cadets chosen to fly the P-39 at the end of our regular training. It was a sweet-flying airplane, except for its unfortunate tendency to "flatten out" in a spin, often with fatal results. After the P-39, the P-40 felt like a Mack truck. It required a heavy hand on the stick, and we always seemed to be standing on one rudder of the other to counter the engine torque. I flew it only about five times. To put it mildly, I didn't like it, and I hoped we would not have to go into combat with it.

(The P-47)

The Jug was easy and a pleasure to fly. The entine torque effect was similar to that of the P-40, but the wide landing gear made it easier to control on takeoff and landing. In spite of its size, it was much lighter on the controls than the P-40; it didn't feel like a big airplane. After a few flights, I forgot how big it was.

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 11:27 AM
yea the p-47 is really a big fat @ss, ugly looking plane isnt it

http://www.aviation-central.com/1940-1945/images/aeg00-typhoon.gif

BEWARE THE ALMIGHTY JUG' MUNCHER

http://users.chariot.net.au/~theburfs/waters.html

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 12:47 PM
Typhoonmk1b wrote:
- yea the p-47 is really a big fat @ss, ugly looking
- plane isnt it
--
-

Methinks Typhoonmk1b has a small problem w/ the Thunderbolt.....not sure must be inversely related to his ***** size.

"We make war that we may live in peace."

Aristotle

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 01:40 PM
p-47's with those 8 guns could be summed up in 5 words....would rip sh-t up royally. but ubi decides to stick us with guns we cant see the tracers, and weak guns at that. for a 10 ton fighter, it didnt take much to slam it around in acrobatics. go here and enjoy the show. http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/P-47.html

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Typhoonmk1b wrote:
- yea the p-47 is really a big fat @ss, ugly looking
- plane isnt it
-
-
-
-Actually it's kinda cute.
Ugly, well a typhoon in a power dive from altitude looks fine until it's tail falls off. Then it's the ugliest girl at the bar!

Cheers!

-

http://www.warbirdalley.com/images/polikarpov.jpg

"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this earth." -Roberto Clemente

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 02:16 PM
Still want to remind that P47 was a rare bird on Eastern skies. I hope U understand that there R many more important (=more common) planes in the game that need to be treated correctly before we again get back to the Jug. Jug has already gotten its attention...maybe it is time to move on to some other planes:

LaGG3-series
P39
LA7
BF109
Fw190
Brewster

Try to understand what I mean, before U accuse me or blame me of something.

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Point well taken, Porta. I prefer the 109 myself, and from what I can tell from flying the,er, bad patch 1.1, the P-47 flies very nicely. Well flown, it could be downright dangerous.

I agree that there are some questions about the planes you listed, and they did have more impact in the East. On the other hand, the game seems poised to move into other theatres with the next add-on. Hopefully there will be improvement on all fronts!

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 03:57 PM
VMF513_Sandman wrote:
- p-47's with those 8 guns could be summed up in 5
- words....would rip sh-t up royally. but ubi decides
- to stick us with guns we cant see the tracers, and
- weak guns at that.

Guns seem fine to me with the 1.1b patch. Plenty
powerful. They are not, nor should they be, as powerful
as 4 20mm cannon, though.

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 04:01 PM
The 109K4 was a rare bird too, used only sparsely at the very end of the war, when Germany was doomed. I think a lot of people don't realize this. It would make far more sense to have a flyable Bf110. Those were used in abundance. There is something to be said for historical accuracy over whatever plane was supposedly the top performer.