PDA

View Full Version : Shorter, more exciting campaigns

ToiletSiphon
04-17-2004, 09:21 PM
My personal request for PF would be shorter, more exciting campaigns. I like flying a big variety of airplanes, but I can't stant to let something unfinished. So in FB, I just tried to finish a campaign before starting another. And it gets quite boring, missions are pretty much the same every time. And those "new airfield travel" missions are boring as hell.

What I would like is short campaigns, like 10-12 missions, that would focus on major battles of the war. But what would give a lot of replay value is that you could play every campaign with a lot of different planes. For example, I'd love to play Midway in a F4U, then replay it in a SB-3 or a Zero, so I could see many facettes of the battle and never get bored to fly always the same plane in the same type of missions (I think I flew 35 missions with the Brewster in FB, I'm starting to hate that plane even if I never got shot down...)

ToiletSiphon
04-17-2004, 09:21 PM
My personal request for PF would be shorter, more exciting campaigns. I like flying a big variety of airplanes, but I can't stant to let something unfinished. So in FB, I just tried to finish a campaign before starting another. And it gets quite boring, missions are pretty much the same every time. And those "new airfield travel" missions are boring as hell.

What I would like is short campaigns, like 10-12 missions, that would focus on major battles of the war. But what would give a lot of replay value is that you could play every campaign with a lot of different planes. For example, I'd love to play Midway in a F4U, then replay it in a SB-3 or a Zero, so I could see many facettes of the battle and never get bored to fly always the same plane in the same type of missions (I think I flew 35 missions with the Brewster in FB, I'm starting to hate that plane even if I never got shot down...)

Nimits
04-17-2004, 09:51 PM
You should join my lobby for a Kamikaze campaign. Complete a campaign in one session; fly with any plane. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTW, the F4U (Corsair) was not at Midway; Nor was the Russian SB-3 medium bomber.

Fennec_P
04-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure there will be torpedo bomber campaigns.

http://members.shaw.ca/fennec/urban.jpg

ToiletSiphon
04-18-2004, 06:58 PM
I meant SBD-3 and F4F... I always mix those letter up...

But does anyone thinks like me?

olaleier
04-18-2004, 07:10 PM
I agree.

Aren't there already .cfg tweaks for DGen campaign length in FB?

Something similar will probably be carried over.

==================================
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v30/olaleier/cobrasig.jpg
Marvin in hyperlobby

ToiletSiphon
04-18-2004, 08:59 PM
maybe... I wasn't aware of them. Do you know what they are?

TacticalSkirmsh
04-19-2004, 06:38 AM
Hi mate, just edit your conf.ini file in your game directory. Add [DGen] section then you can change all sorts of campaign settings. With regards to your specific question use the following -

CampaignLength=Very Short - now you only play around 10-12 missions per campaign.

Do a search for all the other parameters (sorry at work and can't provide you with them). If you have trouble PM me mate.

Regards

‚"I opened fire only when the whole windshield was black with the enemy . . . . at minimum range . . . . it doesn‚'t matter what your angle us to him or whether you are in a turn or any other maneuver.‚"Ě (Colonel Erich ‚"Bubi‚"Ě Hartmann, GAF)

:FI:TacticalS!

Chuck_Older
04-19-2004, 03:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ToiletSiphon:

What I would like is short campaigns, like 10-12 missions, that would focus on major battles of the war. But what would give a lot of replay value is that you could play every campaign with a lot of different planes. For example, I'd love to play Midway in a F4U, then replay it in a SB-3 or a Zero, so I could see many facettes of the battle and never get bored to fly always the same plane in the same type of missions (I think I flew 35 missions with the Brewster in FB, I'm starting to hate that plane even if I never got shot down...)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds to me like what you really want isn't campaign mode at all, it is an overview OF a campaign, where specific parts of a battle are fought from many perspectives, and from each side.

The whole premise of a campaign is to fly all those missions as you would if you really WERE a pilot in service during the war. To change that is changing the way a "campaign" works. If that's what you want, fine, but please, do not call this an option for campaigns. Changing campaigns to reflect what you are talking about is not a campaign, it is an overview of a battle.

I have no problem with what you suggest, but shorter, more exciting, less redundant, and from all sides of the battle and from different sides is no longer a "campaign", it's not what that means.

I am not simply correcting your English, by the way. I think your idea is a good one but I do not like the idea of the campaign structure being changed.

The hillsides ring with, "Free the People",
Or can I hear the echoes from the days of '39?
~ Clash

olaleier
04-19-2004, 04:36 PM
ToiletSiphon, the exact DGen tweaks can be found in the FB 1.11 readme.

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v30/olaleier/cobrasig.jpg
Marvin in hyperlobby

ToiletSiphon
04-20-2004, 08:57 PM
Thank you, I will take a look at it!

About my english... sorry but it's not my native language, maybe I didn't chose the right words.

When I say 10-12 mission, I think 10-12 missions with the same plane. It would not be a complete tour of duty, but it would definitly highlight specific battles.