PDA

View Full Version : So what inspired Assassin's Creed?

joshoolhorst
12-17-2016, 04:47 PM
How did Patrice Desilets came up with this series? I mean it! The lore is so fascinating and the idea behind it's so great!
The attention to detail is so great when he started this series I am not complaining or anything about the new games but eh the charm is kinda gone for me.
But the Assasin and Templar war, the Isu and the Modern Day this is so original and great!

- It started as a Prince Of Persia title and than Patrice could do whatever he wanted and he had the location already
- According to wikipedias (not the best source but he) the book Alamut by the Slovenian writer Vladimir Bartol inspired AC to.
- How did Patrice come up with genetic memory was the theory always there I am sure of it
- How did Patrice come up with the Modern Day?
- Matrix was a inspiration for this?
- The Da Vinci Code movies?
- Maybe something like Star Wars Jedi VS Sith fighting for ages
- Illumination conspiracy?

ze_topazio
12-17-2016, 04:56 PM
You probably should ask him personally.

joshoolhorst
12-17-2016, 05:01 PM
You probably should ask him personally.

Where does he life? France right?

VestigialLlama4
12-17-2016, 11:51 PM
How did Patrice Desilets came up with this series? I mean it! The lore is so fascinating and the idea behind it's so great!
The attention to detail is so great when he started this series I am not complaining or anything about the new games but eh the charm is kinda gone for me.
But the Assasin and Templar war, the Isu and the Modern Day this is so original and great!

I actually did a lot of research on this, digging up old interviews. A good place is Double Fine's YouTube Channel DevsPlay where PD was interviewed on two episodes to discuss Sands of Time and then AC2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ODNMBG4MUA

The original idea for ASSASSIN'S CREED i.e. in AC1 was very much the idea to do a different kind of game. Originally it began as a POP game called POP:ASSASSINS but the problem was that the two concepts, Prince and Assassin didn't fit well, so it needed to be its own game. Then Patrice started reading up, he came to Vladimir Bartol's novel ALAMUT, Idries Shah's book on secret socieites and a bunch of others and he met with Corey May and together they decided to create their mythology for the series. They didn't basically do 1:1 from each source. In Alamut, the Assassins are not really heroes, it's very much a bunch of hashish-smoking drugged up kids...Alamut also takes place in Persia, but AC1 sets the game in the Third Crusade almost certainly to include more familiar faces and context for the western audience (i.e. Richard Lionheart, the guy from Robin Hood, the Templars who people know from Da Vinci Code). Those were purely commercial decisions.

PD was interested in the historical portion. The Crusades, the original Assassins versus the Templars. The idea of "Nothing is true, Everything is permitted". Then they started adding stuff...the science-fiction, the frame story of the Modern Day...the reasons for the latter was to dial down the religious tensions of the concept, and make the conflict secular and mass market and also to provide a backup. In case the first AC game didn't do well, they can simply dump the Historical part and retool it into a MD game with select historical levels on the side. It was purely cynical.

Fundamentally Assassin's Creed like all video games are formed in an iterative process, i.e. Making Things As They Go Along. And ultimately every succeeding AC game is inspired by the reception the preceding title got. It's like a dog in a Pavlovian experiment and because of the annualization, you can actually study it from a behaviorist perspective.

So, AC1 sold well but got mixed reviews and what happens when games get mixed reviews is that people only listen to the people who disliked the game rather than the few who liked it...it's sad but it's what happens and when lots of money is at stake, I can't blame the publishers necessarily. AC1's historical portion got better notices than the MD...Desmond Miles was disliked more than Altair was, and Altair was not Mr. Popular, and people got confused by the constant shifts between present and historical part. If AC1 got positive notices, then there would be no AC2, no Ezio, no Connor, no Black Flag...we would likely have more Desmond and MD. That's how things change.

With AC2, the idea was to go full-in on history...go to Renaissance Italy trade Altair in for Ezio, and keep MD to the margins. This game was a huge hit and suddenly AC became "The History Games" and that shaped the identity of the franchise. The popularity of AC2 led to a change in the plans that Patrice initially had for the story-arc...that is to say each AC game would be new protagonist and new setting and it would lead to Desmond as ultimate Assassin. Now ubisoft wanted more Ezio games, so the MD plot got thrown under the bus. AC3 was driven by the aim to divest the MD entirely, and make the series permanently into the History Games, but it got weak reviews (albeit great sales) and that meant no Connor sequel and a bunch of Aryans in the games that followed. The Naval Component was popular so that made it into its own game with Black Flag and Rogue.

SO ultimately there's no grand plan and intention in AC...just a series of cool ideas that were floating and they threw it at the wall to see what stuck and the result is a series that doesn't make any real sense anymore.

cawatrooper9
12-20-2016, 06:41 PM
Yeah, if you're interested in the historical inspiration for AC, Alamut is probably the place to start.

As for the MD stuff... that's actually a pretty good question!

SixKeys
12-20-2016, 08:00 PM
Since you mentioned it, Da Vinci Code was indeed a major inspiration for the franchise, especially in the Ezio games.

I also remember reading that the reason Desmond was so "boring" in the first game was because the "blank slate protagonist" was the popular design philosophy in games at the time. In the 90s, game characters with established personalities were pretty commonplace - think Sonic the Hedgehog - until the people who were kids in the 90s started growing up and found themselves longing for something different. Something darker and more mature to reflect their tortured teenage souls. ;) Characters who were jokers and fun-loving were suddenly seen as childish, as gamers associated such characters with their childhood, with kiddy games. You'll find that most early-to-mid-00s game protagonists were grimdark, one-note, more or less silent cameras. Players enjoyed this one-dimensionality because it meant they could project whatever personality they wanted on to the character. So when AC1 was in development, that was the "cool" thing to do. Desmond had a vague backstory, but no strongly defined personality.

But history tends to move in cycles. Uncharted 1 came out around the same time as AC1 and revitalized the concept of a protagonist with an established personality, so people unfavorably compared Desmond and Altaïr, both fairly one-dimensional characters, to the charismatic Nathan Drake. Both were games representing a new generation of consoles, of gaming in general, and Uncharted's unabashed love letter to Hollywood clichés felt like a breath of fresh air after years of games taking themselves too seriously. Ironically, the 1990s approach to characterization suddenly felt new and exciting.

With that in mind, you can very easily see why Ezio was created and why he immediately found huge popularity. Loveable rogues were "in" again after years of gruff protagonists like Gordon Freeman or Max Payne. I suspect in a few years we'll see the cycle shift again.

rob1990312
12-20-2016, 09:16 PM
novel link by john beiswenger allegedly

Razrback16
12-27-2016, 04:08 PM
I'm just hopeful they can get back to a better present day story for the "anchor" aspect of it. Desmond wasn't so much fun to play as much as the limited present day story stuff provided an anchor for all the different ancestors and time periods you were traveling back to - they gave you the backstory and explanation to the "why" of it all which helped and is what's been lacking a bit the last several major releases (since AC4). If they can get back to a solid present day story, that will really help all the historical gameplay make sense. With the first several games as well, there was an indication that Desmond's genes had some special 1st civilization abilities in his line that made him and his ancestors "super assassins" to a degree, with Altair's eagle vision and exceptional climbing and fighting ability, well above that of regular assassins. I always think back to the AC2 glyph where Subject 16 says "Why do we have these abilities?! Because...it's IN....OUR....BLOOD!" - that is something I really hope they continue to focus on.

WendysBrioche
02-17-2017, 03:52 AM
It was a book called Alamut. About Assassin's in the Holy Land that took "Leaps of Faith". Patrice read the book and thought it would make a great game, which it did!

XZAROX
03-07-2017, 02:54 AM
I still think it's a real shame that modern day is getting pushed to the side more and more. Ever since AC1 I wanted the present day to be the focus. I dreamed of getting out of that lab room... I did eventually, only to get put back in the animus. Still even that was waaaay better than the cutscenes we have now. I really wish they'd bring back a few proper modern day missions, 'cause it's obvious that modern day AC is not going to happen.

joshoolhorst
03-07-2017, 08:18 AM
I still think it's a real shame that modern day is getting pushed to the side more and more. Ever since AC1 I wanted the present day to be the focus. I dreamed of getting out of that lab room... I did eventually, only to get put back in the animus. Still even that was waaaay better than the cutscenes we have now. I really wish they'd bring back a few proper modern day missions, 'cause it's obvious that modern day AC is not going to happen.

Tell me about it before AC3 came out I expected after 5 years a conclusion and 20 missions at least with him but we got only three missions with him and one of them was the worst designed missions in the entire series.

Usercake
03-07-2017, 06:03 PM
it idea came from messing around in minecraft no joking

joshoolhorst
03-07-2017, 06:27 PM
it idea came from messing around in minecraft no joking

Or Kingdom Hearts:)

crusader_prophet
03-08-2017, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure which issue of Gameinformer, back when GI used to regard AC series worth their front cover and featured story, I think it was the Revelations issue where there was an elaborate interview and cover story on the origins of the franchise from PoP days. How Jade, Patrice and Jean Guedson were involved when the next iteration of PoP Assassins became Assassin's Creed. The article also detailed certain instances during meetings when people yelled "Eureka" esque ideas and how all those moments had led to creation of the juggernaut franchise.