PDA

View Full Version : So when AC3 got released...

joshoolhorst
12-17-2016, 01:34 PM
How was the forums? When I find a old discussion from 2012 it seems like alot of fighting and yeah we all know Desmonds ending was really really really freaking bad.
But how was the forum and what were peoples first impression and thoughts before buying the game and after?

ze_topazio
12-17-2016, 01:51 PM
Some people were pleased, some people were disappointed, heavy discussion between the two groups, sometimes things got really intense.

Aphex_Tim
12-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Considering the AC3 hype was HUUUUGE before it came out, the forums became somewhat of a warzone for a while after it was released. Lots of people disappointed or in denial; other people loved it but they seemed a minority. Especially opinions on Connor were quite polarized.
Actually not a whole lot has changed regarding opinions on AC3, unfortunately, with people still wanking over Ezio and dissing Connor because he's "not charismatic".....

ERICATHERINE
12-17-2016, 06:08 PM
Considering the AC3 hype was HUUUUGE before it came out, the forums became somewhat of a warzone for a while after it was released. Lots of people disappointed or in denial; other people loved it but they seemed a minority. Especially opinions on Connor were quite polarized.
Actually not a whole lot has changed regarding opinions on AC3, unfortunately, with people still wanking over Ezio and dissing Connor because he's "not charismatic".....

I just saw that in 7 comments, you'll have made your 3000th. Do you want to say a word about it? ^-^

VestigialLlama4
12-18-2016, 12:09 AM
The Reception on AC3 was divided between multiple factions with their own interests.

1. Veteran Fans - These are the guys who were with the series from AC1. To them they were invested in the lore and MD as much if not more than they were with Connor and his story. To these guys, Desmond's finale was a serious disappointment because they formed a lot of theories and speculation and they found the conclusion blah and unsatisfying. They also felt that the game was going too far away from AC1's Open levels and it was now a kind of historical tour, and they didn't like the American setting. AC was always a game that was more popular among European fans and those who don't really like American history and culture, and to them a game set in the American Revolution was a bit much. There were also complaints about annualization and some whining about cut features which were advertised (kayaking and so on). I mean every game and publisher cuts stuff before production but god forbid if AC3 do it, and even admit it before release, for these guys. So for them those were issues. Despite this there were some among this group that liked AC3.

2. New Fans: These are the guys who came to the games from say AC2, Brotherhood, or even directly with AC3. These are the guys who didn't play all or little or none of the games before. For them the MD was not the reason they bought the game. They bought it for the guy on the box, for the setting and the location and features. On the whole, this crowd was way more receptive to AC3 than the first group was. These guys more or less saw the MD as just a frame tale of no consequence, there only to give a kind of handwave for why the story takes place in a new setting each time. These fans more or less took AC3 as it is without the baggage and judged it on its own strengths and weaknesses. Most of AC3's fans are New Fans or at least that is my empirical observation.

3. PC Gamers: Otherwise known as fascists. These guys judge a game and a publisher almost entirely by the PC port. Never mind if the publishers didn't work on the PC port, never mind that it was hard to code it for consoles and never mind that their precious complaints can be patched or fixed in if they asked nicely. They basically take out their anger on the content of the game itself. These guys feel that video game publishers and others have a feudal obligation to make games that are tailored to their s--t expensive systems and whine about optimization so that games can reach a wider audience.

4. Racists: A lot of gamers don't like the idea of a non-white protagonist. So Connor had a tough time. Remember that white protagonists (with the sole exception of Arno Dorian) get better reception as protagonists on the whole than non-white ones, especially if they are the main character and marquee hero rather than star of DLC or sidegames like the Chronicles. The fact that even ubisoft was aware of this and so shoehorned Haytham sequences to make it friendly to the racist crowd is proof of that. It never pays to offend the Aryans.

The fact is that the initially reception of AC3 was very positive. But somewhere along the way the backlash against it started, largely by folks with their own agenda (some of which fit the above four factions). And ultimately that's a downside of annualization since it prevented AC3 from being judged fairly since it was measured against some new trend or issue that came up between the last year and this year and then people have a fanatic and irrational grudge against the idea of annualization itself and will shred any game to shreds on that principle alone.

Aphex_Tim
12-18-2016, 12:12 AM
I just saw that in 7 comments, you'll have made your 3000th. Do you want to say a word about it? ^-^

Just that it's amazing that it took me over four and a half years to finally reach 3000 ;)
I guess that confirms I'm not the most talkative type ;)

ERICATHERINE
12-18-2016, 12:16 AM
Just that it's amazing that it took me over four and a half years to finally reach 3000 ;)
I guess that confirms I'm not the most talkative type ;)

^-^

MasterAssasin84
12-18-2016, 12:26 AM
Assassins Creed 3 ! will be always be close to my heart ! Absolutely loved Connor ! , and IMO Ubisoft delivered an amazing game , Connor was a breath of fresh air to the series as I felt Ezio was starting to become monotonous and boring .

SixKeys
12-18-2016, 06:06 AM
Lucky for you, I had the foresight to bring a video camera.

https://media.tenor.co/images/28b4fbf0b70dd7216398e55122050485/raw

Sushiglutton
12-18-2016, 11:21 AM
It was a bloodbath lol. You have to give it to AC3, it was a brave game in many ways. Even though it was overall pretty terrible, at least it was a game that tried new stuff and gave everyone A LOT to talk about...

The fact that even ubisoft was aware of this and so shoehorned Haytham sequences to make it friendly to the racist crowd is proof of that. It never pays to offend the Aryans.

Glad to see you're as nutty as ever Lama :D

Lysette88
12-18-2016, 01:52 PM
IMO Connor is an interesting choice, because he is at the core of the conflict by birth. Being half english and half native american, being half the descendant of the intruders, which are going to take the land from his native folks. Half with them and half against them (by helping the intruders). He is a conflicted person in many ways and history made him like this. He never really had the benefit of a secure home or a stable family, he is born at a time, where it is very hard to find his identity in all of this. And on top of it he has been pulled right into the conflict between templar and assassins in his early childhood without knowing it. How can a person like this be charismatic - he is in-between all sides - he is wrong in any of those places, even as an assassin. An outsider with shallow bonds to all rivaling parties (while at the same time he is an actual real american), but no firm bond with any of them. He is a conflicted person and that shows in the game.

Connor has it much harder than Altair or Ezio had it - those were deeply rooted in their culture and just had to deal with the conflict between templar and assassins. Connor had far more problems to deal with and a very hard time to find his identity. Did he find it at all?- I don't think so, he is a tragic person.

Aphex_Tim
12-18-2016, 02:38 PM
IMO Connor is an interesting choice, because he is at the core of the conflict by birth. Being half english and half native american, being half the descendant of the intruders, which are going to take the land from his native folks. Half with them and half against them (by helping the intruders). He is a conflicted person in many ways and history made him like this. He never really had the benefit of a secure home or a stable family, he is born at a time, where it is very hard to find his identity in all of this. And on top of it he has been pulled right into the conflict between templar and assassins in his early childhood without knowing it. How can a person like this be charismatic - he is in-between all sides - he is wrong in any of those places, even as an assassin. An outsider with shallow bonds to all rivaling parties (while at the same time he is an actual real american), but no firm bond with any of them. He is a conflicted person and that shows in the game.

Connor has it much harder than Altair or Ezio had it - those were deeply rooted in their culture and just had to deal with the conflict between templar and assassins. Connor had far more problems to deal with and a very hard time to find his identity. Did he find it at all?- I don't think so, he is a tragic person.

And that is exactly why I absolutely hate seeing so many people so easily dismiss Connor as "boring" or "uncharismatic" and therefore a bad character.
It's so easy to just not look through the surface; even with a fictional character. Connor is my favourite characther in the series and I will forever defend him!

Megas_Doux
12-18-2016, 05:09 PM
I can still feel the pain!!!!

The last days of 2012 were ones in which AC III felt like the worst game ever and it wasn't the exception here in the forums. Tons of both justified and unjustified criticism on Connor and the game itself due to the IMMENSE hype created by Ubisoft in that still unmatched marketing campaign in the company's history.....

And then!!!!!! And then we had the less intense in terms of casualties, but longer on its timespan, period that dated from AC IV's announcement to Unity's E3 demos ( I like to call it the Cold War) in which there were TONES off topic discussions and opened threads with petitions and supposed exhibits between his most rabid fans and those who weren't whether if he deserved a sequel or not or if there was going to be a sequel or not. It reached another high point in june 2014 (The missile Crisis :p ) which lead Black widow to put a sticky thread about NOT hijacking threads with that aforementioned topic...

Now the forums are pretty much a wasteland, a shell of their former self - which is to be expected- but I truly miss those june, july, august 2012 days in which AC III was not only going to be the best game in the franchise, but one game for the ages.....

VestigialLlama4
12-18-2016, 08:32 PM
Now the forums are pretty much a wasteland, a shell of their former self - which is to be expected- but I truly miss those june, july, august 2012 days in which AC III was not only going to be the best game in the franchise, but one game for the ages.....

For a lot of people, AC3 is a game for the ages.

It was the last AC game with real ambition, guts and scope, real imagination and you can doll up the parkour all you want but without innovation and guts, your franchise will die.

Because let's face it we will never see a game like that mounted again on a AAA format by any publisher and not Ubisoft. AC is close to dead these days. The oversaturation in other media, comics/novels and stuff which makes the lore more confusing and hopeless than ever. And then there's this movie which is going up against the new Star Wars movie and will not really earn a great deal of money.

Then the new AC game next year is going to be some non-narrative procedurally generated game in Ancient Egypt, which is going to be an AC3 style game solely in terms of landscape and small buildings and greater natural world. It's going to be very trendy, following stuff from whatever buzz is made by other games in the market and it will be overpraised for its seeming novelty but will be forgotten in a few months hence.

That's assuming Ubisoft is not bought out by Vivendi...

Megas_Doux
12-18-2016, 10:39 PM
For a lot of people, AC3 is a game for the ages.

It was the last AC game with real ambition, guts and scope, real imagination and you can doll up the parkour all you want but without innovation and guts, your franchise will die.

It's a matter of opinions, of course. But to me, even though I certainly believe both Connor and the game get more hate than they deserve -many call it the worst AC after Unity, which is blasphemy to my ears- the game couldn't keep with the immense hype, mostly on its cringeworthy modern sections. Then there's the totally sub-par mission design which was too linear -and not good at, I might add- the not pretty VA for its protagonist and the overall sensation that Ubi bite off more than they could chew with AC III.

ERICATHERINE
12-19-2016, 12:02 AM
Connor is my favourite characther in the series and I will forever defend him!

This for me too. ^-^

cawatrooper9
12-20-2016, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I was a lurker back then, but it wasn't exactly as easy-going as it is now, if I remember right.

I still just don't understand the AC3 hate. It's not the most replayable game in the series, but hey, a lot of incredible games aren't all that replay-friendly; The Last of Us comes to mind.

For me, the first play of AC3 was an incredible experience. I absolutely loved it, and truth be told, it had quite an adverse effect on my grades that semester, as I cut a lot of classes the week of its release.

SixKeys
12-20-2016, 06:56 PM
I still just don't understand the AC3 hate. It's not the most replayable game in the series, but hey, a lot of incredible games aren't all that replay-friendly; The Last of Us comes to mind.

Why wouldn't TLOU have replay value? Gameplay remains fun and challenging, especially on the harder difficulties, no matter how many times you do it.

cawatrooper9
12-20-2016, 09:35 PM
Why wouldn't TLOU have replay value? Gameplay remains fun and challenging, especially on the harder difficulties, no matter how many times you do it.

Sure, it's fun, and I'm not saying it has "no " replay value. Simply that, as a heavily story-based, linear game, much of its appeal comes from experiencing it. Again, you could argue that the combat and stealth mechanics warrant multiple replays, and I'm no one to tell you any different (on topic, I'm ashamed at how many times I've played through AC3), but I'm sure we could agree that that's different than something more open-ended like Minecraft or something more competitive based like Battlefield.

And don't think I'm saying that's a weakness of TLOU. No, I think it's, in many ways, the direction Assassins Creed needs to go again. Minecraft and Battlefield aren't really my thing anyway.

VestigialLlama4
12-20-2016, 09:53 PM
Replay value is subjective. I replay most pre-Unity AC games, including AC3 because I tend to like the story a lot. So the same applies to Naughty Dog and Arkham games.

But more or less in these games when you replay it you are trying to relive your first experience or playthrough. You can try some of the side missions, achievments and explore more of the levels and the world but basically you are reliving the past in those games. So its replay value is a little negative in that sense. But that's true of all games, even GTA and Rockstar games. Even Spec Ops The Line

The only game that I have played that has true replay value is DISHONORED. Because the level design and gameplay is so sophisticated there that no playthrough resembles one another. The sequel gives you two new protagonist so it's got infinite variations. Every time you play that game or replay it, it's like a new game. I can't think of any other title that achieves that as well.

crusader_prophet
12-20-2016, 10:17 PM
I've played Mass Effect trilogy with 11 different character imports. That's 33 playthroughs. I had a different experience every single time in terms of gameplay or/and story.

I played Dishonored about 5 times. Each time I had a different experience with my gameplay and how that affected the game world around me.

These are the only two games where I've truly enjoyed replayability.

AC3 is one of my favorites even with its flaws just like AC1. Connor is humble even after the childhood trauma he went through.