PDA

View Full Version : Gender Locked Classes

Lorenzen_
12-15-2016, 06:11 PM
I remember at an E3 forum some guy on the for honor development team said that you could chose whatever you wanted in terms of hero creation. I am a personal fan to the Peacekeeper and i would enjoy playing a male variant, do you think that sometime in the future we could see the restriction unlocked. Not just for peacekeeper but all classes.

waraidako
12-15-2016, 07:26 PM
Unlikely. Having watched the videos of how they record the animations for each character, it seems like a lot of work to just add some genders. And really, most people don't care enough, so it's not worth the effort. It's 6 characters after all. It's more likely that they'll add entirely new characters instead. You could make an entirely new faction for the same effort.

gessekai
12-16-2016, 06:48 PM
Unlikely. Having watched the videos of how they record the animations for each character, it seems like a lot of work to just add some genders. And really, most people don't care enough, so it's not worth the effort. It's 6 characters after all. It's more likely that they'll add entirely new characters instead. You could make an entirely new faction for the same effort.

I wouldn't say most people don't care enough. I'm pretty sure it's the #1 most requested feature at this point. I can't go anywhere without seeing people complaining about it. Though, I've seen the animation argument presented, I'm not sure if I understand it. Wouldn't it only matter if each gender needed totally different animations?

Reaper_Sykko
12-16-2016, 07:27 PM
people do care wth its like the most requested **** right now, and for the animation excuse cant they just re use the same animation and remodel the character as a male? like how they do with skins in other video games. its not like female and males have diferent move sets on other characters that have both genders.

Ryuushima
12-16-2016, 07:43 PM
I don't like hating on developers but they are just being lazy here. There is absolutely no reason for there to not be a male peacekeeper or nobushi. We are already in a game with vikings fighting knights fighting samurai. So don't get started on silly lore. They are just gender locking since it's half the work on animations.

I love For Honor so far but I do spit on this developer decision.

Barricade133
12-16-2016, 08:06 PM
Meh not being able to pick a gender for some of the classes doesn't bother me and while I do disagree with you guys on the issue I can see your point. We still have 6/12 that you can choose which gender you want to be while some maybe in this games lore could be gender locked for lore reasons as well as the afformentioned animation issues. Maybe they will add equivalents later on down the road.

waraidako
12-17-2016, 12:32 AM
I wouldn't say most people don't care enough. I'm pretty sure it's the #1 most requested feature at this point. I can't go anywhere without seeing people complaining about it. Though, I've seen the animation argument presented, I'm not sure if I understand it. Wouldn't it only matter if each gender needed totally different animations?

They motion capture the animations over and over and over and over again, and blend them together so that you can go from any motion to any other seamlessly. They'd have to get a female actress in to do all of it, otherwise it wouldn't fit the female skeleton.

Lewdkeeper2.0
12-17-2016, 03:24 AM
The only two that it makes sense with are the Valkyrie, and to a lesser extent the Shugoki. I can't see any lore or practical reason to gender lock the Peacekeeper, Lawbringer, Nobushi, and Warlord. I feel like Ubisoft is trying to be too even-handed.The Vikings had to have a gender lock with the Valkyrie, so they added a male and female gender locked class to every faction to keep it even

LIMIT_bro
12-17-2016, 06:14 AM

No. 1 requested feature? [removed]

gessekai
12-17-2016, 03:20 PM
No. 1 requested feature? [removed]

I hope that was a joke. lol

quickfire123
12-17-2016, 03:49 PM
Nobushi and Valkyrie make sense being gender locked. Valkyrie are females only in mythology and Nobushi are based off of female only warriors.

gessekai
12-17-2016, 06:41 PM
Historically, Nobushi were bandits and predominately male. Nobushi or 野武士 translates to something along the lines of "Field Warrior." With no any gender connotations in the name, nor historically, I think it could easily be a male class in that regard. Though, there's really no way you can twist a Valkyrie to be male. I think they could easily just rename the Valkyrie something else, like Einherjar...or something, to make it a gender ambiguous class. Or just make a male version and call it that.

Personally, I wouldn't care too much if they just made Valkyrie a male too and left it like that. This game gives no ****s about accuracy, and sacrifices historical accuracy for a player's customization freedom (which they stressed), which imo is a good move if you're going to follow through with it. And a male Valkyrie is no less accurate than a white Samurai or a black Viking, so why let that stop you?

But I guess it's like how waraidako explained, with the effort of motion capturing each class again. Otherwise, I don't see any reason having to do with "accuracy" stopping them.

lani133
12-17-2016, 07:08 PM
+1 totally unnecessary complaint; devs made a little background story and they like their peacekeepers to be women only and Im totally fine with that, also a female Lawbringer would look bad. Just accept that some are gender locked, it doenst really matters after all. No. 1 requested feature should be (and is) balancing, optimisation etc, not this gender madness.

Sa0n
12-17-2016, 08:10 PM
The only two that it makes sense with are the Valkyrie, and to a lesser extent the Shugoki. i'dont see any good reason for the shugoki... there is a Comic's strip named Okko, in some books the heroes party count a Farmer girl, wich was beefy than most of men, and she wield Kanabo. she can totally fit the Woman counter part of Shoguki

KioTheSlayer
12-18-2016, 07:09 AM
The most stupid requested feature.

two characters who can be either male or female.
one character that is male only.
one character that is female only.

Seems pretty fair to me. Don't want to play a female? Imagine all the thousands of other games where you can only play males.

gessekai
12-19-2016, 01:07 AM
The most stupid requested feature.

two characters who can be either male or female.
one character that is male only.
one character that is female only.

Seems pretty fair to me. Don't want to play a female? Imagine all the thousands of other games where you can only play males.

What a ridiculous response.

For one, there are very many games where you play as only women, nowadays. Mostly because men are likelier to prefer playing as female characters. Second of all, your argument has nothing to do with anything. Even if there was a substantially larger amount of male protagonists compared to female, why would that even matter? A lot of people want to play as characters they identify with, and a lot of the times, it's the same gender as their own. Not to mention, this isn't a "I don't want to play as a female thing." considering there are people who want to play as a female version of a male class. Basically, you're missing half of your argument.

No one is saying it isn't fair, nor do they care. "Fair" literally has nothing to do with anything.

calibur2016
12-19-2016, 02:15 AM
I remember at an E3 forum some guy on the for honor development team said that you could chose whatever you wanted in terms of hero creation. I am a personal fan to the Peacekeeper and i would enjoy playing a male variant, do you think that sometime in the future we could see the restriction unlocked. Not just for peacekeeper but all classes.

Yeah this is stupid I want a male version of the peacekeeper and that is awful of ubi to do that taking gender switching away that might stop lots of people and and myself from buying and even remotely interested :mad:

feuerundblut
12-20-2016, 04:46 AM
I don't get the debate here. What if the peacekeeper is female only because of lore reasons like a secret order accepting only women for example?

You should wait and get the story of the game before making any assumption as to why some classes have gender locks. The lore should always prevail over any real life human rights consideration. If not, games would be so boringly oriented.

Free-Fall_
12-20-2016, 05:19 AM
I don't get the debate here. What if the peacekeeper is female only because of lore reasons like a secret order accepting only women for example?

You should wait and get the story of the game before making any assumption as to why some classes have gender locks. The lore should always prevail over any real life human rights consideration. If not, games would be so boringly oriented.

This wouldn't be an issue six, seven years ago. For a while now we've been seeing so many complaints on gender, preferences and closet cases of masculine men refusing to play women.

Reminds me of complaints towards Witcher III where the main protagonist is male, and people start demanding a female counterpart. It's like... What? You refuse to play an RPG based off a series of books, heavily story driven because you are forced to take control over a male?

feuerundblut
12-20-2016, 07:58 AM
This wouldn't be an issue six, seven years ago. For a while now we've been seeing so many complaints on gender, preferences and closet cases of masculine men refusing to play women.

Reminds me of complaints towards Witcher III where the main protagonist is male, and people start demanding a female counterpart. It's like... What? You refuse to play an RPG based off a series of books, heavily story driven because you are forced to take control over a male?

Yeah, I remember when the witcher 3 came out, some people even complained about the fact there weren't any black folks to be seen. It's getting out of control seriously. We need to get back to respect of story and lore of any kind instead of bringing our own lives and wishes into a game. It's like if you were complaining there is no woman in the fellowship of the ring and fire a lawsuit to Tolken's family for it.

GH.Arturace1998
12-20-2016, 10:05 AM
I feel like the characters with locked genders are there not for the laziness reason, but more for a "historical" accuracy. I do not think The Shugoki ever had a female counterpart.
But, the peacekeeper should have a male version. I do not see why not.

Razor__Fox
12-20-2016, 12:59 PM
I don't get the problem with gender locked classes. The few complaints I HAVE seen all seem to be wanting a male peacekeeper. No one seems to want a female shugoki.

I'm pretty sure it's the #1 most requested feature at this point.

No it isn't.

gessekai
12-20-2016, 04:34 PM
No it isn't.

Yes, it is.

See how productive that is?

Lady_Lynxx
12-20-2016, 09:02 PM
You people... seriously? you complain about gender locked classes? You should be more worried about no dedicated servers and this P2P ****, that is a real issue.What good is a variety of classes if you cant even play the damn game normally.

Pope138
12-20-2016, 10:42 PM
There's plenty of games out there that give you complete control over your character and what he/she does. And there are tons of people that love those games. But it's starting to feel like a lot of them expect that same level of creative freedom in any game they play. There's no consideration for the artist and the story they're trying to tell. Too many gamers expect games to be tailor made for them specifically.

feuerundblut
12-21-2016, 01:53 AM
I feel like the characters with locked genders are there not for the laziness reason, but more for a "historical" accuracy. I do not think The Shugoki ever had a female counterpart.

Let me fix it for you. You do not see why there is no male peacekeeper because you have no clue at all about the game narrative yet. End of the story.

Razor__Fox
12-21-2016, 10:15 AM
Yes, it is.

See how productive that is?

Except you are wrong, churlishly making up statistics to further your own agenda and make your personal gripe seem more legitimate.

There are MUCH more pressing concerns with the game that need to be addressed before launch then the voice lines and the shoulder width of your character, because lets be honest that is the only thing that is going to be noticeable during gameplay.

N1GTHCR0W
12-21-2016, 02:52 PM
i want all classes with the 2 genders ,don't defend ubisoft ,she have make one wrong decision when she have locked the classes ,i want a male nobushi and peacekepeer ,i am buying this game ,why i dont can want this ? what is the problem of one male samurai using spear ?????????????????????

FissionXG
12-21-2016, 03:46 PM
Do you guys ever consider the possibility that because this is a TEST that they only finished one gender model of the class, and would like the classes tested for balance purposes before polishing out the other gender models and releasing them into the much larger BETA that is coming in a few weeks? lol come on now

Pope138
12-21-2016, 04:22 PM
i want all classes with the 2 genders ,don't defend ubisoft ,she have make one wrong decision when she have locked the classes ,i want a male nobushi and peacekepeer ,i am buying this game ,why i dont can want this ? what is the problem of one male samurai using spear ?????????????????????

This is the product. You decide whether or not to buy it. That's how this works.
You seem to think that promising to buy something means that you have control over how the product is produced. If that kind of control is what you want, you have to get a job at Ubisoft and work your way up to that position. I can't believe this needs to be explained.

gessekai
12-21-2016, 05:42 PM
Except you are wrong, churlishly making up statistics to further your own agenda and make your personal gripe seem more legitimate.

There are MUCH more pressing concerns with the game that need to be addressed before launch then the voice lines and the shoulder width of your character, because lets be honest that is the only thing that is going to be noticeable during gameplay.

I was showing you how unproductive it was to say "yes" and "no" back and forth, but anyway.

For one, that's not making up statistics, I'm going off of what I've seen, which I clearly said. But even if I were as mischievous and "churlish" (lol) as you think I am, what agenda would I be trying to push? Ubisoft isn't going to look at my post and be like "Well, you heard the guy. Let's do it!" Yeah, that's not happening, as nice as that would be.

But that reminds me of another thing. A lot of people on this forum act like complaining about one thing will make another complaint irrelevant. Yes, there are things that are almost objectively more important complaints, but the same people who complain about gender-locking often complain about those same issues. You voice the concerns that you're most passionate about, not just one of them. And if people don't complain about the more important ones, they haven't encountered those issues for themselves, so how/why would you expect them to complaint about them.

Pope138
12-21-2016, 10:37 PM
Yeah this is stupid I want a male version of the peacekeeper and that is awful of ubi to do that taking gender switching away that might stop lots of people and and myself from buying and even remotely interested :mad:

Wait. Stop. Come back.

AlmightyWarlock
12-21-2016, 10:54 PM
I played the CA on the PS4 and you were able to play classes as whichever gender you chose- what have I missed that changed the ability to swap class gender?

waraidako
12-22-2016, 01:34 AM
I played the CA on the PS4 and you were able to play classes as whichever gender you chose- what have I missed that changed the ability to swap class gender?

The heroes available during the CA were the Raider and Berserker, Kensei and Orochi, and Warden and Conqueror. All of those you can pick gender for. The rest of them are either male or female only. The male ones are the Warlord, Shugoki, and Lawbringer, and the female ones are the Valkyrie, Nobushi, and Peacekeeper.

AlmightyWarlock
12-22-2016, 02:20 AM
Respectably- There've NEVER been male Valkyries in any lore etc. So I reckon I can understand the locking on these classes. Carry on then, I support it, not every special ray of sunshine from the snowflake brigade needs to ruin things for everybody else.

ShugokiShark
12-22-2016, 11:13 AM
I didn't even notice until the Sunday that you could change genders. I was just happy to be testing out an awesome game with a killer combat system. The classes I played all rocked and they all wear armour so aside from the Shugoki and Valk you really can't tell them apart in the battles aside from the loading screen and character select. I was too busy taking points and killing stuff to notice genders. There is so much going on in a match with the soldiers and environment. Most of the time i spent looking at my surroundings, opponent's weapon or their posture for incoming attacks. If you had time to appreciate the details of their armour that was a bonus too. To deprive yourself of playing this game because of possibly gender locked classes really makes it sound like you're just here to play dress up and not there for the combat.

It would be a nice to have, but not a necessary to have in order for this game to be successful.

Pope138
12-22-2016, 04:06 PM
Respectably- There've NEVER been male Valkyries in any lore etc. So I reckon I can understand the locking on these classes. Carry on then, I support it, not every special ray of sunshine from the snowflake brigade needs to ruin things for everybody else.

I think representation is important, and I don't think political correctness is bad, until the fingers start wagging--then it's unbearable.
But everyone here, on both sides of the argument, needs to stop acting like political correctness has anything to do with Ubisoft's decision. They're not a bunch of MRA's for withholding gender options for 50% of the characters and someone isn't being a "snowflake" for wanting more options.
Ubisoft has they're reasons and they have nothing to do being politically in/correct.

But boycotting the game over this? Ok, you're a snowflake. This is not a hill to die on. There is literally no social justice to be won over this.

ToaPaul
02-12-2017, 04:13 AM
Not gonna lie, I was pretty pissed to get into the game and find out that the Peacekeeper can't be male for some stupid reason. It's really stupid to have some classes gender-locked and others not and I really hope they fix that bad decision. I get it for the Valkyrie lore-wise but even then it's not like it's literally supposed to be a Valkyrie.

SamKaiser
02-12-2017, 04:41 AM
I'm in a similar boat to the guys wanting a dude peacekeeper! I'm a girl and like playing girls, so I'd love if stuff like the lawbringer or shoguki were opened up for women too! II love that there isn't really major differences with the men and women in the game, heck for the first few minutes of playing the tutorial I though I was playing a dude knight due to how I looked, it was only until I heard my character's voice compared to some other NPC that I realized I was playing a girl Warden and it made me so excited. When I see most games it's painfully obvious that the girls look like they'd have issues wearing armor, much less be able to fight in combat, For Honor really sold me on being an exception to that general rule.

I don't really see the complaints of "Well there were only girl Valkyrie in lore!" making much sense considering it's quite obvious that this game is fantasy. You've got three groups, two of which wouldn't have met really ever, and one of which can take a sword to open skin and not die instantly. I can understand the "It'd take a while to motion capture all those new animations" explanation, but it's that care that companies give people that can really make the difference with regards to representation and all. Plus it wouldn't take as much work as designing a new character, you've already got the look and what it does in the game. I'm sure it'd take a good bit of work, but considering they're also going to add six new classes, it's not like they're going to stop adding stuff once the game is released.

I'm partially worried that the current gender locked classes will set an example for the 6 other classes released in the final game too. Who's to say that it will just stop with 3 girl exclusive and 3 guy exclusive classes? This game and the devs have emphasized customization, I just hope they also work to making it so in the same game where I can be a female samurai, knight, or a buff axe wielding viking of a variety of races I'd hope that also ends up leading too being some big, fat Shoguki, Warlords, and Lawbringers being women too and some lithe peacekeepers and Nobushi (Valkyrie too! But they're hardly lithe haha) being men as well.

Fmarshalminy
02-14-2017, 09:10 PM
There should definitely be a choice. If the game boasts customisation and this game has a lot of customisable features then the gender should also be a part of that.

Ragnar---
02-14-2017, 09:17 PM
Female Kensei looks dumb.

XORaptor0
02-14-2017, 09:25 PM
Please make male and female versions of gender locked characters. I really wanna play female Shugoki. Seriously, I can't be the only one! You can't tell me it wouldn't be awesome playing as a fat girl with a stick, cracking peoples' spines.

Here's to hoping they do this. It's not as hard as making new animations for the different genders, just new models and maybe making new/tweaking textures. There's really no reason not to since everyone wants this.

Reaper_Sykko
02-14-2017, 09:39 PM
Please make male and female versions of gender locked characters. I really wanna play female Shugoki. Seriously, I can't be the only one! You can't tell me it wouldn't be awesome playing as a fat girl with a stick, cracking peoples' spines.

Here's to hoping they do this. It's not as hard as making new animations for the different genders, just new models and maybe making new/tweaking textures. There's really no reason not to since everyone wants this.
make her stick a giant pocky

suboptiml
02-14-2017, 09:44 PM
It's forced diversity. They want to force more women avatars to be played as they suspect that given the choice the vast majority would very likely choose male avatars. Probably because the vast majority of the people playing this game are male.

Considering there's been a tiny fraction of a percentage of historical women warriors (compared to the numbers of male warriors) period, yet there are female choices for many of the warriors in the game, the "historical" argument for the woman-only Valk class is the height of silly. Besides, the class in the game is just a class name. It's not that the class itself is some type of mythological entity while the rest of the classes are normal humans.

True diversity would let men choose to identify as a traditionally female archetype named the Valkyrie. That would empower men to break their gender-norm roles as well. That is, if the intent is to truly expand diversity and choice of role in society.

TypicalZealot
02-14-2017, 09:48 PM
I'm a woman who adores the big sumo concept of the Shugoki.

Please add female Shugoki, I know it's a pipe dream, but I want it so bad.

I wanna be a big powerful woman running around bashing skulls.

+1 for female Shugoki

Let the boys have their male Peacekeeper too since that's commonly requested.

apostateCourier
02-15-2017, 03:18 PM
What's the point of the gender lock, anyway? What's so wrong about wanting to play a big ol' musclewoman in heavy armor with a halberd?

End the gender lock, please. It's what's stopping me from purchasing the game.

Belphegorn
02-15-2017, 03:31 PM
Do you know why women usually don't work in coal mines? The same reason why they can't efficiently wield a two-handed sword or a halberd.

waraidako
02-15-2017, 03:40 PM
Do you know why women usually don't work in coal mines? The same reason why they can't efficiently wield a two-handed sword or a halberd.

Pretty sure kids used to work in coal mines back in the day. Can't be that difficult tbh.

Salt_is_Real
02-15-2017, 03:47 PM

Historical? Do you realize that Viking waren't savages with no armor, but they used to wear mail?
Do you realize that Samurai ware using Plate armor not wooden armor?

Anyway I dont rly care about gender swaping, I'am totaly OK with locked characters.

apostateCourier
02-15-2017, 04:30 PM

...the game already lets you use a two handed sword as a woman, as can be done in real life. Who are you to say that women can't use a halberd either?

waraidako
02-15-2017, 10:12 PM
Also, what Belphegorn says assumes a two-handed sword is somehow more difficult to wield than a one-handed sword. The opposite is true. If you're physically weaker, two-handed swords and polearms are what you should be using, they're way easier to wield with less strength.