PDA

View Full Version : Revelation: Processor Speed Question

thinkbible
08-08-2004, 01:00 PM
I see that Revelation requires a minimum processor speed of 667 mHz. I have a dual 500mHz G4 machine which is new to me. Will Revelation run on this machine?

How does the dual 500 processors relate to an advertised minimum speed? Are the dual 500's the same a 1000 mHz?

thinkbible
08-08-2004, 01:00 PM
I see that Revelation requires a minimum processor speed of 667 mHz. I have a dual 500mHz G4 machine which is new to me. Will Revelation run on this machine?

How does the dual 500 processors relate to an advertised minimum speed? Are the dual 500's the same a 1000 mHz?

Rashekfee
08-08-2004, 04:12 PM
A mac user! Hooray!

I can't say for sure at this point, but I would tend to say that no, your computer will not run Myst IV. From what I understand, you can only use both processors on the same program if the program is made to support multiple processors, and I do not believe that most games are. I'll try to mooch more info off the experts.

Sorry I dont know more!

thinkbible
08-08-2004, 05:27 PM
Don't be sorry.. appreciate the response.

LazerFX
08-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Can I chip in, please? As a PC user, I've not had direct first-hand experience with Mac's, and so what I say may not be true, but:

Unless they specifically put a system in place to prevent the game from running, I would imagine that the game will run, however I would also imagine that it will not run at optimal speed, i.e. you will likely suffer from mouse-lag, stutter, images not loading smoothly; that sort of thing.

As for dual-processors, if it works the same as on a PC, especially with an 'intelligent' process control system, if you set an affinity via whatever task management software you have, you should be able to have the game work entirely on one processor, with everything else (Background processes, sound processing, etc) working on the other; which will cut down the overhead on the processor that uses the game quite a bit.

I'd imagine the game would be multi-threaded anyway; it's hard to imagine an interactive, multiple-video-feed streaming program that wouldn't be, and since multiple processors are relatively common I'd imagine that they'd include support for them (It is, on the PC, a relatively trivial thing to do once you've got over the hump of actually making the software multi-threaded).

Anyway, that's just my 2p http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It might be right, or it might all be drivel; but at least running the demo should give you an idea http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

--
LazerFX - Mystaholic Computer Geek

BigReddUplay
08-20-2004, 06:16 AM
I've always been told by Mac users that Mac speeds (in MHz) don't have a 1:1 ratio to PC speeds (in MHz). If that is true, what is the ratio, and what would a 500MHz Mac be compared to a Pentium?

thinkbible
08-20-2004, 06:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nirvelli:
I've always been told by Mac users that Mac speeds (in MHz) don't have a 1:1 ratio to PC speeds (in MHz). If that is true, what is the ratio, and what would a 500MHz Mac be compared to a Pentium?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on the software application. That's why I was asking about my specific machine running "Revelation". (I've since upgrade video and processor which is now 1GHz). Mac can blow away PC's when comparing processor speeds. Just for example, in PhotoShop: "The dual 2.5GHz, dual 2GHz and dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5 systems ran the 45 filters 98%, 82% and 66% faster, respectively, than the 3.4GHz Pentium 4-based system, and 75%, 63% and 48% faster than the dual 3.2GHz Xeon-based system." More info here if you want it: Mac Performance (http://www.apple.com/powermac/performance/) It's why Mac is the choice of high end graphics/video work. But it totally depends on how the application is using the system. I was asking basically if "Revelation's" processor requirement took into account dual processors.

PowerMac dual 500 G4 - 986mb
OS 10.3.5 Classic 9.2.1
17" studio monitor