PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Heroes Guide to Faction War

MisterWillow
12-14-2016, 06:06 PM
Hello everybody, and welcome to the Hall of Heroes guide to Faction Wars.

That’s right, everyone; we who had the opportunity to go to Montreal have been sitting on this information for over a month, and we can now confirm that it exists! The following will go more in-depth concerning what it entails, how it works, how you contribute, and whether it is a separate mode entirely, but for now, rejoice, and bask in the revelation that your wish has been granted.

You done? Good! Let’s get into it.

Faction War

Mode or Not?

To get the major question out of the way right up front, Faction War is not a separate mode. Every match of every mode that you play in For Honor contributes to the Faction War. It is always running in the background, and is influenced by the matches won or lost by the members of any given faction and the distribution of the awarded War Assets.

That might be a lot to process at once, so I’ll try my best to explain everything individually, but I’d like to emphasise and reiterate that everything you do in For Honor’s multiplayer has an influence on the Faction War.

Faction Choice

Those of you who played the Alpha, or watched footage of the opening, will remember that the first time you turn the game on, you are asked which faction you are pledging allegiance to. This is literal in terms of Faction War. The shield you choose is the faction you shall represent and contribute to once you actually start fighting.

For reasons that have not been divulged to us (though we are assured it will be properly justified), your faction choice does not restrict your choice of character in matches.

You are also able to change your faction allegiance at any time, but for reasons that will be discussed later, this might not be the best course of action outside of certain time intervals, even if your team is losing.

Territory

Once you actually get into the multiplayer, you will notice the large overworld map you saw in the Alpha is subdivided into coloured territories.

http://i65.tinypic.com/142x9qf.jpg
In game, these coloured sections are subdivided into individual shapes that players can strategically select and place War Assets into between matches (via menu options).

Through playing and winning matches and distributing the War Assets you acquire on a bordering territory to one you control—either on your side to defend, or on an opposing side to attack—the territories will shift based on the distribution of War Assets, so the map could, should the Samurai have a particularly good run in a season, look like this:

http://i63.tinypic.com/b503up.jpg

This has two effects. First, and most obvious, is that it affects your standing in the overall war for the season.

Second, it affects the variation of the map you’ll play on. If you’re fighting on a subdivision within Samurai territory, for example, even a traditionally Knight map like Citadel Gate will look like it’s in the middle of the Mire, with twisted trees and moody fog. Alternatively, it will become a winter wonderland if fighting in Viking territory.

War Assets

By this point, you’ve probably noticed the term ‘War Assets’ used a number of times and wondered what exactly those are. War Assets are the means by which you control the map.

Essentially, they are points awarded to you after a match which can be placed on one of the various subdivisions along the border where a territory you control meets an enemy controlled territory.

Should you not choose to personally apply War Assets to specific subdivisions, the assets you earn are automatically distributed along the entire border of the territory you control. However, this can be approached strategically in at least one aspect: to cut off supply lines and steal large swathes of territory with minimal effort.

For example, the Viking faction can push into the Samurai’s territory and cut a path around a territory that the Samurai control.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2nsonwi.jpg]

The isolated territory would then be forfeited after another turn should the Samurai not be able to claim a territory touching the isolated area before the next turn ends.

Seasons

Now that the details of how everything within Faction War is out of the way, we can go into how it all comes together.

First, and perhaps most exciting, is that all the War Asset placement, territory layout, and indeed the entire Faction War itself is cross-platform. No matter if you’re on PC, Xbox, or PS4, you will see the same map and contribute to the same war. This does not, however, mean that the game itself is cross-platform. If you’re on one platform, you will not be able to fight players of another. While many are sure to be disappointed by the latter revelation, I hope everyone can can find a modicum of comfort in knowing that you can freely discuss strategies with friends without worrying about what system they’re on.

‘But how does the war itself play out?’ I hear you ask.

While the war in For Honor is presented as perpetual, the war players will experience will be a little less constant. Instead, the war for players will be broken up into seasons---for the purposes of this, let’s say a little over a month---with each season being broken up into turns---again for expository purposes, we’ll say a week. There are five turns in a season.

While fighting over subdivisions of territory, all stats will be taken into account—again, across all platforms—and the territories will shift depending on how many War Assets are distributed in which subdivisions after every turn. At the end of the fourth turn, the season ends and the faction that controls the most territory wins that season, and they will receive special rewards, including large caches of steel and customisation items unattainable any other way. At that point, the Faction War enters an off-season to reset the map.

As previously stated, you can change your faction allegiance at any time during a season, but doing so will disqualify you from any rewards, so don’t think you can go through a losing season and switch to the winning side for an easy score.

Player Count and Faction Sizes

One thing that might have crossed your mind is the potential imbalance that is likely to occur should one faction simply have more numbers than another, or if one faction is underpopulated compared to the others.

Well, not to worry, because if there is an overpopulated or underpopulated faction, the amount of War Assets those factions receive from matches will be adjusted to keep the overall playing field relatively equal. To be clear, this is not applicable to overall faction population, necessarily, but more in regard to the participation of the members of that faction. So, if you have twice as many Knights laying down War Assets as you do Vikings and Samurai, the overall War Assets given to the latter factions would be amplified to keep in pace with the Knights.

While it might be disappointing for some people to know they can’t dominate a season by grouping together and overpowering the competition through sheer numbers—and will probably elicit complaints from realism sticklers—it’s important to maintain the enjoyment of players regardless of the faction they choose, and for players who care about Faction War, I don’t think there’s any arguing that their enjoyment would be quickly eroded if every season ended with a Viking victory and they are committed to the Samurai.

Conclusion

While it might not be the faction-locked mode that some people *ahem* have asked for, this is shaping up to be one of the more engrossing aspects of For Honor’s multiplayer. It gives players a reason to fight beyond the more basic rewards of gear and steel, and involves every single player in something much grander than simple matches. With time, hopefully we’ll hear your war stories. Good luck, warrior.

Thank you very much for reading this guide to Faction War. If you would like a place to discuss further, join a faction, and strategise in a friendly environment, be sure to join the Hall of Heroes discord by clicking the shield below.

http://i68.tinypic.com/14tlaop.png (https://discord.gg/vzqMAyf)

And be sure to check out the other guides by the HoH and other community members below.

Guide to the Warden (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1487785-Hall-of-Heroes-Warden-Guide-Forums)

Guide to Feints (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1504115-Hall-of-Heroes-s-Guide-to-Feints-Forums)

Guide to the Kensei (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1491253-Hall-of-Heroes-Kensei-Guide-Forums)

Guide to the Orochi (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1509277-Hall-of-Heroes-Orochi-Guide-Forums)

Guide to the Raider (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1499952-Hall-of-Heroes-Raider-Guide)

Also, check out our buddies over at the FHL with their berserker guide (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1515392-For-Honor-Legends-Berserker-Guide)

Here is a another community guide by the community member MercuryX2 based on the Conqueror (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1516042-Very-Basic-Conqueror-Tips)

And another Conqueror Guide (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1533679-El-Conquistador!) by ZenBear

BananaBlighter
12-15-2016, 12:07 AM
This sounds really interesting, though I don't fully understand what you mean, probably because of the missing images. However from what I can gather it's a really cool idea, and I love how it ties to the whole idea of these three factions waging a war against each other and fighting for land. It's not just a random bunch of multiplayer battles, it's like it's part of an overall war.

Vakris_One
12-15-2016, 04:44 AM
Sounds really neat. I'd be curious to know more details about how one faction can pull ahead of the others to win though. If there is essentially a rubber band effect whereby the lowest populated faction generates more points per match wins in order to keep up with the more populated faction(s); is there a point where that bonus in points will allow the smaller (in numbers) faction to rocket ahead past the bigger factions?

Dez_troi_aR
12-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Very interesting!

It is not the faction-locked mode we wanted, indeed, but it is a really nice feature, giving some long term purpose to our struggles.

Am i assuming correctly that you will only be matched together with people who picked the same faction in dominion? Otherwise a win wouldnt really have an effect on the borders.

Dark-Thomy
12-15-2016, 12:57 PM
That's a good thing that your faction does not restrict your character choice ^^

waraidako
12-15-2016, 07:45 PM
This is great, man. I still want a mode where I can fight shoulder to shoulder with fellow vikings against the other factions, but this is really cool nonetheless.

SearingShrapnel
12-15-2016, 09:12 PM
This is close but I truly want the over map to be a separate game mode where you fight other players controlling the territories similar to Dynasty Warriors Empires (4&5) Why are game developers focusing on systems that grant "exclusive" items or special this and that. I just want to play the game and have multiple different game modes to play in.

ShuyinVardiz
12-16-2016, 12:32 PM
xx

Npreadr
12-17-2016, 01:08 AM
I can understand that the factions are not locked, so does that mean I can be on the same team with some buddies of mine if they are pledged to other factions? Or does the multiplayer force you to be on your faction's team for matches?

yote224
12-18-2016, 08:20 AM
So, say I'm a Viking supporter and we are the most populated faction thus meaning my victory will earn my faction fewer points. I queue up in Dominion and see that my 3 partners are knight supporters, the least populated faction thus meaning victory will earn them the most amount of points 3 times over.
Is it not more beneficial in the long run so as to gain these special rewards for me to intentionally throw the matches with these teammates so as to negatively impact their gain on the faction war?

DerHerbman
12-18-2016, 09:39 AM
Sounds like the faction war in Mortal Kombat. You can't influence it that much when I read it correctly. What is great that the maps will change ambient! Did I understand it right that when the Vikings hold a knight castle it will look like a Viking territory?

T_Sesh
12-19-2016, 09:17 PM
So, say I'm a Viking supporter and we are the most populated faction thus meaning my victory will earn my faction fewer points. I queue up in Dominion and see that my 3 partners are knight supporters, the least populated faction thus meaning victory will earn them the most amount of points 3 times over.
Is it not more beneficial in the long run so as to gain these special rewards for me to intentionally throw the matches with these teammates so as to negatively impact their gain on the faction war?

Probably true, but without a concerted effort by many people in your faction doing the same thing, I doubt a tactic like that would go very far even in the long run, given how little of an impact you are likely to make as an individual with so many other players in the mix.

feuerundblut
12-20-2016, 04:37 AM
I can understand that the factions are not locked, so does that mean I can be on the same team with some buddies of mine if they are pledged to other factions? Or does the multiplayer force you to be on your faction's team for matches?

This is one answer I would like to get as well. Do the matches have to be between same faction teams? If so, can a knight team play against another knight team? Any official word on this?

MisterWillow
12-21-2016, 11:59 PM
is there a point where that bonus in points will allow the smaller (in numbers) faction to rocket ahead past the bigger factions?

I don't think so. My understanding of it is that the point values are (more or less) equalized in relation to how many players within each faction are actively participating.

Am i assuming correctly that you will only be matched together with people who picked the same faction in dominion? Otherwise a win wouldnt really have an effect on the borders.

No.

Your faction choice will never restrict who you can play with or what character you can pick. When a match ends, you will personally receive War Assets for the faction that you are personally aligned with to distribute on that basis. You could be a Knight and your friends are Vikings and you can play together (and can get matched together), it's just that the Assets obtained would be given to each player individually.

How you personally place War Assets for your chosen faction is what affects the borders.

This is great, man. I still want a mode where I can fight shoulder to shoulder with fellow vikings against the other factions, but this is really cool nonetheless.

Yeah, I know. I think they struck a nice middle-ground though.

I don't think so, since you'd be earning the Vikings fewer Assets to fight them by losing.

Also, I don't think you're getting 'fewer points' as being a more populated faction. My understanding is that there's a baseline that the most populated faction gets (or rather, the most participatory), and the others receive more depending on how underpopulated they are to compensate for their player numbers.

Sounds like the faction war in Mortal Kombat. You can't influence it that much when I read it correctly.

You can actually exert a great deal of influence over the map provided you talk with other players of your faction to strategise War Asset placement.

What is great that the maps will change ambient! Did I understand it right that when the Vikings hold a knight castle it will look like a Viking territory?

Yes. A Knight map in a Viking territory will be snowy and have Viking shields on the walls, and under the Samurai would be mildly swampy and have Samurai features in it.

Fatal-Feit
12-22-2016, 12:57 AM
Since it's still a work in progress, I want to offer some suggestions that hopefully don't break NDA.

I really like the idea, but it's too passive and forgettable for me. They need to add more incentives for players to consistently partake in it.

1. Allow the players to gain EXP/Steel each time their faction takes over a territory.

2. The player who sets their faction to winning in a territory should gain some instant reward for that.

The general idea is to keep players continuously invested in the conflict.

Avirex_Idyll
12-22-2016, 09:26 AM
This sounds great, Soul Calibur had something like this and it was so much fun. Cannot wait to see how this plays out.

Now I just have to figure out how to convince my friends to join the samurai faction.....

feuerundblut
12-22-2016, 09:52 AM
This sounds great, Soul Calibur had something like this and it was so much fun. Cannot wait to see how this plays out.

Now I just have to figure out how to convince my friends to join the samurai faction.....

Have them watch Kurosawa's Seven samurai. That should do.

giovanniz123
02-04-2017, 06:47 AM
Ubisoft. What we want is to be able to battle against pc/xbox/ps4 players on the battlefield like the game was meant to be played, not this metagame. This doesnt satisfy us. In your ad you said the game was "cross-platform" but that is just a lie. This is a sad excuse for an attempt to trick players into thinking the game will let them play against other platforms.

Altair_Snake
02-04-2017, 07:28 AM
Wow! Fantastic guide! You actually got me very interested in it. You answered a quetsion I had and one I hadn't even asked myself, yet. Kudos!

waraidako
02-04-2017, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure how it works, but it should obviously be cumulative.

Reaper_Sykko
02-04-2017, 07:50 PM
Hello everybody, and welcome to the Hall of Heroes guide to Faction Wars.

That’s right, everyone; we who had the opportunity to go to Montreal have been sitting on this information for over a month, and we can now confirm that it exists! The following will go more in-depth concerning what it entails, how it works, how you contribute, and whether it is a separate mode entirely, but for now, rejoice, and bask in the revelation that your wish has been granted.

You done? Good! Let’s get into it.

Faction War

Mode or Not?

To get the major question out of the way right up front, Faction War is not a separate mode. Every match of every mode that you play in For Honor contributes to the Faction War. It is always running in the background, and is influenced by the matches won or lost by the members of any given faction and the distribution of the awarded War Assets.

That might be a lot to process at once, so I’ll try my best to explain everything individually, but I’d like to emphasise and reiterate that everything you do in For Honor’s multiplayer has an influence on the Faction War.

Faction Choice

Those of you who played the Alpha, or watched footage of the opening, will remember that the first time you turn the game on, you are asked which faction you are pledging allegiance to. This is literal in terms of Faction War. The shield you choose is the faction you shall represent and contribute to once you actually start fighting.

For reasons that have not been divulged to us (though we are assured it will be properly justified), your faction choice does not restrict your choice of character in matches.

You are also able to change your faction allegiance at any time, but for reasons that will be discussed later, this might not be the best course of action outside of certain time intervals, even if your team is losing.

Territory

Once you actually get into the multiplayer, you will notice the large overworld map you saw in the Alpha is subdivided into coloured territories.

http://i65.tinypic.com/142x9qf.jpg
In game, these coloured sections are subdivided into individual shapes that players can strategically select and place War Assets into between matches (via menu options).

Through playing and winning matches and distributing the War Assets you acquire on a bordering territory to one you control—either on your side to defend, or on an opposing side to attack—the territories will shift based on the distribution of War Assets, so the map could, should the Samurai have a particularly good run in a season, look like this:

http://i63.tinypic.com/b503up.jpg

This has two effects. First, and most obvious, is that it affects your standing in the overall war for the season.

Second, it affects the variation of the map you’ll play on. If you’re fighting on a subdivision within Samurai territory, for example, even a traditionally Knight map like Citadel Gate will look like it’s in the middle of the Mire, with twisted trees and moody fog. Alternatively, it will become a winter wonderland if fighting in Viking territory.

War Assets

By this point, you’ve probably noticed the term ‘War Assets’ used a number of times and wondered what exactly those are. War Assets are the means by which you control the map.

Essentially, they are points awarded to you after a match which can be placed on one of the various subdivisions along the border where a territory you control meets an enemy controlled territory.

Should you not choose to personally apply War Assets to specific subdivisions, the assets you earn are automatically distributed along the entire border of the territory you control. However, this can be approached strategically in at least one aspect: to cut off supply lines and steal large swathes of territory with minimal effort.

For example, the Viking faction can push into the Samurai’s territory and cut a path around a territory that the Samurai control.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2nsonwi.jpg]

The isolated territory would then be forfeited after another turn should the Samurai not be able to claim a territory touching the isolated area before the next turn ends.

Seasons

Now that the details of how everything within Faction War is out of the way, we can go into how it all comes together.

First, and perhaps most exciting, is that all the War Asset placement, territory layout, and indeed the entire Faction War itself is cross-platform. No matter if you’re on PC, Xbox, or PS4, you will see the same map and contribute to the same war. This does not, however, mean that the game itself is cross-platform. If you’re on one platform, you will not be able to fight players of another. While many are sure to be disappointed by the latter revelation, I hope everyone can can find a modicum of comfort in knowing that you can freely discuss strategies with friends without worrying about what system they’re on.

‘But how does the war itself play out?’ I hear you ask.

While the war in For Honor is presented as perpetual, the war players will experience will be a little less constant. Instead, the war for players will be broken up into seasons---for the purposes of this, let’s say a little over a month---with each season being broken up into turns---again for expository purposes, we’ll say a week. There are five turns in a season.

While fighting over subdivisions of territory, all stats will be taken into account—again, across all platforms—and the territories will shift depending on how many War Assets are distributed in which subdivisions after every turn. At the end of the fourth turn, the season ends and the faction that controls the most territory wins that season, and they will receive special rewards, including large caches of steel and customisation items unattainable any other way. At that point, the Faction War enters an off-season to reset the map.

As previously stated, you can change your faction allegiance at any time during a season, but doing so will disqualify you from any rewards, so don’t think you can go through a losing season and switch to the winning side for an easy score.

Player Count and Faction Sizes

One thing that might have crossed your mind is the potential imbalance that is likely to occur should one faction simply have more numbers than another, or if one faction is underpopulated compared to the others.

Well, not to worry, because if there is an overpopulated or underpopulated faction, the amount of War Assets those factions receive from matches will be adjusted to keep the overall playing field relatively equal. To be clear, this is not applicable to overall faction population, necessarily, but more in regard to the participation of the members of that faction. So, if you have twice as many Knights laying down War Assets as you do Vikings and Samurai, the overall War Assets given to the latter factions would be amplified to keep in pace with the Knights.

While it might be disappointing for some people to know they can’t dominate a season by grouping together and overpowering the competition through sheer numbers—and will probably elicit complaints from realism sticklers—it’s important to maintain the enjoyment of players regardless of the faction they choose, and for players who care about Faction War, I don’t think there’s any arguing that their enjoyment would be quickly eroded if every season ended with a Viking victory and they are committed to the Samurai.

Conclusion

While it might not be the faction-locked mode that some people *ahem* have asked for, this is shaping up to be one of the more engrossing aspects of For Honor’s multiplayer. It gives players a reason to fight beyond the more basic rewards of gear and steel, and involves every single player in something much grander than simple matches. With time, hopefully we’ll hear your war stories. Good luck, warrior.

Thank you very much for reading this guide to Faction War. If you would like a place to discuss further, join a faction, and strategise in a friendly environment, be sure to join the Hall of Heroes discord by clicking the shield below.

http://i68.tinypic.com/14tlaop.png (https://discord.gg/vzqMAyf)

And be sure to check out the other guides by the HoH and other community members below.

Guide to the Warden (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1487785-Hall-of-Heroes-Warden-Guide-Forums)

Guide to Feints (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1504115-Hall-of-Heroes-s-Guide-to-Feints-Forums)

Guide to the Kensei (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1491253-Hall-of-Heroes-Kensei-Guide-Forums)

Guide to the Orochi (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1509277-Hall-of-Heroes-Orochi-Guide-Forums)

Guide to the Raider (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1499952-Hall-of-Heroes-Raider-Guide)

Also, check out our buddies over at the FHL with their berserker guide (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1515392-For-Honor-Legends-Berserker-Guide)

Here is a another community guide by the community member MercuryX2 based on the Conqueror (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1516042-Very-Basic-Conqueror-Tips)

And another Conqueror Guide (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1533679-El-Conquistador!) by ZenBear

what determines the amount of war assets you get after each match? do winners get more? also i just tought about that but is the score your war assets? like if you finish a match with a score of 450 renown , do you get 450 war assets to deploy? i think thats how it should be , but please explain how it actualy is because i got no clue

Captain.Weegee
02-05-2017, 12:15 AM
Thanks for this great guide, but it is somehow odd , if a knight and stuck in a team with 3 Vikings while the enemy team is full of knights (i read something similar here, but not the same), then would it be better for my faction to loose the match?

If i win the round, the vikings getting stronger, the knights just a little bit, but if my enemy(my faction) wins, it would help my faction much more.
Will not that be a problem?

Avirex_Idyll
02-05-2017, 01:07 AM
Thanks for this great guide, but it is somehow odd , if a knight and stuck in a team with 3 Vikings while the enemy team is full of knights (i read something similar here, but not the same), then would it be better for my faction to loose the match?

If i win the round, the vikings getting stronger, the knights just a little bit, but if my enemy(my faction) wins, it would help my faction much more.
Will not that be a problem?

there is no way of telling what faction your teammates are on. A Raider on your team doesn't mean they are on the Vikings faction. You can play any hero regardless of faction.

Also something I noticed is that when earning war assets, you will be able to deploy more assets in zones that share the game mode in which you earned the assets in. (Example: if I played a dominion game and would deploy assets in a dominion zone i would be able to put down 1200 points whereas if i tried to place assets in Brawl or Duel zones the number would drop to 900.)

Captain.Weegee
02-05-2017, 10:12 PM
there is no way of telling what faction your teammates are on. A Raider on your team doesn't mean they are on the Vikings faction. You can play any hero regardless of faction.

Also something I noticed is that when earning war assets, you will be able to deploy more assets in zones that share the game mode in which you earned the assets in. (Example: if I played a dominion game and would deploy assets in a dominion zone i would be able to put down 1200 points whereas if i tried to place assets in Brawl or Duel zones the number would drop to 900.)

What?^^ Of course you can see in which faction your teammembers and enemies are.
Just look at their emblem, the borders will show you what faction they got:

Square = Samurai
Diamond/Triangle (what ever) = Knights
Circle = viking

http://help.support.ubi.com/images/For_Honor/FH-%20EmblemsOfOld.jpg

Sirrkas
02-05-2017, 10:17 PM

The part about seeing once faction allready got covered.

But I am not sure, if that with the points is right. I saw a bonus as knight, when dropping my bonus from dominion in the brawl area. As far as I understood that boni, it is meant to give the faction with less or less active players a chance. And is meant to prevent something like samurai winnings all the time, when 70 % of the playerbase fights for them, while vikings and knights have 15 % each.

Ikeru_Densetsu
02-09-2017, 12:35 AM
The part about seeing once faction allready got covered.

But I am not sure, if that with the points is right. I saw a bonus as knight, when dropping my bonus from dominion in the brawl area. As far as I understood that boni, it is meant to give the faction with less or less active players a chance. And is meant to prevent something like samurai winnings all the time, when 70 % of the playerbase fights for them, while vikings and knights have 15 % each.

I think this needs to be further balanced because a faction with a significantly larger player-base has several negative side-effects. Some of them being more low-skilled players, who are not interested in coordinating Ressource distribution.