PDA

View Full Version : AC3 database entries - have a look at them once in a whle

Lysette88
12-12-2016, 02:36 PM
AC3's database entry give some background information to locations and characters presented in the game. But not just that, there are often commentaries added, which are related to present day "facts" in real life, which are sometimes hilarious, but sometimes as well mockery of certain groups, which are a bit questionable to me. An example:

The entry for the Old Corner Bookstore in Boston mentions that a lot of (later) famous and important writers met there, like Charles ****ens and Nathaniel Hawthorne. But then it is making a reference to the modern educational standards in US schools and is mocking the player to be most likely under-educated and having no clue where these people actually were and that the entry could have used pure fictional and really ridiculous names as well and the player would have believed them anyway.

Even it might have some truth to it, as far as the education in US schools goes, it is quite disrespectful to the player, who is a paying customer, to mock them in this way. I found this pretty lame to be that disrespectful to younger paying customers from the US - but then again, I thought, how many of them will even read those entries?- Eventually none of them, so they will not even get aware of the mockery, whilst it might be amusing for the older generation and foreigners - still, it is a bit weird, to find entries like that in the database.

RobertMcSassin
12-15-2016, 09:55 PM
Um...Two things, straight off...Maybe three...

First, fair enough...I can appreciate what you're saying...Absolutely...

But...

All the database entries "are written by" the somewhat sarcastic Englishman, Shaun Hastings and should really be taken with that in mind...

Yes, whomever actually did the job for Ubisoft may have taken it too far for some, but as much as I remember, it's all pure Shaun in tone...

And third...It's not actually meant for you ("the game player") as such...It's Shaun taking the wossname out of Desmond as much as anything...(Us being Desmond through the whole of the saga to that point, remember...)...

Again, the writers keeping it Shaun-y...

Ever read the beer entries in Syndicate?...Ye Gods Danny Wallace deserves a medal for his work on this series... :D ...

Again, I completely appreciate where you're coming from though... :) ...

I hope the rest of the database's occasional swipes don't spoil the rest of the game for you...

Lysette88
12-16-2016, 01:06 PM
I am actually more of the amused kind with this - some of the entries are really hilarious, but I think whilst the comment towards the educational system in the US is fair, the comment which actually really is talking to the player and basically tells him, how dumb and uneducated he is, that he would even accept totally ridiculous names as the truth - is a rude mockery of the younger american generation. I am european with good educational baclground (2 masters), so I can be amused about the sarcasm of this entry - but I do not accept the rudeness towards paying american customers with it. And that it is meant to address Desmond - I see this as a pure excuse for being rude to paying customers. Something like this should not be in a game.

And yes, I am one of those who actually read those entries - not necessarily immediately but when I want to have a break, drink some tea, I might just open the database and read through the entries - I mean Ubisoft put effort into those entries, the least I can do is browse through them and read one or the other.

The Shaun.y aspect of it does not count IMO, what if Shaun would make racist comments for example - this is no excuse.

kimberleybkay
01-17-2017, 12:26 AM
I also read those entries and was amused. No, I didn't take it as aimed at the human game player, but rather a poke both at the US educational system and at Desmond - with whom Shaun (really, who spells that name that way?) seems to have some issues.

kitarafan67
01-22-2017, 10:40 PM
I don't think it's swipes, since I barely started playing AC3 and I find some of the database entries are funny, like the King's regulars having lobster claws (I assume Shaun's American Revolution redcoat ancestor is probably rolling in his or her grave on that) and the Ben Franklin entry, if people recognize his genius he, Shaun, would be in cool places, like Portugal, being surrounded by women. While Desmond and the other guys would be left hanging, by that I mean staring at a blank screen.
Shaun reminds me of Arthur Kirkland from Hetalia, but with more thought put into him (I know Arthur is a stereotype or rather, a Japanese stereotype on how they see England).