PDA

View Full Version : Question about Controls

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 02:47 PM
Hi all! I played the BGE demo recently, and I must admit the game is a very humorous and creative mixture, but the controls are totally messed up! So my question is whether the full version will have decent controls for PC? This demo is from 07/09/2003, so there is still hope! Also the game runs very choppy (with my 3GHz machine and R9700Pro), probably due to the unoptimized code. So any official comment from Ubi Soft? I'm really looking forward to this game, but with such controls and bad performance, I won't get it.

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 02:47 PM
Hi all! I played the BGE demo recently, and I must admit the game is a very humorous and creative mixture, but the controls are totally messed up! So my question is whether the full version will have decent controls for PC? This demo is from 07/09/2003, so there is still hope! Also the game runs very choppy (with my 3GHz machine and R9700Pro), probably due to the unoptimized code. So any official comment from Ubi Soft? I'm really looking forward to this game, but with such controls and bad performance, I won't get it.

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 03:56 PM
dude how can you palyed in the demo ver? its not working to me and more peoples
Mighty_Morgoth wrote:

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 04:07 PM
Yeah, the controls are irritating but given the fact that they are working with fixed camera angles it probably is the only way to do it. We now have to control movement with only four keys/angles instead of an analogue controller on a console or the, now useless, mouse.
As for the performance I really have no complaints with my aging AMD 2.1GHz and Geforce4 Ti4400. Everything seems very smooth except for some slowdown on that rooftop sequence, but that seems mostly intentional http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
That said it pretty much seems to be a console (PS2) port and I guess on that platform both your problems will be solved. And since they will probably sell 90% console versions I wouldn't count too much on these PC problems being a priority.

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately I don't own a console, so the PC is my only option. With the choppiness I can live (but anyway I think Ubi has improved the performance since July), but the controls are getting really annoying. E.g. the Legacy of Kain series are also console games, but the controls for the PC port are very comfortable. Hopefully there'll be another demo...

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 05:49 PM
I seem to remember that Soul Reaver gave the user at least some control over the camera (locking-on enemies for instance.) That means that you actually had some idea where you would be going before pressing forward (forward in this case http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The problem with BGE is that it constantly has you guessing which direction has been chosen as forward for any given camera angle (if that makes sense).

Maybe a cheap gamepad with analogue controls for the PC will help a bit, because these exact same controls will probably feel pretty natural on a console.

And I really have no noticable choppiness with this demo right now, so it's very possible that this build รย*s the optimized one already.

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 06:12 PM
Update: Now I've downgraded my video drivers from Cat. 3.7 to 3.5. Now it runs perfect smoothly (but with AA disabled, or you only see a black screen). However, I'll play the demo a little bit more to get better use for the controls. But it would be great when you can customize the controls in the full version at least.

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 05:04 PM
Henprin wrote:
- Yeah, the controls are irritating but given the fact
- that they are working with fixed camera angles it
- probably is the only way to do it.

hum.. no way.. look at silent hill 2 (just like in bge, dynamic cameras)

controls just sucked in the demo

but i read in the press that a team was hired just to optimize controls.. the guy who tested that preview version wrote that controls were really close to perfection.. i don't think he was talking about controls in the demo : )

if you take a look at the new screenshots you will notice that the upper left part of the screen looks like zelda upper right part of the screen. it looks like a lot of work has been done on that crucial part of the game and controls are now more flexible (at least you can bind them to a paddle, keyboard or mouse i guess)

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 09:07 AM
I agree, the controls stink. I'll probably get the GCN version. But hopefully the final version will let you change the controls.