PDA

View Full Version : Movie Sequel may be set in 1950s USA

Sorrosyss
12-11-2016, 11:14 PM
Justin Kurzel has stated in an interview (https://www.facebook.com/AccessTheAnimus/photos/a.368664643234451.1073741825.340276136073302/941140389320204/?type=3) that if the movie is successful then a trilogy is planned, with a sequel possibly being set in 1950s America.

Personally I would not be overly enthralled with this setting. In my view, it would be too modern. As with World War II, the Cold War has been covered numerous times in films and TV series. Frankly I feel there are far better and more unique locations/timeframes that could be used instead of atypical Hollywood settings. It's something the games have not been afraid to do after all.

What is your view on the setting?

Sigma 1313
12-11-2016, 11:43 PM
While I agree, the Spanish Inquisition has also already been done in a game (Assassin's Creed 2: Discovery).

ERICATHERINE
12-11-2016, 11:45 PM
What is your view on the setting?

I don't mind it. I'm neather against it or reverse. I only saw 1 single movie which was set during the cold war, that wasn't science fiction and for the biggest part of the movie, the charaters were hidden inside their family bunker. Everything else about the cold war, that I saw on tv, it was in a informative, so, not a movie.

Of course, I'm not saying it hasn't been done countless times. It's just I hardly saw anything. ^-^

crusader_prophet
12-11-2016, 11:52 PM
If they use the 1950s setting as a modern day platform, I think I'll be interested to see it but definitely not as the historical piece of the movie. On that note, we have seen that Marvel's X-Men Origins worked very well in that setting. However I am skeptical about how much grounded in reality the movie can be bringing in concepts of Pieces of Eden during an age of mechanical warfare.

SixKeys
12-12-2016, 12:29 AM
If they use the 1950s setting as a modern day platform, I think I'll be interested to see it but definitely not as the historical piece of the movie. On that note, we have seen that Marvel's X-Men Origins worked very well in that setting. However I am skeptical about how much grounded in reality the movie can be bringing in concepts of Pieces of Eden during an age of mechanical warfare.

I would love that, actually. It's not like we haven't already seen PoEs used during modern day segments in the games, why would it be any more out of place in the '50s? I'm not wild about the time period as I think there are much more exotic locations and time periods to explore, but a PoE twist could make it somewhat interesting. As long as Callum doesn't lock himself in a fridge to survive a nuclear blast... :p

Speaking of Indiana Jones references, I would freaking die if an AC movie hinted that a PoE was stored in that same massive warehouse we see in Raiders (and then again in Crystal Skull). :D

Project Legacy had a few neat storylines in more modern time periods that would be nice to see explored in more depth, whether in games (maybe the Rifts) or transmedia. I liked one that was set during the famous Christmas Eve in WW1 when soldiers from both sides came together to celebrate. In PL two soldiers crawled out of the trenches to shake hands, one of them wore a Templar ring and as he reached out his hand, he caught a glimpse of the other guy's hidden blade. That kind of subtlety is what I would wish to see from a story set in the 1950s.

SpiritOfNevaeh
12-12-2016, 02:24 AM
I'm on the borderline of yay or nay about this setting, so we can only hope for the best. :)

RVSage
12-12-2016, 07:23 AM
Sounds interesting, but I guess I will reserve judgement on the idea, after we see the first movie, the team really does look positive. looking forward to early critic reviews

Avenger815
12-12-2016, 09:20 AM
Perhaps this is some crossing between older and modern periods? If so, then consider me hooked. :D

RinoTheBouncer
12-12-2016, 01:18 PM
I really hope not.

I'm VERY happy that the movie focused more on modern day than the games ever did. But this would feel like it's set in two modern-looking eras. I'd rather have something ancient vs. something modern. That would be wonderful. Besides, that era is overly done in TV Shows, movies, games..etc. so perhaps a setting that hasn't been seen as much or something that is more interesting yet isn't quite suitable for games, would be wonderful.

It doesn't look like we'll get a game in China. It's a fan favorite but first, we expected a game in China and instead we got AC: Chronicles - China. Then when the rumor came about Assassin's Creed: Empire set in Ancient Egypt. The rumor also said that AC of 2016 set in Japan, has been cancelled and moved to 2017 to be set in Egypt. So if the rumors are true, perhaps there were plans to make a game set in Japan, but then plans changed.

So I really think the next movie can do great, visually at least, if it goes to Japan or China. I also think India would make a wonderful setting for both a movie and game and my all time favorite remains Sumer and Babylon, but I don't know if they'll be touching those in game or movies.

LoyalACFan
12-12-2016, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't be overly thrilled, but then again, I think if they have a story they really want to tell in 1950's America, a movie would be a much better platform than a game to do so. They could really flesh out the whole "New World Order" that was brought up in ACB's glyphs. Don't know how well that would play to a mainstream audience (thought it was rather cheesy myself) but if they're holding onto that, a movie could do wonders for it. I've said it before, I'm not really interested in the modern Abstergo part of the lore anymore, so I'm a bad litmus test for popular opinion, but heyo.

cawatrooper9
12-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Honestly, I think it could really work.

My favorite settings in AC are the ones that aren't overly visited in the videogame genre- stuff like the Third Crusade (typically, Medieval stuff is in Europe), Renaissance-era Constantinople, and the French and Indian War (even though that wasn't the best game historically speaking).

For movies, I think we should try to subvery common settings for action/thrillers. The 50s were a relatively common setting for these type of films for a while, because at one time it was the modern setting. Even in modern Cold War films, we're typically more in the 60s.

Like Loyal said, if the story that they want to tell requires this setting, then we need to use it. It's that simple.

m4r-k7
12-12-2016, 03:54 PM
To be honest, for the movies I don't really care when they are set. Lets just hope the movies are good and break the video game movie curse.

JamesFaith007
12-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Not interested.

I think that such movie would lost typical contrast between modern day and historical part because in 50th it would be just different clothes and cars.

cawatrooper9
12-12-2016, 06:31 PM
I've always wanted a game set across multiple eras. I get that that's hard to do, but it might be easier in film. Maybe 1950s America is just one era that would be visited.

Lysette88
12-14-2016, 04:55 AM
Well, we have seen victorian London in Syndicate at the height of the british empire, without to see anything of the british empire. There would be room for a lot more and there is no continent, where the british empire could not get a foot in the door. A lot of those countries, which were former colonies are to this day in the commonwealth, where Queen Elizabeth II is still the official sovereign. Australia had in 1999 the chance to become a republic, but they rejected the idea (to 55%) and stayed a constitutional monarchy under Queen Elizabeth II. Even colonial times are over, the influence of the british empire is still there and a setting in the late victorian era could tell a story in a lot of regions which are part of the Commonwealth to this day. The british empire could be a very interesting setting.