PDA

View Full Version : My Werewolves Within Review

Kobra Kahn
12-09-2016, 10:02 PM
I purchased this game on Playstation after seeing it demo'd at a VR Conference. I really like the premise but this game misses the mark when you are trying to play. Is it possible to play? Sure! Will you get to play? Probably not.

Let's start out with what's wrong because that is going to really help you determine whether or not you'll get this game.

1. When you first load in after being forced through the tutorial which is fine, you are given two options. Quick Play and Start Server.

Let's start with Quick Play. Hitting this option immediately puts you into a game, but not as a participant. You must wait for the game to be over and so you observe the game waiting for the round to be over and move on to the next one. However, you aren't guaranteed to actually play in the next round. Instead you'll notice that someone else who was before you filled the slot and you are forced to wait for another round for a chance to play. Why just a chance? Well there could be other people ahead of you that you don't know about. You can't see what your position is and if the game is full and no one leaves, you gotta wait until that happens. So the chances of actually playing are very slim.

Now if you have the patience to sit there and wait it out, you may get in eventually, but you won't actually know until the rounds are over.

The issue here is that instead of distributing people to games that aren't full, the game puts you into a multi-player lobby with a line. I sat in numerous games that had 6 people and yet never saw anyone come into the game. When the last players left, 4 of us were stuck waiting for players and yet, none ever came. However when I hit quick play after leaving that game, I am once again back at an 8 player tables with people sitting in line waiting to play that I can't tell... so you sit there and sit there unknowing as to whether or not you'll play in 5 minutes or 50 minutes. You are literally sitting there doing nothing and there is nothing you can do about it. Well almost nothings...

Start Server to the rescue. You can start your own game and sit there as before waiting patiently for someone to join, but you will be sitting there for hours on end unless you have a few friends who you can invite, but those chances are pretty slim. You will sit there and never see another soul for hours. It's a nice ambience sitting around a camp fire, but you'll get bored of it eventually.

Sitting around watching and waiting is not a game I really care to play.

Now there are other things a like the fact that winning gets you nothing. There is no point to winning or losing. The game is just winning and losing for the sake of having fun and we'll talk about that in a minute. There are no points, no stat sheet, no anything to tell you or anyone else how well you are doing in the game. You literally sit there, watching, waiting, with nothing else to do but read the book which is a 3 minute read at best.

Now the actual game part! The game is a blast with the right people. if you like to meet new people and sit around a campfire BSing then you got the right game. The few rounds that I did eventually get to play were hilarious which garnered a lot of "Keep it down" and "You're gonna wake up your son" remarks from my wife who was not amused at the good time I was having because all I was to her was a goofy moron in a headset.

Now the feeling of being there in VR is pretty cool. I enjoy the mechanics they put in and the player expressions are priceless. The people you play with really do make or break the experience and I truly had a blast playing. Talking to people is key and making quips, jokes and other things are great because the goal and motivation is to make sure you are getting people to believe you and I find that I am pretty good at that aspect of the game itself.

So if I hadn't gotten into a game, 1 star cause it's boring sitting around watching and waiting for someone to leave not knowing if they will. The game needs to funnel players into lobby's that aren't full before putting you into a queue that is. It needs to see what games need more people to start and funnel players into those game in addition to that but not putting multiple players into the same queue if it's already in a long.

There are occasional hiccups and bugs, but I don't really think these are a detraction from the game itself and the game itself, when you get into play is a blast and super fun. I do think adding in statistical data outside the game that you can see and others can see if they researched your stats would help to know how many games you have won.

This game though has a lot of potential and I really hope they do what they can to fix it to make it better and actually playable because no one wants to sit around watching people play a game.

CenobiteUK
12-13-2016, 07:08 PM
I think it would be better if the waiting players could see other waiting players as ghosts maybe so at least people don't feel alone. Maybe even let the live players see us as ghosts. I agree waiting in the queue can be frustrating when you wait for a whole game only to find you are still waiting. I often then leave and get straight into a game.

Cpt_Yanni
12-14-2016, 02:17 PM
They should develop a mini-game while waiting in al lobby to get six players... I don't mind waiting while others are playing because it's nice to follow the game and try to guess what their roles are.

Circuitmage
12-14-2016, 09:53 PM
That is a fair review. I personally am blown away by their implementation of Werewolf and think they did an amazing job on character options.

It sounds like many problems of game starts and sitting around waiting will be addressed in the patch.

It definitely is a unique type of game, but the fact they were able to use VR and accomplish this bodes well for other types of games in the future. I have not been overly impressed with VR and this is the first game consistently keeping my headset on.

UbiCeeCee
12-15-2016, 06:48 PM
Hi Kobra,
Thanks for taking the time out to write your review.
To address the 'too many players waiting than there are seats at the circle' issue, we do have a patch currently being reviewed that would fix this.

xDatDude732x
12-18-2016, 07:58 AM
Great game! The only thing this game is missing is some sort of progression system and stat keeping. If you can add something like that into this game, this game would be that much better.

Kobra Kahn
12-20-2016, 05:36 AM
Hi Kobra,
Thanks for taking the time out to write your review.
To address the 'too many players waiting than there are seats at the circle' issue, we do have a patch currently being reviewed that would fix this.

Great - this is the most fun I have had in a long time and I hope the issues get resolved. It's truly a remarkable achievement in social gaming for the future.