PDA

View Full Version : Allow different alphabets for Usernames!

SumomoAsako
12-08-2016, 07:36 AM
We're almost in 2017 and I still can not make my username in Kanji! Most usernames/in-game names are already taken by the mass of Ubisoft game players, so I can not use my desired name and have to add additional letters, or numbers behind it. I can not use my native language either. If something should be the priority is customer comfort regarding this problem.

Also why do I have to install Uplay application, and every time I want to change something, a website opens, why can't the application handle those changes? Makes the application rather pointless. I don't mind it running, but it really is pointless it the state it is now, I wish some of your programmers would snatch some ideas from Steam and make your user experience a lot nicer.

- Allow different alphabets (without region restrictions)
- Allow duplicate usernames (tie accounts to emails if not already)
- Make the main application not open web browsers for every single change

Regards,

andynaruto10
12-09-2016, 12:39 AM
I think the usernames must have only letters from the english alphabet and numbers. Maybe other ASCII characters may work but I doubt it. And I don't think asian alphabets are included. Plus, other people won't be able to read or write your username, or add you as a friend on Uplay. I think the servers may have issues as well with other characters, that's why they only allow english letters and numbers. If you have a windows username with characters other than english letters, some programs or games might not be able to read it and they won't work or create savegames and/or settings.

Duplicate usernames? Impossible, as it would interfere with the other person. Can you have 2 files/folders with the same name? No, same with usernames on a server.

And yeah, some changes cannot be made on the Uplay program, and it sends you on the website. Weird...

SumomoAsako
12-09-2016, 05:41 AM
I know how it is now, you don't have to tell me. I also know how for example Steam handles nicknames, which is a lot better. There are duplicates and pretty much all alphabets supported. You can still add people to friends list weather they use Latin letter or any other type, with menus. As for people reading and understanding, I don't think that's important and should come before customer satisfaction. Steam also allows duplicated names ++, everyone on Steam can rename to the same name if they so desire, Steam wont have a problem with it. Origin works pretty much the same.

All I am saying is modernize uplay to be more comforting to users. As said, most names are already taken, people need to make up new names instead of using their old nicks they've used through ages, or add numbers and letters to it, to make it unique, they don't have a choice. By allow different alphabets, this would already relax the naming scheme, duplicates is only a natural thing. Anyway, I think the whole service is pretty restrictive towards usernames and it shouldn't be.

RdJ1
12-09-2016, 06:00 PM
Then Steam has a different approach to usernames... In Uplay they are used as unique identifiers for the users, in Steam they're not. If Ubisoft wanted to change that, it would require a lot of effort, which they understandably are not willing to put into it. Same goes for non-ASCII characters, that would take effort to implement as well. Things like this might even make it necessary to update old games that use Uplay. Which would more likely just result in broken games, rather than Ubisoft updating them.