PDA

View Full Version : Would a spin-off game set in the Isu Era work?

Elder-Kalakta
12-03-2016, 11:20 PM
I remembered these two games I used to play on the Playstation titled "Abe's Oddysee" and "Abe's Exodus", both were part of the Oddword game series.

In them, you play as a Mudokon slave who had just escaped and you would have to go around the Glukkon's advanced industrial facility and help rescue other Mudokon slaves. You'd sometimes have to carefully guide them across Glukkon security as well as the Slig guards. You could also possess the Sligs which just makes me imagine an escaped human slave using a stolen Apple of Eden to possess some Neanderthal guards and overcome challenges. The amount of slaves you rescued also affected the ending you got.

Years ago, someone on here talked about using those Helix memory rifts that Unity used to explore WW2, but use them to explore the Isu Era. In it, they mentioned how it should be very stealth based and you'd be hiding from Isu slavers as you try to find your way out. You'd be extremely vulnerable and easily terminated if discovered.

I loved the sound of that, because it's the same thing with the Abe games. You get utterly destroyed without a second chance if a Slig or other security systems notice you, there's no ifs or buts around it unless you get lucky or are fast enough to make an escape. The games also have lots of times you are required to do climbing and jumping.

The difference is that the Abe games (the first two) are side scrollers. I imagine this idea to be more 3D like Munch's Oddysee was, but without the health system and heavy emphasis on stealth. I remembered an old Splinter Cell game I checked out in my local Game shop where you had to sneak around and one bullet was enough to kill you. Something along that line.

I think a game like this could work. It'd be cool to either play as a human, or Eve herself. Steal an apple and make an escape with Adam. That Truth video was so intense when you see their frantic breathing and how tense they looked, and Eve's "look out" sounded so dire. I think it'd make a great spin off game that's set in the AC universe but isn't exactly an AC title as it'd have its own core gameplay. It'd borrow a lot from AC in terms of parkour, but it'd have its own mechanics and take some things from Splinter Cell too.

Here's the intros for the first two Abe games I mentioned.

Oddysee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=249vWCD2neQ&t=1s

Exodus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS5fNGHgsj4

ze_topazio
12-04-2016, 12:04 AM
It would work but the historical recreation thing would be gone and that is the main appeal of the series.

SixKeys
12-04-2016, 06:23 AM
I find the Isu's legacy - aka modern human assassins - more interesting than the Isu era itself. It's more intriguing to have little nuggets uncovered bit by bit by humans who don't fully understand the First Civ than to have everything exposed in one go. I can't imagine it'd be very different from every other generic Star Trek-inspired future fantasy. I prefer the balanced mixture of realism and sci-fi in the main series.

Twinfryes
12-05-2016, 12:18 AM
I have to agree with SixKeys; As much as I love speculating about the Isu, I think they work best in the capacity of cryptic beings who we know little about. Something similar to "The Truth" could work; You unlock a file which lets you play a short mission as a member of a band of humans, and are made to think it's simply some kind of Ice Age setting until the end of the Memory hits you with some kind of a twist, like an Isu emerging from the woods and taking control of all the humans in camp, or something of that sort. I don't think a full spin off could work though; There's something satisfying to me about the Crypticism of it all, and I'd hate for Ubisoft to ruin that by showing too much. Some things are better left mysterious.

Elder-Kalakta
12-05-2016, 04:43 AM
I think you guys have raised some very good points and I would have to agree with a lot of the things you've brought up.

The mystery is what allows tons of speculations and that's fun. When I thought of this thread, I wasn't specifically thinking about Ubisoft giving us any big answers. I imagined most of the game would actually take place in some Isu factory and you'd have to be trying to sneak out of it and into the forests outside while helping out fellow human slaves, you'd hardly even run into a Precursor and more likely into a Neanderthal or a human guard or some other First Civilization security systems.

I like the scenario you brought up EruditoOtidure, about them making it look like an Ice Age and then boom, out of nowhere, a PoE wielding "god" comes out and subjugates everyone before the memory abruptly ends.

This'll help bring back the historical recreation that ze_topazio mentioned would be gone in my original post. Because it'd technically be shown as a prehistoric setting but with a twist ending.

And SixKeys, I agree with the balance thing, that's always important. Now that I think about it, this'll probably work a lot better as a memory rift you unlock, or even another short "Truth" style video like in AC-2. I honestly wouldn't mind a really short level though... something along the lines of what my friend suggested above I can see working really well. It's mysterious, it gives us a small glimpse into the world without showing us what Isu had for supper, and it sounds really cool (no Ice Age pun intended).

cawatrooper9
12-06-2016, 04:38 PM
I'd like it, but I think a more realistic option is for Isu era rifts in future games. With Project Phoenix, either of these ideas might be in the works, really.

MageAquarius20
02-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Why must everything be a mystery? Why not just experiencing and reveling in the beautiful world of the Isu and be finally done with the story, instead of milking it. Why not solve and experience the World of the Isu instead of ruining it with Cowardice and ignorance? Are you really so afraid to know more about perhaps the most interesting aspect of AC because you are afraid of a disappointing exposition? What you want is no mystery, its just a glorified plot hole you call "mystery" The most fun of a mystery is TO SOLVE IT AND NOT TO KEEP IT, you living in a mystery bubble is just ruining the whole thing and is just worse than milking the whole franchise, because you ruin with it great potential. Without a proper exposition to this world, there would be NO knowledge about them and people wouldn't be even capable of understanding it due to keeping things convoluted and in the dark for stupid reasons. By your logic we shouldn't even have the Kennway saga because you want to keep it secret, which is a silly and cowardly thing to do. Nothing should be kept a secret in a game, unless these things are grossing. I would rather have an Isu trilogy than a new Bayek game to be honest, because we could get a new and more imaginative world that is finally something worth of being called unique. Mysteries are there to be solved, not to be kept and keeping the Isu away was the worst decision in the whole franshise and would hurt it more.

joshoolhorst
02-27-2018, 12:19 PM
Why must everything be a mystery? Why not just experiencing and reveling in the beautiful world of the Isu and be finally done with the story, instead of milking it. Why not solve and experience the World of the Isu instead of ruining it with Cowardice and ignorance? Are you really so afraid to know more about perhaps the most interesting aspect of AC because you are afraid of a disappointing exposition? What you want is no mystery, its just a glorified plot hole you call "mystery" The most fun of a mystery is TO SOLVE IT AND NOT TO KEEP IT, you living in a mystery bubble is just ruining the whole thing and is just worse than milking the whole franchise, because you ruin with it great potential. Without a proper exposition to this world, there would be NO knowledge about them and people wouldn't be even capable of understanding it due to keeping things convoluted and in the dark for stupid reasons. By your logic we shouldn't even have the Kennway saga because you want to keep it secret, which is a silly and cowardly thing to do. Nothing should be kept a secret in a game, unless these things are grossing. I would rather have an Isu trilogy than a new Bayek game to be honest, because we could get a new and more imaginative world that is finally something worth of being called unique. Mysteries are there to be solved, not to be kept and keeping the Isu away was the worst decision in the whole franshise and would hurt it more.

..... Oke..... Have fun.....

joshoolhorst
02-27-2018, 12:23 PM
I find the Isu's legacy - aka modern human assassins - more interesting than the Isu era itself. It's more intriguing to have little nuggets uncovered bit by bit by humans who don't fully understand the First Civ than to have everything exposed in one go. I can't imagine it'd be very different from every other generic Star Trek-inspired future fantasy. I prefer the balanced mixture of realism and sci-fi in the main series.

Look that is one of my problems with the Isu era and that is that it looks generic as ****. Nothing personal against the artists and writers but it just looks generic and everything there is basicly WHITE/YELLOW/BLACK/BLUE. Everything really looks the same to me there and the games keep expanding on the era with messages and different kind of Isu armor you can unlock so yeah.

MageAquarius20
03-25-2018, 11:02 PM
The Isu Era is perhaps the most unique and interesting looking period in AC, even more so than the Crusades or the Rennesaice or the Modern Setting. NOTHING about this setting is Generic at all, itīs fresh and much fascinating than other Eras due to itīs mystery and astouning Architecture that gives us a Green fragrance paired with itīs Sci fi Beauty. You can dislike them, but you cannot deny that they are a part of AC Lore.