PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: Revelations assets permission and potential stolen assets.

guest-LFVpVKy0
12-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Greetings,

I am theblackpixel, gamer and modder for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Recently I encountered a mod which had a vast array of high quality assets, but very low overall quality and detail.
As a modder I saw enormous potential in the resources, and wanted to ask permission to use them, as is the norm in the community. However some of the assets really reminded me of Assassin's Creed Revelations. Upon further inspection and with the help of my cousin I discovered many assets were taken directly from the AC game without any reminder of the copyright owner and the product it was derived from. I wonder if it's allowed to use these assets freely or if this is considered theft, as I myself obviously don't want to infringe upon copyrighted material.

The mod using the assets is named 'World of Rudra' and is a chinese product.
accesing the files is a complicating process, perhaps because the author knew some assets were stolen.
here's the source link:

http://bbs.3dmgame.com/thread-4782404-1-1.html

Some of the copied assets I found:

http://imgur.com/a/QTdeI

TBP

strigoi1958
12-03-2016, 05:44 PM
there are lots of similarities between games, but that is something I would think is normal. If you consider that a lot of devs learned exactly the same things and how to do things. I'm sure there are basic templates out there somewhere that people can use and if buildings in one region/ area/ country look a certain shape or design then many games set in that place and time would need to have similar buildings to appear realistic. Also, some game devs and programmers have worked for many companies and I assume they have used some things in many games even if they have changed them.

But it is interesting that you found them, you obviously have a good eye for detail.

Lysette88
12-04-2016, 01:16 AM
China is giving a damn about copyright, just look at their car manufacturers, which copy the shape of foreign cars and car dealers sometimes even offer to put a fake foreign brand plate on a newly bought chinese copy car. So it does not make me wonder, that this mod, which is mentioned, is a chinese product. In countries, which comply with copyright laws, creating products which even might look alike some other product are against the law, even they are made as an original, not all such cases are getting to court though.