PDA

View Full Version : AC3 December 7th Uplay for free

joshoolhorst
11-30-2016, 09:09 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/30/assassins-creed-3-is-the-final-free-ubisoft-game

Locopells
12-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Dammit, I was expecting AC1, so that I could finally have all the ACs in Uplay...

http://i.imgur.com/8kKFfrZ.jpg (https://support.ubi.com)
Thanks to strigoi1958 for the sig!

Lysette88
12-01-2016, 06:37 PM
AC 1 is actually independent from Uplay, it is not connected to it. Being bound to Uplay started with AC2.

IMO it would have been better if they would have given away a game which is more like Assassin's Creed than AC3. For excample AC Unity would have been a good move to show off, that all the negative which came up with it's release is finally basically solved and that the game is very playable and enjoyable now. People who haven't bought it yet are unlikely to buy it in the future, there is just too much negativity about this game out there - while in fact Ubisoft has fixed the game, at least I did not run in too many weird stuff playing it so far. A few glitches sometimes, but I saw glitches as well in Syndicate, all not really game breaking stuff, just a little weird sometimes. But which game with a huge game world doesn't have one or the other glitch?

If they would have given away AC Unity, this would have given new life blood to the multiplayer aspect of Unity - IMO this would overall have been a smarter move.

SixKeys
12-02-2016, 12:57 PM
AC1 would have made a lot more sense. Good entry for newcomers, first time on Uplay to complete the collection and a good way to show where the series started and how far it has come. But no, let's gift everyone the worst entry in the entire series. :rolleyes:

Farlander1991
12-02-2016, 04:53 PM
AC 1 is actually independent from Uplay, it is not connected to it. Being bound to Uplay started with AC2.

There's difference between 'bound to Uplay' and 'available on Uplay'. A lot of games that are not bound to Uplay are still available there (it is a store platform after all), AC1 included. (http://store.ubi.com/upc/us/assassin-s-creed-director-s-cut-edition/56c4947f88a7e300458b468e.html)

I was expecting AC1 to be the game as well, considering how a lot of titles that were 'first' given out - PoP: Sands of Time (first in SoT trilogy), Rayman Origins (while not the first Rayman game, it's the first one of the new iteration of it), first Splinter Cell.... ending Ubi30 with giving out the first of what's really the current flagship title seemed like a logical thing to do. The choice of AC3 seems weird to me. Just because it's quite unfriendly to newcomers with a LOT of lore and previous baggage. Even if AC1 wouldn't have been given out, a game like AC4 seems like a more logical choice. I dunno.

cawatrooper9
12-02-2016, 06:29 PM
The thing with AC3 is that it kind of demands more of a player (lore-wise) than almost any other game.
I guess ACB or ACR could arguably fall in here too, but I honestly feel like all of the Desmond saga builds off the last title. ACIII might have some different mechanics and a new hero, but it's hardly a jumping off point for new players. I don't think it's fair to say it's the worst game in the series (I really like it!) but it's probably one of the worst games for new players to try, maybe alongside Rogue.

Though... with the recent release of the Ezio remasters, maybe that's exactly what Ubisoft was wanting- a game that's relatively foreign to players who haven't touched the earlier titles that just so happen to have seen a recent rerelease. Almost like how a $5.00 coupon for a restaurant hardly pays for your bill, but still makes it more likely you'll dine and spend money there.

Not a bad tactic, really.

Black_Widow9
12-02-2016, 09:49 PM
Slightly off-topic but why wouldn't you want more free stuff! In case you didn't know, we also have the 30 Days of Giving (https://30days.ubi.com/Promotion/Calendar) happening right now. :D

Lysette88
12-03-2016, 12:09 AM
There's difference between 'bound to Uplay' and 'available on Uplay'. A lot of games that are not bound to Uplay are still available there (it is a store platform after all), AC1 included. (http://store.ubi.com/upc/us/assassin-s-creed-director-s-cut-edition/56c4947f88a7e300458b468e.html)

I was expecting AC1 to be the game as well, considering how a lot of titles that were 'first' given out - PoP: Sands of Time (first in SoT trilogy), Rayman Origins (while not the first Rayman game, it's the first one of the new iteration of it), first Splinter Cell.... ending Ubi30 with giving out the first of what's really the current flagship title seemed like a logical thing to do. The choice of AC3 seems weird to me. Just because it's quite unfriendly to newcomers with a LOT of lore and previous baggage. Even if AC1 wouldn't have been given out, a game like AC4 seems like a more logical choice. I dunno.

Well, yes, I am buying on steam, not on uplay - and there it says that no uplay is required to play AC1. Actually I started with buying that because it is not bound to Uplay - lots of bad rumours about the platform can be found on many sites - but I wanted to play the other games as well and so I made a Uplay account - and actually, Uplay is not as bad as people say it would be, nor is Ubisoft. At least my experience is a positive one so far. Given, that I never buy games near the release date - all are more or less buggy, so I wait until they are somewhat fixed and playable. Doing it like this leaves a more pleasant experience - I would eventually think different about Ubisoft, if I would buy games at launch. At least Ubisoft is fixing their games, like Unity, I have pretty much no issues with this game, it runs fine after a few tweaks on my part and those glitches which can still be found are not game breaking or reducing the fun. So I am a pretty happy customer so far, I really love Assassin's Creed and Far Cry Primal - which is currently my favorite game, this and Syndicate.

SixKeys
12-03-2016, 05:28 AM
Well, yes, I am buying on steam, not on uplay - and there it says that no uplay is required to play AC1. Actually I started with buying that because it is not bound to Uplay - lots of bad rumours about the platform can be found on many sites - but I wanted to play the other games as well and so I made a Uplay account - and actually, Uplay is not as bad as people say it would be, nor is Ubisoft. At least my experience is a positive one so far. Given, that I never buy games near the release date - all are more or less buggy, so I wait until they are somewhat fixed and playable. Doing it like this leaves a more pleasant experience - I would eventually think different about Ubisoft, if I would buy games at launch. At least Ubisoft is fixing their games, like Unity, I have pretty much no issues with this game, it runs fine after a few tweaks on my part and those glitches which can still be found are not game breaking or reducing the fun. So I am a pretty happy customer so far, I really love Assassin's Creed and Far Cry Primal - which is currently my favorite game, this and Syndicate.

I agree with you on Uplay. I've never understood why people hate it so much. Sure, it started with draconic DRM but that's been gone for many years. It has always played nice with Steam for me, too. I think it's a bandwagon thing where people just like to hate on it because they dislike having to run a separate program for certain games, but I find it really unintrusive.