PDA

View Full Version : Learned something new and helpful in 109...

XyZspineZyX
09-29-2003, 10:53 AM
Well I was in a bind with a P-39 eating me up. My windshield was full of holes, and covered in oil. Then things got worse as my engine burst into flames.

What to do? Well I cut the power down to 0%, and killed the motor. Yup turned it slap off, and waalaa the fire stopped! Anyway the P-39 shooting me must have figured as most do when a fighter erupts into flame it's over for them.

Haha not me! I used my available airspeed, and altitude and made a gentle turn for base. My airspeed and altitude was enough to clear me from the fight with no pressing attackers.

I cleared the mountains, but it came time. I hit the I key praying the engine would start. It did! I gently eased the power forwar to 60% just enough to keep me flying level.
I still had another mountain to clear though so I pushed the throttle forward to 90%. Big mistake as she began to burn again. So I shut her down, and cut power again. As soon as the fire stopped I started it up again, and pushed the power back up to 60%.

Yet I lost both airspeed, and altitude. Luckily anyway I dropped combat flaps, and managed to barely clear the tree's at the top of the mountain. Then shortly after the engine slap stopped, and simply refused to restart.
I could see my base, and aimed for the end of the runway watching my airspeed religiously. Dropping flaps as well as gear as it began to drop slowly.

Touched down a way before the end of the runway raised the flaps, and coasted onto the airfield dead stick!

Man it felt good getting that on the ground safe and sound message. Also knowing that Mr. P-39 was totally robbed of what should have been a kill. lol

Every take-off is optional, but every landing is mandatory!

XyZspineZyX
09-29-2003, 10:53 AM
Well I was in a bind with a P-39 eating me up. My windshield was full of holes, and covered in oil. Then things got worse as my engine burst into flames.

What to do? Well I cut the power down to 0%, and killed the motor. Yup turned it slap off, and waalaa the fire stopped! Anyway the P-39 shooting me must have figured as most do when a fighter erupts into flame it's over for them.

Haha not me! I used my available airspeed, and altitude and made a gentle turn for base. My airspeed and altitude was enough to clear me from the fight with no pressing attackers.

I cleared the mountains, but it came time. I hit the I key praying the engine would start. It did! I gently eased the power forwar to 60% just enough to keep me flying level.
I still had another mountain to clear though so I pushed the throttle forward to 90%. Big mistake as she began to burn again. So I shut her down, and cut power again. As soon as the fire stopped I started it up again, and pushed the power back up to 60%.

Yet I lost both airspeed, and altitude. Luckily anyway I dropped combat flaps, and managed to barely clear the tree's at the top of the mountain. Then shortly after the engine slap stopped, and simply refused to restart.
I could see my base, and aimed for the end of the runway watching my airspeed religiously. Dropping flaps as well as gear as it began to drop slowly.

Touched down a way before the end of the runway raised the flaps, and coasted onto the airfield dead stick!

Man it felt good getting that on the ground safe and sound message. Also knowing that Mr. P-39 was totally robbed of what should have been a kill. lol

XyZspineZyX
09-29-2003, 11:11 AM
It keept you busy just to stay alive I presume?

XyZspineZyX
09-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Well on a server with limited pilots, and planes it's important to survive, and if all possible return with some form of an aircraft. Else noobs like me just lose a bunch of airplanes and pilots. I'll typically eject when I know I'm done, but I decided to stick with it. I had already lost 2 aircraft to P-39's, and had only downed 1 P-39 so I didn't want to lose a third.

Plus I always play the game as if it were real. Thats why I only play servers which are full real. The only exceptions are the speedbar, and minimap path which I can tolerate.

But no I never just bail or ditch or hit refly just to get a fresh aircraft. As most of the servers I play on limit them so being lazy just hurts others.

XyZspineZyX
09-29-2003, 12:31 PM
I always try and get the plane home as well.

Trouble is that I have not been able to put a fire out by stopping the engine and got badly burn't last flight.

Never mind, its a nice hospital with pretty nurses and a couple of weeks away from the front will do me good.

Cpt-Madcowz
Comsa (http://www.comsa.co.uk)

"When the hunter comes, the tiger runs with the deer."

XyZspineZyX
09-29-2003, 12:33 PM
Agree!
Bring the plane home after use.

XyZspineZyX
09-29-2003, 01:10 PM
I found for some reason or another you have to pull the throttle back also. As the second time it flamed I simply cut the motor. It was burning and I was slightly wounded so I cut throttle, and the fire went out.

XyZspineZyX
09-29-2003, 02:01 PM
I wonder if cutting the throttle stops the flow of fuel to the engine.

Cpt-Madcowz
Comsa (http://www.comsa.co.uk)

"When the hunter comes, the tiger runs with the deer."