PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: Heresy - Lore Analysis and Discussion (Spoilers)

Sorrosyss
11-30-2016, 01:19 AM
http://i.imgur.com/NB12a1M.jpg

Assassin's Creed: Heresy is a new novel, exploring the history of Joan of Arc and the Modern Day Templar Order. Frankly if you love the lore of either, I highly encourage you to pick up the book, as I found it a genuinely engaging read that interconnects to existing lore in a brilliant fashion. Finally, it also neatly leads certain characters directly into the upcoming movie - therefore consider it a prequel if you will.

Anyway, if you have read it, or are curious about some of the lore events - do read on. Here are a few things I picked up on.

(Warning: FULL SPOILERS follow)

The Inner Sanctum of The Templar Order

"The human body has its heart. The Earth has its core. All things have a center, whence comes their deepest strength. The Templar Order, too, has its Inner Sanctum. Nine there must be, three times three."

We've known about the Inner Sanctum for some time now, and a few of its members. But the book actually confirms the full Nine leaders of the modern Templar Order as of 2016;

Alan Rikkin (CEO, Abstergo Industries)
Laetitia England (Head of Operations, Abstergo)
Agneta Reider (CEO, Abstergo Financial Group)
David Kilkerman (Head, Animus Project)
Dr. Mitsuko Nakamura (Director, Lineage Research and Acquisition)
Dr. Álvaro Gramática (Head, Future Technology Division)
Juhani Otso Berg (Operations, Abstergo)
Simon Hathaway (Historical Research Division, Abstergo) [Replaced Isabelle Ardant]
Alfred Stearns (Advisor - Retired Head of Operations, Abstergo)

Animus Model 4.35

http://i.imgur.com/7PDa9Gw.png

We are introduced to the newest Animus model in operation, based in the London Abstergo headquarters. It is actually a slightly more up to date version than that seen in the upcoming movie, which is the 4.3 model. The main difference, the new model no longer requires a spinal tap - as seen inflicted on Callum Lynch. As opposed to the older models which required you to lay still, these newer models encourage movement within a contained environment. This has been proven to reduce nausea, and improve muscle memory which in turns leads to swifter synchronization and Bleeding Effect benefits.

Sword of Eden Restored

http://i.imgur.com/atjhDqF.png

The previously defunct Piece of Eden, once used by Arno Dorian and currently in the possession of Alan Rikkin, has been restored to full functionality thanks to the recovery of the Heart - a piece that was once discarded into a river in the 15th century. As such, Abstergo now has a fully functioning Isu weapon to replicate. The implications for the Assassins are quite dire.

The Fate of Joan of Arc

http://i.imgur.com/RgwcCPG.jpg

Within the AC universe, Joan has a very high Precursor DNA value. It is believed this was why she was able to use the Sword of Eden so easily. In a twist, she also survived her infamous death, by switching places with a loyal follower. To this end, it is suggested she even then went on to bear a child with another individual (Gabriel Laxart) whom also had high Precursor DNA. It may well be possible that Arno Dorian was somehow descended from Joan herself.

In real life, Joan famously insisted that she was guided by three angels - the voices of Archangel Michael, Saint Margaret, and Saint Catherine. Given her Isu connections, it is strongly implied that she was in fact in communion with three First Civilization members. The Templars believe one of them to be Consus, but I cannot help but think that the three angels sound like a certain other trio we are familiar with...

http://i.imgur.com/ALLERmj.png

Charlotte de la Cruz

http://i.imgur.com/WuOwKV2.png

It is specifically mentioned that Abstergo are actually aiming to capture her alive, as their research suggests she has abnormally high levels of Precursor DNA. This fits with what we have seen within the Titan Comics, where she has exhibited some extra sensory abilities such as precognition, and even a golden Eagle Vision - something we have only really seen from Sages. In short, it simply reiterates her importance in the current Modern Day plotline, and my personal hope that she may end up playing a major part within the next game.

Victoria Bibeau

http://i.imgur.com/EQljGY4.png

Famous from the Abstergo Entertainment Employee Handbook and the untimely demise of Robert Fraser, she has also been present at The Aerie facility (Last Descendants novel) overseeing the potential Ascendance event. She looks over Simon Hathaway throughout his adventures within the new Animus, where she reports directly to Alan Rikkin. This character is clearly climbing up the ranks, as she is crossing over several different stories now.

Alan Rikkin / Omega Team

http://i.imgur.com/G0M0vPG.png

At the end of the book, Alan is heading to Madrid to meet his daughter Sofia - the location where he is sited within the upcoming movie. He makes direct contact with Omega Team, whom as their name suggests are used for 'endings'. Quite what this suggests is at this point unclear, but he mentions that it may be time to initiate the 'Double Epsilon.' Read into that what you will...

Notice anything else? Do join in. :)

Elder-Kalakta
11-30-2016, 05:40 AM
Wow! That's some amazing stuff there.

Where have we seen Sages (and Charlotte) use golden eagle vision? I would love to see those. I got the comics and recall a panel where we see some vents through walls, was that her Eagle Vision?

I must get my hands on this book. I gotta get Last Descendants too.

Sorrosyss
11-30-2016, 01:42 PM
You are correct, that was one instance where she had a yellow hued Eagle Vision. There was another, but I'll have to dig through the comics again to find it. As for Sages, Germain saw images in the yellow hue when he awoke as a Sage.

I find Charlotte's precognition pretty interesting. I can't think of many instances of that in AC outside of the Isu themselves. Certainly there are a few Assassins displaying postcognition - such as Ezio and Aveline seeing past events whilst investigating areas in Eagle Vision. Makes you wonder just how much more powerful, and indeed what other abilities, one might obtain from a higher count of Isu DNA.

Elder-Kalakta
12-01-2016, 12:21 AM
I see. This is really interesting though, a golden Eagle Vision. Could this be closer to the purer stuff and the blue one is the diluted form?

Yeah, also don't forget Arno's mind reading one. Do you think that was actually a "Calculation" at work without him even realizing it? Only instead of predicting the future, he did some hardcore probability, logic and guesswork on likely past events that lead to the present? To us it'll look like him touching them and reading their minds, but to him, it was something else.

Sorrosyss
12-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Hard to say as yet. Hopefully Charlotte's powers will get explained before the comics finish. As for Arno, that was supposedly the Helix system's way of displaying the "White Rooms" properly. The assumption then being that's what all Assassins truly saw at assassination.

But anyway, getting off topic a bit. :) Anyone have any other thoughts on the book?

ERICATHERINE
12-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Who is the character who relieve Joan's memories. ^-^

RobertMcSassin
12-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Thoughts on the book?...Only that after reading that awesome work up there, I can't wait to actually read it!... :D ...(Xmas prezzie from McWifey...)...

Fair dues, that's a properly excellent rundown...Well done!... :) ...

RVSage
12-06-2016, 07:52 PM
Woaaah, hope we see more of Charlotte in the games

Sorrosyss
12-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Who is the character who relieve Joan's memories. ^-^

It's done through Simon Hathaway, the Templar. He actually relives Gabriel Laxart, whom was a close friend of Joan. He ironically trained as an Assassin.

ERICATHERINE
12-06-2016, 11:04 PM
It's done through Simon Hathaway, the Templar. He actually relives Gabriel Laxart, whom was a close friend of Joan. He ironically trained as an Assassin.

Thanks. ^-^

RobertMcSassin
12-31-2016, 12:12 PM
I'm very much enjoying Heresy at the moment...Excellent story, very enjoyable...

I just wish they'd proof-read the bleedin' thing before publishing...

There's a couple of horrible sections where scenes run one into another with no break, just on the next line...

One bit where the psych - Victoria - is talking to Simon, which runs straight into the psych having a conversation with Alan Rikkin, which runs straight into a completely separate thing with Simon's ex-girlfriend...The same thing happens in the very next chapter!...

loving the story, and once these scene arse-ups are run into and sorted out, the book is fantastic so far...I just wish they'd kept a proper eye on what they were doing on the editing/publishing front... :/ ...

Looking forward to seeing how Simon finds out that Gabriel ended up training with the Assassins... :D ...Simon knows they're there, but it's not obvious to them back then, yet...

joshoolhorst
12-31-2016, 12:28 PM
Sorry but I found the book not interesting at all. In The Modern Day sections nothing was happening and the characters were just waiting to get into the Animus, Joan was interesting I give it that but the book is not readable if you don't know much about the lore of the games which I think is not a very good idea when we just started to get the books over to the new audience for the books.
I thought there wasn't detail how the characters looked so I had no idea for the most of the time but I got some information though so I am glad but I skipped some parts of the book because I thought it was just boring. But I see people enjoy it here so it's just me

RobertMcSassin
12-31-2016, 01:00 PM
But I see people enjoy it here so it's just me

Dude, if you didn't like it, fair enough!...It's a shame, but hey, even within the games there's enough discussion and debate about which games are good and for whatever reason... :) ...No biggie, a shame is all...At least you gave it a go!...

Clearly this book was written on the back of Golden's writing of the film tie-in...So Heresy is set, quite firmly, within the film-verse...

Not sure what you mean with the "...Nothing was happening..." though...I'm liking what's going on with the modern day stuff...There's enough in there to make it intriguing...There's plenty of stuff going on behind the main character's back, that's for sure...And clearly we've got Jeremy Irons' Rikkin plotting something to do with - in all likelihood - Otso Berg...

I agree it's light on the descriptive - though not completely without it, it just takes a while to get around to it...Though I tend to put other actors in place anyways, so I'm not complaining much...Clearly... :D ...

Again, shame you didn't like it...But hey, that's something Assassin's Creed related for you!... :D ...